sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i got myself some sweetfeed oaking on 120 proof,,, and i gotta say, i might have done it!!!!!! i havent tasted yet, but just the smell is outstanding!
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kentucky shinner »

Mr.Spooky wrote:i got myself some sweetfeed oaking on 120 proof,,, and i gotta say, i might have done it!!!!!! i havent tasted yet, but just the smell is outstanding!
spooky
:ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: cool man
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

When you ferment the next generation do you start with all new sweet feed and about 25% back set, or just 25% of the back set and the same grain. Thank you
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

It tells you on 1st post of this thread.
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Yes: I read the first post, but a later post talked about removing the spent grain and I do not know what that means. Since this thread has evolved since the first post, I just wanted to make sure I have not missed or not understood anything. Thanks for your help
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Well then it would be like UJSSM then the spent grain will have a white to a gray color to it. Scrape that off the top and leave the grain with color alone. Replace the amount of grain scraped off.
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

Got it ,Thank you for your help AZ....Chris
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Azframer wrote:Well then it would be like UJSSM then the spent grain will have a white to a gray color to it. Scrape that off the top and leave the grain with color alone. Replace the amount of grain scraped off.
Exactly..
KS
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

I have not made batch one yet but I have read a ton. I can't wait to try this one out though, it sounds like something I would like for sure.
realtree71
Novice

Post by realtree71 »

Hi KS

I'm kinda a lerker on here... I made a wash of your sweedfeed. I'm not a whiskey guy, making it for my sister. I made a 5 gallon wash about a week ago and this morning racked off nearly 4 gallons of clean amber wash. I'm running 3 gallons in on my homemade pot still as I write. Just wanted to let you know the foreshots came off with a real pleasant buttery scent. Im well into the foreshots and the hooch has a nice clean taste with a pleasent sweet smell, still buttery.

As I said im not a whiskey guy but I may partake of this. Ill keep you posted.

Do you reuse the jello in the bottom of the fermenter for the next wash?
Oklahoma Sooners
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Yes you do use it. You want to scrape off white to grayish grain off the top and replace that same amount with fresh grain. What is in the bottom will be your yeast bed. So you will add the same sugar amount into your backset, which is best not to use more than 25%. Use hot Backset to dissolve your sugar let cool so you don't kill your yeast before you add to fermentor.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Azframer is exactly right.. Good thing he is here today... I am doing a cleaning run on a new still so Im a bit out of pocket here. I am watching this new still pretty close.
Hope you like the rumskey
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

OK I got the 2nd gen running today after a run yesterday. Used about 25% backset for a total of 18 gallons water,21 lbs sugar. i cleaned up the spent mash and replaced with new. Checked the sg was .60 temp was at 89 degrees. I did not add any yeast. I got the hearts from yesterday on oak. This to much fun.
batf
Bootlegger

Post by batf »

i did 2- 6 gallons sweet feed washes. i the buckets ferment for about 5 days...took them out my 80deg room and set them in my shop , temps are in the high 50s in there.

let them settle out, for 2 days and syphoned and strained the wash into a carboy. i didnt get down real close to the feed, i got about 7 1/2 gallons in the carboy re-settling now( deep dark brown color). hoping do a run, late this afternoon and re-gen 1 bucket of feed.

i have a duel still head, i can run it in pot or reflux, i was thinking to pot run it first then reflux? or 2 pot runs...or crap...just do 1 run in reflux...???? :egeek: i read alot but it isnt sinking in quick...thx
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

are you sure it finished fermenting? 5 days is pretty quick, if is finished it worked well for ya.
How you run it depends on what you want. If you run it in pot still you will retain all of the flavor, If you reflux you will loose some of the flavor. This is something you just have to find out what you like best.
If you pot still it run just a small stream and you will carry full flavor.
Your choice man, Good luck and maybe you will like this better,
KS
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Being that I am a flavor kinda guy I would run it through a pot still. You can get a higher abv than you would want to drink straight anyhow. So I would just do a single run and cut it to drinking strength.
realtree71
Novice

Post by realtree71 »

Ok I finished my run of this.

for 3 gallons wash I used pint mason jars to collect. Med flame it took an hour and a half to get to drips. Each jar I filled about 2/3 or a little over a cup. I shut it off after 5 jars.

jar #1 158 proof final 80abs
Jar #2 148 proof final 72abs
Jar #3 128 proof final 65abs
Jar #4 100 proof final 50 abs
Jar #5 78 proof final 45 abs
all toll about 1.5qts product for 3 gallons of wash... that sound ok to you guys? I threw out about a whole 1/2 pint of the foreshots, I think I may have been well into the heads by doing that.

Would you guys keep the first 3 jarrs as hearts or the first 2?
Oklahoma Sooners
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

Hell depends on the nose and taste. You could take jar 1 and 5 and combine, then take 2 and 4 and combine and set them back for aging. Take jar 3 for sippin now and again after you cut it to drinkin strength.

