Cornflakes whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Cornflakes whiskey

Postby raspberry_cordial » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:46 pm

I just put on my second batch of this wash. Got a little distracted while the cornflakes/sugar/water were simmering....it's smelling and looking a little caramelised. Could be interesting.
raspberry_cordial
Novice

Postby Still Life » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:20 am

raspberry_cordial wrote:I just put on my second batch of this wash. Got a little distracted while the cornflakes/sugar/water were simmering....it's smelling and looking a little caramelised. Could be interesting.

You didn't boil it dry or scorch it I hope.
If burnt, dump it. You won't get blood from that turnip (a Midwestern saying).

Stay focused. You wouldn't let Grandma's Special Thanksgiving Recipe go awry when company's coming over.
Don't do it with your wash!
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby markieb » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:29 pm

CanadaRun wrote:Got this in our 1bedroom so my gf isn't too happy, says the smell reminds her of high school biology class haha but she's a good one and let's me get away with it :D as long as I make her some rum she says.

try and get a olive drum its "space saving" lol my mrs went for it an ive now got 110ltrs of cf fermenting away in a 220ltr barrell in doors :lol: and it only takes the same floor space as 2 x 25ltr fermenting bins.i was going to do a full 220ltr run but figured the backset generation is important so go for 110 then maybe try 220 next batch.just tell her your thinking of getting another 25l;tr barrell then suggest 1 big barrell later as a comprimise
markieb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby raspberry_cordial » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:06 am

No, Stilllife, no scorching. :) Thank you for watching out for my newbie mistakes though. The cooked mixture had simmered long enough to become an amber color rather than just cornflake yellow, and it smelled pleasantly caramelised.
raspberry_cordial
Novice

Postby thecontrolguy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:04 am

raspberry_cordial wrote:No, Stilllife, no scorching. :) Thank you for watching out for my newbie mistakes though. The cooked mixture had simmered long enough to become an amber color rather than just cornflake yellow, and it smelled pleasantly caramelised.

This has been my experience as well. Without adding any molasses, and using only corn or bran flakes (and sugar and lemon juice) and simmering the lot for 30 mins, then blending completely with an immersion blender, it always ends up dark-amber and thicker than water / sugar mix. Once done there is no sign of flakes anywhere. Once in the pails, it ferments nicely and settles out thoroughly in a 2-week window. It usually completes in 4 -5 days and the rest of the time to clarify in my basement. There is never any sign of burn or scorching in the pot.
Sooner or later we all sit down to a banquet of consequences.
- Robert Louis Stevenson
thecontrolguy
Novice

Postby raspberry_cordial » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:03 pm

I was just going to mention the rapid ferment time! I started this batch Nov. 2nd, looks to be finished dry by Nov.7.
raspberry_cordial
Novice

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes