Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

learner
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by learner »

so i should add some water... can you advise on how much ? and if i add water should i add a packet of yeast too?

EDIT: i added 2L of water, SG seems to be at 1075 but its hard to read because the liquid is so fizzy...

Still wondering if i have enough yeast now though :\
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Somewhere under or around a gram of dry yeast per liter of wash is fine.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
learner
Novice

Post by learner »

ok so i added 2l of water+ 5g of yeast. did i disturb the wash too much of will it work anyway? now, do i let it breathe and if so for how long before i can put the lid+ airlock on it?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Just put the lid back on and let it ferment dry. No problem.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
learner
Novice

Post by learner »

thank you so much sir, i cant wait to taste this :)
BillG
Novice

Post by BillG »

Friends,
The small 5 gr package of ec1118 says "1 pack for 6 gal wash". This seems awfully light to this newb. Steer me right or let me know this is OK. Did read the whole thread looking for answer. May have missed it?

6 cups crushed corn flakes
10 lb sugar
2 slices rye bread
juice 1 lemon
6 gal water
1 5 gr. package ec1118

Thank-you for assistance.

Bill
One Sock
Bootlegger

Post by One Sock »

@BillG: Even one grain of yeast from that package will work, just takes a lot longer. Yeast multiplies as long as the nutrients are there and the ABV doesn't get high enough to kill them! I would use half the sugar tho...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

To add: strive for 0.75 to 1 gram per liter of wash. And yeast multiplies as long as there is O2 in the wash. When that's depleted, it changes metabolism and starts producing alcohol instead of creating ... new yeast.

Odin.
BillG
Novice

Post by BillG »

Mr. Odin,
Thanks for taking time to help me.

Perhaps I should add some more water if you think I went to much on the sugar? My buckets are bubbling, but at a snails pace. 2-3 bubbles per minute.

Room temp is 70 deg.

Should finish by 4th of July?, at this pace?

Bill
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

It will!

Odin.
downriverdirty
Novice

Post by downriverdirty »

Dnderhead wrote:The corn grits are cooked in steam pressure cookers, with Kellogg’s unique malt flavour, at temperatures exceeding 100C. This cooking process lasts for an hour and softens the hard grits. The hot grits are transported from the cookers to large driers via the complicated network of pipes that runs through the factory. The grits spend several hours in the hot-air driers in order to reduce their moisture content.

The corn grits are milled using two large rollers, which squeeze the grits flat. One of the rollers rotates slightly faster than the other and exerts 40 tonnes of pressure on the grits.
This elongates the flakes. The flakes are then tumble toasted for 30 seconds in huge cylindrical ovens. The air in the ovens is heated by 600C gas flames and the flakes are tossed around in a rotating drum. The drum is angled so that the flakes whirl around and pass through it quite quickly, and stops them spending too long in the fierce heat.
The flakes are then sprayed with vitamins and minerals to make them as nutritious as possible. We now have Corn Flakes.
The Kelloggs factory is located in Battle Creek, Michigan.........many, many thousands of schoolkids have taken the tour on fieldtrips. Myself included. Now I just need to take the JD tour in Lynchburg TN!
BillG
Novice

Post by BillG »

Sitting on my hands waiting for my first ferment to finish. Been bubbling slowly for 10 days now.

Posted ingredients for my wash a few posts ago, and just knew it would be slow going. House remains at 70 deg. Must be too much sugar and not enough yeast. No foul smells from bubblers, so I haven't messed with either bucket. Sure gonna be fun when I get to do my first run on the 4th of July!

Has to stop bubbling some day, so I'll continue the waiting....

BillG
Beerbrewer
Swill Maker

Post by Beerbrewer »

Odin, can I ask a question, I get about 12-13ltrs of wash after I have racked off the lees, is this about right for 1kg of cornflakes in a 20ltr wash?
BrooklynTech
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BrooklynTech »

How long will backset last? I did my second generation CF fermentation back in July of last year. I have one gallon sitting at about 62*F. Can I use this to start 3rd generation? or do I have to start over? I only drink one shot a night so I'm sitting on a lot about 1 gallon sitting on oak since then.
Infraction
Novice

Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Infraction »

@downriverdirty the JD tour is awesome, can't beat the price, it's free. Go when they are doing the BBQ contest, you will have a great time, just don't breathe in to deep when they open the port for a 10,000 gal mash :)
I have a drinking problem man, one mouth and two hands
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Odin;
Couple ?

I am wanting to make a 120l batch.
How much yeast?

Also I couldn't find Kellogg's corn flakes just frosted flakes.
They have vit b just has added sugar. How much less sugar do you think I use?
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Guys looking for some advice. I've got 50% that I aged on med toast oak for 8 maths and I think it's just been over oaked a little. It's not offensive but I can taste the woody flav.

What can I do to mellow out or strip some of the wood flavour?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Add some unaged, white CF whiskey ...

Odin.
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Damn don't have any. Will neutral do the job?
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

this seems like a great recipe cant wait to try it after im done with my build
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I just noticed that the back of my corn flakes box says "rise and shine". I'd say that's a sign from God. :)
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
crazyk78
Swill Maker

Post by crazyk78 »

Haha. Cryptic clued
McPlink
Novice

Post by McPlink »

Hello all CF crafters - This is my first attempt to make my own spirits. This recipe seemed easy enough without a grain complication so I'm giving it a whirl. I've got a 15 gal stainless/copper pot with a 2 foot column and a condenser. My first take on this went something like this:
- crushed 2.1 lbs of corn flakes in their bags
- heated 1 gal of water to almost a boil and added the flakes (note - 2 gals and a larger pot would have been much better as they almost rose out of the pot)
- 16 lbs of sugar 1/2 gal of water in the boiler. Heated slowly until a syrup formed
- added 8 1/2 gals of water to the pot
- added CF mush - heated mixture to 190 degrees - stirred vigorously and often
- cooled wash to 110 degrees with wash cooler
- in a separate pot heated 2 cups of water, 1 tbsp of sugar to 105 degrees - put in 4oz of Fleschmans ADY yeast (OMG had to run to the boiler because it went nuts)
- pitched yeast to the mix and aerated with a clean bucket (I think I should have done this before the yeast)
- took off immediately - dumped into 2- 6 1/2 gal carboys and its burbling away!!

All of my gear accept the stainless pot and copper dome were made/assembled by me. Having tons of fun. Can't wait to run it. If this first run goes well, I have 2 pints of honey and I may throw one in the next batch.

Thanks for all of the information to get me this far - Patrick
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

So - first attempt at this recipe and I've burnt it. Boo. Poured the cornflake / rye bread mixture into the bucket and left behind a stuck on layer of decidedly burned looking goo.
I'll run it anyway to see what it's like. Even if it's just for something to compare with my next batch when I'll be a bit more careful.

No bubbles out of my airlock either... I can't keep the lid on the bucket! Go Baker's yeast :-)

Will update you at some point no doubt.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

Made up a 70l batch of this stuff.
3kg cornflakes, 120g bakers yeast, 11and a bit kg sugar and a dash alpha amylase for luck.
Cooked the flakes, dissolved the sugar, and whipped the whole thing up to aerate with a big ass submersible pump.
Sub pump grinds up the flakes a treat btw, completely smooth with no discernible bits!

Its finished, stopped bubbling and tastes a lot like white wine. (A hell of a lot better than some of the stuff the mrs drinks actually...)
I cold crashed it using my beer line flash chiller, right down to about 3 centigrade.
It has cleared famously, but there is about 25l of thick slimy trub in the bottom.
I racked off the clear wash, and left the rest to chill for another couple days.
Only about another litre to claim.
Even running it through a micron filter bag it has only reduced in violume by about 25%.
About 18l dry trub seems to be a hell of a lot! 1/3 total wash lost to trub doesnt seem right.
Is this normal?
If not, any ideas?
Ta very much!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I use a similar recipe but with frosted flakes and I think it's normal as I get same results;

5kg frosted flakes
.5 rye flakes
17kg sugar
In 100l of water
Gets me about 110l of wash.

I get about 80l of clear wash at then end trying to get any more out the slime trub seems futile lol
I ended getting more mess than anything.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

most ppl have said messing with the trub isnt worth the effort.

only prob is, its a new build and i need some wash for the sac run.
hanging it in the filter bag over night isnt too much effort, and the resultant wash is only going down the drain when im done anyways.

i gots a 20l boiler, so if i reclaim the crap from the trub, it still leaves me enough for the sac run, then two strips and a spirit!
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

When cooking the flakes, are you going at a simmer or specific temp?
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Went back through posts, somehow missed the page where #everyone # talked about it. Wish I'd seen this one sooner. The "easy" potato wash someone gave me is a mess bomb.
Last edited by segaskin on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

No problem. So ... did you start this recipe already?

Odin.