Fruit / Berry Recipes

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fruit / Berry Recipes

Post by DetroitDIY »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:17 am I've only used limes once and it wasn't a success.
Ditto. I have a fabulous limoncello recipe (to my and my families tastes anyways). I love limes, so figured what could be better. Made two batches side by side: limoncello and lime-cello, just substituting lime rind for lemon rind. The for former was outstanding, the latter was lousy. No plans to do that again.

I'd be interested to know your recipe Baker...

Cheers,
DetroitDIY
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:19 pmI think I should have mashed them a bit more but I was doing it the same time as I bottled my gin run.
I watched a popular TV chef making Limoncello and tried her method, even though it was very different from what I had done in the past and nothing like any method I had found before. She used the juice and the peel. It was awful. Acidic beyond the point of nasty.

I'd like to hear how your mashed version went.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Coogeeboy,

I found the 75% spirit fine for macerating the peels, left them for a month but DID NOT MASH AT ALL.
I suspect 92% will have too much bite.
I would suggest the 75% but a lower percentage to be added to it after removing the lemon zest.
Anyway try a sample first.

Geoff!
The Baker
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

The Baker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am Coogeeboy,

I found the 75% spirit fine for macerating the peels, left them for a month but DID NOT MASH AT ALL.
I would suggest the 75% but a lower percentage to be added to it after removing the lemon zest; when you add the sugar syrup.
Anyway try a sample first at that time, don't do the whole lot like I did.

Geoff!
The Baker
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 pm
CoogeeBoy wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:19 pmI think I should have mashed them a bit more but I was doing it the same time as I bottled my gin run.
I watched a popular TV chef making Limoncello and tried her method, even though it was very different from what I had done in the past and nothing like any method I had found before. She used the juice and the peel. It was awful. Acidic beyond the point of nasty.

I'd like to hear how your mashed version went.
Thank you NZChris, I will keep you informed. Am now running parallel runs using only the zests and I think I will go with The Baker's suggestion and run a lower ABV also.

I know there are a lot of recipes around but one thing I really admire about this forum is that people experiment a lot.

For me, my thinking was: what would someone in rural Italy do? Italy being what I see as the home of Limoncello. Might sound naive or appear to be not learning from other people's mistakes but I do like going back to basics.

Finally I agree that I think I am going to ruin this first lot as I have left whole pieces of fruit in it, if I can't save it I will mix it in at the end of my next ferment!

Keep safe and well everyone!
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

The Baker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:05 am
The Baker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am Coogeeboy,

I would suggest the 75% but a lower percentage to be added to it after removing the lemon zest; when you add the sugar syrup.
Anyway try a sample first at that time, don't do the whole lot like I did.

Geoff!
Thank you Geoff, am taking your comments on board (see previous post)
Will be in touch next week with results i hope!
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Okay I finished my peach run and wound up with about 6 pints of spirit at 114 proof. I plan on cutting this down to about 80 proof for drinking. I collected down into the tails to about 80 proof and I noticed that there was a wonderful Peach aroma but it's cloudy. If the Tails taste okay would it be advisable to add some back to the main spirit just to get the aroma? Also my plan is to back Sweeten with some spiced peaches and syrup. Not too sweet but just a hint. Would you sweeten before proofing it down or would you proof it and then sweeten it?
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

My peach trees are complete zeros this year..
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

after proofing .do it before throw proofer off
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Test 3.jpg
The Baker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:03 am
NZChris wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 pm
Right, First off, after some input from the forum, I modified the experiment a little
Here are the results.
3 different methods
all used 85% ABV to start
Sample 1 on Lemon Zest / Peel only
Sample 2 on whole limes
Sample 3 on cut up lemons, used the whole fruit but cut into small chunks

I left them to sit for 7 days

I used a 1 sugar: 2 water ratio to dilute samples 1&2

Sample 1: Lemon Zest
after 7 days, ABV had dropped to around 76% - 78% ABV
I used 1:2 sugar syrup
I diluted 500ml of Lemon infused 76% ABV with about 670ml sugar syrup
By my calculations, came in at about 32% ABV Lemoncello (I know it should be Limoncello but I did the same with Limes, see below)
Beautiful, deep lemon, creamy texture IMO (See attached)

Sample 2: Whole Limes
Same recipe, similar result but a little more tart, which I liked, so I added another 30ml of sugar syrup, dropped the ABV down a percent or two but a great taste.

Can now make lime marmalade with whole limes I have left, which is why I decided not to use the peels

Sample 3: Cut up lemons
Now, as per my other posts, this one was a challenge:
ABV dropped right down to around 45% from 85%, presumably osmosis.
Drained and because I didn't have as much room to move on ABV, i used a 1:1 sugar syrup.

Added 500ml sugar syrup to 500ml of 45% ABV to give about 23% ABV, a bit low but the drink tasted fantastic.

In short, the cut lemon and whole limes were simpler, quicker and gave a better Limoncello / Lemoncello than on the skins only.

Also, I can use the whole fruits for cooking now vis-a-vis the peeled lemons.

Oh, one last thing, I did do a small test where I squeezed the cut lemons to get extra alcohol out of it: this ruined the mix and it is, as most of you would predict, too bitter. I am going to throw that into to my low wines before my next run!

Happy distilling!
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Thanks Tater!
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

Tater wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm after proofing .do it before throw proofer off
That's the effect of the sugars right Tater?
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

My first spiced peach. I had two 1/2 gal jars with 4 pints in each,to that I added 8oz juice from the peach jars. Then I put in one clove, one half spiced peach and some cinnamon all from the spiced peach jar. I'll let it set awhile and see how it turns out.
IMG_20200617_213826.jpg
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Looks gook sailman, my wife ordered a new cabinet for our empty quart jars and I wrestled her for two of the shelves for my grain storage.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm
Tater wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm after proofing .do it before throw proofer off
That's the effect of the sugars right Tater?
right
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

First of all I read the entire thread and I'm very grateful for all of your contributions.

All fruit is unwashed locally grown and covered in nice natural yeast.
I have 2 barrels of must going right now.
One has is 20 gal drum with 30 lb of apricot, 16 lb of sugar and enough water to bring it to +/- 10-11 gallons total. .75 oz of ec1118 1/4 cup lemon juice

Second is 55 gal barrel i will mix up tomorrow. It has 40 lb peaches, 20lb sugar & water to make 13 gallons, 1oz EC1118 as in the tater recipe (waiting a day to add yeast to give buffer of a day between barrels).

My concern is we are expecting 85 to 100 degrees for next 14 days. I dont think my wife will let me put 2 drums in the house to stay under 80 degrees.

Can you say from personal experience if those temperatures will be too much and ruin the must, or will I be good if it's in a non air-conditioned storage room attached to my house? Prob gonna be 85 avg during the day in storage and 65 at night.

Should I supplement with a different yeast just in case?

I see conflicting info on yeast/temp/killing yeast out there...

This is my first time fermenting anything beyond cider.
Thank you!
Last edited by Slivovitz on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Turkey fryer strainer works great to filter chunks
Turkey fryer strainer works great to filter chunks
90 minutes in and yeast starter going strong
90 minutes in and yeast starter going strong
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I use the temperatures recommended by the supplier of the yeast. I don't care who objects. They just have to deal with it if they don't like it. It's only for a few days and they are likely to be the people that are going to enjoy the products the most.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

I'm back!
My question is, for what reason do most recipes recommend macerating at 40 ABV or thereabouts?
I just did some blueberries on 90% and got fantastic results in 3 days, the berries were nearly white!
I did my lemons and limes on 90% also and got great results but Odin's gin for example uses 40% (or 43%) to macerate?
Why the low ABV for maceration?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:51 am I'm back!
My question is, for what reason do most recipes recommend macerating at 40 ABV or thereabouts?...but Odin's gin for example uses 40% (or 43%) to macerate?

Why the low ABV for maceration?
Well, I can think of a couple of reasons:

1) Higher (or lower) alcohol concentrations will dissolve different qualities from the fruit or botanicals (or wood). Since the alkaloids, esters, and acids are dissolvable in either alcohol or water with varying efficacy, the rates of extraction as well as what is extracted will be different, and possibly less predictable. This would affect the flavors you get, or at least the “consistency/predictability” of what you get.

2) When you macerate with a spirit/neutral with a higher %ABV, the maceration will require dilution before redistilling. This would reduce the flavor of the maceration even before redistillation. Remember, you shouldn’t rerun high proof spirits because of the danger to explosion. So, in addition to reason (1) above, you’d have to “water down” the precious flavors you’ve extracted.

Also, when you macerate as described in the T&T, you’ll collect your spirit at a purity suitable for aging or serving. It gets you to the appropriate cask or bottle strength.

These are just 2 of the many reasons “why” it is recommended. Get it?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Slivovitz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:52 pm My concern is we are expecting 85 to 100 degrees for next 14 days. I dont think my wife will let me put 2 drums in the house to stay under 80 degrees.
Get a new wife....Problem solved.

***Honey if you read this someday...I was just kidding. Love you.****
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:
Get a new wife....Problem solved.

***Honey if you read this someday...I was just kidding. Love you.****
A temp controlled ferment chamber might be cheaper, but your solution solves more problems!

I'd just let it ferment outside at ambient temps. You and the wife will both be less stressed, and the yeast will survive.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

It's been stable roughly 75 to 80 degrees in storage. I think it's all good. Bubbling away and smelling great so far
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Slivovitz wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:23 am It's been stable roughly 75 to 80 degrees in storage. I think it's all good. Bubbling away and smelling great so far
should be fine Ive done several small and large barrels just in shade .Some old timers would bury their mash boxes lid level to ground.would help hold temp in winter should do same in summer .{ so I been told }. damn goose thats a good sayin :wink:
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Tater, family in Europe does single runs only in homemade still (old keg) regardless of sugar added or not. Also just leave it in yard in shade no matter the temps. I feel good about my barrels now.

Can you share a picture of what you put in the bottom of pot to prevent scorching? A 10 gallon alembic has a big bottom that gets really hot!

I've got sugar in these apricot & peach barrels per your recipe.

I've also got 180lbs of plums naturally fermenting for 18 days that just got pureed.

Do we have a plum brandy guy here? I read one great thread but he's been gone for years.

Hoping to link up with a few guys who run the same stuff to talk shop with.

I'm spending an hour or so each day studying here.

Lots of good info here, so I'm tole....
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I just use few handfulls of copper fittings .Whatever size on hand .or cut any old copper tubing into pieces couple inches long
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Thank you. I'm really worried about scorching 10 gallons of pulp. If I dont run on high fire to get going, its gonna be an all day thing just to hit 150...

I'm gonna buy a stick of copper to chop up tomorrow.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Read everything you can find online about slivovitz. AFAIK, letting the fire go out and trying to restart without agitating is just about guaranteed burn on and I have a friend who made that mistake.

Butter the bottom of the pot, stir it until it's boiling then put the still head on, don't let the fire go out until the strip has finished.
Strip until the ABV is about what your local slivovitz distillers strip to.
Spirit run to suit your tastes.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Slivovitz wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:03 pmits gonna be an all day thing just to hit 150...
150 what? where? Ignore numbers given to you by anyone and use your senses.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Last Saturday I got around to trying the spiced Peach Brandy that I made, it had spiced peach juice from store-bought spiced peaches cinnamon and cloves. The Brandy was really smooth and lightly sweetened but the one thing that I did notice and did not like was it had a strong Taste and smell of clove. I didn't particularly care for it but others said that it was awesome. So I guess what I'm getting at is if you want to try clove in your peach recipe use very little. I know I won't be using any in the future.
20200620_133605.jpg
The cloudiness came from the juice from the spiced peaches.