Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by artooks »

ıt has been sitting almost 4 weeks now, it is really interesting to see how that tangerine smell at first mellows out and creates a great tasting gin.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

artooks wrote:ıt has been sitting almost 4 weeks now, it is really interesting to see how that tangerine smell at first mellows out and creates a great tasting gin.
Good to see someone else enjoying this, artooks. I'm halfway or so through the 5 week rest but I'm constantly sampling.
Each subsequent sample proves the rest has benefit. Ironic that by not waiting, I'm experiencing the advantage of waiting.

And yeah that tangerine really blends in nicely with time as you say.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

It has been 5 weeks now and it really tastes very good thanks Odin, one thing that I get from people who tries it is that they find the tangerine to be dominant, up until now I always macerate for 15 days and then distill, I am wondering how the taste will change if I do herbs in the boiler and tangerine in the vapour path, I guess tha tangerine will be less dominant this way can you please confirm this.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...herbs in the boiler and tangerine in the vapour path.... can you please confirm this.
Confirmed!
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

still_stirrin wrote:
artooks wrote:...herbs in the boiler and tangerine in the vapour path.... can you please confirm this.
Confirmed!
Thanks, will this way of distilling reduces the tangerine taste as well ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...will this way of distilling reduces the tangerine taste as well ?
Already anwered this question. Reread the thread.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

I do enjoy a good gin and tonic, and so I couldn't resist giving it a go after seeing Odin's recipe. I have a CM still (built it before I found this site, it's the one in the novice distiller's section with the big red X through it......), and I have been making whiskey, so didn't have good neutrals to start with. I substituted with generic Everclear at 153 proof (that's the max proof allowed to be sold in Florida), diluted down to 43%, ended up with 4 liters of 43% to macerate in. Used Odin's botanicals bill (x4, since I started with 4 liters), except only used 3 mandarin skins instead of 4 tangerine, and added one cassia/cinnamon stick ("real" cinnamon, the kind that's tan, not dark reddish brown). I macerated for about 20 hours, left all the botanicals in the boiler and ran at about 10 ml/minute or 600 ml/hr collection rate with no packing in the column (2 inch diameter). Threw away the first 14 ml, then collected the next 1600 ml.

It smells wonderful, but I was worried it was too intense. After measuring the alcohol percentage (and yes, correcting for temperature), my 1.6 liters of distillate was at 87.8%. I was surprised it was that high, as I was thinking a 30 inch unpacked column would run like a pot still, but it's acting like there's some reflux. I added 1.5 liters of distilled water to dilute to 45%. At 45% the flavor seems just right for me, and I like my gin with an assertive flavor. Love the juniper, it comes across about as strong as it does in Beefeater's, my favorite commercial gin. The mandarin definitely comes across more strongly than most of the commercial gins I've tried, but I like that flavor, so it's about what I was aiming for. I poured about a thimbleful in a shot glass and tasted it side by side with the same amount of Beefeater's.... and it compares very favorably. I distilled the stuff this morning, so it hasn't even had any time to rest. I'm going to put this on the shelf and see if I can keep my hands off of it for five weeks..... if it improves as much as everyone who has made it says, I think I'm REALLY gonna like this stuff.... it's pretty good now. My son and his GF like the citrusy gins, I think they're both gonna enjoy this the next time they visit. My wife is disappointed we have to wait 5 weeks too.... I'll probably break down and make us both a nice G&T in a couple days.... you know, for scientific purposes, to monitor how the flavor develops.

The only negative I have to report is that I think I can taste a little heads in the final product.... damn cheap grain alcohol. I'm gonna build both pot and boka columns, so I can make a good neutral and have clean stuff to macerate in, a real pot still for gin (and to make tastier whiskey too). I think this is a very nice recipe, couldn't be easier, and having the amount of botanicals and collection amounts specified makes it idiot proof (I know, don't underestimate the power of idiocy.....). I don't think I'm going to be buying much gin anymore.

