strawberry panty-dropper

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RJB510
Novice

Re: strawberry panty-dropper

Post by RJB510 »

There is now only one thing missing to make these directions complete...
What were the quantities of berries to alcohol placed in the jars...
Eg. 500g Berries to 1L of 40% alcohol. I mean. If you want to get technical, the size of the jars would vary. As would the amount of alcohol per berry ratio. So if we could find that out as a constant, it would be perfect starting point for everyone else.
Other than that, You've done good!
Djurmz
Novice

Post by Djurmz »

RJB510 wrote:There is now only one thing missing to make these directions complete...
What were the quantities of berries to alcohol placed in the jars...
Eg. 500g Berries to 1L of 40% alcohol. I mean. If you want to get technical, the size of the jars would vary. As would the amount of alcohol per berry ratio. So if we could find that out as a constant, it would be perfect starting point for everyone else.
Other than that, You've done good!
I used quart size canning jars. I filled them to the brim with frozen fruit, shook it a bit to settle the fruit, then topped up with 40%.
schnell
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by schnell »

porportions are like panties...

as long as it all fits, everythings good.
Tatt2d
Novice

Post by Tatt2d »

Made another attempt a few weeks back. Heres what i did:
1) Diced 1 lbs of strawberies and froze in a quart jar
2) Added 70% nuetral and let soak probably longer than i should have- 1 week.
3) Poured this off to a bottle and added 2TBSN's of lemon juice. Added 1/2 cup fruit to jar.
4) 5 Days later poured the syrup to to the bottle and this is what really turned it a bright red. Added anther 1/2 cup sugar to the jar.

This is where i missed my notes - I cant remember if I made 2 or 3 batches of the sugar/syrup. Either way i know that i made too much cuz it was just a bit too sweet for me. By the way, i split the bottle in half so I had 2 full 35% bottles(750 mL).

So I think I've got if figured out. Just need a little more practice on the sugar.
I ask because I dont know better...

My first drops of distillate fell on Nov.18 '08 quickly followed again 10 days later. I'm hooked...
I run a 1.5" reflux column 51" tall. It is a CM rig... Yea, I know... - researching LM/VM now...
rafterjmc
Novice

Post by rafterjmc »

Just recovering from my second try at this wow did it come out good!!

Anyway had a couple of questions.

?1 When you drain the likker off the first time does it go in the suryp jar or drink it as i did.

?2 That first likker you soak em in do you add lemon to this as well as what you pour the suryp in?
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Hi All,
Just completed my first Strawberry Panty Dropper. So amazing! Usually I have very good luck with Mrs Fester after I get a couple of beers in her. Wish me luck... :P
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

wow... let me catch my breath... ok, promised you a report....
Strawberry Panty Dropper was a success
no need to bring flowers and candy to her now
from now on, she is bringing them to me
a quick search engine revealed the SPD is now banned in 14 countries because of population control concerns.
:D :D
Blueberry Panty Dissolver is next. Pray for me guys. If I do not post here again it is because I am dead with a smile on my face.
Wonderful recipe and great forum.
Fester, the strawberry stud
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

Just put a gallon of Peach Pantie Dropper on, at 80% abv it'll need to be watered down by half.
blueberries are nice, but peaches are what the ladies want. This'll get me in a little trouble.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I've not made SPD and after reading the last few posts I don't think it would be good for my health if I did. At my age a good smoke and some rum sounds much less likely to encourage me to engage in something I may not be able to finish. :))

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

by violentblue:
Just put a gallon of Peach Pantie Dropper on, at 80% abv it'll need to be watered down by half.
blueberries are nice, but peaches are what the ladies want. This'll get me in a little trouble.
Peach Panty Partitioner? I’d like to keep the final product at about 20 ABV, so that sounds about right when you figure in the juice from the peaches. Mrs Frester drinks more if she cannot taste the alcohol. The SPD that I recently made was about 20-25 % and there was no hint of alcohol in it. A perfect ladies drink. I was thinking about freezing some in ice cube trays like jello shots.
BritishBartender
Novice

Post by BritishBartender »

Just made some strawberry and peach. I found the recipe while I was stripping some UJSM so I took some hearts and gave it a try.
I will tell you what, it takes for ever to filter!!

BB
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

anyone ever tried nectarine panty dropper? I'm thinking it should be pretty tasty.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Lothar
Novice

Post by Lothar »

I just pulled out a year old bottle of some blueberry panty droppers and woooooo! Forgot all about it. Boy howdy I was excited when I found it. The wife could figure out why I was gigglin like a little school girl. Fruit season is upon us. Time to start hitting up the farmers markets.
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Just finished a batch of Red Roofies... er.... Strawberry Panty Dropper and wound up with about 5 liters and I think it is 40% ABV but I swear you cannot taste any alcohol. I sampled a bit here and there and some more there too and I can feel that my trousers are kinda loose. After letting Mrs Fester have some of the last batch I fear that making 1 and 1/4 gallons may get me in trouble. The blueberry dropper will be ready tomorrow and the peach dropper will be ready next week. If you guys don't hear from me soon then you can assume that I am dead (with a smile on my face).
Fester
Attachments
red roofies 002.JPG
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

Oh, by the way, I found that heating the SPD really helped it to go through a coffee filter. Also helps to change the filter very often. And knowing that I'll add distilled water to the final product, I added some distilled water to the syrup and that helped also.
Fester, the still living stud. :D
BritishBartender
Novice

Post by BritishBartender »

Thanks for the tips on filtering. I was dreading making another batch.
It took forever to filter the last batch and I was changing the filter every few minutes.
I was just drinking some peach on the rocks last night and I have some blueberry ready to go in a couple of days. I have to add less suger next time!!

