Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I'm getting my supplies need to start a 60L ferment. Should give me a sac run and some keeper
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Just picked up the supplies, plan on starting tonight or tomorrow. I'm "on call" so interruption is always a possibility. Also only have a hydrometer, seeing I need a SG tool also from the looks of things so I may wait for it. My "tater" mash has either finished or stalled, but it as going to be a SAC run so I'm not going to stress on it, but it's only been 4 days so I'm guessing it hit a brick wall. Plan on focusing on this recipe over next couple of weeks.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Your hydrometer IS the SG tool. or are you confusing things with Alcometer to measure alcohol content
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

I've got a proof and tralle hydrometer for finished product, I don't think it'll work for wash/wort. Not sure whether to go with a refractometer or an SG hydrometer, I've seen both mentioned. When I was initially getting set up the basic recipes I got exposed to didn't really mention SG, they were of the prep wash, distill, and measure variety. Amazing how two weeks of research can't even be counted as basic! Glad to have stumbled upon this forum, amazing how much partial (read half-a**ed) info is floating around out there.
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

segaskin wrote: Amazing how two weeks of research can't even be counted as basic! Glad to have stumbled upon this forum, amazing how much partial (read half-a**ed) info is floating around out there.
Glad you realize this. Many people don't! These cereal washes are great. Easy to do with good results. Get good with one and play around to find a unique flavor hut suits your taste the best. Its a hobby so its all about fun and good drink! :thumbup:
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Simmerin mush as we speak. Triple scale hydrometer should be here about a day or so before dry if all works out. Went with 510g cf, approx 200g frosted (it's what i had here), thinking sugar 2-2.5kg to ease burn and up corn. As a starter i was thinking more flavor, can always bump abv in other generations.
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

This is my first ferment for distilling. Cornflakes whiskey
One thing I don’t understand yet is inverting of the sugar.
Some people are inverting the sugar and some aren't.
What is the reason to invert the sugar and how does it help or hinder the ferment? What does it do to the sugar?
I know it’s a rookie question but I am a rookie.
I want to learn how to do things correctly from the start.
I have been reading for 6 weeks and I haven’t seen the answer to those questions.
fleischmann's yeast had 2 kinds regular and quick rise. What is better?

3kg sugar,
1 tsp citric acid,
680 g cornflakes,
Brought up to 20ltrs
2 tsp yeast energizer
1 one a day
1 Vitamin B complex
6 Ryvita light rye
½ cup fleischmann's yeast (Regular)

I was also debating on throwing in some corn meal. Any Ideas on this?
Thanks for your patients
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Invert Sugar

It's also been discussed here in the forums and I have posted several methods of inverting sugar...
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

I finally got around to doing this

5kg cornflakes
40kg sugar
200litre fermentor (50 gal)

crush cornflakes until they are dust *great stress relief* (I used a rolling pin while they were in the bag to save mess)
boil cornflakes in a pot with some water til they hit boiling temps, then add to fermentor)
add and stir sugar in
fill with water to desired level of fermentor
add yeast once temps are about 20*c (68f)
wait it out

Mine took 2 weeks to ferment
I have just finished stripping runs ang got about 165litres out of the fermentor (the rest is cornflakes and yeast)
I have started the spirit run but due to beeing busy can only do about 5 hours a weekend for this (2 hours to heat up, 30 mins to reach equilibrium, 500ml an hour at 95.6%, you get the jist)

so far have just finished removing the heads, and transitioning into hearts, taste is definatly got something there.
I have never had a true white dog corn moonshine, so nothing to compare to, but I like it thats for sure
I also found unlike Birdwatchers, I didnt have to adjust PH, but that might not be your case :)

Good job odin, I have some manuka chips I have been wanting to try out for a wee while, I'l tell you hou they went
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

5kg flakes with 40kg of sugar seems a bit light on flakes. How much total wash in that 200l fermenter?
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

