Peach brandy

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach brandy

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Thanks friend.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

I scored about a thirty gallon fermenter of peaches this fall. Mashed, screened and fermented in two buckets. The cap just fell on the buckets so I ran the smaller one. As I understand it, I'm to run it on the pulp? The reason I ask is that I noticed when I run fruit wine ' dirty' it leaves allot of residue....and the distillate comes out cloudy. Footers noticed it while running a bunch of plum wine I did this summer. Scrubbed, soaked in citric acid, ran vinegar top get the blue and purple out of my still. Ran the first run of peach and its cloudy again. Brown oily film inside my shiny clean copper again.

Should I just run the clear wine above the mush? There is only a few gallons that's not silty. Our are you guys staining it? I initially tried straining my plum wine but found it nearly impossible a the mush clogs the filter too fast. I did run it faster as I was doing a striping run......looker I've done for sweet feed and apple wine in the past.

Thanks!
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

Ha! Sorry for the bad english....I'm on my tiny phone.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I would dip off and run clear as I could till I got experience with fruit washes. If your running with a thumper could put pulpy mash in it.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

It would be such a waste to only run the clear - The larger fermenter is a 24 gallon can with seriously only about 3-5 gallons of clear over about 15+ gallons of pulp. Im using a 15 gal. keg as my boiler.

I don't mean to sound daft but I kind of am. Im not sure what further experience I should be waiting for with fruit ferments. I am 'young' in the game and have only run a few runs of apple, a few runs of pear, and a blackberry wine (5 gallons per run) through. Ive been making beer and wine for years and this was stuff that was sitting in the basement for 2 years as I never got around to bottling it (kid came earlier then expected) so it was pretty darn clear.

With the peach I was going for pure quality and did not add any water (they were super juicy and made plenty of moisture to be soupy after being blended). After taking the pits out, mashing and screening, I Hit them with sulfates and then the next day dropped a wine yeast bomb. O.G. was 1.055! Ferment was up to par. The only problem is that it is soooo pulpy that the majority of my liquid is in the 'soup'. I cant move that heavy ass fermenter outside to colder temps so that technique of getting thing to drop out of suspension is out of the question. Should I run super slow?

What would a person with more experience do that I am not doing? Thanks!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Let it settle long enough and clear will be much father down then it is now do even better colder it is . I use old blankets and walmart laundry bag that fit my 15 gallon barrels that's got a drain on it .http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... art=12.Ive taken blankets put in 55 gallon barrel and filled with product then tied end blanket to my come along and slowly crank up till sack above barrel .This is a slow process but it works.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You got a press. Make one it ain't gonna be the last time you use it.
you gonna put that pulp in your kettle you best keep it stired till you cap it

So IM tole
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

I like the simplicity of the blanket idea but I think a press would be both quicker and do a better job. I'm gonna need to rent a apple press in the next week or so anyhow. Thanks
Goose and Tater. I'll let ya know how she goes!
olecajun
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by olecajun »

Well?????? Whats the update?????
Gator Meat ;; Its whats for dinner
Camille
Novice

Re:

Post by Camille »

absinthe wrote:your gonna take the stones out? i made a plum wine once, left the stones in and MAN it was bad, i tried distilling it and it was still bad lol
I used prune plums without stones. Didn't think there was any alcohol in it....didn't get the Brandy I wanted but it turned out to be more potent than I thought. Threw oak chips in it and in the cupboard it goes:-). I would like to make a nice brandy though. Still working on that.
"We don't make mistakes we do variations"
Whiskeybent87
Novice

Post by Whiskeybent87 »

So I just found this thread while I was looking for fruit run ideas. Just a thought on the straining of all these soupy thicker mashes. Im not sure if many of you guys are familiar with a chinois (Extra fine mesh strainer). They are a kind of a PITA to get everything through them, but with a nice rubber spatula, you can just keep stirring and stirring and all liquid will get through. The strainer will need sprayed out often but it will pick up an amazing amount of fine particulate that would normally be suspended in your wash. These can be found just about anywhere online and are widely used in the professional kitchen (my primary abode).

Side note: Ive modified a large salad spinner with screening on the inside so as not to allow too much to get through it. Works great to get a lot of liquid out without taking up too much time!

Nyeh: Weh
oban57
Novice

Post by oban57 »

If I repeated myself here, sorry. Looking to make my first brandy. "Have peaches, will cook..." Anyway, skins - on or off to press peaches. Also, just peaches or add sugar to increase production? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. Thanks again,
Jims71duster
Novice

Post by Jims71duster »

Isn't there supposed to be a recipe
D in Texas
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by D in Texas »

Hello, I've made several batches using Tater's Peach Brandy recipe. I've used peaches, apples, grapes and pears. I use bruised and old fruit bought from local supermarkets. I wash and quarter the fruit and cut off any rotten or moldy spots. I remove pits but not small fruit seeds. The cut up fruit gets a good squirt of lemon juice in the freezer bag. Freezing breaks up the fruit's cell structure and also lets me accumulate fruit as it's available cheaply. I grind the thawed fruit in a garbage disposal grinder. My recipe is 20 lbs of fruit, 4 lbs of sugar, some yeast nutrient and water to make 4 gallons. Like Tater's recipe, I ferment with skins on (it's all a mush after going through the grinder anyway) My go-to yeast is Red Star DADY, but I've experimented with champagne and wine yeasts. I distill in a pot still, again, distilling pulp and all. I don't have any problem with scorching, only a little "sticking" on the pot bottom. I make a single run, removing only the foreshots and cutting at 24% overhead. The result is a clear fruity-tasting distillate that averages 75 proof. It tastes good in drinks straight from the still, and far better when aged on toasted oak or apple for a few weeks.

