NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NcHooch
retired

Re: NChooch's Carolina Bourbon

Post by NcHooch »

this thread is in tried n true , please stay on topic
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
screwgie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by screwgie »

Hey, if I'm pitching bakers yeast would I do a tablespoon like the UJSSM or the 225 grams like Birdwatchers? I would also imagine some DAP would help? This would be for a 5-6 gallon batch.
Just because your cat had kittens in the oven doesn't mean they're biscuits.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

The grain has plenty of nutrients , there's really no need to be adding DAP.

really? , 225 grams? .....nearly a half a pound of yeast? ....anyway, a tablespoon will do it, but there's nothing wrong with starting a ferment with a good healthy yeast colony either. Why not use a portion of the yeast from the previous batch if you can keep it fresh.
NChooch
screwgie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by screwgie »

Thanks. I will re-pitch from previous once I get it up and running.
Just because your cat had kittens in the oven doesn't mean they're biscuits.
highlander4425
Novice

Post by highlander4425 »

I just finished mashing my second batch of 2014 Carolina Bourbon, per NCHooch's recipe. The first run was excellent - it's aging on charred oak at 120 proof. I was able to add a gallon of backset from my first run to this second batch, so can't wait to see how this one finishes. I will used Prestige Whiskey yeast as I did the last one, so it should ferment well. I had very good luck with this whiskey last year - it's all gone (my wife loved it!) as we really liked it and were proud of our efforts. The plan this year is to do more of it so it can age longer :) . Thanks for the recipe, NC!!!!
Skeena
Novice

Post by Skeena »

Help...I am only getting SG 1.04 at best with this recipe...what am I doing wrong???
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Skeena wrote:Help...I am only getting SG 1.04 at best with this recipe...what am I doing wrong???
Hard to tell, really don't know what you are doing at all...
What was your grainbill and process? Temps and water to grain ratio??
1.04 is a little low but not unheard of.
Last edited by Fastill on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Need a little more info then that. To help you. Tell us everything you did. And how much you used.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Steam Drip
Novice

Post by Steam Drip »

I got 1.04 too on Monday. I would of liked a bit more but I'll take what I get. I used 7 pounds cracked corn, boiled to a gel for 90 minutes. Added 3 pounds of six row malt. ( and a few beano capsules ). Let sit and cool in the igloo for 24 hrs. Added water to 5.5 gallons and pitched with a lager yeast. Bubbling away nicely.
Who Me?
Skeena
Novice

Post by Skeena »

Used 8 pounds of cracked corn...simmered in 6 gallons of water for 90 minutes...cooled to 155 and added 3 pounds of 6 row barley. Put in cooler for 3 hours stirring about every 15 minutes. Temperature maintained around 150 - 145...checked SG at 1.04...at this rate it will take me forever to get enough to fill my 2.6 gallon barrel...
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Maximum efficiency would be 1.072. You hit 55.7% efficiency. Not great but not bad either. I used flaked corn in the calculation so cracked corn would be less anyway.
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Steam Drip
Novice

Post by Steam Drip »

Other than flaked corn what would help get a higher OG?
Who Me?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

10 lbs in 5.5 gallons is a little light on the grain. For corn based stuff its ok to go up to 3 lbs per gallon. Corn is just not the highest converting. 12 lbs of corn and 3 of malt would be a fine bill and get you closer to 1.060. For more interest try 2 malt 2 rye or wheat and 11 corn in 6 gallons will give you 5 to run at 1.060 range all said. Right around 8%
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Skeena
Novice

Post by Skeena »

Will up the corn volume.. Admin edit.removed off topic part of post .please keep on topic .
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Yep, more grain, less water, or post mash boil, (and that would waste alot of time and effort).
I am very happy when I get a 5% potential in a bourban recipe. And they never finish at or below 1.00 SG. I guess I am just happy with what I get. I use 2 lbs grain per gallon of water.
MrMuffin
Novice

Post by MrMuffin »

TonsOfFun wrote:
MrMuffin wrote:Just finished the stripping run of this recipe in my pot still. Taking small samples here and there throughout the process, it tastes wonderful, especially toward the end. I did notice a problem, though, and was hoping you all could help. I'm seeing small flakes or chunks of brown debris in my distillate, along with what looks like an oily film. No odd smells or tastes, but I'm worried about the crap floating in it and the oily film. The floating stuff sort of looks like coffee grounds, but much smaller particles. I'm guessing these are bits of barley husk, even though I used a nylon bag to try to strain out the grain when I transferred the mash from the fermenting bucket to the boiler. Any ideas how to get rid of it? Do I need to filter all my distillate through coffee filters before the spirit run? Or will this all go away on its own after a second run through the process? Thanks for your help.
MrMuff I have/had those little particles as well. I think they are just little particles that slip through the filter and end up in the still, eventually gettin burnt, and ending up in the low wines. The oily film is the a sign you are getting into the tails. When I did my spirit run I didn't have any particles. I guess if you really wanted you could filter your low wines, but in my experience after aging the spirit you end up having to filter out little particles of charged oak.
Thanks, Tons. They disappeared in the spirit run, as you said. I ran it really slow to make sure I wouldn't burn anything that might be left. Just to be clear, though, in the strip run the oily film was present throughout, not just as I got into the tails.