Edit= As above take a half tsp of 1 and 5 combine then add tsp of water to check before you go further Then do same with other 2 jars.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

its all personal choice. some folks only keep the hearts and rerun everything else.. Age will help all of it though.. You just have to do what suits you.
KS
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

i usually make very genreic whiskey cuts.. i keep from 80% down to 70% this is taken from UJSSM recipit,,,. i find that it does me good and sence iv been doing that, i havent been dissapointed with running into tails. BUT, i do 15 gal runs.. if you set back a few runs, and do one good spirit run (be sure to dilute), you will stay in the "generic" range longer as your run will have more ABV to start with.
this might take you a little longer to get a drink or two, but youl have more jars in the "generic" range to make cuts with.
as you get better skilled with the cuts, you might even go deeper in the ABS range.
just a thought
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
batf
Bootlegger

Post by batf »

ran 6 gallons of sweet feed wash in pot mode. i placed 2 copper scrubbers in the tower as suggested. i culled out 250 ml of fores. and ended up with apx a gallon, i used pint jars to collect, i found the temp ran alot higher in the tower in pot mode. avg temp was in the mid 180s( from 135 proof to 125 proof) and i was just going over a continuous drip. i quite collecting when it reached 200 degs, and the last pints proof was 120.

i made a quick video of the run, will see if i can get it up...thx guys....time for my medicine... :ebiggrin:
batf
Bootlegger

Post by batf »

i tried out my sweet feed. i used a shot from the 120 proof pint, mixed with water and ice and sipped. i found it too sweet tasting for me. i will keep my sweet feed aging and try it again in a few months. gunna reflux the re-batch thats brewing now and see if i can tell the difference. thx guys
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

BATF that sweet flavor will diminish on the second generation and each gen. after that it will get less sweet and more complex. I vote give it one more run in pot mode and see what you think. But then it's your likker. Just my 2 cents. Im on the fourth generation of this stuff and I'm actually gonna try to get a little more sweet back in it. I'm gonna replace at least half the grain after I run this batch. The new bag of feed i've got has considerably more mollasses. Mmm Rumskey.... BTW I cringe everytime I see your screenname. If it really is just a screenname.......... :econfused: :lol: :lol:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:BATF that sweet flavor will diminish on the second generation and each gen. after that it will get less sweet and more complex. I vote give it one more run in pot mode and see what you think. But then it's your likker. Just my 2 cents. Im on the fourth generation of this stuff and I'm actually gonna try to get a little more sweet back in it. I'm gonna replace at least half the grain after I run this batch. The new bag of feed i've got has considerably more mollasses. Mmm Rumskey.... BTW I cringe everytime I see your screenname. If it really is just a screenname.......... :econfused: :lol: :lol:
+1 it gets better every generation. And yes the screen name does kind of freak me out too..
KS
chrisl
Novice

Post by chrisl »

OK: I did my 2nd generation last saturday 11-20-10. 18 gallons of water with 25% backset 21 lbs sugar. It had a SG of 1.060 I keep the mash at 85-90 degrees with a fish tank heater. This was done in a 20 gallon food grade container I just had the lid on it during fermintation and covered with a blanket to insulate. I checked the sg today and it is .98 and has cleared nicely. This seems to be pretty fast 7 days? Is fermenting in a not air tight vessal speed up fermintation or just not getting as good as a air lock. thank you Chris
Azframer
Swill Maker

Post by Azframer »

I think it is more the heat you kept it at that helped it so much. If it had been cooler you would still be waiting. The yeast was happy warm.
Smokehouse Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Smokehouse Shiner »

My sweetfeed has been finishing in 5 days flat after the first generation. Careful going too warm as it can cause some higher alcohols and off flavors to develop. 75-80 is about right, but no need too worry your mash is just fine. And your not quite closed fermenter is also fine. Thas how I do it. Airlocks are a modern invention. Whiskey ain't. :wink:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which God intended a more divine means of consumption...
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

Smokehouse Shiner wrote:My sweetfeed has been finishing in 5 days flat after the first generation. Careful going too warm as it can cause some higher alcohols and off flavors to develop. 75-80 is about right, but no need too worry your mash is just fine. And your not quite closed fermenter is also fine. Thas how I do it. Airlocks are a modern invention. Whiskey ain't. :wink:
so yours finishes out in 5 days at 75* to 80*????
the reason that i ask is because i can control the ambient temp on my fermentors, and i was wandering about the best ambient temp to ferment at.
thanks
spooky
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor

I do my 30 gallon ferments the exact same way, fish tank heater, cover the barrel with towels and wrap blankets around my barrel. Works pretty darn good. You need to keep the heater above the grain though. It will burn the grain to the darn heater.
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mr.Spooky »

Kentucky shinner wrote:I do my 30 gallon ferments the exact same way, fish tank heater, cover the barrel with towels and wrap blankets around my barrel. Works pretty darn good. You need to keep the heater above the grain though. It will burn the grain to the darn heater.
yea,, i aint got that problem though,,, as im controling the ambient temp,,, not the (cant find the word) temp.
i can set my fermenter temps to any tempurature around the world!!!! im just looking for the right one.
spooky