Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by still_stirrin »

flyweed wrote:...just curious how many jars I should collect
How big are your jars? Makes a difference. I like to collect at least a dozen jars, preferably 2 dozen. That gives me a fine degree of differentiation between the "tops" and the "bottoms".
flyweed wrote:...or amount to collect per "cut" ??
This is a "moving target". You need to make the cuts according to your senses, not a "fixed number". Learn to cut by smell, touch, taste...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

SS.....yeah, I've normally done the touch, taste, smell. I just wasn't sure how many jars to pull out and how "SMALL" my cuts should be. I've got pint jars and quart jars...LOL. Figure I'll pitch the first half cup or so, then start collecting heads.
Drink tonight.....For tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

I collected around 2.5 gallons of "low wines" I have already tempered it down to 40% and now have about 5 gallons to run a spirit run on.
TREEGUY1
Novice

Post by TREEGUY1 »

flyweed wrote:I collected around 2.5 gallons of "low wines" I have already tempered it down to 40% and now have about 5 gallons to run a spirit run on.
Thanks Flyweed- I did a 8gl stripping run and got about 1.5gls of spirits. So I'm kinda following what you're doing to see what you come up with. I figured it wouldn't be worth the time and effort for anything less than 5gls.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

no problem. I did strip down to until I hit 15 proof...then called it quits. So yeah, I got 2.5 gallons waiting to run now for spirit run.
TREEGUY1
Novice

Post by TREEGUY1 »

flyweed wrote:no problem. I did strip down to until I hit 15 proof...then called it quits. So yeah, I got 2.5 gallons waiting to run now for spirit run.
Excellent...Thank you!!!
mmmhooch
Novice

Post by mmmhooch »

So I've done UJSSM with feed corn. You are able to see clearly the spent corn float to get rid of and replace. I would like to try this recipe with corn flakes, but wondering if it's the same things. Will the Spent flakes float and that is what you replace on sequencial runs? Also I have a bunch of fresh frozen corn. Can that be used? Can I just throw it in the blender and use, or is their another process. Thanks
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

mmmhooch wrote:So I've done UJSSM with feed corn. You are able to see clearly the spent corn float to get rid of and replace. I would like to try this recipe with corn flakes, but wondering if it's the same things. Will the Spent flakes float and that is what you replace on sequencial runs? Also I have a bunch of fresh frozen corn. Can that be used? Can I just throw it in the blender and use, or is their another process. Thanks
The cornflakes mush up at the bottom. No floaters in that porridge.
Frozen corn should work fine from what I've read here. Blender will give you more surface area, possibly more flavor.
It's just costly compared to dry corn, and that's likely why you don't see many people using it.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Good Morning!
I have my Gen #1 running since Thursday night. It bubbled immediately after 4 hours and bubbled now till this morning..
So, it has fermented for about 4.5 days. It is no longer bubbling.
What do you suggest? Open it and do a SG reading? Anything else?

It was suppose to go for 7 days right?

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Wingpilot66
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Wingpilot66 wrote:Good Morning!
I have my Gen #1 running since Thursday night. It bubbled immediately after 4 hours and bubbled now till this morning..
So, it has fermented for about 4.5 days. It is no longer bubbling.
What do you suggest? Open it and do a SG reading? Anything else?

It was suppose to go for 7 days right?
That's not a rule in stone.
I recall this taking about that same time for me. And I've made a lot of it.

Take a gravity reading. And also taste the ferment. Should NOT taste sweet if it's done.
If it is sweet, there's sugar left. Try warming the ferment if that's the case.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Ok, thanks! I will do that tonight.
Also, FYI my fermenting bucket has been in a fermenting room.... (spare bathroom/tub/with a heater that cycles temp on and off to keep it at 88 degrees).
What is a good reading I would consider? Also, if it is still sweet and knowing the fermenting room is warm already, what next?

Thanks a ton! I really appreciate the help and guidance.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

If I recall, I was usually getting right around 1.000, maybe 0.999 at times.
All the mush is at the bottom by now, so it should measure fine with the hydrometer straight in the bucket.
Sounds like your temperature is under control, so let's see first where your gravity is before worrying.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

1.000 or under, you are are good to go. I have had my first cornflake run in an oak barrel for about 5 months or so now, I added some of my own raw honey, as I keep honey bees. It is starting to taste really awesome, of a nice honey whiskey.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Still Life wrote:If I recall, I was usually getting right around 1.000, maybe 0.999 at times.
All the mush is at the bottom by now, so it should measure fine with the hydrometer straight in the bucket.
Sounds like your temperature is under control, so let's see first where your gravity is before worrying.

Great Information. Thank you. I will get a S.G. reading tonight and I will report back.

If it is a 1.00 or .999 then I assume I can turn off the heat and let it sit for a couple days to clear and cool off. then it will be ready to run?

Cheers!
Wingpilot66
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Exactly. After you do a few you'll find it's quite done right around 1.000 territory.
You're doing fine.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Well, good news. Came home and it was bubbling, albeit a lot slower. Maybe a burp every 30 seconds. So I'll just keep waiting. Thank you for the information and encouragement.
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

just don't be in a hurry. Let it work..then let it clear. siphon it off and run it. letting it sit a while isn't going to hurt a thing.
CanadaRun
Novice

Post by CanadaRun »

Using this recipe for my very first mash! Got a 3 gal boiler and a larger cooking pot in the mail, didn't have anything I could cook 20l in haha so I decided to do a 1/4 run.
5l water
300g corn flakes
4.5 cups sugar
1/4 cup fleischmanns yeast.