Just as an update, I am extremely happy with how this is turning out. I don't have access to charred oak, so I bought some toasted oak chips at the brewing supply store, and put my hearts in jars at 70 percent with varying amounts of oak chips, just to test out how they'd each come out. First, it's strong as hell, so I can't wait to taste this once I proof it down to a drinkable strength. But in the tiny sips I've tried, wow, it's damned delicious. So much better than any sugar wash or cereal-based recipe I've run in the past. Just, wow. It's been aging for three months now.

Two questions: One: Do I need to use the same water to proof it down as I used for the mash, or should I use distilled water? Recommended strength for this recipe?

Two: I thought I had read somewhere that when you're aging on chips or sticks, one week equals one month if it was in a barrel? That is to say that if you've had your spirits aging with chips or sticks for 6 months, that's the equivalent of aging your spirits for two years in a barrel (6 months=24 weeks=24 months=2 years)? Is that right? How long do you all recommend keeping this recipe on chips/sticks? I know the longer the better, but if you're sort of impatient, like me, and want to drink and share it, but not waste the time I've already put into it.

Thanks everyone, especially NCHooch! I'm in NC, too, btw!
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Hey NChooch,
I performed my first all grain mash with your recipe yesterday just with the corn amount upped some as per jimbo's recommendation. 12 gallon total volume ferment. Definitely a workout but very rewarding to not have to dump sugar in. Especially in the fact i used corn my father and i grew on our farm. thanks for the instruction.

MrMuffin, use distilled water to dilute to drinking strength, i learned the hard way last summer on a all bran run. The water at my family farm is good water but has calcium. It sure made the liquor cloudy when i used it to dilute. but it does settle to bottom over time.
Don't let your meat loaf.
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Hey y'all,
if you read back in the thread, you'll learn it's not a big beer . If you follow the instructions, you should end up with approx a 5% beer. That doesn't sound like a lot, but the idea here is a quality, authentic bourbon, and understand it's gonna take time if you can't work with more than 5 gallons. The end justifies the means . ;)
NChooch
2goose
Novice

Post by 2goose »

NC, how critical is the 155 temp when adding the malted barley . Mine is at 120 in the insulated cooler. Think it will be OK or do I add some heat ?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

add some heat. Ideal mash temp is 145 to activate beta amylase enzymes and make maltose.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Tncloset
Novice

Post by Tncloset »

Hey guys,
First a quick preface and a word of thanks for all those that have posted their results and of course to Jimbo for posting this to begin with ..

So my experience .

I heated my water up to 165 and added my Flaked Corn. As this was my first batch I realize now this temp should have been higher (Maybe 200-212)? I also committed my second foul I added 1# malted rye and .5 lb 6 row barley at this point. So I kept the water temp up at around 165 for 90 minutes Stirring every 2 minutes ( My wife loved me for this duration I might add as I set the oven timer two beep every 2 minutes ) After the 90 minutes I continued to stir and moved it off the heat to hit 150 degrees then transferred it to an insulated Gatorade cooler that had 3 lbs of 6 row malted barley and 1 # of malted rye Temp dropped to 145-146.( All of the malts were milled at the store) sealed the cooler and toweled it up, stirring every fifteen minutes for three hours. After this time a parted the grains and took an SG reading of EXACTLY 1.08 ? ( seems early right ? ). Now I then wrapped the cooler in syran wrap and then a layer of towels syran wrap and then towels and left it to continue mashing overnight.
7 hours later I wake up and peel back my layers take my temp reading... Umm still 110 ? Ouch to hot to pitch so I transferred it to my 10 gallon primary. Stiring every fifteen minutes for an hour and a half until I had to head to work. Left it in the capable hands of my wife who stirred until temp reached 73 degrees at which time she poured the White Labs WLP099 liquid yest into it and stirred it up. Granted I asked her if she stirred it gently , normal or hard... I believe she just stirred it mildly. So brought it in attached an airlock house to a mason jar of water and left it go.... 5 hours... 10 hours..... 12 hours.... 24 hours..... NO VISIBLE SIGNS OF LIFE ? :( I brought up a heater into the closet and the room sits between 75 and 83 degrees
Now I can see that this primary has a lid but doesn't seem to "Seal" it off from the outside . It is specifically designed to be a primary fermentor rephrase" it is marketed at the brewstore as one" .