Odin, top notch recipe, thanks so much for sharing this with us, as well as your continued advice in the years since you first posted it. Took me a lot of time to read through the whole thread, but that made my first batch turn out pretty much how I like it. I'll update as it ages.
Last edited by FL Brewer on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

FL Brewer wrote:...my 1.6 liters of distillate was at 87.8%. I was surprised it was that high, as I was thinking a 30 inch unpacked column would run like a pot still, but it's acting like there's some reflux...
But you started with a 43% neutral maceration in the boiler. It is not surprising you could get 160 to 170 proof distillate off of the unpacked still.
FL Brewer wrote:...I added 1.5 liters of distilled water to dilute to 45%. At 45% the seems just right for me...
ditto. I too bottle my gin ("Speak Easy") at 90 proof. And I usually just pour it over a few ice cubes...no tonic needed. OK, for grins I will put a lime slice in it.
FL Brewer wrote:...and I like my gin with an assertive flavor. Love the juniper...(but) The mandarin definitely comes across more strongly than most of the commercial gins I've tried, but I like that flavor...
Odin gave us a winner here, didn't he?
FL Brewer wrote:...I distilled the stuff this morning, so it hasn't even had any time to rest. I'm going to put this on the shelf and see if I can keep my hands off of it for five weeks...
:D meee tooo. Too good right away.

FL Brewer wrote:...only negative I have to report is that I think I can taste a little heads in the final product.... damn cheap grain alcohol. I'm gonna build both pot and boka columns, so I can make a good neutral and have clean stuff to macerate in...
:clap: :clap:

And I suggest starting with Rad's All Bran for the neutral base...it's a great fermenter and a very neutral flavor and aroma out of the fermenter. Running a strip + spirit will get you a very elegant neutral for your gin.
ss
KingE
Novice

Post by KingE »

I only soaked my tangerine skin overnight. Then boiled the juniper and coriander. I think it’s quite balanced. Any of the three may seem dominant depending on what I’m eating etc.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

And I suggest starting with Rad's All Bran for the neutral base...it's a great fermenter
Thanks for that suggestion, SS. Have never done a neutral, always did a grain based thin mash for whiskey, will use the all bran as my first shot at a neutral. Gotta get a VM column built first, though.
Everyone has to believe in something. Me? I believe I'll have another drink......
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Starting to get the copper together for the pot still head (I'm going to base it on Samohon's design), and figuring out which VM column design to build. This batch of gin has me hooked - great flavor, easy recipe, only downside is that I've got to make some good neutral spirit so I have the base to work with. Guess that's not much to complain about, although it is cutting into my beer brewing activities. I'm going to use this recipe as a flavored vodka base as well. If I omit all the botanicals except the citrus peel, maybe even up that quantity a bit from the recipe, I will have a nice citrus flavored vodka. I really like the mandarin flavor that came across in my first attempt at gin, I really am curious as to how it will taste on it's own. Will probably add a little lemon zest as well. I also have a kaffir lime tree in the yard, might experiment with the rind and/or leaves. The leaves do give a nice lime overtone to curries, and I think I saw someone in this thread that used them (and the lesson learned from that post is: use 'em sparingly).

Hmmm, all this time I thought I was only a whiskey distiller. Gotta invite my thirsty friends over more often if I'm gonna keep finding new recipes like this. It is also nice to have a finished product in 5 weeks vs. 6-12 months for decent whiskey.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

FL Brewer wrote: Hmmm, all this time I thought I was only a whiskey distiller. Gotta invite my thirsty friends over more often if I'm gonna keep finding new recipes like this. It is also nice to have a finished product in 5 weeks vs. 6-12 months for decent whiskey.
Great post. Just to let you know you can have both.
I'm using the "Recipes" for Jimbo's Wheated Bourbon & Gumball -http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=39617
Here's the gumball mash:
Ginball Sugar Wash.jpg
I currently have 4 gallons of Wheated Bourbon and 6 gallons of Gumball wash.
I'm going to follow Odin's recipe for (maybe) Genever or Old Style Gin with the Gumball .
Your tips are a big help.
Thanks! :wtf:
Last edited by TDick on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

