sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

corncooker69 wrote:Anybody else using this in blends.

I have been double stillin this wash and cutting to 70% abv and then I take half of a pint of that and add my apple pie mix that I make from some Apple cider , brown sugar and cinnamon sticks.
Anybody else using this in blends.

I have been double stillin this wash and cutting to 70% abv and then I take half of a pint of that and add my apple pie mix that I make from some Apple cider , brown sugar and cinnamon sticks. :D :D
Yup , I been makin quite a bit of apple pie from this here sweetfeed whiskey. Makes fer a tasty drink after a couple weeks mellowin. That is I let the Apple Pie set for a couple weeks after I make it up before drinkin. Smooths out nicely. 8)
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

apple pie is one of my favorites... mmmmm ammmm mgooooodddd
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

Ok, im hooked. Where do I find the recipe for the Apple Pie. I have heard so much about this at my events I NEED to make some... Where do i get the recipe??????
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Mr.Spooky wrote:
LHD wrote:I just threw together a 12 gal batch yesterday.

Horsemens edge 12% sweet
4 lbs brown sugar (all i had)
10 lbs white sugar
2 packs whiskey yeast w/ag

Maybe I should have taken it easy on the sugar because of the enzymes but, I'll see what happens.
It took off pretty darn fast and strong. Smells great.
wait,,, did i miss something????? what size is your ferment?
spooky
Spooky, you been nippin' again...??? :P
Stilly
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stilly »

cannonman wrote:Ok, im hooked. Where do I find the recipe for the Apple Pie. I have heard so much about this at my events I NEED to make some... Where do i get the recipe??????
http://www.sirius-speedway.com/2007/12/ ... shine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

you could also use the HD Google Search feature at top of page and punch in appropriate search data.

cheers
stilly
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

so when wee distill the wash, do we do a fast pot still run , and the second run also fast , with cuts ?
mine is close to finish after 10 days.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

rad14701 wrote:
Mr.Spooky wrote:

Horsemens edge 12% sweet
10 lbs white sugar

Maybe I should have taken it easy on the sugar because of the enzymes but, I'll see what happens.
spooky
Spooky, you been nippin' again...??? :P
oooopss :oops: missed that :oops:
i think is just doin selective readin :lol:
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
ArkyJ
Swill Maker

Post by ArkyJ »

LOL!!! Been there, done that. Had out beloved Mentors rake me over the coals. Well I did turn red from embarrasment.
ArkyJ
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

flip wrote:so when wee distill the wash, do we do a fast pot still run , and the second run also fast , with cuts ?
When I was running my pot I did fast stripping runs then did my spirit run making strict cuts...
I have done a first run as a reflux run..both come out pretty nice. The reflux will have a little smoother taste.. That is my opinion.
KS
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

flip wrote:so when wee distill the wash, do we do a fast pot still run , and the second run also fast , with cuts ?
i ran mine a little different.. i would do a slow first run, collecting everything from 80% down to about 60% (i think that this was sugested in the UJSSM recipt as "generic cuts") . on a 12 gal run, this wouldent yield alot, but you did get enough to keep ya until the next run. i find this "generic cuts" to benifit me, because it dident allow me to get too greedy, AKA, dippin into tails.
after doing the generic cuts,, i would then run the piss out of it and put all of that into a spare keg and cap the keg. then just repete the process as many times as it takes until the second keg got about 4 or 5 gals in it.. then dilute, and another slow run.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

Mr.Spooky wrote:

Horsemens edge 12% sweet
10 lbs white sugar

spooky
it was a 12 gallon batch
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

No worries. I'm a selective reader while i'm "tastin" too! :ebiggrin:
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

If I'm not mistaken, i thought the generic cuts are from 80 to 70.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

LHD wrote:If I'm not mistaken, i thought the generic cuts are from 80 to 70.
:ebiggrin: you are right, they are... after i did that for a while, i got a little more comfy with it and eased on down a little.
iv been doing this for a few years, and im still not ready to get away from the generic range. id suspect for someone to be able to truly freestyle cuts and ABV, theyd have to have some time devoted.
spooky
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

First ferment of this and it finished in about 60 hours. Perfect day to run it since there's 2 feet of snow outside.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let us know how it comes out for you..
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

I didn't see anything during fermentation, but there seems to be a lot of oil on the surface after it was racked into the boiler. has anyone else experienced this?
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

LHD wrote:I didn't see anything during fermentation, but there seems to be a lot of oil on the surface after it was racked into the boiler. has anyone else experienced this?
Hmmm..... Oil on the wash huh? Never heard that one. I would suspect the feed. Did it have pellets? Whats in it? I used to work in a feed mill that used chicken fat as a binding agent in pelleted turkey feed. Not saying thats the case just saying......
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
LHD
Novice

Post by LHD »

just rechecked the label and it said there is soybean oil in it.

