Oat Whiskey

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Oat Whiskey

Post by Jimbo »

bla bla f'kin bla. Ive tasted a ton of oat whiskeys, mine, posted below in this thread, and plenty others, since and before. And I WILL go on record to say oats tastes flavorless as all hell, ESPECIALLY compared to roast beef, curried prawns or any other fuckin creature from land or sea.

Yes oats are hard to sparge, duh. Slime.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

And i have done a ton of them too :thumbup: , single malt oat whiskey has tons of flavour. I would say a lot more than barley. If you compare white dog to white dog oats is far more palatable and it remains true with aged whiskey. As for sparging well i don't sparge as for racking I'd rather rack oats over a sour mash any day . AS for the other comparison I was obviously giving an analogy not comparing them, no need for the straw man arguments. My opinion remains the polar opposite to yours because I have barrels of various whiskeys here and my most full flavoured is by far the single grain oat whiskey
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Well,.. you 've had better luck than me, or anything Ive bought, regarding oats. Find the stuff pretty lacking in general. I ended up using my oats to blend the 5 Grain, which is damn fine. Smoothness from the oats, sweetness from corn, fruit from wheat, spice from rye, and straight ethanol from the barley, and suddenly there's something to wrap your tongue around. I plan to give oats more tries. I dont give up easy. Just havent been impressed yet, with more than just mine.

I do agree on 100% barley. Pretty insipid. Unless of course there's a bunch of smoked malt in there to give a Scots kick to it.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Croweater, you using raw oats, malted oats, or a combo?
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Combo oat malt and same grain feedstock oat berries as adjucts , all gristed to a medium mill. The last mash did have enzymes added as my malt is for some reason no longer viable and I was loath to add sugar
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

Jimbo wrote:[...]I WILL go on record to say oats tastes flavorless as all hell [...]
That's probably why I've seen multiple members very happy with their oat vodka...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

bearriver wrote:
Jimbo wrote:[...]I WILL go on record to say oats tastes flavorless as all hell [...]
That's probably why I've seen multiple members very happy with their oat vodka...
Oh bullshit
Alphadog007
Novice

Post by Alphadog007 »

It's been a bit since this thread was posted, but I found it and decided to give it a try. I had some problems, newbie problems, so if this helps anyone; I'm glad to report.
The recipe calls for 2 pounds of oats (I used rolled oats) to 1 gallon of water. Using a 6 gallon buckets I was concerned that 10 pounds of rolled oats already covered 2.5 gallons of the bucket so I stopped there, boiled 6 gallons of water and was only able to use 3+ gallons after filling. This made, of course, a thick thick sludge that was near impossible to even stir. Trying to make 10 gallons total with two buckets, I added a third bucket, taking two gallons of sludge out of each leaving approx 4 gallons of sludge oats in each bucket. I then added 2 more gallons of hot water into each of the three buckets for a MUCH better consistency and waited for Amylase time. Anyway, for the newbies like me, make sure you have PLENTY of container space; and/or add a gallon of boiling water then oats, repeat until your container can stay efficient. I considered adding 2 pounds of sugar per bucket (thoughts?) and I am still wondering about nutrients as this thread doesn't mention helping the yeast in that way. (Thoughts?) In review, I can't believe something as basic as ignoring displacement was such a pain-in-the-arse.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I've gotten to a little more than 2lbs per gallon, 2.2lbs with very easy steps on the mashing.

Get the water to 140F, adding Seb HTL enzyme and the rolled oaks slowly as you stir heat the stuff to 180F. At 180F I shut it down and go to bed. Next morning it is at 150F, stir and add the second enzyme.

Nutrients? Add 1% by weight of rye and stir in fermenter before yeast pitch. Leave plenty of head room for foaming/cap.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I know 1% is not a great deal but there would be less flavourful alternatives to rye should that be desired
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

DAD300, how does that overnight soak on HTL do with the gluey Oats? Does the HTL win or do you have paste in the morning?

The Rye sounds good. As far as nutrients, I dont think you need anything here. Ive always had good luck with a small percentage of malt added to these cereal mashes, barley or wheat. The real malt enzymes seems to make my ferments happier than straight lab enzymes. But not all here have had that experience so take it as you may.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

HLT wins! I'm about to change to Hitempase® 2XL from BSG. Same stuff just dif producer.

Overnight is really just to drop temp, although the mash does get thinner all through the fermentation.

Rye...well I 30% faster finish without the rye. But the interesting thing is the fast start the yeast gets with the rye. It can be explosive. Around 3% and the ferment leaves the tank.