TDick - I've been lurking here for quite a while, and just joined recently. I've learned most of what I know about distilling here, and I'm happy that I can contribute anything that's even a little bit useful to others on this site.
Lucazzu
Novice

Post by Lucazzu »

Loving It!
It's my First time distilling gin, i think i'll do It next week guys!

Also, is 10ml for head enough?! I'm a newbie and i'm trying to understand how It works thanks guys!

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Lucazzu wrote:Also, is 10ml for head enough?!
Inviato dal mio HUAWEI VNS-L31 utilizzando Tapatalk
Yes. You're distilling what's been distilled already.
Don't be afraid of poison (I saw your concern previously about methanol).
You're more likely to get a bad hangover from poor cuts than poisoning. The levels here just aren't that dangerous. Fake News!

{And my friend it would be appreciated if you would turn off the Tapatalk tag. See this. Thanks.}
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Lucazzu wrote:Loving It!
It's my First time distilling gin, i think i'll do It next week guys!
Also, is 10ml for head enough?! I'm a newbie and i'm trying to understand how It works thanks guys!
Hi Lucazzu!
I noticed you got this advice from Bushman on another thread. Perhaps after you posted this.
Still consider myself a Noob but in reading this and other forums, THIS is the best advice on cuts I have seen.
I believe if you read AND STUDY Yummyrum's method you will be much more confident in making cuts!
Bushman wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 am
Welcome, check out the link for info on cuts.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=68702
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Made a double batch yesterday, I had to use ground coriander it is all I could find, will this be an issue? I'm thinking I should have cut the amount down some.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Ground may lead to slightly higher extraction levels. Lessening total amount may help. But if you like the result ... who cares, right?

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Just had a taste and its good so far.
edit to add my ingredients
3l 43% neutral
36g Juniper berries
9g Ground coriander
9g lemon zest I used a potato peeler to just get the yellow

I guess it was a triple batch :moresarcasm:
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I distilled last night very interesting how the flavor profile changes throughout the process.
it is now diluted down to 40% abv and its good but seems to have almost a licorice taste so I will have to make some adjustments. Is it the lemon peel, Ground Coriander, or juniper that I have to cut back on? Or do I just need to wait a bit to see?
Thanks, all.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Canuckwoods wrote:I distilled last night very interesting how the flavor profile changes throughout the process.

It is now diluted down to 40% abv and its good but seems to have almost a licorice taste so I will have to make some adjustments. Is it the lemon peel, Ground Coriander, or juniper that I have to cut back on?
I don’t see how you get licorice out of those 3 ingredients alone. I thought licorice flavor comes from fennel, not corriander. Coriander has more of a lemon flavor, if anything. I wonder if you “washed out” some flavors from a previous run or something. You didn’t use anise seed (or worse, star anise) on a previous run did you?

Regardless, I don’t think you’re out of balance with any of those 3 components listed. I like the big juniper flavor and aroma because it is reminiscent of limes with a little pine-like spiciness. The coriander softens it a bit with a lemon flavor and some drying astringency. The lemon/orange peel also gives up the citrus flavor and aroma but also adds a little sweetness back in.
ss
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

I think my first adjustment might just be some natural it may just be over flavored.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Canuckwoods wrote:I think my first adjustment might just be some natural it may just be over flavored.
The flavors will blend and quit screaming with even just a week's rest. I don't think you macerated wrong or added too much.
Canuckwoods
Swill Maker

Post by Canuckwoods »

