Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:34 am

Hey Tater I'm going to mash in my blueberry/cherry today, and I'm wondering how come your blueberry fermented for a month? I'm gonna go the
10 lbs bb's
10 lbs cherries
all mashed
5lbs white sugar
2tbsp lime juice
DADY yeast (all I have/have access to for now)
yeast nutrient
boiling 5 gal tap after overnight sit

Should I expect a month ferment? I have a submersible thermo that holds at 75*F, and if I can't see 'bubbles', what is the 'measure' on a fruit/must mash, it's the cap dropping, right?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

User avatar
Bushman
Global moderator
Posts: 15189
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by Bushman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:08 am

distiller_dresden wrote:Hey Tater I'm going to mash in my blueberry/cherry today, and I'm wondering how come your blueberry fermented for a month? I'm gonna go the
10 lbs bb's
10 lbs cherries
all mashed
5lbs white sugar
2tbsp lime juice
DADY yeast (all I have/have access to for now)
yeast nutrient
boiling 5 gal tap after overnight sit

Should I expect a month ferment? I have a submersible thermo that holds at 75*F, and if I can't see 'bubbles', what is the 'measure' on a fruit/must mash, it's the cap dropping, right?
If you have a refractometer you can take an OG and an FG reading to tell when it's done. Bubbles don't tell you much. Lots of reasons some washes take longer than others.

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 am

Would I know the finishing gravity just by focusing on what ABV I'm shooting for? Because it's not really 'up to me' really, right, at a certain point? I'm not as well-versed about when/how the vinegar conversion might/could start and that side of things, so that is something I need to learn about more to allay my own anxiety I guess to allow a ferment to run longer if necessary.

I had a honey/corn mash I let run 15 days because it still had some bubbles and thought I'd caught some hints of vinegar but by the time I drained and filtered it, boy it was like a distillery smell in the whole house before I'd even done any distilling just from that wash being filtered, it must've been about 19-21%.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by Tater » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 am

distiller_dresden wrote:Hey Tater I'm going to mash in my blueberry/cherry today, and I'm wondering how come your blueberry fermented for a month? I'm gonna go the
10 lbs bb's
10 lbs cherries
all mashed
5lbs white sugar
2tbsp lime juice
DADY yeast (all I have/have access to for now)
yeast nutrient
boiling 5 gal tap after overnight sit

Should I expect a month ferment? I have a submersible thermo that holds at 75*F, and if I can't see 'bubbles', what is the 'measure' on a fruit/must mash, it's the cap dropping, right?
Mostly cause time year I was fermenting .Didnt worry about cold nights.You need to slow down and read some .Your questions show your getting into a rush and thats not good in this hobby.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Do you think the product you got before you mixed it with the syrup you made, if you aged it with some nice charred oak, would have made a nice blueberry brandy/sipping brandy if you'd aged it say 4-6 or even 12 months? Or would it be best just to go the syrup/sweet sipping likker route you went?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by Tater » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Dont care for charred likker .I like fruits berries straight white or liquered as done as this topic is about.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Hey Tater! I'm using your method of likker on berries to flavor. Question; have you ever 'double' flavored the likker? As in after you remove the fruit from the likker, after it sat, dump more fresh/frozen fruit into the likker? Would it double density the flavor up, or in scientific terms is the likker saturated? I'm pondering this on making something with heavier flavor, savory really isn't the word, but with a real super density of fruit to it, and something else on oak, having split my recent batch up. I wondered if re-fruiting the likker would leech more/double fruit it up... Thoughts?
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by Tater » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:09 am

Never tried it so cant say . once sugared and made to syrup.Adding it back to preferred flavor has been enough.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

User avatar
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by jon1163 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

How long will a panty dropper at about 70 to 80% ABV last? And I mean last sitting not last drinking :)

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

I can answer this, well, to a point. I made a blueberry/black cherry version back in January - it's still sitting around - as it sits some of the fruit solids that I could never filter out settled, and some of the sugars too. But this was a good thing, because before I fruited it I had oaked some of it, considering I was making a type of REALLY high proof fortified wine kind of thing. It turned out REALLY f'ing good, like it's 72 proof and it tastes like a 30-40 proof 20 year old port tastes. When everything settled I rebottled it to get it off the extra sugars and the fruit pulps, and that helped the oak really come out, which had matured. It tastes like an oak cask port wine, for all the world like one, just crazy high proof and you can't tell. The blueberry/black cherry flavor kind of melded together into the flavor of a port; I think this was helped by instead of 'white' sugar on the fruit, as Tater suggests in his original recipe, I used panela sugar, but I'm sure any really 'raw' brown sugar that is close to cane as possible and unprocessed would give the same result. It has an added depth and warmth that white sugar just doesn't stand up to. But I think that works better with dark fruit and berries than it would with say peaches or strawberries and such.

Anyhow, answer is, it's May and my stuff has just gotten better. It should last, I would guess??, indefinitely, which is "until you drink it" OR "as long as you're able to not drink it."
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

User avatar
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor
Posts: 496
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by jon1163 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 pm

distiller_dresden wrote:I can answer this, well, to a point. I made a blueberry/black cherry version back in January - it's still sitting around - as it sits some of the fruit solids that I could never filter out settled, and some of the sugars too. But this was a good thing, because before I fruited it I had oaked some of it, considering I was making a type of REALLY high proof fortified wine kind of thing. It turned out REALLY f'ing good, like it's 72 proof and it tastes like a 30-40 proof 20 year old port tastes. When everything settled I rebottled it to get it off the extra sugars and the fruit pulps, and that helped the oak really come out, which had matured. It tastes like an oak cask port wine, for all the world like one, just crazy high proof and you can't tell. The blueberry/black cherry flavor kind of melded together into the flavor of a port; I think this was helped by instead of 'white' sugar on the fruit, as Tater suggests in his original recipe, I used panela sugar, but I'm sure any really 'raw' brown sugar that is close to cane as possible and unprocessed would give the same result. It has an added depth and warmth that white sugar just doesn't stand up to. But I think that works better with dark fruit and berries than it would with say peaches or strawberries and such.

Anyhow, answer is, it's May and my stuff has just gotten better. It should last, I would guess??, indefinitely, which is "until you drink it" OR "as long as you're able to not drink it."
I'm going to try the brown came sugar. thanks for the reply

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 pm

No problem! Types you can try are:
panela, sucanat, demerara, turbinado, panocha, piloncillo, jaggery, muscovado and rapadura

They are all relatively unprocessed cane sugars and when you taste them there is a wild, rich molasses kind of flavor, but also a lot more going on. They add a lot to whatever you add them to. I have one kind or another on hand at all times because they are just so interesting and add so much in place of normal old white sugar, which is just...sweet.

Even just good old brown sugar is nice and different; I prefer dark brown because it has a really high molasses content, and it just tastes really 'rich', but it isn't overpowering with molasses.

Good luck!
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

hefezelle
Novice
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 am
Location: Austria (as in Mozart, not Koalas!)

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by hefezelle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 am

Tater wrote:Take a gallon of cooled wash and add yeast
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!

User avatar
Tater
Admin
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:19 am
Location: occupied south

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by Tater » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:48 pm

hefezelle wrote:
Tater wrote:Take a gallon of cooled wash and add yeast
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
maybe read from beginning :mrgreen:
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

User avatar
distiller_dresden
Trainee
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 pm
Location: Northeastern Indiana

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by distiller_dresden » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:03 pm

13 gallon wash. This recipe is 35 lb fresh Blueberries 1/4 cup lime juice and 20 lbs sugar and 1 oz yeast EC-1118
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

hefezelle
Novice
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:24 am
Location: Austria (as in Mozart, not Koalas!)

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by hefezelle » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:29 am

thanks Tater & distiller_dresden, this sifting through all T&T threads repeatedly must be turning me blind if i can't even see something in plain sight like that anymore.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!

Post Reply