sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canaanite
Bootlegger

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Canaanite »

piperdave wrote:I have the exact same fermenter. Perfect for me to do 2 strips and a 1.5 spirit for my rum and AG whiskey (after much practice and help from these guys). Your work area looks a little more spacious and tidy than mine does.

This is my first time using the Speidel and I have to say, It's nice. I bought 2 of the 60L ones...I think they will work out great for my 15 gallon still. My work area is half of a 3000 square foot shop. I run a CNC Plasma table in the other half. Came in this morning and the airlocks on the sacrificial run and the sweetfeed are chugging away. Can't wait to get this party started.
I'm gonna invest in stocks and bonds. Lace stockings and "un"Bonded Whiskey.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Konrad Arflane wrote:
Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Has anyone came across a brand that didn't make good whiskey?
Ummm...almost any of the ones with pellets? :D
Well, actually a few people have said they used SF with pellets and still ended up with a good whiskey.

But, I was hoping that all grain sweet feed was an understood with this question.

Jesus turned water into wine, we turn wine into shine.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Canaanite wrote:My first batch of 15 gallons on the left....
url=http://s564.photobucket.com/user/2002/m ... h.jpg.html]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82 ... yoawch.jpg[/url]
Canaanite, just fyi, your photobucket allows people to see your personal world, along with your name, apparently. Better to upload images directly to the site.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Canaanite wrote:My first batch of 15 gallons on the left....
url=http://s564.photobucket.com/user/2002/m ... h.jpg.html]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss82 ... yoawch.jpg[/url]
Canaanite, just fyi, your photobucket allows people to see your personal world, along with your name, apparently. Better to upload images directly to the site.
Fixed it...thanks...
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Try this one order online for free pick up at your local walmart... takes a couple days for it to come in ...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/C.O.B.-With-M ... k/10449501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I don't have experience with other kinds to compare it to, but the Pacer sweet feed that I used (Blue Seal) came out with a really sharp note to it. My wife likes it, but my jury is still out. No pellets, it looks clean, although the molasses coating seems to be a pretty unnatural red.
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:How much variation do you guys find in different brands of SF?

Has anyone came across a brand that didn't make good whiskey?

Jesus turned water into wine, we turn wine into shine.

I had my local feed store mix me up 500 lbs of sweet feed....1/3 cracked corn 1/3 steamed crimped oats and 1/3 rolled barley and then the molasses. I store it in plastic 55 gallon drums. So I think I will be ok for a while.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

FullySilenced wrote:Try this one order online for free pick up at your local walmart... takes a couple days for it to come in ...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/C.O.B.-With-M ... k/10449501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
technically, given the molasses in this mix, wouldn't the yield be more of a rum than a whiskey?

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

BoomTown wrote:
FullySilenced wrote:Try this one order online for free pick up at your local walmart... takes a couple days for it to come in ...

technically, given the molasses in this mix, wouldn't the yield be more of a rum than a whiskey?

Boom
I never used this brand, only the Tractor Supply stuff that is hard to get now. It don't taste like rum. There's not that much molasses. It's just sugarhead whiskey. But it's easy and has a pretty good flavor.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

So this is all grain and pellet free? If so I might have to place an order.
Using Google Search

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Yep... corn, oat, barley and mole asses nuttin else

happy stillin and good luck with it

FS
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

FullySilenced wrote:Yep... corn, oat, barley and mole asses nuttin else

happy stillin and good luck with it

FS
Mmmmmmm........ fermented mole ass. Mmmmmmmm....... I had a beagle that loved to eat moles. I never fermented any of thier asses for her. :lol: 8)

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to order some up.
Using Google Search

Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

In the middle of a stripping run on the second gen sweet feed right now.... life is good.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Hound Dog wrote:

So this is all grain and pellet free? If so I might have to place an order.
You bunch of drunks. Post this stuff on this site and Walmart.com has been out of stock since :?
Using Google Search

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Well I got mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

FullySilenced wrote:Well I got mine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha! I put myself on the notify list with the other drunks. I just dumped a load of Panela in my fermenters tonight anyway. I got some modifications to make by the time I can get that fermented and another batch stripped. I'll be busy for a bit.
Using Google Search

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

IS back in stock again ... get your order in for store pickup...

happy stillin,

FS
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Thanks! Better news here than the alert service from Walmart that did not alert me. I saw they have feed molasses too so I bought some of each and got free shipping to the house.
Using Google Search

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Was going to mix ups some sweet feed for mysef and was wonding whats the ideal proportions.

