Jimbo's easy 1/2barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Re: Jimbo's easy 1/2barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

Post by CR33G3R »

Well I got my start on this recipe. The corn is in a cooler now cooking away as I type.

On the down side I knocked over my test cylinder for my hydrometers... that's #3
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

My first AG is in the fermenter now as I type. All seems well as of now, I should be able to tell more by tomorrow morn.
Thanks Jimbo.
I'll do a better write up of this in "My First" when I have more time.
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

Jimbo, what's your thoughts on safbrew wb-06 yeast? I ran out of my us-05 and had 2 of these packets. I pitched them and I swear the ferment smells like some sort of candy!
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Thats a wheat beer yeast. Wheat beer yeasts make lots of clove and banana esters. The warmer you ferment it, up to 78, it will throw more of those flavors. I ferment my hefeweizen beers at 78, 10 degrees hotter than normal for all other ales, for that reason.

I havent tried a wheat beer yeast in a whiskey yet, but I have distilled hefeweizen beer (with the little bit of hops in that style beer) and it made a real nice spirit.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
DukeBoxer
Bootlegger

Post by DukeBoxer »

hmm...I might have to do a whole batch with this yeast soon. If I do I'll report back. Thanks for the notes...I knew you'd have some good info!
Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

I have done this recipe twice now and it has turned out nice but I do have a couple of questions...

The mash bill I followed is based upon the revision notes I saw that stated you are now running with 3lbs of grain per gallon and is as follows...
25lbs cracked corn
8lbs Milled Wheat Malt
4lbs Milled 6-Row

1. I never get a full starch conversion according to an iodine test. The first time I used the BAP's built-in thermometer and I assumed that it was inaccurate and my temps were off causing this. The 2nd time I had a lab grade digital and still no full conversion.

2. Is it normal to get a large amount of what looks like corn sediment (I am talking the bottom 1/4th+ of my carboy) even a few days after the initial squeeze through a mesh bag? I am racking off the clear wash from the top but it seems like I am wasting a lot of my wash.

3. Why do we need to wash the corn in warm water? It seems this would cause the loss of convertible starch and it also seems it would encourage the growth of undesirable bugs.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Bourbon_Greg wrote:I have done this recipe twice now and it has turned out nice but I do have a couple of questions...

The mash bill I followed is based upon the revision notes I saw that stated you are now running with 3lbs of grain per gallon and is as follows...
25lbs cracked corn
8lbs Milled Wheat Malt
4lbs Milled 6-Row

1. I never get a full starch conversion according to an iodine test. The first time I used the BAP's built-in thermometer and I assumed that it was inaccurate and my temps were off causing this. The 2nd time I had a lab grade digital and still no full conversion. You wont get full starch conversion with cracked corn, the solids are too thick and the enzymes cant reach inside the kernal. This is why it takes 3 lbs total grain for cracked corn, and 2 lbs total will do the same with corn meal which is ground much finer. Dont worry about iodine tests unless you can get a clean sample with no solids, and even then it doesnt reflect the starches locked in the solids.

2. Is it normal to get a large amount of what looks like corn sediment (I am talking the bottom 1/4th+ of my carboy) even a few days after the initial squeeze through a mesh bag? I am racking off the clear wash from the top but it seems like I am wasting a lot of my wash.Yes, Thats yeast and other solids that make it through the mesh. With some grains like oats and rye it will be slimy too. The longer it sits the denser it packs down. Some of that in the boiler wont hurt anything typically, just like squeezing and running the same day. Works fine typically but you got to be more careful to avoid scorching, like dont let it sit in your pot and settle (if over fire) or dont get too much of the rye/oats type slime in there on an electric element.

3. Why do we need to wash the corn in warm water? It seems this would cause the loss of convertible starch and it also seems it would encourage the growth of undesirable bugs.
Couple reasons, feed grade cracked corn is filthy dirty, the rinse water will come off brown. And also some feed grade cracked corn has anti fungals that will inhibit fermentation. You dont lose much efficiency, just from whatever little powder is in there that washes away. Best solution is to use clean food grade corn meal, and no washing needed.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

This is how I do this recipe now, 50 lbs corn meal, 28 gallons boiling water with gypsum, Seb HIgh Temp Enzymes, drill clamped and on constant for 1.5 hours, really seems to break down the corn meal fast. 1.5 hours and I can drop temp with more water and a wort chiller, and mash in with the malt, today Im using pilsner malt and red wheat malt.

Cheers,

Jimbo
IMG_20151011_54249.jpg
IMG_20151011_6753.jpg
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

I finally decided to give this a go. My first AG.
Started late last night. Woke up and missed the 146 degree mark by -5 (141), went about 6 -6.5 hours. Carried on with the rest of the instructions as written. Currently cooling down to the pitch temp, using the Safale US-05 there.

Did a little testing and not sure what to believe.
Iodine on solids appeared dark.
I let the mash rest a bit and the top inch or so cleared some so I scoped a bit of liquid into a Dixie cup and dropped in some iodine. Did not change color in the slightest.
Was able to get some of that "cleared" into a test jar and got 1.050, unadjusted for the 100F it currently is. I know that's probably skewed a bit but...am I on the right track or do I need to shot the horse???
you can lead a horse to water but it's hard as hell to drown it
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Carry on Haus. That mash temp is pretty important, but it is what it is now. What type of corn did you use?
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

96F right now. I used PP cracked corn (rinsed) but spent some time further processing it more with a grinder, about 6 to 8 bits per kernel.
Edit: to clarify that bit part. The biggest pieces now are the size of the smallest bits out of the bag. If that makes any sense at all. :wtf:
Last edited by Haus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Jimbo wrote:
IMG_20151011_6753.jpg
Are you making whiskey in your robe and slippers? :lol:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

Any solids in your iodine test will test positive for starch. I am no where the AG pro that Jimbo is but I do know that.
Carry on..
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Looks ok to me haus. I get similar results with iodine and corn, clear juice shows good conversion, solids can show starch.
You might have gotten at more of the starches with higher temps, but better to be on the low end than too hot for the mash. Nothing wrong with 1.05 Especially for a first try.
As the fellas say, carry on, let the horse run free, gonna be good.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
IMG_20151011_6753.jpg
lol, I have to do some things after the wifey goes to bed and can't stop me, like a giant barrel in the kitchen that can't be moved.

Waiting for the hammer to fall anytime now.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
IMG_20151011_6753.jpg
Thems my Blackhawks flannel PJ's. Which I might wear all day iffin I dont have to go out.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Well it looks like the Yeastie Boys are winning their right to party. Bubbling away. It's the small victories that make me happy. :D
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Looking good, on the 2nd quart and holding rock solid at 70% using the thumper. The taste is amazing, night and day difference between AG and sugar head.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Gave this another go with different results. :(
I decided to try a malt barley/malt wheat on this one. I used rye and barley on the first attempt.
Didn't get good conversion, 1.020 this go around.
The only thing I did different besides the rye/wheat change was the way I heated the water.
First go around I heated on the stove, first 6 gal went in the bucket on the corn to start. That "cooked" away while the second 6 gal heated up and then added.
This time I heated all 12 gal in the keg and added all at once.
Really doesn't make any sense to me. Unless that extra hour between does do something.
Didn't want to waste it, and I'll probably get yelled at, I went ahead and added dissolved sugar to get to 1.050. Didn't want to but live and learn I suppose.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Not being one to accept failure, I went for it again.
One change to the previous attempt, I spent the time to run the cracked corn thru a coffee grinder, slow but it worked fine.
End up with a fine mix of small piece and flour.
Put the fan on it and for giggles took a measurement, SG @ 125 degrees is 1.040.
Not trusting, rather believing, my math for correction, 1.051, took the test jar over to the sink and ran cool water over it down to 60 degrees, indications are at pitch time 1.050 +/-.
Time will tell there.
But I think I found what works for me :D and what went wrong the last time.

Edit: SG 1.060 @70
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Well, not sure what to think.
Distilate is coming off with goldish tint.
Doesn't taste bad/off and no off smell.
Running it pretty hard as am stripping.
Thoughts?

Ran it last weekend, all was fine, crystal clear.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Haus6565 wrote:Thoughts?
Puke.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Can 8gal in 15.5 boiler do that? Seems like plenty of space.
I'll slow it down a bit or am I done, pitch it?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Haus6565 wrote:Can 8gal in 15.5 boiler do that? Seems like plenty of space.
I'll slow it down a bit or am I done, pitch it?
Yes. I run a 20ish gallon pot, and when the boil begins, it can easily fill up and overflow. I watch for it.
Low heat will help, but there is something about that beginning of the boil that makes the froth come up.
If a stripping run, no worries, will clean up with a spirit run.
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Seems like I remember someone mentioning putting a couple tbls of cooking/olive oil in to control that. That sound right?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Haus6565 wrote:Seems like I remember someone mentioning putting a couple tbls of cooking/olive oil in to control that. That sound right?
Probably works, but I never do that. Only foams up like that at the break of the boil for me. I watch for it, then stir and turn heat way down. When foam drops, no problems after that.
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jimbo's easy 1/2barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

Post by raketemensch »

A couple of pats of butter will apparently knock it down. Bonus points if it's corn-based.

Tried it myself this morning, since I was starting up at 5500 watts, but of course you never know if you actually prevented something...
Haus
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Haus »

Oddly, that stuff is crystal clear this morning. :wtf:

I wasn't "tasting" at all during the run...curiouser and curiouser
Bourbon_Greg
Novice

Post by Bourbon_Greg »

Jimbo wrote:I was chattin with Woodshed on here the other day about efficiencies and it got me playing with the calculator some. Here's how the numbers work out, and hopefully some calculations you can use to your own batches of hooch, AG or sugarheads. Turns out my efficiency, yield to 'typical' ppg numbers from Palmers chart is 54%. I 'keep' 54% after cuts of the 85% efficiency number of the grains I use.

PPG is points per pound per gallon. For example 2 row barley 'typical (85%) PPG is 31. So 1 pound in 1 gallon of water will make 1.031 SG

Some other PPG's (typical yield) we use around here. Sugar 46, Wheat 30, Corn 33. http://homedistiller.org/grain/yield/typical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

This bourbon recipe works out like this then....

17 lbs corn x 33 = 561
3 lbs 2 row x 31 = 93
5 lbs wheat x 30 = 150
---------------------------------
Total points = 804

If you ferment out to 1.000 it takes 773 points to make a proof gallon. (From the alc calculator at the parent site.)

My 'keeper yield' from these 804 points of grain was 4 quarts at 56%. So the math looks like this....

804/773 = 1.04 proof gallon. 1.04/0.56 (my keep proof) = 1.86 gllons. But I only got 1 gallon. So, 1/1.86 = 54%

Cheers.
You have lost me here. Isn't a "proof gallon" a gallon of 50% ABV? If so, 4 qts at 56% is 1.12 Proof Gallons and this did not include the cuts.

I am trying to build a spreadsheet to calculate the expected SG and expected total proof gallons. i figured out the expected SG part I think....
(Total PPG / total water / 1000) + 1 = SG

Not clear on how to calculate the expected proof gallons
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

You are correct BG, a 'proof gallon' is 50% at 60F. I meant to say full proof, or maybe should have just said gallon. 100%. Typing faster than my brain works... The rest of the post and calculations are fine, just bad terminology in that statement.

I just cracked the batch of bourbon below Oct 11 post. It's now been 6 months in a new 5 gallon barrel, and its done. Delicious, smooth, fresh new barrel oak flavors. I bottled a couple fifths at 90p and put them on the bar. They wont last long. Who's free this weekend? :D