Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Matt86
Novice

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Post by Matt86 »

planethax wrote:So did you remove any trub? and add more CF?
If so, how much of each?
Added nothing and took away nothing for three generations.
Although my memory is fuzzy - it could have been three generations of cornflake backset with only two generations on the same cornflakes.
I do know that the cornflakes I chucked out still smelt and tasted like cornflakes, alcoholic cornflakes anyway.

EDIT: Just checked my brew book and I was wrong, only two generations on 1kg/20l cornflakes, it was third generation with backset.
segaskin
Novice

Post by segaskin »

Backset surprised me. Thought i wasn't fermenting, ran it after a few days. Apparently cut ferment time down. Way down. I thought it was stalled.
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

My 2nd attempt at a whiskey. My first attempt at all malted corn whiskey was awful. Im glad there's innovated people here (Odin) that overcome road blocks and make the path easier for rookies like me-especially for a rum geek trying to make whiskey. Being from Canada, i had to incorperate rye. Ill post my finding soon.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

freshwaterjellyfish wrote:My 2nd attempt at a whiskey. My first attempt at all malted corn whiskey was awful. Im glad there's innovated people here (Odin) that overcome road blocks and make the path easier for rookies like me-especially for a rum geek trying to make whiskey. Being from Canada, i had to incorperate rye. Ill post my finding soon.
I put a loaf of dark rye bread in a batch of corn flakes and my whiskey drinking friends love it! Give it a whirl.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Truth be told i used 500g of kellogs corn flakes and 500g of rye flakes. I used hightemp a-amylase on the rye flakes after i simmered them awhile. I used just over 7lbs of sugar for a five gal batch. I read enough to figure diff yeast works together- so i used 30g of rum yeast, and almost 20 g of ale yeast (part pkgs) I pitched it minutes ago.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Nice to see how you guys take an artistic approach on this recipee. Rye & corn ... Very nice.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
sirpj76
Novice

Post by sirpj76 »

Here is the recpie that I have been running for the last few years. I've aimed to make the procedure very labour-efficient.
for a 20L wash.

60g dried yeast
125 g (4 cups) of whole cornflakes (homebrand)
4kg sugar
juice of 3/4 of a lemon

I add the white sugar directly to the fermenter along with the cornflakes. I then 3/4 fill the fermenter with a hose, trying to make it as turbulant as possible in order to disolve most of the sugar. I add 1 litre of hot water, as our water supply is usually only 21C. I then top up the fermenter to 20L which usually results in a pitching temp of 26C. I then sprinke the dried yeast over the surface and gently stir in the top couple of cm's. I then put the lid on, and this ferments dry in 9-10 days.

I find that this distills to a very nice product with not-unplesant tails.

This was based on the All-bran recpie. Thanks to the author.
Sherak
Novice

Post by Sherak »

just started a batch of this, stuck to your recipe to the letter, this is my 3rd wash, first attempt at a whiskey. Figured I would try this before a single malt.

TY for the recipe and will update with my outcome, I use a pot still, quick question, what happens if you don't leave to clear before stilling or maybe end up with bit of the trub whilst separating? Is it a flavor thing?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

A bit of corn flakes may actually enhance taste. A bit of yeast may give over yeasty tastes as well. If you double distill that won't be a problem, though.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

I ran the corn/rye flakes just the other day. I was impressed with the outcome. The rye seems to add a spicy finish to a light tasting bourbon. I can see why your recipe is so popular.
I threw in a tablespoon of walnut oil(i had puking problems w a previous run of rum and have been paranoid since)..
The tails had a slight "nutty" flavour..
Ive started a second batch. Im going to use more corn flakes and a bit less rye flakes and use that delicious backset that smells like breakfast at a camping lodge. A third batch w no rye might be in order to see if the rye does the recipe justice. Ill toss the low wines of all thee batches together for a final run in the pot still.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

strange one here.

Made a half dozen 80l batches of cf, and all have turned out awesome run through the pot.
Same with the all bran.

Usual recipe is three 500g boxes of cornflakes or all bran thrown in whole.
Cant be bothered to cook or crush em and it always seems fine.
13 or 14 kg white sugar, and I top it up to 80l using the hot output water from the strip run ( no sense paying for 80l hot water twice eh? I ain't made of money despite what the kids think!)

I might add some fertilizer if I have any on hand, and I always throw a berocca or two in.

SG is usually 1.07 ish, aiming around the 10% ish mark.
Never forget the ish.
Science ain't an exact science you know!

This time, I changed it up a little.
Two boxes generic cornflakes, one box all bran, and I threw a half pack of ryvita crispbread in for fun.
Couldn't find my hydrometer at the time, so just trusted it to be in the usual range.

Pitched about a 125g can of bread yeast, and within half hour there was signs of life.
All seeming normal so far.

Got home from work today, and the Mrs had found my hydrometer.
In the cutlery drawer. Why didn't I think of that eh?

Just checked, and the reading is 1.09.
That can't be right surely?

Only thing different than usual is the rye bread which has completely disintegrated.
Surely 250g of rye can't raise the sg that much can it?

Its bubbling away like a good in, so I'm gonna let it do its thing, but has anyone else noticed spurious readings?

Just curious.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Maybe stalling issues due to low PH?

Odin.
whiskymonster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by whiskymonster »

i have had a ph issue which i have sorted with a little bicarb, but at the time of the last post the ferment was only a day in.

i have tried the exact same wash but without the ryvita, and the sg was 1.07 ish.

this time, with the ryvita the sg is much higher.

its nearly done now (1.010) and still bubbling, so i aint gonna sweat it.

just seemed kinda odd that a 1/2 lb rye would add so much to the sg.
It's much easier to cut a bit off than weld a bit on...
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

Newb here ... thanks so much for this recipe. It was my first run where I tasted a product that I was really excited about, and I've got another wash slowly fermenting in the basement. I'm planning to tweak it a little one of these times by adding some graham crackers. Just wanted to add my appreciation to Odin and encourage other newbs to give this one a try. So easy and so tasty. I've got some on oak, but I'm also loving the white dog.

BTW, I've been doing 1.5 distill. I ferment 5 gallons, load about 3-3.5 into my 4-gallon pot still, collect as a stripping run, then run all of that with the remaining 2 gallons (give or take) of wash. Gives a clean product with still tons of corny flavor coming through. Best of both worlds IMHO.
reckless kelly
Novice

Post by reckless kelly »

If you guys read back through these posts you will see I have been working on this for over 2 years.
I have to admit its only one of 2 I have done. WPOSW and this one.
Each attempt has made a decent product and some exceptional too.
My point is I keep trying different things and ways and this and that.
Odins idea of cornflakes is so simple it hurts.
And the second page of this forum where I came in to now have been a testament to that!

I believe it was still in the development page when I tried it first.
Glad its in the tried and true.

Kelly
Some times the people you meet are just shit salesmen.
They are easy to spot.
They all have a mouth full of samples!
Peabody304
Novice

Post by Peabody304 »

Can I use any backset in this?
I have some from an all grain malt whiskey that I stripped the other day. Would that work, too?
-peabody304
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Sure. Backset will add to the taste. Do take pH measurements and keep it above 3.5, preferably around 4.0. Bicarb can help you out if you want to.

Regards, Odin.
Peabody304
Novice

Post by Peabody304 »

Thanks for the reply, Odin.

Another question please. What temperature do you use to cook the corn flakes?

I've been through the thread a couple of times and I can't seem to find that.

I'm going to add about 30% rye flakes too. I'm not sure how much sugar I'll get out of the cereal; when I see what, if anything converted (I'll add some enzymes at some point), I'll decide how much sugar to use. But I'm going to target a specific gravity of about 1.075 or so.

peabody304
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

If you use sugar aim to get at but not above 8%. To prevent hot tastes coming over that many associate with sugar ferments.

I boil them ... well ... at the temperature that water boils over here: 100 degrees C!

;)

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Looks like good advice Odin. 8% is my number for pretty much everything too (1.060-1.065 SG target)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

New selfie, Jimbo?

:)

Odin.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Odin wrote:New selfie, Jimbo?

:)

Odin.
haha thats my dog, he's been trying to get it on with the cat, I told him them fake ears might just work on her, she's pretty dumb.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Peabody304
Novice

Post by Peabody304 »

Thanks to Odin for a very interesting recipe.

Here's what I did today.
12 gallons of water
3 18oz (510g) boxes Kellog's corn flakes (total of 1530g)
750g (1.65 lbs) rye flakes
12.5 lbs sugar

I "cooked" the cereal by heating 3 gallons of water to boiling, dumped the cereal and rye in and maintained at least 190F (87.770c)for about 40 minutes, give or take.
Let the mush cool to about 150F (65.5 c) and added some amylase enzyme and let it "mash" for 30 minutes (or so). I don't remember the brix reading I got, but I was happy the conversion.
I used 2 gallons (7.57 liters) of backset from an all-malt stripping run. And I dissolved the sugar in 2 gallons (7.57 liters) of water.

Put it all to my 60 liter fermenter; added water to bring it to a little over 12 gallons (45.42 liters). I was targeting 1.060 to 1.065 and hit 1.063. Added yeast nutrients and, what the heck, 10 tablets of beano. Then I hit it with some O2.

And this is where I had to make a last-minute adjustment. Planned on pitching 25 grams of Red Star distillers* yeast but only had 15g. So I through in a couple of packets of Safale US-05 I had laying around.

And now I wait.

Thanks again, Odin for the recipe and for answering my questions.

-peabody304
*edit: changed Red Star brewers to Red Star *distillers*
Last edited by Peabody304 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Odin.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Here's a nice little thread that can help to further improve anyone trying to make Cornflakes Whiskey (or any sugar head whiskey at that):

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 39&t=53278

What can we learn from it?
- Add backset to the next generation;
- Go for a low pH (4.0) for more esterification;
- Aeriate prior to starting up a new ferment, so the yeast can propagate and add organic compounds to the fermentation for even more esterification;
- Ferment at higher temps (28 to 34 degrees C) when using baker's yeast.

Esterification is the process where alcohols and carbon, in a sour environment, create esters. Esters are flavour molecules we can taste and smell. A more sour fermentation ups the esterification process. As does the higher temperature of fermentation.

Regards, Odin.
Phanatic
Novice

Post by Phanatic »

Thanks for the recipe Odin, doing a gen I stripping run. Thinking I should have gone for kellogs rather than homebrand - seems to be less corny taste than I'd like, though to be fair it is Gen I and I didn't cook the corn.
Would using cornflour (I have yeast with some enzymes for uncooked grain/flour mashes) instead of sugar boost the corn taste?
Phanatic
Novice

Post by Phanatic »

Am doing a couple of CF whiskeys.

CF whiskey

Brew 1
2.5 kg cornflour
1 kg wheat flour
1 kg flakes
50g chinese yeast+enzymes

1.067 temperature corrected, 20L total volume.

Brew 2
2 kg cornflour
.5 kg wheat flour
1.5kg maltexo (liquid malt extract)
1kg flakes
50g chinese yeast+enzyme

1.055@22.5l total volume, temperature corrected.

It's possible my SG readings are off - mash was really thick and flour kept settling at the bottom. Pitched around 35C 29/1/15.

Brew 1 SG today, roughly 24 hours later - ~1.020
Brew 2 SG today, roughly 24 hours later - ~1.002

Definitely one of the fastest ferments I've done, and the low wines from Gen I CF whiskey are tasting much better after a few days. Going to get a busted old 50L keg from work and fill it with cornflake bourbon, leave it alone (well....apart from a sneaky wee taste now and then) for 3 months and oak it.
YHB

Post by YHB »

Phanatic wrote: I didn't cook the corn........I have yeast with some enzymes for uncooked grain/flour mashes -)
Tell me more about this yeast / enzymes - what are they called, where are they from?
Phanatic
Novice

Post by Phanatic »

Just something on aliexpress, somebody else posted on NZ home distiller.....which I believe the author found on homedistiller.ru.

http://nzhomedistiller.org.nz/viewtopic.php?t=340

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 06235.html
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

What's with the Chinese yeast? :-D
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!