Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Re: Buccaneer Bob's Silver, Gold, and Black Rum Recipe

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Hey Sugar Daddy, thanks for the info.

Yeah, the piloncillo I've found has a nice molasses taste and a somewhat "waxy" texture. What I mean is that, when you bite down into a chunk, it yields to the teeth, rather than crunching.

And I guess that's kindof the trick to it: you can't really crush it up and serve it by-the-teaspoon; you have to break off a chunk and melt it into whatever you're using it in.

The good thing is: it should be a pretty simple deal to melt a few kilos in boiling water and make some rum with it.
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

I was set in my ways as far as rum goes and this thread changed my methods. Should be in the T&T.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
LukeDuke
Novice

Post by LukeDuke »

heartcut wrote:I was set in my ways as far as rum goes and this thread changed my methods. Should be in the T&T.
Second that!
~ LukeDuke
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Done. Nice work Buccaneer Bob!
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Congratulations Buccaneer Bob! :clap: :clap: :clap:
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
LukeDuke
Novice

Post by LukeDuke »

:)
~ LukeDuke
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Very Nice.....Congrat's! :clap:
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I've only done hookrum, but I'll be having a look over this when I get a chance. Not a rum guy, but like making a bit of everything. Love to learn all methods!

Congrats on getting this in T&T!
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Awesome bob congrats mate, well deserved :D
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Wow, guys, thanks so much! Everybody! I couldn't have done it without y'all. Image
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Its about time. Congratulations Bob this recipe is a winner :clap:

AC
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Congrats, Buccaneer Bob! So nice to see this great post make it into T&T. :clap: I've been wanting to try my hand at a rum, and I can think of no better way to pay tribute than to start up a batch of Buccaneer tonight! :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Thank you, Bob, day 5:
rum.jpg
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Hey, MichiganCornhusker, sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I'm subscribed to this thread, and usually I get an email telling me when somebody's posted to it, but for some reason I didn't get the last couple notices.

Anyway, thanks so much for giving it a try, and your rum wash is definitely looking good. Keep me posted and let me know how it works out. :thumbup:
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You shooting for the "Largest Gieser" award Cornhusker? Where's your headspace man? If thats your primary there's no way that baby didnt blow your airlock, please post a picy, could use a good chuckle. ;-) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... geiser.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Jimbo wrote:You shooting for the "Largest Gieser" award Cornhusker?
Ha, no, been there done that. I racked out of primary into carboy on day 5, after all sugars had been added and had a chance to settle down. Still fermenting along nicely. :D
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Sounds good, MichiganCornhusker. Yeah, as Jimbo pointed out, rum fermentations can be pretty vigorous, but it sounds like you've got it under control. :wink:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Buccaneer Bob wrote:Sounds good, MichiganCornhusker. Yeah, as Jimbo pointed out, rum fermentations can be pretty vigorous, but it sounds like you've got it under control. :wink:
Ya never know, I thought I had a raspberry stout ferment under control once, but that clogged my blow off tube and sprayed all over the walls and carpet. That was a sad day.
But, the rum just keeps churning along, very satisfying to watch:
Day 7
day 7.jpg
02keilj
Novice

Post by 02keilj »

Bob,

Excellent write up. Everyones responces to this have convinced me that this is the recipe I will be using.

My problem is that this is the very first batch of anything I will have done so I have no dunder or yeast trub.

I saw your post before about just boiling some yeast and water for the trub but what about for the dunder? Any suggestions?

Again, thanks for such a good write up.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

02keilj wrote:Bob,

Excellent write up. Everyones responces to this have convinced me that this is the recipe I will be using.

My problem is that this is the very first batch of anything I will have done so I have no dunder or yeast trub.

I saw your post before about just boiling some yeast and water for the trub but what about for the dunder? Any suggestions?

First off, thanks, and welcome aboard, 02keilj. When you get a chance, pop over to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself.

Second, if you had some whiskey backset or some other reasonable backset, you could start with that as your dunder and perhaps toss in a few liters/quarts of molasses to get yourself a starting point on your dunder pit.

But if you don't have any reasonable backset to start with, you'll just have to skip the dunder until you can get things rolling.
02keilj
Novice

Post by 02keilj »

Buccaneer Bob wrote:
02keilj wrote:Bob,

First off, thanks, and welcome aboard, 02keilj. When you get a chance, pop over to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself.

Second, if you had some whiskey backset or some other reasonable backset, you could start with that as your dunder and perhaps toss in a few liters/quarts of molasses to get yourself a starting point on your dunder pit.

But if you don't have any reasonable backset to start with, you'll just have to skip the dunder until you can get things rolling.
Thanks for the welcome :)

This will be the first run of anything so I am starting with nothing. I guess i'll just have to do without it for the first run.

Thanks for the reply.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Does clarifying the molasses have anything to do with the flavour ?
I have just finished the new still and got a 5 gallon bucket of black strap for 19$
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Ok, I am officially a stunned believer!!! One month after starting, I just stripped my first batch of BuckBob and I have never seen anything like it. I have TEN Fifths of 86 proof rum, and I don't know if I can be talked into running it again.
I ran it all hard and fast as a stripping run into a big pot until it started to drop below 20%. Threw out half pint of fores, everything else went into the pot. It smells and tastes amazing. No taste of heads or tails in it, right off the still with no airing. And this was the first batch, made without any dunder. I couldn't stop tasting it each time I strained it into a quart jar. The flavors are amazing. Starting my next batch with some of the backset from the first, and putting away the rest to start a dunder bucket. Will try making some of the gold and black versions asap. Thank you, Bob, for this awesome recipe and writeup! :thumbup: :D
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Robert, I am really thinking that if this many people are praising the quality of your rum, perhaps you should round up some investors and get to work. Know your zoning laws and industrial requirements etc. If you are producing in a country where the currency is also of a lesser value than USD then you have an advantageous foot in the door too.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

dan_buddy: I believe the clarification helps the flavor of blackstrap a little bit, not a lot, but a little bit.

When you go through the clarification process, you will notice some gold-colored sludge that will settle to the bottom of your bucket. I believe that stuff is the "ash" that you see listed as a component of blackstrap molasses.

So if you taste that sludge, you will notice that it is quite bitter. And removing that stuff results in a sweeter wash and seems to result in a better tasting rum, by my tastebuds, anyway.

MichiganCornhusker: Thanks so much. I'm really tickled to hear you're liking it. :D

Yeah, you really get a nice feeling of accomplishment sitting there looking at all that rum when you get done, huh? :thumbup:

MDH: It's funny you should mention that.

Awhile back I posted this about a guy who approached me about my rum and also about the prospect of me developing a line of craft beer for him.

I was ready-to-roll with the rum, but developing beer-quality malts and then a line of beer recipes using those homemade malts -- here in our Third World country -- has really been a ginormous, epic project.

Fortunately, I have really been rocking the craft beer, if I do say so myself.

I wasn't sure when I first got started that I could even make beer-quality malt, but it's been going really well, and I am surprised and pleased at how well everything has been coming together, beer-wise.

So anyway, I have been talking with this guy, and up to this point, it has all just been a lot of talk.

But supposedly in mid-December, this guy is going to be receiving a grant from the government to develop his business and move beyond his current distilling production into distilling rum and brewing craft beer, as well.

So that is when the rubber should hit the road, and I will find out if this guy just likes to talk, or if he is really serious about making rum and craft beer.

His brother is in the government, and he really seems well connected, but who knows, right?

Either way, though, I am not too worried about it. If things don't work out with him, I am already developing plans to move forward on my own.

Investors would be great, but I can actually start small brewing craft beer professionally, here where I am, and then either build up the craft beer side of things or, better yet, shift into making rum, professionally, later on down the line.
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

I am torn between this and Pintoshine's to run as my first ever go. Quite possibly I may run both in tandem and see what results I get. Each lot will be starting off in a 25 litre tub and end up in a 20 L alembic, so probably each will need to be just a 15 liter batch to avoid puking etc. I could possibly even use the setback / dunder from one to start the other, if I stagger my runs....

Either way, there be rum in time for the festive season :D 8)
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Fidget wrote: I may run both
Yes to both! I'm definitely more of an "and" guy rather than "or".
Given a choice, it's almost always better to avoid the choice and do both.
I can only vouch for Bob's recipe, good luck with your holiday rums. :D
Buccaneer Bob
Rumrunner

Post by Buccaneer Bob »

Fidget: I agree with MichiganCornhusker, do both. That way, you can use the dunder from one to start your dunder pit for the other recipe. :wink:

And yeah, rum totally comes in handy during the holidays, like in my favorite fruit cake recipe.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Rum Fruit Cake

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle rum
2 cups dried fruit

Sample the rum to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the rum again to be sure it is of the highest quality. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the rum is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the rum. Now shift the lemon ice strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 s and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the rum and wipe the counter with the cat.

I just love the holidays. :lol:
LukeDuke
Novice

Post by LukeDuke »

Buccaneer Bob wrote:Fidget: I agree with MichiganCornhusker, do both. That way, you can use the dunder from one to start your dunder pit for the other recipe. :wink:

And yeah, rum totally comes in handy during the holidays, like in my favorite fruit cake recipe.

Rum Fruit Cake

1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup water
1 tsp. salt
1 cup brown sugar
Lemon juice
4 large eggs
Nuts
1 bottle rum
2 cups dried fruit

Sample the rum to check quality. Take a large bowl; check the rum again to be sure it is of the highest quality. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point, it is best to make sure the rum is still OK. Try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 eegs and add to the bowl and chuck iin the cup of dried fruit. Pick the fruit up off the floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit getas stuck in the beaterers, just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the rum to test for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt, or something. Check the rum. Now shift the lemon ice strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 s and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window. Finish the rum and wipe the counter with the cat.

I just love the holidays. :lol:
:D Lmao
~ LukeDuke