BB
FloridaSunShine
Novice

Post by FloridaSunShine »

Hey! I just finished soaking the berries in some Everclear. I poured the alcohol out and tested it. It only showed 60 proof. What happened to all the alcohol content? Did I do something wrong? Does the juice effect the reading?
I had read in this thread to dilute the alcohol to 80 proof but this is lower than that.

Suggestions? Answers? Anyone? Anyone?
TIA,
FSS
FloridaSunShine

Live your life in such a way that every morning when your feet hit the floor...Satan shudders and says..."Oh No...he's AWAKE!"
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

when adding anything but water to alcohol the hydrometer reading wont be accurate.you need to go by volume.
FloridaSunShine
Novice

Post by FloridaSunShine »

Maybe I used the wrong instrument(I am very new). I used the one that say % alcohol. It floated at 30. I tried the otehr instrument and it sank to the bottom.
?
FloridaSunShine

Live your life in such a way that every morning when your feet hit the floor...Satan shudders and says..."Oh No...he's AWAKE!"
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

no, you used the instrument that would 'normally' be used to measure proof. It does this by measuring the specific gravity of the liquid. The scale on these items will ONLY work properly if the liquid is pure ethanol mixed with pure water.

However, what you have is a mix of ethanol, water, sugar and possible fruit solids.

Thus the specific gravity is not going to measure 'right', since sugar is denser than water or ethanol.

Once you sugar up a drink, there are no 'ready made' tools to measure the ABV.

The method to measure ABV, is to KNOW in advance how much ethanol you have (volume). Compute that to 100% ethanol. So if you had 1 liter of everclear at 170 proof (I am not sure what proof everclear is at), then you would have 1 L of 85% or .85L of 100% ethanol. Then when done, if ALL of the ethanol was recovered into your final drink (usually if you macerate fruit this is not the case), and say your volumn ends up at 2L, then you would have 2L of drink, which has .85L of ethanol in it. So you have .85/2 percentage ethanol, or about 42% (84-85 proof). This is the only easy way for a home distiller to work with creation of sugary drinks. However, as I mentioned, on most fruit macerations, you will NOT recover 100% of the ethanol you started with (Some is left with the fruit or evaporates). Thus, the proof you compute will be a little high. How much higher than actual it is, depends upon how much ethanol was 'lost' along the way.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
Jwardjr
Novice

Post by Jwardjr »

Can the same thing be done with Peaches and Plums? Sounds awesome! Going to the freezer right now!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

YES .... pears, apricots apples ..also ..
nlantz
Novice

Post by nlantz »

Just gave it a rushed test taste. Had some siting in a big pickle jar for 3 weeks, Got like 50mm of syrup in a few hours out of it. so made a quick batch. taste like candy. added more sugar to the fruit and gonna let it hang out over night. Anyone carbonate this ? made it out of 100 proof, thinking of lowering it down to like 10% and force carbonating a sample. How would I keep the flavor and not make it taste to watery ?
Burning Man
Novice

Post by Burning Man »

nlantz wrote:Just gave it a rushed test taste. Had some siting in a big pickle jar for 3 weeks, Got like 50mm of syrup in a few hours out of it. so made a quick batch. taste like candy. added more sugar to the fruit and gonna let it hang out over night. Anyone carbonate this ? made it out of 100 proof, thinking of lowering it down to like 10% and force carbonating a sample. How would I keep the flavor and not make it taste to watery ?

How did the carbonating go?
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

I understand that Coke makes their money by vending the secret concentrate or syrup to their franchisers, who then add the carbonated water. After my last batch of panty melter, I'd thought that the next time I would explore that a bit. Concentrated Panty Dropper that is "just right" when mixed with soda water.

Thinking of making a batch just to be used as a mixer with Sprite/7 Up/most anything light and carbonated.

Anyone out there in Panty Dropper Land try this yet? If so, let me know.
Maybe this has been covered in this thread before but I really don't want to read it all again as this has become the world's longest thread.

Fester
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

yup I made a red current that blends with soda nicely, and sprite for a very sweet drink. It's good.
My stuff
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

kiwistiller wrote:yup I made a red current that blends with soda nicely, and sprite for a very sweet drink. It's good.
Don't be shy, kiwistiller! Post your secret red current recipe or give a link to it. I won't tell anyone else... promise. It will be our secret.
I would like to follow your success. As for me only strawberries or blueberries or a mix of the two so far. Strawberries have been better.

Now I'm thinking about moving up to a "mixer" concentrate so I can add the carbonation via some kind of soda.

Fester is tireless in the persuit of pleasing his lady. Especially if it gives me an excuse to distill more!
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

It's just a generic panty dropper... use red currents instead of strawberries, and when you're adding back the sugar syrup stuff to the alcohol, do it in stages and sample lots with your desired mixer until you hit the right spot. Personally, I like it quite heavy on the lemon juice, and I sometimes use citric acid as well to add some extra bite.
My stuff
Fester
Swill Maker

Post by Fester »

kiwistiller wrote:It's just a generic panty dropper... ..... Personally, I like it quite heavy on the lemon juice, and I sometimes use citric acid as well to add some extra bite.
Thanks, all good suggestions.
mupfo
Novice

Post by mupfo »

Made blueberry /raspberry ,peach, strawberry and working on apple with a couple of cinnamon sticks in it ( for the holidays ) Let ya know how it turns out but sounds good !! blueberry and raspberry is the best so far :D