Unfortunately, patience is not a virtue I possess. It was actually much better last night.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Canuckwoods wrote:Unfortunately, patience is not a virtue I possess. It was actually much better last night.
You'd be surprised at how the development wait improves it though. Make a sh!tload like me that way some has to wait.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

OK, my batch of Odin's gin has been resting a little over a week now, and the flavor profile has changed dramatically. All of the flavors are milder, seem better blended and more refined. I mentioned a heads flavor that I noticed when tasting the same day it was distilled. I thought that was heads from the cheap neutral I bought, but that may be harshness from the juniper or mandarin peel.... that flavor has faded significantly.... maybe because I'm uncapping the stuff to smell it a couple times every day... I'll let you know as I continue my monitored aging process. I am, with great effort, going to limit myself to one G&T using this stuff per week until I get to the five week point.

Anyway, flavor is definitely improving..... and it was pretty good to start. The mandarin/tangerine flavor is still dominant, but not as strong as it was initially. It even tastes a bit sweet, but maybe that's the tonic. Another thing I noticed, is that I've got a louche. The day of distilling, I just tasted the gin straight up, but this time I made a gin and tonic (no lime or any other addition, just gin and tonic), and I noticed as the ice melted, and therefore the alcohol/water ratio went down, the drink got that milky appearance as the alcohol soluble oils came out of solution. I think another poster on this thread mentioned the same thing. While I have never seen this in gin before, it doesn't bother me. I really do like the strong mandarin flavor, I think I'm gonna call this tangerine gin. I think if I was looking for a more traditional gin flavor, I would cut down on the amount of mandarin (or not leave it in the boiler during distillation), and up the juniper a bit. I really like the mandarin/tangerine flavor though, and I don't mind the louche, so this recipe is one I'll definitely repeat. Maybe I'll tweak the recipe a bit for my traditional gin drinking friends, but I like having that nice citrus flavor without even needing a lemon or lime.
FL Brewer
Swill Maker

Post by FL Brewer »

Almost three weeks on my batch of Odin's gin, and the flavors continue to mellow and blend. The flavor I thought was heads is completely gone now, and the mandarin flavor is nicely balanced. I think I'll use the full amount of mandarin (subbed for tangerine) peel next time I make this (I used 3/4 of Odin's recommendation). I do notice a bit of a bitter flavor, which I think comes from the mandarin pith..... my bad for not following the recipe exactly and using real tangerines, which have almost no pith. Live and learn. The mandarins do have a very nice flavor, very close to tangerine, but they, like my attempts at humor, are a bit ....... pithy. Next time I run this, if I can't find real tangerines, I will make sure I scrape all the white stuff from the inside of the peels, or use one of those microtome type slicers to just get the zest of the fruit. Will probably add a little bit of lemon and/or lime zest as well, I think that would be a nice addition to the flavor. I also used dried juniper berries, and the juniper taste is a bit light for me, so I'll increase the amount by about 30% or so from Odin's recipe. Or maybe grind the juniper, I just crushed it with a mortar and pestle, some of the berries didn't even get very damaged.

Has anyone else noticed a bitter flavor from citrus pith? Is that the source of that slightly bitter flavor? It's not bad enough to not like this stuff in a gin and tonic, but it's suboptimal. Almost reminds me of grapefruit, but not exactly .....
thepopeofantelope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thepopeofantelope »

I'll have to agree. I can only find Sumatra mandarins. I distilled 2liters(finished product) 6 weeks ago and there is an off bitter flavor. I won't repeat this recipe unless you post positive results with using mandarin peels without the 'white stuff'. Please follow up as many newbs read this thead.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Use tangerine, because it has much less inside white.

I think it is stated somewhere already.

Just checked it, yes it is posted ... in the original post no less. Use tangerine. The skin. The rest you can eat.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi I use mandarine with maceration and did not notice bitterness after 5 weeks rest it is perfect but still the mandarine is dominant next time I will put herbs in the boiler and mandarine in the vapour path lets see.