I ended up siphoning and leaving the oil behind and it does tase good but just too messy to deal with again. time for a trip back too the feed store.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bingo. Good luck man.
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

thanks for replies guys

my wash is ready for the still, now i am not so certain of how the filtering will work, i will just let the wash seep through the grains ,and again till clean.

distilling however ,fast stripping yes ,and then reflux , my reflux produces should not drip but pencil run stream .
Made-In-TX
Novice

Post by Made-In-TX »

This wash sounds delicious and I can't wait to get my still put together and give it a try!
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

today i ran the pot still fast, and was very happy with the result.

so i rerun it with the pot still kinda fast, the shine came out with much higher percentage ,so i deluded it , and tasted it, its very nice but sharp.

i will age it with barrel wood sticks, taste again later.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Leave you some clear.. I think you will really like it.
flip
Swill Maker

Post by flip »

i made a small mistake, did not realize that the second run is higher in alcohol content,so i tried to receive same amount as was firstly obtained during first run,

ja i think by doing that, i went too far into tails. never mind it still tasting better than any thing i made before, yes and i will leave it white

i mix just about all drinks with coke. i poured backwash and more sugar to restart the second wash.
K_State78
Novice

Post by K_State78 »

Hello all. I am a rookie bootlegger and barely know what I'm doing. I've done some basic fermenting and distilling with sugar, water and distiller's yeast, but that's about it. I've been reading up on this sweetfeed whiskey and would like to try it out. I understand the basic recipe concept: 4" of sweetfeed in a 5 gallon fermenter, add boiling water, add sugar, let it come to temp and add the yeast. Do I need to add any amylase extract to the wash or does the boiling water already acheive that conversion of starches to sugars? Did I miss anything in the aforementioned recipe? How do I reuse my yeast? How do I continue to reuse my wash for more batches? I'm still new to the lingo so I may not know all of the verbage used. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

it is not converting any starch.the molasses,sugar are fermenting with grain for flavor.
if you look many add more molasses/water and sugar to the old grain/yeast bed.
cannonman
Novice

Post by cannonman »

cannonman wrote:
Smokehouse Shiner wrote:No cannonman, if you've kept your yeast bed healthy and happy, that is wet and in a good temp range,you do not need to add more. The yeast thats in the bottom of your fermenter is good to go.....
Cool, thanks. I will see how it goes this coming week end if its ready to go.
Update: I did run the first batch of sweet feed and it came out preety good... OK. now I made my first SECOND generation of the sweet feed. Boy, after it cooled evough for me to pour it over the other feed, it took off like a trooper. I took out four cups of old feed and inverted the old wash and four lbs. of sugar and four cups of new feed. Let it sit till it cooled enough and poured it over the old feed. In about 30 minutes I saw BUBBLES!!! Wow. Will check it tonight to see how its doing. Today is day three on the new wash. OOOHHH, the hydrometer read 1.052 in the new wash.
Tell you more later.
EscarpmentDew
Novice

Post by EscarpmentDew »

I was tasting the wort from this recipe yesterday while I was racking it off of the corn. Pretty tasty stuff! The corn looked in good shape so I'll leave it in the fermenter in some liquid until I can try my first backset mash. I scaled the recipe up from 6 gallons to a 12 gallon fermenter, except I put 8" of cracked corn into it like a total dumbass. The volume of the cracked corn was probably about four times what I should have put in it and once i clued in I just sanitized another 12 gallon fermenter and split the corn. I took it as an opportunity to race baker's yeast against some brewer's yeast. The baker's won by a long shot. I'll be stilling the first batch tomorrow in my detuned column, and the second batch isn't ready yet.
Moved on up from distilling neutrals from simple cereal mashes to experimenting with grains and oaking.
hoochwagon4
Novice

Post by hoochwagon4 »

kentucky shiner, why use that much yeast when the other only calls for 1 packet. Im new to distilling. I have my still built but im getting the ingredients together right now. where do I purchase that yeast your using or should i just use some wal-mart yeast.