I'm betting the real malt is acting more as a nutrient, making things happier.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Well maybe but malt also adds malt flavour and pat malt adds an oat malt flavour (fancy that) so for a strong oat flavour I'd say use oat malt with or without pat adjuct. It's been stated before oats have light flavour and if using a raw grain with enzymes or sugar this is true as much with oat as most other grain but the use of malt will change the character of the spirit in no small way . That said some folks like light spirits for white dog and raw/ unmalted oat will give you that with the added smith as a babies arse characteristics they are so renowned for.
hefezelle
Novice

Post by hefezelle »

theholymackerel wrote:At 150ish F add amylase enzyme and stir it into the top 6 inches or so of oatmeal. Wait till the temp drops to 75 F or below and add some more amylase and also a nice neutral ale yeast like Nottingham ale yeast.
Is there a consensus about the optimal amount of amylase and yeast to use in this recipe? I'd love to include an mount in the Tried & True Recipes pdf!
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
I am writing the Tried And True Recipe Book pdf and appreciate critique!
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Good afternoon all.

This is my first attempt at a mash. I just did a small 4g mash 4g of water and 7lbs of oats. Im down to 155f and all i got is a very think oat meal soup like almost no liquid. My question is when i put amylase in it will become more liquid? Sorry for my ignorance but like I said this is my first attempt at a mash
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Well i answered my own question lol.. put some amylase in and as soon as i started to stir there was liquid but still think at the bottom. Have to see what its like once it gets to pitch temp. Heres hopeing my very frist mash works. No iodine to cheak but i will do a SG and see were im at
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

If it's rolled oats it will thin but it will no thin right out and you can forget about sparging as that shit just won't be happening.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So I'm mashing in my first try with oats.7 pounds manna pro steam crimped oats and7 pounds cracked corn I'm using tap water with k meta gypsum citric acid epsom salts.no malt grain just gonna use alpha amylase and bump it if I don't get tits for conversion...I'm curious as to how the sparge is gonna go ive got 4 gallon treated water to sparge with.trying to use a pillow case as a biab.well the mash is kinda thick started with 7 gallon in my turkey fryer pot and lost about a gallon putting the bag of grain I'm hoping the oat grains will help the sparge I really need to make a press or buy a mop bucket
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
peach travis
Novice

Re:

Post by peach travis »

wineo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 am I have made some oat whiskey,and me and 2 others have been experimenting with recipes. Use whole cleaned oats,the kind that you feed horses,and start out with 8-10Lbs of oats.You will have to run them through a grain mill and get a good crush,but where they are still intact.Put them in boiling water,and turn off the heat and cover,or even better put them in a cooler,and leave them over nite.Mash them with at least 4Lbs of 2 or 6 row malt thats been milled.Start the mash at 158f in a cooler,and leave it over nite.The next day add 8-10Lbs of sugar to the still warm mash,and put it in your fermenter.Use prestige whiskey yeast with /ag and ferment out.After the first run,save the backset,and use all of it with 8-10 Lbs of sugar on the same grain.After 3 runs add some oats,and malt or amelaze enzyme.Do stripping runs and collect down to 40%,and when you get enough ran to do a spirit run,add a 1/2 gallon of backset to all your stripped booze.Do your spirit run,and make some cuts.Be careful not to over oak it.It will be mild,but dont oak it as heavy as normal for whiskey.Just put a little color in it,and make sure its at 60-65% when you oak it.It is very easy to overdo it with the oak,so dont use much,and taste it every day,or you will overdo it. This is the no-smop method,and will give more flavor than using oatmeal,and is alot easier to rack,and deal with.
wineo
Hoping I can bump this to ask a few questions of the oat experts, as I've come into possession of 25kg of crushed oats.

1. What sort of volume ferment is wineo referring to with these numbers? Presumably 7 gallons (26.5L) if he is going by the 2lb/gallon rule?
2. Doesn't reusing all the backset each time plunge the acidity into undesirable territory?
3. If i wanted to try my hand at an all grain oat with some malted oats, what proportion unmalted vs malted should I be looking for?
4. For that all grain, presumably I'll need to do a gelatinisation phase, then a mash to extract whatever self-conversion I can, then hit it with some enzymes in the rest, and ferment with a yeast with enzymes as well to be safe and just roll with whatever I get. Does that sound on track?
5. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Re:

