sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Flavor is better
Novice

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Flavor is better »

New to this, what if any would be the difference in this recipe if you simmered the feed at 150f for an hour with 4gal water, racked it off and so on?
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Besides a gelatinous mess?

tp
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Flavor is better wrote:New to this, what if any would be the difference in this recipe if you simmered the feed at 150f for an hour with 4gal water, racked it off and so on?
Sounds like you been watching Youtube. Mashing grains is a bit more complicated than that. For this recipe, no cooking is necessary. The sugar and to a lesser extent, the molasses, is there to produce the alcohol. The grain is for flavor.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Flavor is better wrote:New to this, what if any would be the difference in this recipe if you simmered the feed at 150f for an hour with 4gal water, racked it off and so on?
Oh. By the way, it's accepted that first-time posters hit the Welcome Center to introduce themselves to the forum before getting too involved here.
Looking forward to your introductory post! :wave:

tp
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

I may be the first to stall one. Has 2 gen2, thought one was done, when i put hydrometer in it jumped back out basically. Tried re-habbing by thinning it out and new yeast with total failure. Other g2 done same day fine. Can't win them all, i spz. Hate to see good grain, sugar, and yeast go to the squirrels.
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

What was the pH? Gravity reading? Still bubbling? Temperature?

tp
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

Okay,
I see there has been a lot of discussion on using "feed grain" here but I personally don't have a problem with it..
That being said does this have anything that would stop fermentation ? I don't see anything that I have read about but would like the opinion of someone using sweet feed. I know there is a lot listed in this post but I am quite undecided after all the opinions. The grains seem to be good.
http://blueseal.com/files/feeding-and-m ... Grains.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

There are a crap load of ingredients that are not corn, oats, barley, or molasses. I would be wary of using it.

My SF (wet cob) only contains those 4 ingredients. Not sure why you would be thinking of trying something with "natural and artificial flavoring" :sick:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have done a bunch of sweetfeed washes and mashes. Most times I mix my own and cook everything and then mash with 6 row barley then add fancy molasses after it is converted. I have also mashed the sweetfeed mixes I get from the feed store. Cooked it all and added liquid enzymes to it along with a bit of malted barley . I typically get a FG of 1.058 to 1.063 for my mashes . I have also done the standard wash version by just adding sugar and using the sweetfeed mix for flavor. They all have a distinctively different flavor when finished and aged.
The very best sweetfeed mix I have found is Kruse's Perfection 4 way mix. It is very clean and all it has is rolled corn, rolled barley, re cleaned oats, and fancy molasses. Good stuff.
PA020001.JPG
dartanyan
Novice

Post by dartanyan »

Kruses perfection is also the brand I use.
suspect this is regional brand works every time for me at least.
my way is to start with warm water and 2 pounds each per gallon.
adjust SG and temp with cool water pitch with DADY. Ferment is longer
with this yeast but it will go dry. Toasted charred local white oak and 3 weeks you can
sit on your front porch and contemplate. Dar
acts of the wolf
Novice

Post by acts of the wolf »

Hey beginner1 I just set up my ferment of sweetfeed on Tuesday afternoon using Blueseal wildlife grains. I had an og of 1.070 just checked a half hour ago and down to 0.998, gonna rack off tomorrow morning and let rest. I'll let you know if it ends up being a crappy choice bud.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

Yes, please let me know. Evidently it ferments out fine. Feel free to PM me with your results. Looking forward to hear how it comes out.
acts of the wolf
Novice

About noon I racked it and it was at 0.992, a few bubbles here and there but it should just be froom the grain bed. Letting clear now.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

You going for a second gen. ?
acts of the wolf
Novice

Yes I'll be doing a second gen, only racked half off so the bed and yeast are safe.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Farmboy
Novice

Post by Farmboy »

hi gang, started a 15 gal. batch today, only had 17# of sweet feed left, so added 5.5 # cracked corn to the mix. put in 21 # sugar and had an SG of 1.063 after temp correction. this should be good. wish me luck!
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

AOW,
How did the B S sweet feed work out?
acts of the wolf
Novice

Letting air out now, finished running about 3:30 pm yesterday. So far no off smells or flavors so I say good to go with the blue seal bud.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

Thanks AOW,
Going to try it next. Got some left from deer feeding. They seem to like it.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Gonna give this a shot as an all grain, this weekend. Combination enzymes and malt...plus a little more cracked corn. I've wanted to try this ever since I joined the site years ago. Using the Tractor Supply all grain version.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Well, have the bags here....but no idea how much usable grain is in there for starch conversion/sugar? oats appear to be whole versus rolled and I don't expect much starch from oats anyway.

Decided to use the 50lb bag of TS All Grain, 4lbs cracked corn, 4lbs steam rolled barley, 1 brick (lb) of panela with 24 gal of water. Heat it all up like I would for cracked corn (190'ish) for 3 hours, use the high temp enzymes, let her steep until 148 and add 5lbs malted barley, more enzymes and see what turns out. Plan on using bakers yeast.

If it works well....may fill my last 5 gal barrel with it. Can't guess on how the molasses (rum) will mix with the grain....can't wait to try it.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

You might also try converting the grains first - corn, oats and barley and then add molasses/panela just before pitching the yeast. Might be a little less messy to work with.
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

I believe the oats and molasses are already in the TS all grain sweet feed. He is just adding addition corn and barley to it.
Might be some "natural and artificial flavorings".
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Recently started a gen 2 of sweetfeed wash. Upon putting backset, sugar and new grain back in to fermenter two day after racking off gen 1. My grain bed and two gallons of water developed a lactic infection. Is this okay?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

As long as it don't smell pukey, it's probably OK. After adding your new ingredients for gen 2, keep an eye on it. If it doesn't start up in a day or two, check the PH and adjust if necessary. A lactic infection will produce its own souring effect, so it's possible that it could drop the PH even lower than the added backset.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Not to bad on pukey smell still smells like sweet feed. But is milky in color. Started bubbling next morning. Seems everything is fine.
rollmeown
Bootlegger

Post by rollmeown »

Running off that 2nd gen sf today. Never had a run that tails smell and taste like tails but proof out at 120? Gen 2 mixed with left overs from gen 1. Thinking I should quit soon but can I add backset into gen 3 fermenter?
Sgt-Greywolf
Novice

Post by Sgt-Greywolf »

I'm only a few years shy of bein' on the ground floor of this conversation, but I have to ask (hoping beyond hope I'll get an answer) ... why do you use so much yeast. You appear to be using the same recipe for the most part that comes from the parent site, but you're using a whole lot more than the other person using the same recipe?? Does more yeast improve the taste? Increase alcohol? Thanks
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

...can I add backset into gen 3 fermenter?
Yep and you should. Do 25% of your fermenter load but keep an eye on the pH. Backset is very acidic.
why do you use so much yeast.
Many ttimes it's to get a heathy-sized colony established quickly rather than using a little and depending on reproduction rate before running out of oxygen and shifting to ethanol production.

tp
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

More yeast only reduces lag time and helps quell bacterial infection... Yeast has no effect on the amount of alcohol produced as only fermentable sugars have an effect on that...

Now I have to razz you about needing to do more research because I'm sure there are other basic questions that you don't yet know the answers to, but should... Know what you need to know before you need to know it...