NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Postby matt_b » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:18 pm

I can't malt it now. I fed it to my cows. I can't understand what they're grumbling about, but I suspect they were saying "this **** isn't event malted!" But luckily I don't speak Angus. The price for "just barley" was $7/50lb, where malted was $55/50lb. That's a big gap, but probably worth the price since I suspect malting really can be a PITA. And I worry it would strain my wife's patience with my new hobby a bit too far.

I do need to figure out how to grind my malted grains though (barley or wheat). I was reading up on hand grinders. But before I pull the trigger on anything I'm gonna check with the local feed mill and see if they can grind it for me, which I think they'll do since they suspect what it's for.
matt_b
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Postby Bamaberry » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:17 pm

matt_b wrote: I do need to figure out how to grind my malted grains though (barley or wheat).

For what it's worth it's pretty simple once you stop screwing up. Use COLD water and check that thread.
As for grinding, I hesitate to share my noob move.
I have a little Nutra Bullet that I use in the kitchen. Containers are plastic but tough enough to grind coffee and spices.
Since I was only doing a few pounds of wheat and barley, I just used that and pulverized the hell out of it, like flour or corn meal.
Probably took 10 minutes.
:mrgreen:
Nutri Bullet.jpg
Bamaberry
Swill Maker

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes