sweetfeed whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Forum Mods

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:04 pm

I always remove the grey looking grain on top of your grain bed. Then replace with the same about you removed.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby carolina moonshiner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:32 pm

KS i have some distillers yeast now . How much distillers yeast do you use on your 5 gallons mix ?
carolina moonshiner
Novice
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: carolina

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

I would use one packet, that will be plenty for 5 gallon. remember you can use it again and again, by just adding some new grain , sugar and water. When your temp reaches about 80f in just a few hours the yeast will start working again.
Hope this helps.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby corncooker69 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:26 am

KS first off I hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas along with everybody else on here,secondly, I ran this thru my pot still after 2 cleaning runs of sugar wash to get all the nasties out from building her.
I kept the first 200 ml. for charcoal lighter and caught everything else in 200 ml. jars.
The 4th and 5th 200 ml jar was exceptional.
the rest I kept to rerun with the next batch, so ended up with 800 ml of really good smooth 45% abv after 2nd batch to age and reran everything else heads and tails in my 3rd run and came out with 4 quarts of 55% abv after blending and getting the flavor I wanted from the collection I still have some feints left to run again,but I have to say that the single run white is better in my opinion than the stronger 2nd spirit run.
Both have a really good taste but I just prefer the single run hearts.
I love this recipe,just wondering who else is running this thru a pot still and enjoys the single run of hearts. :D
I think I'm gonna set back and sip on a little today and watch it snow so far we have got about 4 to 5 inches since last night,first white Christmas for me here at home.at least weatherwise :wink:
Last edited by corncooker69 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
corncooker69
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Piedmont N.C.

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:31 am

I am glad to hear that you like it. After it ages a while it is even better.. I have some that is almost a year old now. I cant wait to try it.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby carolina moonshiner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:43 am

KS i have a 1 pound bag of the distillers yeast :esmile: you said 1 pack for 5 gallons . So would 1 tsp be to much ? Not sure how much is in a pack.
carolina moonshiner
Novice
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: carolina

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:44 am

oh hell ya.. I did not know you had a 5 pound bag shit I would use 2 tablespoons. It should crank up in 4 hours or less... Wow 5 pounds.. that will last a long time.. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby cannonman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman
cannonman
Novice
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby ArkyJ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Corncooker!

I do sweetfeed and just single runs. Might try a little blending as you go along. Me, I keep it all, let it air out for about a week and usually blend just a little of the end tails with the hearts. Usually comes out at 57%. I don't drink it and I usually don't drink, but it makes for great sipping. Just a little nip every now and then.
The heads and rest of the tails go back into the next wash just before I fire up the pot still.
Might think of adding some blackstrap or fancy molasses or for that matter dark brown sugar to your next ferment. That and some tatter juice make a very smooth drink.
ArkyJ
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.
ArkyJ
Swill Maker
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:43 pm

cannonman wrote:Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman

just get the 3 grain. you dont want the alfalfa. Tell them its for feeding the deer.
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Kentucky shinner wrote:
cannonman wrote:Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman

just get the 3 grain. you dont want the alfalfa. Tell them its for feeding the deer.
In Ca it's illegal to feed wild animals stock food, they even ask if your feeding chicken scratch to chicken cause by law they can't sell it to you if it's for wild birds. I get the 4 way all grain sweetfeed for horses, they don't know if or if not you have horses. By the way I'm on my 5th generation of sweetfeed. I do 50% 4way and 50% corn makes a great burbon.
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
User avatar
rockchucker22
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: West coast USA

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby cannonman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

rockchucker22 wrote:
Kentucky shinner wrote:
cannonman wrote:Kentucky Shinner and Tater
On your SWEET FEED recipe can you use four grain sweet feed containing alfalfa, oats, wheat and barley pluss the molasses or a three grain containing corn, oats, barley and molasses. What should I ask for at the feed store they always ask what its for. LOL :oops: I dont think I can tell them its for my Cooking. :D The feed store near me does not carry the Manna pro high grain sweet feed. Sure like to try this in a run i have some friends that like a fine whiskey. :lol:
Cannonman

just get the 3 grain. you dont want the alfalfa. Tell them its for feeding the deer.
In Ca it's illegal to feed wild animals stock food, they even ask if your feeding chicken scratch to chicken cause by law they can't sell it to you if it's for wild birds. I get the 4 way all grain sweetfeed for horses, they don't know if or if not you have horses. By the way I'm on my 5th generation of sweetfeed. I do 50% 4way and 50% corn makes a great burbon.

What kind of still do you run it through to get the Burbon. It sounds yummy. I need to build something.. LOL send me a picture or two of your unit.
Last edited by cannonman on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cannonman
Novice
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:58 pm

The "Hillbilly Flute" of course :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby cannonman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Kentucky shinner wrote:The "Hillbilly Flute" of course :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.
I need to build something.. :D
cannonman
Novice
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:12 pm

cannonman wrote:Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.

If you read this thread from the begining, you will find all the information and links you need. :D



OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
User avatar
olddog
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: WEST OZ

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby cannonman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:15 pm

olddog wrote:
cannonman wrote:Where can I find out how to make one with all the pipe cut sizes and all the fittings.

If you read this thread from the begining, you will find all the information and links you need. :D



OD

This sweet feed thread?? gott make sure im reading right.
cannonman
Novice
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby olddog » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:20 pm

cannonman wrote:This sweet feed thread?? gott make sure im reading right.

Sorry my mistake, Read the Flute talk thread from the beginning. :oops:


OD
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
User avatar
olddog
Master Distiller
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: WEST OZ

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby cannonman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:22 pm

olddog wrote:
cannonman wrote:This sweet feed thread?? gott make sure im reading right.

Sorry my mistake, Read the Flute talk thread from the beginning. :oops:


OD


Thanks OD. Will do.
Cannonman
cannonman
Novice
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:23 pm

cannonman wrote:What kind of still do you run it through to get the Burbon. It sounds yummy. I need to build something.. LOL send me a picture or two of your unit.
I run it threw my 4" plated still, as stated carries full flavor and a good ABV 90+
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
User avatar
rockchucker22
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: West coast USA

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Image
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
User avatar
rockchucker22
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: West coast USA

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby rockchucker22 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Bad pic but you get the idea
if your gonna ride, ride the wild horse
User avatar
rockchucker22
Forum Mod
 
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: West coast USA

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby corncooker69 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 pm

I am starting 2 more 5 gallon washes of this tonight.
3 inches of 10% sweetfeed in a 6 gallon bucket.
12 cups of sugar inverted in 2 gallons of water with 2 tbsp. lemon juice.
1 more gallon of boiling water to dissolve sweetfeed further and possibly convert more starches.
stir for 15 minutes and let sit for 90 minutes.
fill to 5 gallon mark and let cool to 90 degrees.
add 2 multivitamins for nutrients .
add 8 tbsp. yeast .
add 2 tbsp. brewers yeast for more nutrients.
stir gently and cap with lid and airlock.
I love this recipe and just wanted to try something a little different with it to see what the changes make in it.
At the moment i don't have a hydrometer to test sg but do have one to test proof and tralles after stillin.
Any thoughts on this let me know and I will see how she goes and keep y'all posted.
corncooker69
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Piedmont N.C.

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:12 pm

There is really no need for the extra vitamins, and nutrients. The sweet feed already has most of the nutrients needed. It wont hurt anything, it may even finish sooner. Let us know how it works for ya.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby corncooker69 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks KS, your opinion and knowledge is very much appreciated,I know this makes a very smooth recipe and is real easy to follow. Thank you for the advice and we'll see how she goes,she just started working good about 5 minutes ago.Looks like I'm going to have to add on to my ferment room if I keep rotating these washes out like I am.
This is about my favorite recipe so far,I am going to try the UJSSM next after 4 or 5 generations of the sweetfeed mix.This hobby really is so much fun to try new variations and keep plenty of notes and then use what you like the most.I can't wait to oak some of this and age it for a while.
corncooker69
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Piedmont N.C.

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Kentucky shinner » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:38 pm

it really smooths out after some time goes by. One thing I have found it is easy to over oak any of this stuff. watch it close when you put it on oak.
KS
Kentucky shinner
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Location: Paradise? Western KY

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby corncooker69 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Just tried a couple glasses of this on the rocks after only 4 days of oakin and I have to say it has a different taste allready than when white.
I have been distress aging 48 hours in the freezer then 48 hours in the dark at 75 degrees with a medium to light heavy burn of some 2 year old air dried white oak.just enough burn to pull out some of the vanilla notes but not heavy enough to be really astringent
I am going to try a light to medium burn on some of the next run and see how it tastes.
Attachments
snow 005.jpg
snow 004.jpg
corncooker69
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Piedmont N.C.

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Mr.Spooky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:27 pm

what size sticks are ya usin corncooker? i usually use the same ones over ( about 3/4"x3/4"x3ish) and over. i might hit them with a torch on the 3rd time. it takes alot more than 3 or 4 days to get that dark... also like KY said ,, "There is really no need for the extra vitamins, and nutrients. The sweet feed already has most of the nutrients needed. "
im a little lazy,, ,so on a sweetfeed batch,, ill just mix 7 lbs sugar,,, 7 lbs sweetfeed and a fistfull (2 tbl spoons) of yeast and let nature do the rest. as of now,,, iv never had any problems. BTW the fost full of yeast is only on the first time. after that,,, just add feed and sugar.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
User avatar
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby corncooker69 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:41 pm

these are 1inch by 1 inch by 4 inch strips that I have burnt with a mapp gas torch on one side.
And this is only after 4 days of distress ageing .
I use 3 gallons of boiling water to try and get more of the starches converted from the feed.
I only added the brewers yeast for nutrients because I keep the heat on the sweetfeed for a good while, close to 2 hours before it has cooled down to 90 degrees after filling to the 5 gallon mark
And I only add the bakers yeast on the primary ferment,I have been using bakers yeast but I am mixing up 10 gallons tonight with distillers yeast in 2 more 5 gallon batches to see how they turn out.
Last edited by corncooker69 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corncooker69
Novice
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Piedmont N.C.

Re: sweetfeed whisky

Postby Mr.Spooky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 pm

that aint much more than what ive done... try using it a few times without the torch and see if you like the difference.
i recon each piece of wood is different,,, no matter how many times you bern it.
spooky
4" plate column >>>[/color] the flame that burns twice as bright only burns half as long
User avatar
Mr.Spooky
Site Donor
Site Donor
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tried and True Recipes



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: simplesyrup and 2 guests