I have:
Rye
Barely
Cracked corn
Winter Wheat

I need some oats to do a traditional sweet feed or would some the above be good?

Would the following be the norm?
17lbs Corn
17lbs Oats
17lbs Barley
5lbs Molasses
----------------
56 lbs total so basically a 55lb bag. I will mill the grains first. Was thinking be good in my 40gal fermentor

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

No need to mix my own when to a local farm store they had there own sweet feed mix and it was only 12.99 for a 25KG bag.

Made up a wash. Just waiting now. I had backset saved from a pure barley sugar head so gen1 should be similar to gen II I hope. Its 35-40 G Used 55 lbs of sweet feed and 55lbs of sugar. Used some us05 yeast as fermenting in the basement were its cooler.

B
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

Doing a gen 3 stripping run today and starting gen 4 mash. Gotta keep rollin'....
bshack618
Novice

Post by bshack618 »

I'm building my own sweetfeed I stopped in and talked to my seed place today and he will make it I'm doing cracked corn rolled oats and rolled barley how much molasses should I have him put in I believe I'm going to make a 50 pound bag so how much molasses should I have him put in?
midlife-u-turn
Bootlegger

Post by midlife-u-turn »

This is one I did.
I mixed the grains 1/3 each and dissolved the food grade molasses in the fermenter when I made it, not to the grain.
Target - approx. 12 gallon:

-8” on a 5 Gallon bucket combined cracked corn, rolled oats, rolled barley. (4” grain/6 gal)
-14 lbs. of sugar
-1/2 gal Grandma Molasses

Starting gravity was 1.080 and finished at 1.00
Zheol
Novice

Post by Zheol »

found swanson farms wet cob in cali only has grains mole ass(defurred) and preservatives 2nd gen is going now with first sitting as low wines and about 150ml of sipp
bshack618
Novice

Post by bshack618 »

Finally Picked up my COB With molasses, I am looking to start my mash on sunday and then still it that next week on sunday is that to much time or should I wait acouple more days before I put my mash together. I do not have a refractometer to check if it is 1.000 I only have that sunday as I work every other day. Is it gonna be bad to sit for alittle.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

should work out. baker's yeast and normal temperature 4 days to ferment, a day to settle down...rack on day six to clear, stillin' on sunday.
doesn't matter if it sits for an extra week, just leave the lid on and no peeking.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

So, I finally gave up on making sweet feed, as it was too acidic and astringent for me.

I decided to re-use the barrel to make a larger UJ ferment, so I cleaned out the barrel and stuck my head in -- and was almost overwhelmed by the vinegar smell. :shock:

It's an old cherry pepper barrel. I thought I'd gotten the smell out, but apparently not.

Right now it's in the swimming pool, soaking up chlorine and sunshine. Hopefully a week of that will do.
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Post by Canaanite »

raketemensch wrote:So, I finally gave up on making sweet feed, as it was too acidic and astringent for me.

I decided to re-use the barrel to make a larger UJ ferment, so I cleaned out the barrel and stuck my head in -- and was almost overwhelmed by the vinegar smell. :shock:

It's an old cherry pepper barrel. I thought I'd gotten the smell out, but apparently not.

Right now it's in the swimming pool, soaking up chlorine and sunshine. Hopefully a week of that will do.
You use a wooden barrel to ferment?
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

my barrel has done lots of AG and it still smells like olives, but can't taste it in the wort or distillate (thankfully)
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

sweetfeed whisky

Post by raketemensch »

Canaanite wrote: You use a wooden barrel to ferment?
It's a 65-70 gallon HDPE barrel, it was used to ship cherry peppers over from Greece. I just noticed the Greek writing on it this morning.

Thanks HDNB, that's good to know, maybe I just don't like SF. Either way, if this pool thing doesn't work, I'm going to try charcoal. I have some laying around anyway.