5g wash gurgling like an old coffee pot in the "dad's" closet. But looking at a different layout, what do you all see as a "best" (not considering special yeast) room/environmental temp for fermentation. I googled and read, read, read, but saying it isn't conclusive would be..... gentle. My closet stays about 74-78, but I've got a basement room unused that sits about 65 year round, is that waaay to cold? I've seen everything from 70-90 (F, sorry metric people). Just texted wife to pick up some more c'flakes, got another bucket yesterday. Really looking forward to doing a couple generations with this and see where it goes. Yes, moderators, this a partially off topic, you can cane me later. Staying on subject isn't my strong point. And would tossing feints in with G2 be appropriate? Or would I get more flavor saving a few generations feints for a spirit run? Not so interested in neutral. (just a general range of what you've seen work)

edit: and for those doing this for the first time, and going "small batch", don't over do simmer water to make stirring easier. Should have been done in an hour or less, but I over added water to initial simmer and it took time and much labor to cool to yeast pitch temp. Yes, more experienced, I realize it's a basic D-A mistake, but I own it, and it's mine. Next time I'll stir more so I can go to bed at a normal hour.
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Kroger brand frosted flakes come in a 790g bag. I don't think it's a coincidence. :ebiggrin:
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

200 litre fermentor i usually filled to 190L
I was trying it out before I sink about $40 into buying 10kgs of corn flakes....

anyway, If I were to try a second generation of this, do I need to add more cornflakes and yeast, or is it good to go with more sugar like UJSSM?
(theres 35kg of "sludge" at the bottom be a shame to waste it)
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I don't think anyone has used the trub for second generations.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

planethax wrote:I don't think anyone has used the trub for second generations.
I have with all bran. Which is pretty much the same thing but wheaty.

I didn't remove anything. And just added more cereal. Maybe just a little less then the original . I've done it for 3 generations.

If you wanted to go more generations. I would just scoop some of the trub out.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Prairiepiss wrote:
I have with all bran. Which is pretty much the same thing but wheaty.

I didn't remove anything. And just added more cereal. Maybe just a little less then the original . I've done it for 3 generations.

If you wanted to go more generations. I would just scoop some of the trub out.
Thank you sir will do :)

I have too much stuff to catch up on, but it's worth it
Tokoroa_Shiner
Distiller

Post by Tokoroa_Shiner »

I now have 60L of this bubbling away now. Makes the garage smell good ( although the wife doesn't think so)

Thanks for this Odin
Must read topics for new members

The Rules By Which We Live By
Safety And Related Issues
New Distillers Reading Lounge

Have Fun, Keep Safe and Shine On
Ayay
Distiller

Post by Ayay »

I have done this using backset and trub; second generation is awesome but third did not work due to ph I think.

Now I do the first generation in order to get the second. Then do the first again.
cornflakes...stripped and refluxed
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

started second gen today

Put some of this stuff on oak with a vanilla bean

After the first day it already has an amazing smell and colour, can't wait
Boozy25
Novice

Post by Boozy25 »

Hi everyone,

I was thinking to try this recipe and was wondering what the advantage of inverting the sugar is? I notice some people have done this and some haven't. Also when doing this do you give the sugar a good hard boil or just have the water warm enough to dissolve the sugar?

Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have been distilling for a little while with just sugar washes but would like to give this one a go.

Boozy25
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I used to boil the flakes and sugar to a mush as well, but my 13g pot is a bit small for 5kg of flakes and 16kg of sugar.
Not I just use hot backset to dissolve sugar in fermentor and just boil flakes.

I have not noticed a difference though that doesn't mean there isn't one I am missing.
pounsfos
Distiller

Post by pounsfos »

Boozy25 wrote:Hi everyone,

I was thinking to try this recipe and was wondering what the advantage of inverting the sugar is? I notice some people have done this and some haven't. Also when doing this do you give the sugar a good hard boil or just have the water warm enough to dissolve the sugar?