Cooked flakes water and sugar for about 20 min. Let cool to 100° then tossed yeast in. If seen other people use cooler temps than this but the directions for yeast were a little higher. 15m later and already bubbling like crazy! Can't wait to try this sacrificial run and start a larger one!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

CanadaRun wrote:Using this recipe for my very first mash! Got a 3 gal boiler and a larger cooking pot in the mail, didn't have anything I could cook 20l in haha so I decided to do a 1/4 run.
5l water
300g corn flakes
4.5 cups sugar
1/4 cup fleischmanns yeast.

Cooked flakes water and sugar for about 20 min. Let cool to 100° then tossed yeast in. If seen other people use cooler temps than this but the directions for yeast were a little higher. 15m later and already bubbling like crazy! Can't wait to try this sacrificial run and start a larger one!
I've said it before, and will say it again. This recipe is impressive.
If you get a chance to oak it with strips or in a cask, it gets even better.
Last camp out I had folks refusing to believe this was made with cornflakes.
Enjoy your next keeper batch! And congrats on choosing a winner.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I just finished a batch to use for diluting a feints run. Leftovers from two bourbon runs, a COW (corn oats wheat) and an all malt. My thinking was if some subtle flavor carried through from the feints, the added corn flavor would be a nice but easy complement, and keep me from diluting with water, and creating a bourbon-ish product.

This worked well. The corn comes through. Added the original recipe to almost three gallons of feints, ending up with something between 30-35%. I'd suggest this is an excellent use of this recipe in addition to straight up. We'll see how it ages on oak, but I might pull a little as a white dog - I suspect it will be nice.
CanadaRun
Novice

Post by CanadaRun »

@Still Life

Been researching oak aging sticks, do you have a recommended char level for this recipe?

3 days into ferment and all the corn flakes dropped to bottom over night ( I didn't use a blender for the corn flakes just hand crushed, next batch i will grind) there are still a few air bubbles on surface but defiantly starting to clear, starting to smell very strong of ethanol and a slight hint of the corn flakes. Fermenting temps have been steady at 25°c (77°F) which from what I have read is a little bit on the colder side, figured if I went out and bought a aqua heater right away I'd never know what a colder mash would be like :)

Probably another week and a half till my gear gets here so she has tons of time left to get delicious.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Hey, CanadaRun.
I can only recommend Level 3 Char, because frankly that's what my barrels came as.
And the product is consistently great with a nice rich color.
char.PNG
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Wingpilot66 wrote:Well, good news. Came home and it was bubbling, albeit a lot slower. Maybe a burp every 30 seconds. So I'll just keep waiting. Thank you for the information and encouragement.

Thank you all!,

I ran my first batch of CF Whiskey Sunday.

Out of about 3 to 3.5 gallon of wash I distilled 6.5 mason jars. the last jar was definitely a low tails jar. started tasting like water again.

Will be interesting to blend and age. the middle jars tasted pretty good. kinda 'corny' if that is a word. i'm betting it will smooth out as it ages.

Gen #2 is in the Fermenter!

Fun stuff ya'll.

Cheers,

wingpilot66
flyweed
Swill Maker

Post by flyweed »

oh..trust me..it DOES smooth out nicely. Like I said, I added some of my own honey to this, and it's been in a new oak barrel now pushing 6 months....I took a flask of it to a friends house this weekend, and he also had a flask George Dickel that he likes, and we compared my cornflakes whisky to his George..and my el cheapo cornflake honey whisky is so much more mellow, smoother and warmer than the harshness of his George it wasn't even funny. He refused to believe I made it with cornflakes.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

flyweed wrote:oh..trust me..it DOES smooth out nicely. Like I said, I added some of my own honey to this, and it's been in a new oak barrel now pushing 6 months....I took a flask of it to a friends house this weekend, and he also had a flask George Dickel that he likes, and we compared my cornflakes whisky to his George..and my el cheapo cornflake honey whisky is so much more mellow, smoother and warmer than the harshness of his George it wasn't even funny. He refused to believe I made it with cornflakes.

That sounds Awesome! I hope I get similar results!
Cheers Friends!
TREEGUY1
Novice

Post by TREEGUY1 »

Yep..just finished my first spirit run of this recipe, and cut it to 50% (100 proof) and it is very smooth!!! I plan on making some Apple Pie and Fire Bomb Shine from this batch..I'll let you know how it turns out!
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

On this recipe, is a stripping run recommended or just do a spirit run?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Wingpilot66 wrote:On this recipe, is a stripping run recommended or just do a spirit run?
I do a strip and spirit. Seems to be mellower that way for me.
Wingpilot66
Novice

Post by Wingpilot66 »

Still Life wrote:
Wingpilot66 wrote:On this recipe, is a stripping run recommended or just do a spirit run?
I do a strip and spirit. Seems to be mellower that way for me.
Thank you Still Life, I will do that on Gen #2.
Last edited by Wingpilot66 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadaRun
Novice

Post by CanadaRun »

Will have to try a strip run when I got enough to charge.

Got my boiler so I was able to cook off a larger batch for my first real run! I'm no baker so my mesurments might be +/- 100g or 1cup but the new batch came to about 4.5 gal (1000-1100g corn flakes, about 17 cups of sugar and 1 cup of fleischmanns original yeast) the gravity was 1.85 ish? Measured inside the bucket so I'm pretty sure that's not correct ( i did adjust based on temp) just thought there were too many floaties.

Got this in our 1bedroom so my gf isn't too happy, says the smell reminds her of high school biology class haha but she's a good one and let's me get away with it :D as long as I make her some rum she says.

Here's a pic about 1hr after pitching yeast.
Attachments
One of these things is not like the other
One of these things is not like the other