Post by Expat »

wineo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 am I have made some oat whiskey,and me and 2 others have been experimenting with recipes. Use whole cleaned oats,the kind that you feed horses,and start out with 8-10Lbs of oats.You will have to run them through a grain mill and get a good crush,but where they are still intact.Put them in boiling water,and turn off the heat and cover,or even better put them in a cooler,and leave them over nite.Mash them with at least 4Lbs of 2 or 6 row malt thats been milled.Start the mash at 158f in a cooler,and leave it over nite.The next day add 8-10Lbs of sugar to the still warm mash,and put it in your fermenter.Use prestige whiskey yeast with /ag and ferment out.After the first run,save the backset,and use all of it with 8-10 Lbs of sugar on the same grain.After 3 runs add some oats,and malt or amelaze enzyme.Do stripping runs and collect down to 40%,and when you get enough ran to do a spirit run,add a 1/2 gallon of backset to all your stripped booze.Do your spirit run,and make some cuts.Be careful not to over oak it.It will be mild,but dont oak it as heavy as normal for whiskey.Just put a little color in it,and make sure its at 60-65% when you oak it.It is very easy to overdo it with the oak,so dont use much,and taste it every day,or you will overdo it. This is the no-smop method,and will give more flavor than using oatmeal,and is alot easier to rack,and deal with.
wineo
peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pmHoping I can bump this to ask a few questions of the oat experts, as I've come into possession of 25kg of crushed oats.
1. What sort of volume ferment is wineo referring to with these numbers? Presumably 7 gallons (26.5L) if he is going by the 2lb/gallon rule?
Likely sticking with 2PPG, no reason to stray.
peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm2. Doesn't reusing all the backset each time plunge the acidity into undesirable territory?
He's referring to a Gumball, which is adding sugar to spent grain to extracting some additional flavor. The spent grain is sufficient buffer to not worry about PH issues so a single rerun.
peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm3. If i wanted to try my hand at an all grain oat with some malted oats, what proportion unmalted vs malted should I be looking for?
This would depend on the diastatic power of the Oat malt you're using. In general rule would be 20 - 30% malted, but it will depend on what you're using. Fizzix wrote a nice thread on recipe creation. here is the link. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=69417
peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm4. For that all grain, presumably I'll need to do a gelatinization phase, then a mash to extract whatever self-conversion I can, then hit it with some enzymes in the rest, and ferment with a yeast with enzymes as well to be safe and just roll with whatever I get. Does that sound on track?
Yes, a gelatinization phase is required, but oats don't require as much heat as say corn to become available for conversation. Have a look around for beer brew calculators; based on the grain temp (e.g. room temp) what temp to raise your water too so that when combined it arrives at the appropriate mashing temp. Insulate, wait, and do starch tests.

Alternatively you can do the Easy Large batch Mashing approach detailed here in SCD's thread. link: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=65703
To me this is the best approach.
peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:03 pm5. Anything else I should be aware of?
Oats are gloopy. Expect a fight when trying to separate out the spent grain. Many people would steam strip for this reason.

Hope that helps.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by peach travis »

Thanks Expat, that does help.

The way I read wineo’s method was that the backset keeps going back into the fermenter (in its entirety) and after 3 runs (i.e strips) you add more grain. That process is repeated for however long it takes to collect a boiler full of low wines.

That confused me as it seemed like a) 100% backset over and over again would surely acidify the mash in a big way and b) his recipe instructs collecting down to 40%, so it seems like the backset is still quite alcoholic too. But is that not necessarily a problem because you’re only adding enough extra sugar to up the yield, but it stays within the yeast‘s range?

A lot of questions I know, sorry, but I did try search for the answers first and I’ve done my basic research.

I’m leaning toward all grain > sugarheads just from my experience so far, but the ease of lautering in wineo’s method does sound attractive.

As you suggest, the DP of the malted oats over here is a bit of a mystery, but I’m less concerned about using enzymes than I am about adding sugar to it.

I think I need to stop fussing and get stuck in. Might just try my luck with the SCD method and if the starch test fails, hit it with some enzymes and run with it. The malted to unmalted ratio is also good info thanks.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

peach travis wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:33 pm Thanks Expat, that does help.

The way I read wineo’s method was that the backset keeps going back into the fermenter (in its entirety) and after 3 runs (i.e strips) you add more grain. That process is repeated for however long it takes to collect a boiler full of low wines.

That confused me as it seemed like a) 100% backset over and over again would surely acidify the mash in a big way and b) his recipe instructs collecting down to 40%, so it seems like the backset is still quite alcoholic too. But is that not necessarily a problem because you’re only adding enough extra sugar to up the yield, but it stays within the yeast‘s range?