So its been three days and while I cant see any bubbles or anything .. when you walk in the house you can undoubtedly smell grains I think... Either that or it could be the bread yeast in the sugarwashes. But it is in a Closet on the other end of the house.

Is it doomed ? , Potentially just slowwww , is there something I can do ? I read to leave it alone but I just want to give it CPR or stand clear and shock it with shiny metallic paddles. It cant die on me ... Its too young for that ;)

Anyway thanks to all who made it this far in my very long winded cry for help...

J

Day 4 Checked the SG = 1.02 something has to be going on - tasted a little sour though.. Still no visible signs that anything is actually happening
Saint1960
Novice

Diminishing Returns

Post by Saint1960 »

I love this recipe! I've run it about a dozen times with great results. After stripping and spirit runs, managed to produce some good white dog, and some apple pie and peppermint shine that friends and family polished off during the holidays asking for more.

The last few runs I've tried experimenting with variations, and I think I've made a misstep somewhere. First, I switched from the EC-1118 to Red Star DADY trying for maybe a less winey wash. Next, I dropped down to 6lbs of cracked corn and added 1lb of flaked rye. Last, I replaced a gallon of water with a gallon of backset for the ferment (these are all 5-6 gallon washes)

The gravities for the last three looked like this (SG/FG): 1.040/1.002, 1.060/1.010, and 1.040/1.010. The last one was disappointing. I had a full 5 gallon charge with only a 3.87% potential. Nothing smelled that great. Initial stuff came off at 45%, and by the time it got down to 30-25% it was pretty true to the calcs, about a 760ml yield. It barely got going and I was already getting cloudy, tail-like stuff (around 400 ml in).

Any thoughts? I know this is a scientists nightmare. Too many changed variables. The flaked rye really sucks up a lot more liquid and I really have to squeeze that paint strainer bag to get all the liquid out. Aside from the above variations, I stay true to the procedures of the recipe.

Thanks folks!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

wildernessmedic wrote:Hello? Is there anything wrong with doing 3-4 mashes then adding them together and starting the ferment? I want about 50 gallons of mash but a Sankey key is the biggest BOP available to me.
Nothing wrong at all... Several small ones would also be acceptable and perhaps easier to manage...
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

It could if variables are different. Temp, gravity, length of ferment, etc
J_48_Johnson
Novice

Post by J_48_Johnson »

I've been wanting to try this recipe but I think I had more reading to do. I still have a few questions that I hope to get answered here, but here goes...

Here's my plan of attack. PLEASE feel free to add positive or negative comments as you see fit.

7 pounds flaked corn
3.5 pounds 6-row malted barley

Bring 4 gallons of water to 150 deg., add corn and .5 lb. malted barley and one teaspoon of amylase. Continue to heat to 160 making sure to stir well and not scorch or burn.

Let cool to 150 deg. and pour into cooler, catching grain in a grain bag. Add remaining barley. Stirring every 15 minutes, keeping covered in between stirs. Let mash work for two hours to overnight, and continue to cool to 80 deg.

Transfer to bucket, squeezing all of the grains to rid them of liquid. Rinse grain with warm water and bring total liquid in bucket to 6-7 gallons.

Aerate well and pitch yeast.

Transfer to fermenter and ferment till dry.

Rack to clear.

Does that sound like a solid plan for my first AG? Here come the questions.
1) Is it advisable to use distilled water for this recipe since I won't be boiling the water?

2) What Ph. range should the mash be before pitching yeast; 5.4-5.6?

3) When do I test with iodine to check for complete conversion?

4) I've read that some people use Fermcap to reduce foaming. Is this needed for this recipe?
Ohyea
Novice

Post by Ohyea »

J _48, this was a few months ago and I was wondering if you had a good batch with the above flaked corn as I want to run this but have 50# of flaked maize that I want to try rather than cracked.
Thanks!
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

Just stopped in to say hey. Glad to see y'all enjoying this.
Carry on
NChooch
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Hooch! good to see ya, hope things are well.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

NcHooch wrote:Just stopped in to say hey. Glad to see y'all enjoying this.
Carry on
Heck ya NC between you n Jimbo you've made the ever elusive AG a simple easy to follow plan, thanks for helping us make better hooch.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
SEMO
Novice

Post by SEMO »

Looking to do this recipe but in a 15.5 gal boiler. What would the proper proportions be to make enough wash for the boiler?
Realize I may have to do couple breakdown cooking runs.

I've done sugar washes in 5gal boiler but the results don't last long (have to stop sharing so much of it) -- want to produce more and in AG :)