Peach brandy

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach brandy

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Great thread. Why do some of you freeze the peaches ? Not many peaches available here except in the grocery stores. A drive to Ohio next season to buy them by the bushel maybe in order.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Two reasons for me .1 lets me keep them till I have time to work them up .2 Freezing breaks up the cell walls making it easier for yeasts to get to juice.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Thanks friend.

FMH.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

I scored about a thirty gallon fermenter of peaches this fall. Mashed, screened and fermented in two buckets. The cap just fell on the buckets so I ran the smaller one. As I understand it, I'm to run it on the pulp? The reason I ask is that I noticed when I run fruit wine ' dirty' it leaves allot of residue....and the distillate comes out cloudy. Footers noticed it while running a bunch of plum wine I did this summer. Scrubbed, soaked in citric acid, ran vinegar top get the blue and purple out of my still. Ran the first run of peach and its cloudy again. Brown oily film inside my shiny clean copper again.

Should I just run the clear wine above the mush? There is only a few gallons that's not silty. Our are you guys staining it? I initially tried straining my plum wine but found it nearly impossible a the mush clogs the filter too fast. I did run it faster as I was doing a striping run......looker I've done for sweet feed and apple wine in the past.

Thanks!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I would dip off and run clear as I could till I got experience with fruit washes. If your running with a thumper could put pulpy mash in it.
Kelbor
Bootlegger

Post by Kelbor »

It would be such a waste to only run the clear - The larger fermenter is a 24 gallon can with seriously only about 3-5 gallons of clear over about 15+ gallons of pulp. Im using a 15 gal. keg as my boiler.

I don't mean to sound daft but I kind of am. Im not sure what further experience I should be waiting for with fruit ferments. I am 'young' in the game and have only run a few runs of apple, a few runs of pear, and a blackberry wine (5 gallons per run) through. Ive been making beer and wine for years and this was stuff that was sitting in the basement for 2 years as I never got around to bottling it (kid came earlier then expected) so it was pretty darn clear.

With the peach I was going for pure quality and did not add any water (they were super juicy and made plenty of moisture to be soupy after being blended). After taking the pits out, mashing and screening, I Hit them with sulfates and then the next day dropped a wine yeast bomb. O.G. was 1.055! Ferment was up to par. The only problem is that it is soooo pulpy that the majority of my liquid is in the 'soup'. I cant move that heavy ass fermenter outside to colder temps so that technique of getting thing to drop out of suspension is out of the question. Should I run super slow?

What would a person with more experience do that I am not doing? Thanks!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Let it settle long enough and clear will be much father down then it is now do even better colder it is . I use old blankets and walmart laundry bag that fit my 15 gallon barrels that's got a drain on it .http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... art=12.Ive taken blankets put in 55 gallon barrel and filled with product then tied end blanket to my come along and slowly crank up till sack above barrel .This is a slow process but it works.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You got a press. Make one it ain't gonna be the last time you use it.
you gonna put that pulp in your kettle you best keep it stired till you cap it

So IM tole
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »