Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

some folks will use corn for base. take it in hi teens run it an let it age til
the apples come in. put it in ketle with cider. put cider in doublein keg
an have some left to keep shootin the keg to keep flaver up. all depends on flaver an sent of apples on how much corn likker you add.
ole likker dicks aint gona be fooled but they bout all dead. ha ha

so im tole
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

well made a test batch up using a brandy as the base alcohol.
just tried it tonight, tastes like fresh blueberries. absolutely tops. I'll be making a bigger batch soon.
mountainman
Novice

Re: Taters Blueberrie Liqueur

Post by mountainman »

Tater that was the best liqueur ever dam good!!!!!!!!!!!!
grizzly1
Novice

Post by grizzly1 »

Well Tater, After trying your peach liqueur I know this one will be a hit. Now where to get that many blueberries?
farmer
Novice

Post by farmer »

Do you cut your spirits down before or after soaking on the fruit? Setting ant 150 proof right now.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I temp to 100 proof then soak most times.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
RJB510
Novice

Post by RJB510 »

Ok, Probably answered heaps, and your all probably sick of it, but one more question, with all these fruit recipe's...
Are you meant to filter the distillate after you run it through the pot still? or will that strip flavour out as well. I read something on the parent site about some of the dangers with fruit mash's. Such as with tequila, does this apply here too?
Or do you leave it as is with all the fusil oils and bi products in?
Is the idea to have a really low temp when distilling and having a really low collection rate to avoid impurities?

Whats the story? because i'm used to refluxing with a sugar wash and just filtering the product later to mix with something.

I'll let the pro's clear it up.
Cheers
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I filter through a coffee filter as as I'm running still .
RJB510
Novice

Post by RJB510 »

By itself or with active carbon? by itself wouldn't really achieve much would it?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

By itself .Takes out all I need removed
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

filtering with carbon tends to remove flavour
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

I cant wait to try this. Blueberrie wine was kinda my specialty for a long time. This sounds great. Thanks Tater.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
RJB510
Novice

Post by RJB510 »

Did you do a blueberry wine through the same principles? Mashed blueberries, bit of sugar and white wine yeast? Let it ferment out in 12 days or so, then strain & bottle?

I'm interested to know!

I did something similar with peaches. Didn't have enough peaches in there however, and when i went to distill it, it was next to no flavour, and tasted like unpolished or unfiltered nutral spirit. Thats why i wanted to know if you needed to carbon filter it previously thinking that the filter would take away the harshness of the alcohol to leave some of the flavour (i tried it and it failed miserably), The taste wasn't there, read that there needs to be heaps of fruit for the taste to come across. Think i read in some forum or even the parent site that there needs to be so much % of fruit to water (now when i search again i cant find it :? ) someone can probably answer that for me however.
squeezins
Swill Maker

Post by squeezins »

I used 2.5 lbs of blueberries and 1.5 lbs of sugar per gal of distilled water usually in a 6 gal. batch. 1 lb of rasins 2 ts of acid blend . You just need to break the skins of the berries not blend them up. When it all cools pitch your yeast. I used a 5 gram packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee. Let it run for about 3 days at room temp and rack the wine off the lees into secondary fermenter . Airlock and let set till finished ,usually a couple of weeks.. U can use the berries left over to make a second batch of milder wine or just press em and use the juice in the secondary with the rest. Age it for about 3 months and it will take no time for people to drink it up. I have a friend of mine that ownes a winery sample it for a wine contest I was intering and he said it was a first class wine. I ended up taking 3rd place but i was happy with that . (there were over 150 entries). I hope this helps. 2.5 lbs sounds like a low amt. for the fruit but if too much is used it comes off like strong juice instead of wine.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
kronikbud
Novice

Post by kronikbud »

Hey this is some good stuff everyone, ive tried the strawberry panty dropper which my girlfriend and her friends absolutely loved. I thought it was ok just abit too sweet for my liking, i will have to get more creative and try alot more in the near future...

Thanks everyone, great recipe's and great advice as always on HD..... :D
stillerD
Novice

Post by stillerD »

I just have to say I tried this recipe with with a bag of frozen blueberries and it turned out great.

I did change a few things around. Used my sugar/cornmeal liquor, put it in mason jars with the berries. Then waited a week and strained all the liquid. Added sugar back to the berries and added syrup to taste. This stuff is EXCELLENT. Stored it in shrink wrap sealed wine bottles.
Fleischmann's Yeast. We rise. Everybody shines.
Javelin225ho
Novice

Post by Javelin225ho »

I did this to strawberry and blueberries. WOW! If you warn syrup to add to the clear or to your pancakes, just use the frozen berries, add sugar and put jar in hot water overnight. The next morning, drain, add sugar, put in hot water for the day, come home, drain, repeat until the syrup stops.....it's awesome! Thanks guys!
McIndy
Novice

Post by McIndy »

Tater,

After reading all this, Ima haffta try it! I used to work in a kitchen at a country club and had to make deserts. One of them was strawberry shortcakes where I put about 2 cups a strawberries in a 6 pan and then about a cup of sugar or so and i noticed it would always make syrup. (tastey syrup at that) That was about 5 years ago though, who'd a thought that I'd be seeing that used on here! Ill let yall know how it turns out!

Im thinkin bout usin' cherries! mmmmmmhh mmmmmm :thumbup:

McIndy
The EXPERT in anything was once a BEGINNER.
gonzo76
Novice

Post by gonzo76 »

I'm doing one like this but with bananas and at the end instead of adding honey you add a little bit of vanilla ....
BUY THE TICKET TAKE THE RIDE ....
mepete
Novice

Post by mepete »

WOW. This sounds great!
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

tater i have picked 2.5 gallons of blueberrys for a 6.5 gallon batch but my still can only hold 3 would you recomend doing 1 stripping run and adding it to the next run or doing the sepreer
?

all said a done it probly took me 18 hour to pick that many blueberrys do you think it was worth it or do you think i should just make a wine ?
Alcohol cant help your problems , but nether does water.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Id take 1/2 berries and use with a sugar wash and use rest to soak in likker and make syrup to flavor likker with :wink:
Bushman
Admin

Re:

Post by Bushman »

Tater wrote:I picked the all the berries at the same time if i hadnt of froze it it wouldnt of kept.But freezing it will break up cell walls in fruit /berries to make it easyer to make a wash out of.But if ya do freeze your fruit thats for soaking use it frozen dont thaw before adding to likker .If thawed in the likker it keeps its shape and color.
This is what I think I will do with the blackberries I pick next week and can't use right away. I will thaw them in liquor but also put them in a strainer bag to keep as many seeds out as possible.
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

One more question this isent gonna turn out like a blueberry vodka from the store is it ? That shits gross
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I wouldn't know I don't drink store bought likker :mrgreen:
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Just started this yesterday smells good mine I estimate isent goin to be a month I think 3 more days . Its already strong to taste and not so sweet . Tater have you ever saved the Dunder and added more blueberry and sugar ?
I found a limitless amount of blueberrys a half hour drive from my house
I think I gonna use 100% Dunder and add suger and Berrys ... I no it will be slow but I think it will be worth it

Do you no why useing 100% Dunder makes the ferment so slow ?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

dan_buddy wrote:
pH is too low.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

dan_buddy wrote:Just started this yesterday smells good mine I estimate isent goin to be a month I think 3 more days . Its already strong to taste and not so sweet . Tater have you ever saved the Dunder and added more blueberry and sugar ?
I think I gonna use 100% Dunder and add suger and Berrys ... I no it will be slow but I think it will be worth it

Reusing a fruit wash does not ad much flavor in my opinion. If I had unlimited supply Id make some pure blueberry brandy .
dan_buddy
Bootlegger

Post by dan_buddy »

Tater wrote:
dan_buddy wrote:Just started this yesterday smells good mine I estimate isent goin to be a month I think 3 more days . Its already strong to taste and not so sweet . Tater have you ever saved the Dunder and added more blueberry and sugar ?

Reusing a fruit wash does not ad much flavor in my opinion. If I had unlimited supply Id make some pure blueberry brandy .
Sitting on blueberry for a few months now really nice I added sugar to the backwash and fermented it just to see it came out alright I can definitely tell the difference between the blueberry sugars and the cane sugars in the first batch by using the second one as a judge

I might try 100 % brandy next year that's a lot of pickin and I have a new still soo that's a run more blueberrys
Might have to bring a couple of the bys and mudder to come help us out for that one

I scraped the lime juice by the way and maybe I ended up with a different taste because of it I don't no but it worked out great I will separate the Betty's for suryp in another couple months I can't see getting any worst

I have only had a paper towel and elastic band over it the whole time tater do you think I should leave it or cap it ?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

dan_buddy wrote:
Tater wrote:

Sitting on blueberry for a few months now really nice I added sugar to the backwash and fermented it just to see it came out alright I can definitely tell the difference between the blueberry sugars and the cane sugars in the first batch by using the second one as a judge

I might try 100 % brandy next year that's a lot of pickin and I have a new still soo that's a run more blueberrys
Might have to bring a couple of the bys and mudder to come help us out for that one

I scraped the lime juice by the way and maybe I ended up with a different taste because of it I don't no but it worked out great I will separate the Betty's for suryp in another couple months I can't see getting any worst

I have only had a paper towel and elastic band over it the whole time tater do you think I should leave it or cap it ?
Id cap it