sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Kentucky shinner »

ya spooky but youve got the cats ass fermentaion system for temp controll.. We dont all have the nice set up bro... you bitch.. :ewink: :ewink:
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

Kentucky shinner wrote:ya spooky but youve got the cats ass fermentaion system for temp controll.. We dont all have the nice set up bro... you bitch.. :ewink: :ewink:
LOL
Attachments
DSCF2527.JPG
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :damn dude I told ya you had the cats asss :lol: :lol: your friggin sick man
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

Mr.Spooky wrote:so yours finishes out in 5 days at 75* to 80*????
the reason that i ask is because i can control the ambient temp on my fermentors, and i was wandering about the best ambient temp to ferment at.
thanks
spooky
Since its turned off cold Ive been heating my mash barrel with an electric heating blanket. I dont know the exact temp of the mash as I haven't bothered to check it, but my finger says around 80 sometimes lower sometimes higher as this method of heating is kinda finikky. But yea these sweet feed mashes have been finishing fast for me(after the first generation, takes a little longer). Im doing a run every weekend. Not necessaraly because of the temps. Could be the feed I'm using or the yeast strain. I dunno. But it shure is nice. :D KS has reported his take 12 days. I believe most will tell you that 75-80 degrees is optimum for "whiskey" fermentation, which may or may not be the approximate temperature of a cat's ass.
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

yep about 12 days for a 30 gallon ferment. but that is finished and cleared. I think it actually finishes in about 10 days but I always leave a couple so it will clear nicely.
Lots of vitamins and nutrients in the sweet feed. I think the yeast really like it.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yea I probably don't let mine clear like I should. When that cap falls I run it through a strainer and light the fires. Im old school like that. :wink:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:Yea I probably don't let mine clear like I should. When that cap falls I run it through a strainer and light the fires. Im old school like that. :wink:
nothing wrong with that.. I have run it dirty before and I like it that way too...
carolina moonshiner
Novice

Post by carolina moonshiner »

KS i have 6 gals that will be ready saturday to run . When i finish my run you said to do a 2nd ferment will that give it a better flavor or a higher alcohol on the next run ?
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

The flavor will change, maybe not as sweet as the first run. Your alcohol content will stay about the same depending on how much sugar you add back. If you use the same recipe it should be the same pretty much.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Very impressed with the ease of this so far. I do have one question for you KS. I'll be running this in a pot with no thumper. I was wondering if this will require a stripping then doubling (spirit) run? I started a 60L batch last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4Et7QTsxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

That is how I ran it before I got my flute rig. Yep strip then once you have enough low wines do a spirit run.. I hope you like it. Looks like you got her working well. It will be pretty dark when it finishes but dont worry bout that. Smells good too dont it. :ebiggrin:
KS
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

kurgan wrote:Very impressed with the ease of this so far. I do have one question for you KS. I'll be running this in a pot with no thumper. I was wondering if this will require a stripping then doubling (spirit) run? I started a 60L batch last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb4Et7QTsxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
nice vid! does your sweetfeed have the pellets in it?
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Mr.Spooky wrote: nice vid! does your sweetfeed have the pellets in it?
spooky
Are you asking about the texture of the feed? I'll have to check when I go back outside. I got it from Southern States (horse feed). I think it's textured. Best I can remember, all the pelleted feeds I looked at had no molasses in them. I'll double check and update the post.

EDIT: OK, it's textured. I think I may have goofed on the feed though. The batch is working like the devil and smells good, but i'm worried about the end product. Can some of you guys take a look at the feed I bought and tell me what ya'll think?

http://www.southernstates.com/products/ ... e10_t.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

One more EDIT: Just for the heck of it, I thought i'd share day 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BhpdubsEE0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

That feed looks pretty standard for sweetfeed. If theres no pellets, I don't see any any problems with it.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

the biotin is a B vitamin,,, the vitamin E is a antioxidant, so that might help with the rinkels in your skin :D but i might be concerned with the mineral stuff.... all of this might be ok but i dont know. next time try to get some cheap ass sweetfeed (if its an option). i can say that that doesent look like mine , but mine dosent bubble like that eigther. the B vitamin might have something to do with the more violent ferment.
spooky
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Mr.Spooky wrote:the biotin is a B vitamin,,, the vitamin E is a antioxidant, so that might help with the rinkels in your skin :D but i might be concerned with the mineral stuff.... all of this might be ok but i dont know. next time try to get some cheap ass sweetfeed (if its an option). i can say that that doesent look like mine , but mine dosent bubble like that eigther. the B vitamin might have something to do with the more violent ferment.
spooky
Thanks Mr.Spooky, I was worried about the minerals too. I can get a real cheap sweet feed from Southern States in the brown bag (all stock), but it didn't have oats in it. All the labels I looked at that Kentucky shinner uploaded seemed to have oats. That triple ten was the cheapest I found with oats, crack corn, and molasses on the label. I guess there's nothing to it but to try a bag of that $6 stuff if ya'll think the oats don't matter.
batf
Bootlegger

Post by batf »

just to ask to see if this is ok...., the SF quits bubbling in about 5 days, i let it go acouple of more days, then strain into a carboy, let this settle out then run. i keep the fermentation room totally dark and at 80 degrees F. and have the carboy settling in a fridge at 50ish degrees F.

in the carboy it takes about 2 weeks to clear, apx how much time would adding turbo clear take off? or is it best just to sit it out? thx
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Most of the time the sweet feed will slow way down after about 4-5 days but it is still working. If you see movement on the top of your ferment it is still working. normally will take about 6 days to completely finish. If you have a wash hydrometer the best way is to leave it unil it is below 1.000
Yes let is settle then rack it off and run it.
KS
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Here's the label for the cheap stuff, about $5-$6 a bag. I also have a feed mill closer to the house that I buy chicken feed from, I need to check his stuff too.
Attachments
label.jpg
carolina moonshiner
Novice

Post by carolina moonshiner »

Ok i have a question about S F heads and tails. I have save 3 gal of heads and tails :ebiggrin: i have a 9 gal ss pot how much water do i need . Would 50 / 50 be ok :?:
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

carolina moonshiner wrote:Ok i have a question about S F heads and tails. I have save 3 gal of heads and tails :ebiggrin: i have a 9 gal ss pot how much water do i need . Would 50 / 50 be ok :?:
If you do not have any way to test the ABV I would say more like 60% water.
kurgan
Swill Maker

Post by kurgan »

Wow, this wash has gone from a SG of 1.078 on day 0 to a SG of .997 on day 3. Looking good so far, finished product will tell the tale though.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

sound like your got her working pretty good.. way to go.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

Well KS, I've taken your SF to gen5 now and have added chicken scrach to the mash and up'ed the malasses to half a gal. My mash times have gone from 5 days on gen1 to two weeks on gen4. Gen5 is bubbling away as I type. Broke the arm on my still and awaiting my new MileHi still (Merry Xmas) to run Gen4. Gen2 and 3 are great and getting better as the malasses proportions go up.

This whole thing has been a barrel of laughs as I blow airlocks off and have pucks in the toilets and the gen1 yeasts keep happly munching away. I wonder when they will want to retire?

ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

aint it grand... I have done as many of 10 generations, as long as you remove the spent grain and add back the same amount I dont know how far it will go..
aint it grand....
KS
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

KS? Have you split a generation and as another post asks. Left it "on the lee's"? Wonder what setting on the lee's for 6 months or more would do for flavor or would that be like beating a dead horse, hoping for something better?

ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have not left any that long before, but I may be on my way to doing that. I have some that has been setting for about 1 month so far. I may have missed the post about splitting a batch. I have not tried that. I have been so busy building these flutes I have not had much time for anything but building. I have 20 gallon of wash ready to run now.
sorry if I have fallen behind on some of these post. When I have had free time from work Ive been working in the shop. Now with Christmas upon us I am sure I will have shopping to do. Although lots of my people will be getting some pretty fine sweetfeed oaked whiskey this year..
I will try to do a better job keeping up with the post on here.
KS
corncooker69
Novice

Post by corncooker69 »

Kentucky Shiner,would I have to leave this to ferment in the dark, or would it hurt to have the lights on it as this is what keeps my temperature to 80 degrees f. in my ferment box.
My fermentation room is outside and I have a 3'x3'x4' insulated box with 2, 75w bulbs inside and it keeps the temp. regulated at 80 degrees f. even when my building temp. is at 15 degrees f.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I would try to cover it with something like a tarp or old blanket or something. I dont think the incandescent light will hurt it. Sunlight will but I think it is different. I have never fermented where there was light so I really can answer this for sure. cover it with old towels, blankets or something to block the light.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Yeast are photosensitive organisms... Once exposed to light for an extended period of time they will tend to go dormant if the light source is removed...