Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Spankey
Bootlegger

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Spankey »

Wow the cornflakes have already started the fall down out of suspension but still sounds like a warm glass of soda. All this little bubbles popping. If it follows the last ferment for t will be done on sunday should give me a total of 3 gal lowines. Now my question. I want to mix fresh wash with the lowines for spirit run. My lowines are at 40%. So how much do I add to the lowines. My still charge is 4 gal. So do I add 1 gal wash to 3 gal lowines or 2 gal each. I do know I need to run it slow.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

I do all the low wines then top it up with wash.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Why do you want to mix in the fresh wash? for flavour or just to fill up the still?

I'd use all lowwines and half a gallon of wash, no need to dilute it more than that.
With a 35% charge I get a good keep ABV at around 60-62% ABV, your still/ cuts may vary.
Don't be a dick
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Yes for flavor. I am afraid of loosing some of the corny taste that I am striving so hard to put into it. And thanks for the quick response.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I do a 1.5 approach. One stripping run. Low wines back into the boiler. Top off with fresh wash. For maximum taste transfer.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Thanks odin that's the info I wanted. The 1.5 distillation method.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Another vote for 1.5. Actually mine is more like 1.75, but same idea.
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Did my first spirit run yesterday. I took out 400 ml foreshots. Then I took 4 jars of 250 ml each then 4 jars at full pint. Then 10 more jars of about 250 ml. Stopped collecting in jars at 40% collected in jug till 10% for a little bit of lowines. Is that a good amount for 2 and 3/4 gal of lowines topped to 4 gal with fresh wash? Oh ya I ran it fast drip it took 8 hours but damn it was fun watching those jars fill.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I'd keep everything in 250ml jar for now, easier for cuts.
Also I run a fair bit quicker about 5-7 min to fill up 250ml jar.
Don't be a dick
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Was scared I was gonna run out of jars is why did the 4 jars at full pints. I just bought 12 more jars just in case
Spankey
Bootlegger

Post by Spankey »

Blended today ended up with 3/4 gal of 70% have to wait till the first to order my wood. It's very tasty.
Patching246
Swill Maker

Post by Patching246 »

Just doing my first run of this at the moment. I'm using a detuned boka. Just wondering if a double distill is really necessary if I'm not using a pot still? Apologies if the answer is already contained in the thread - but I haven't seen it.
John 2:1-11. Jesus saith unto them, 'Fill the waterpots with water, some sugar & tomato paste'. And they filled them up to the brim and Jesus transformed them into low wines and this manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Patching246 wrote:Just doing my first run of this at the moment. I'm using a detuned boka. Just wondering if a double distill is really necessary if I'm not using a pot still? Apologies if the answer is already contained in the thread - but I haven't seen it.
It's a matter of personal taste, really.

The majority of people who do stripping and spirit runs keep doing it, so there's something to be said for that.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Patching246 wrote:Just doing my first run of this at the moment. I'm using a detuned boka. Just wondering if a double distill is really necessary if I'm not using a pot still? Apologies if the answer is already contained in the thread - but I haven't seen it.
Do one stripping run, combine with fresh low wines and then a finising run. Distiling 1.5. Detuned boka as in needle valve wide open? No need to take packing out with the 1.5 approach.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Patching246
Swill Maker

Post by Patching246 »

Thanks guys. Just cooking the next batch now. Also, could someone point me to some essential reading for making whiskey cuts. This is my first time away from the neutrals and just from sipping some of my first run, I can see that the cuts are going to be very different as much of the flavour came over towards the tails.
John 2:1-11. Jesus saith unto them, 'Fill the waterpots with water, some sugar & tomato paste'. And they filled them up to the brim and Jesus transformed them into low wines and this manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

you do it the same way as neutral, only you include the flavored tails as well, as long as they taste good.
I collect in 250ml jars, you may have to use bigger or smaller depending on the size of your spirit run
Don't be a dick
Patching246
Swill Maker

Post by Patching246 »

Thank you. And one last question. Using distilling 1.5 (which is a new concept to me) am I still able to use some of the backset from the first batch to create the second batch... Or should it be entirely fresh - and then I use the backset from the 1.5 batch for future batches?

Hope that makes sense.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

On distilling 1.5, you do a strip run first. Use part of the backset from the strip run to start up gen II.

Odin.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Ran a five gallon of cornflakes that I set for ten percent that I was gonna throw out a few months back...added two gallons of pure tails that were a mix of uj- corn and oats and rum tails and honey shine tails at40% good stuff.glad I didn't trash it! Hearts started at 142proof down to 91 proof. Not exacly cornflakes per say,but mostly so....
Happy accident :D
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Patching246
Swill Maker

Post by Patching246 »

Odin wrote:On distilling 1.5, you do a strip run first. Use part of the backset from the strip run to start up gen II.

Odin.

Thanks Odin, but maybe I've not explained my question clearly. Because I ran 25 litres of low wines before even thinking about creating a second batch of wash, I now have the opportunity to add backset to the second wash (still in a state of Kellogg's), which will ultimately be blended with the strip run. So effectively I could turn my first generation whiskey into a second generation whiskey by using the backset from the 1 in the .5

Will that do any harm?
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

No, that'll be fine. You'll get part of the benefit that way.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Admittedly I have only read a third of this thread and all of the condensed thread from the t&t section. I haven't seen this adressed, so it may not even be an issue.

I have my 1st gen CF wash wrapping up in the fermenter now. Should be racking it to the boiler in 2-3 days.
I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with the corn flakes mucking up the siphon? Do I need to take any precautions to keep that from happening?

Also, I had planned on stripping two 6 gal batches down yo around 20%, then doing a spirit run with the low wines. But from what I have read this stuff is better in the first run.
So should I do 3 batches instead and keep a small hearts cut from each and do a spirit run from the feints? And if so, should I do the single distillation at stripping speeds or take my time for a bigger hearts cut?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Johnny6
Bootlegger

Post by Johnny6 »

Regarding mucking up the siphon.. I use a siphon / racking cane to rack cornflakes from my 5 gallon fermenters directly to my (small 2 gallon) boiler for distilling without any trouble. When the ferment is done, nearly all of the flakes have dropped to the bottom of the fermenter. If you're careful, and keep the end of the siphon from stirring things up, you won't be sucking up more than the occasional small flake. At the bottom, you have to decide how close you can get without stirring things up.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I run with internal elements and I like to distill a quite dirty wash. Not with grains in there, but certainly not clear. The direct heating in combination with more organic particles present creates a bit more taste that I think this recipe can use.

Regards, Odin.

PS: diluting with backset is fine too.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yes, was planning on using 2gal of backset per 6gal mash. Is that too much?

Also, do you think I should strip two runs then do a spirit run with low wines? Or should I strip 3 runs, keep the single distillation hearts, then do a spirit run with the feints?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

1/3 backset sounds a little high to me, but some people do use that much. I tend to hover at ~20%. Just make sure you check your ph.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote:Yes, was planning on using 2gal of backset per 6gal mash. Is that too much?

Also, do you think I should strip two runs then do a spirit run with low wines? Or should I strip 3 runs, keep the single distillation hearts, then do a spirit run with the feints?
If it is for a next gen ferment go 20%. If you want to dilute your low wines prior to a finishing run, aim for an abv of around 20%.

Regards, Odin.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Got it 1.2 gallons it is.

Should be running it tonight or tomorrow.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Also...
Had the wifey pick up a bag of frosted flakes at the store yesterday. Looks like it would add roughly a half pound of sugar per 18oz of cereal. So that would be an extra pound of sugar for those of you doubling the corn in the recipe.
This was the malt'o'meal brand in the bag.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

What kind of final gravity should I expect from successive generations of this recipe?