Any help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I have been distilling for a little while with just sugar washes but would like to give this one a go.

Boozy25
Inverting the sugar breaks the sugar chains down to more simpler sugar, which in theory should make it ferment faster.....
http://homedistiller.org/sugar/wash-sugar/invert" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

and having the water hot enough should do the job, if not give it a good stir
iwine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by iwine »

I’m losing my virginity. This is my first run.
Sorry if I get my terminology wrong. I’m switching from the wine side.
What I have apartment size 20 liter pot, 6 liter thumper, 3 ½ Liebig, for a stove top
As I type I’m running my sacrificial run. 250 mil ½ hour.
I’m just racking my corn flake wash. 18 Liter. I want to run it tonight.
I got about 11 liters of clear wash and I have 7 liters at the bottom. I have tried to strain with coffee filter doesn’t work it just plugs up. I tried a tea towel on a strainer, that didn’t work It plugs up.
It looks like I’m going to lose 35% of my wash roughly. The 7 liters is about as thick as thin pudding.
I want to run it tonight.
Can I put all of the wash in my pot?
I’m afraid to burn it and I don’t want to burn it.
I thought I could thin out some of it and put it in my thumper. But that’s only 2 to 3 liters max.

Any Ideas?

Or use some in the thumper and use the rest for a start on second gen
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

I feel ya.
I've tried to separate but end up with a mess.

I just came in from doing this.

A wash from 100L water 5kg flakes and 16kg sugar(total wash was 110L

Ended up with 76L clear leaving 34L in fermenter.

Kinda sux
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

How's about putting the trub through a juicing machine? In my head that would give a nice few litres of reclaimed wash and some dryish cornflake pulp. I suspect in practice it'll just break the juicer...

I too lost almost 20% of my wash to the trub porridge.

Anyone got a juicing machine that they don't mind breaking in the name of science?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Matt86
Novice

Post by Matt86 »

I have done three generations using approx 20% backset on the yeast/cornflake cake with good success.
Each generation tasted better than the next but some/most of that may well have been due to my learning curve.

One trick I used was using the cornflakes whole and unmolested (heat) - they stay solid and allow near all the wash to be poured off to a settling bucket, no more concrete sludge to deal with.
They seemed to give out good flavour even after the third generation, still smelt good and corny.
Boosting the cornflake amount or adding extra each generation may be a good idea flavour wise.
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Matt86 wrote:
I have done three generations using approx 20% backset on the yeast/cornflake cake with good success.
Each generation tasted better than the next but some/most of that may well have been due to my learning curve.....e.
You say backset but we are talking Trub.
Did you mean trub? or did I read wrong.
If you mean trub, what % do you remove and what % do you re add?
I do use 25% backset already for new wash'
Last edited by planethax on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

Matt86 wrote: One trick I used was using the cornflakes whole and unmolested (heat) - they stay solid and allow near all the wash to be poured off to a settling bucket, no more concrete sludge to deal with.
They seemed to give out good flavour even after the third generation, still smelt good and corny.
Boosting the cornflake amount or adding extra each generation may be a good idea flavour wise.
So backset and trub?

I will try my next with whole flakes and see if I can get more wash.
Matt86
Novice

Post by Matt86 »

planethax wrote:
Matt86 wrote: One trick I used was using the cornflakes whole and unmolested (heat) - they stay solid and allow near all the wash to be poured off to a settling bucket, no more concrete sludge to deal with.
So backset and trub?

I will try my next with whole flakes and see if I can get more wash.
Backset with the next batches sugar dissolved, boiled then cooled added with water to the yeast cake and the cornflakes at the bottom of the fermenter - I just wouldn't call that trub :lol: .
It will be interesting if different cornflake brands maintain their structure.
planethax
Rumrunner

Post by planethax »

So did you remove any trub? and add more CF?
If so, how much of each?