A lot of questions I know, sorry, but I did try search for the answers first and I’ve done my basic research.

I’m leaning toward all grain > sugarheads just from my experience so far, but the ease of lautering in wineo’s method does sound attractive.

As you suggest, the DP of the malted oats over here is a bit of a mystery, but I’m less concerned about using enzymes than I am about adding sugar to it.

I think I need to stop fussing and get stuck in. Might just try my luck with the SCD method and if the starch test fails, hit it with some enzymes and run with it. The malted to unmalted ratio is also good info thanks.
I can attest that the SCD method works really well; i've done both barley and corn (with a portion of oats) and I've had excellent conversion success. Corn being one of the hardest to gel, I think you'll have a relatively easy time getting Oats to go. Personally I wouldn't bother with a sugar head version, unless you're just looking for some practice; true AG is a much nicer product. :)

A couple of other items you might find interesting;

A single malt oats thread- https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=30759

Gel temps of various grains - The chart has been challenged, but I think its still a useful reference.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=16799

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by peach travis »

Thanks Expat, appreciate the info. Excited to have a go now.

Will report back...
Eaton
Novice

Post by Eaton »

trthskr4 wrote: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:19 pm Very smooth even the heads if it wasn't for the smell the heads would be drinkable if watered down.
Was there any “dog crap” smell left in the distillate? Or are you referring to the usual “cleaning product” notes in the heads?

I ask because my first 5 gal whole cracked oat mash (with sugar and apples) started getting an old sock or diaper smell on day 2-3. My guess is that there were enough yeast nutrients so I stirred in some yeast energizer and DAP. two days later the smell is not as bad but it’s still not pleasant like the apple and oatmeal smell on day 1.

Wineo, is it normal to have off smells for fermenting on grain mashes? This is my first attempt with grains.
Eaton
Novice

Post by Eaton »

Eaton wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:43 am
trthskr4 wrote: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:19 pm Very smooth even the heads if it wasn't for the smell the heads would be drinkable if watered down.
Was there any “dog crap” smell left in the distillate? Or are you referring to the usual “cleaning product” notes in the heads?

I ask because my first 5 gal whole cracked oat mash (with sugar and apples) started getting an old sock or diaper smell on day 2-3. My guess is that there were enough yeast nutrients so I stirred in some yeast energizer and DAP. two days later the smell is not as bad but it’s still not pleasant like the apple and oatmeal smell on day 1.

Wineo, is it normal to have off smells for fermenting on grain mashes? This is my first attempt with grains.
I figured it out. The fermentation temperature was too high. when I put some ice packs on the bucket the smell became nice within a day.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Hey all, I recently made a 100% oat whiskey to see what it was like and I can't believe how good it is! Like drinking an oatmeal cookie! So good I need to do it again, but a little differently. Please see if I'm going to make a mistake or not

I made mine with Angel yeast, so no mashing. Angel yeast has zero flavor to me, and all I taste is the grains. Gen 1 I milled a 55lb bag of rolled oats from the feed store and put into the fermenter, topped up with warm water and pitched the yeast. The next gens I used 30% backset straight from the still to sterilize the grains for a few hours before topping up with cool water and pitching yeast. I did 5 gens and the grain to water/backset ratio was under 2-1, so the abv was about 4% and that's fine by me. I also noticed that the heads and tails were not very offensive, and that the tails didn't start until waaaayyyy late into the run. My hearts was a massive percentage!

This time I'm going to make it without any backset, I want to see what it's like without. No other flavor except the grains. I also have a 55lb bag of rye that I was thinking of using, it would make up 20% of the grains. Has anyone mixed rye with oats? Should I do it or not??
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I do malted rye and oat and like it. I think oat and rye is worth a shot.
:)
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Beerswimmer wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:26 pm Has anyone mixed rye with oats? Should I do it or not??
Check out SCD's CROW in Recipe Development. Great stuff w/ YLAY.
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Ben wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:43 am I do malted rye and oat and like it. I think oat and rye is worth a shot.
I'd believe it, wheat, barley and oat I'd pretty dern good, I suspect rye would be too
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

I do a ratio of 34-3-1-1 of boiling water, cornmeal, oatmeal and rye flour. I use HT Alpha and then Gluco

Nice flavour, wide hearts and very little tails

Be prepared with the rye flour though - that can be a challenge draining it - but worth it for the taste.
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!