There are ten million ways to do this; this one works well for me.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Tater wrote:Doing peaches with no added sugar wont make much .I only attempt making pure brandy when I got enough to fill a 55 gallon barrel with 50 gallons .
What kind of yeild do you think you'll get Tater?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

That time of years again, don't know if I have the stamina! Lol.
Attachments
IMG_20160901_171003.jpg
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

oban57 wrote:If I repeated myself here, sorry. Looking to make my first brandy. "Have peaches, will cook..." Anyway, skins - on or off to press peaches. Also, just peaches or add sugar to increase production? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful. Thanks again,
Skins on, get as many stones out as possible and if you have enough peaches go without sugar. I didn't cook at all I found no need to. If you have to add sugar, invert it!
All really depends on your still, how many peaches you have and how much time you're willing to invest. I just did one and man it was a lot of work. Out of 40 gal must I ended up with only 2.5 gal. But man its gooooood :thumbup:
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

wrong time of year for peaches so I was wondering if I could buy bulk peaches in can and make a wash from that?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Don't try walking on the peaches to crush them.
Works with grapes, I know, but some peaches have VERY pointy stones...
Geoff
The Baker
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

bigbuck wrote:...could (I) buy bulk peaches in can and make a wash from that?
It sounds expensive. What price would you pay for a bottle of peach brandy?

But, if you do...don't pour out the sugar syrup they're canned in. It'll ferment just dandy, so keep it all. But, be careful with your OG...don't try to make it too high, as that will dilute the already delicate peach flavor.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

LWTCS wrote:
Tater wrote:Doing peaches with no added sugar wont make much .I only attempt making pure brandy when I got enough to fill a 55 gallon barrel with 50 gallons .
What kind of yeild do you think you'll get Tater?
couts on sugar content of peaches . last time I made it got 3 gallons 100 proof
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

Hey Tater, was looking over recipes and came across this, I have only run brandy twice and turned it into something akin to your blueberries sweet sippin' likker, because I used DADY and it wasn't the right yeast.

Down the line into summer I'm looking to try brandy again; I had a thought, if you used inverted sugar or inverted sugar syrup to punch the gravity of a brandy wash, do you think that would work since it's not supposed to leave any flavor like sugar is?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

distiller_dresden wrote:Hey Tater, was looking over recipes and came across this, I have only run brandy twice and turned it into something akin to your blueberries sweet sippin' likker, because I used DADY and it wasn't the right yeast.

Down the line into summer I'm looking to try brandy again; I had a thought, if you used inverted sugar or inverted sugar syrup to punch the gravity of a brandy wash, do you think that would work since it's not supposed to leave any flavor like sugar is?
read this one viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2196
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

DD, that's a good link tater gave to ya so read it.

From my experience, small amounts of sugar can be used without diluting the base fruit flavors. I would however invert the sugar to break the long chains down to more usable sugars, easier to fully ferment them.

Fruits can be very rewarding and frustrating all in one whack. Needs a little more tlc than other washes/mashes imo but the end result makes you smile ear to ear as long as you don't fudge it.

My suggestion would be no more than .25 lb per gallon
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Found 1/2 gallon jug 1/2 full of this recipe I made back on 06 .Still tasty :thumbup:
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

Can't be nothin' better than found likker! Was talking to Cranky and he had forgot about many several jugs of brandies he'd stashed in his hot attic to hid from I think someone watching his house, something of that sort, for many months. Not only was that found likker, but the likker had all that time to heat up/cool down/heat up etc. on repeat, so it got that much so so better! I wish I could have this problem/luck!

I have one 32oz jar of my peach, which was the very first thing I ever made back in January, that I'm hoping to save for perpetuity. It won't last that long, but a long time to save would be nice. It was my first make!

I noticed it turned color, it got a lot darker than it originally was, it used to be a bright peach color, now it's a nice darker brown peach color, not like whisky, but like a piece of amber. You ever have this happen Tater? It's oxidation of all the peaches stuff since I used your method, had them soaking in the likker, something in them is in the likker, and that's what oxidized and turned darker, right?

Boy has it gotten smoother, even picked up a hint of vanilla or something, since it's sat and darkened.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

Great thread tater, as you know I am a real peach brandy nut.....
Got 220L of peach pulp ready to run, pretty excited because this time I did not use sugar.....

Will be interesting to see what type of yield I will get from a proper brandy!
Attachments
0A38CCBC-2CF3-46D1-BD18-04C25D1B6922.jpeg
Never mistake kindness for weakness....
Mainer7
Novice

Post by Mainer7 »

Hutch- wrote:I think it all depends on the sugar. Recently ran a pear wash, adding 30 lbs. of sugar to 40 gal. of crushed pears. Had no adverse affect on the flavor or harshness.

Go to heavy on the sugar you've got a sugar wash with peaches for a little flavor and a nutrient. Added a little sugar and its still a peach brandy in my book. Not much sugar content in peaches, I'd think you'd want to kick it up a bit considering all the work.
"Not much sugar content in peaches"????????????
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

In 45-50 gal of peach wash with no sugar I got right at 3 gal of delicious peach brandy, I kept it all white tho!

Yes the yield was lower but I can without a doubt taste the difference between the sugar and one without.

I still have a little over a gal of the 3 and I'd serve it to the snooty brandy snobs.

I would in the case of not having as much as I did add .5 lb per gal, it will be good just not quite as good imho :thumbup:
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

If ya add sugar you should try inverting . that is covered on another topic .viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2196 . This one is peach brandy not sugar likker peach .