Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Odin »

Glad you like it.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Stringduster
Novice

Post by Stringduster »

Wiz of Oz wrote:Hey String,
If I remember correctly in watching the video that Odin posted in this thread that he does indeed use hop bags for that very purpose.

Cheers
Thanks Wiz. I must have missed the link. I bought a stainless steel hanging tea strainer to use.
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

Your welcome String!

I also just read on Odin`s istill blog that yesterday was Odin`s birthday so a big Happy Belated Birthday to you Odin!
All new distillers please read Crankys Spoon Feeding
geoff400
Novice

Post by geoff400 »

A friend of mine had his girlfriend pick me some juniper berries when she visited her place in Finland. To be honest they did not look that good and were different shades of grey to green. Just 15gms worth so I put them aside not taking them very seriously.

Last weekend my friend arranged for a load of us to go on a bus trip to Sheffield so I thought it would be a good opportunity to knock up some gin for the trip as I would have a captive audience and my friend would get to try "his" gin.

Thinking the juniper would fail I did not want to use a lot of time or fancy botanicals so it was a good time to try out Odin's Easy Gin.

I had 1L of 52% stripped sugar wash available, macerated the 15.44 gm juniper (many with stalks left on) with 3 gm coriander and a whole fresh tangerine peel over night, 18 hours. I did not crush anything.

I have a 2L science lab type still for messing around with flavour test so ran it all through that in 45 minuets. Chucked first 20ml, kept next 100ml aside as it smelled very powerful, collected next 545ml at 80% and made up to 1L with RO water, ending at 45% abv.

Left over night with a coffee filter on top to allow it to breath.

It was great, everybody happy, maybe if I am hyper critical it was heavy on the tangerine but that may be the poor quality juniper I used not manning up to the task. Bottom line is that even if you keep it simple and use whatever is to hand this recipe works very well.

Thanks for sharing Odin
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

Happy Days! Odin, thank you for taking the time and sharing this recipe and method, and for your continued comments on this thread that you started 4 years ago!

My gin project started about 3 months ago when I first started the process of making a All Bran neutral with my pot still. 225 liters of wash later, I ended up with about 8 liters of 44% abv neutral that I was happy with.

I took 4 of those liters yesterday and added the peel of two medium size oranges (no tangerines around and I figured the two oranges would be close to 4 tangerine skins), 52 grams of juniper berries ( a bit higher than recipe but these berries are a bit dry and hard) and 12 grams of coriander. I mildly crushed the juniper and coriander and added everything to my 43% abv All Bran Neutral.

After 24 hours or so of soaking I threw everything into my boiler, removing the orange peels, diluted to around 35% abv which gave me about 5 liters and fired her up. I collected as per Odins instructions, tossing the first 10ml of juniper oils and collecting 400ml/liter for a total of 2 liters. My 2 liters came in at 78% abv and I diluted down to 43% abv and ended up with roughly 3.7 liters of finished product.

It is so satisfying after countless hours and 3 months later to have this come out even better than I could have hoped for.

Once again, a big shout out to you Odin for giving all of us the ability and confidence to create such a wonderful spirit!

No louching of any kind but that may due to the quality of my juniper berries. Regardless I had to have a sample because it smelt so good and I was very, very impressed with how it tasted right away. I can't wait to see how this develops over the next 5 weeks!
Wiz of Oz
Bootlegger

Post by Wiz of Oz »

So I tried the gin again after sitting for 3 days and once again Odin is bang on, a much improved product. Really looking forward to seeing how things taste after 5 weeks.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

well i did this today.
took 2 liters of 45abv triple distilled corn likker and ground the herbs them and added them to
a half gallon jug.
i proceded to put that jug in a 5 gallon pot filled half with water and used as a bain marie
i brought it up to about the boiling point of alcohol and removed
its been 2 hours and it really smells like gin
cannot wait to distill
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
scotboy15
Novice

Post by scotboy15 »

Thanks for this Odin!

I tried this method for the first time last week. I have a pot still that I bought so macerated the botanicals in 1 litre of vodka for 24 hours prior to distillation and started the distillation with the botanicals still in the pot. As it was my first go at it, I put some additional botanicals in the vapour column as well.

I didn't realise that distillate would start to come out quite so quickly so missed the 10ml cut off and had to dispose of more than 10mls which I was annoyed at myself about. I then collected just under 400ml of what I measured to be about 85% alcohol and then diluted it down to 45%.

Had some people drink it Saturday night and the reviews were pretty good and give me a lot of confidence to continue. However, two of the people (the two people who drunk the most of it) reported that they had the one of the worst hangovers they have had in a long time.

Is it possible that this is due to something I have done or is it just they drank a lot? Could it be possible it was stronger than I thought or did I collect too much distillate?

Also, the brown, sweet watery alcohol that is left at the end - I presume there is no goodness left in this and it should just be disposed of?
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Read more, introduce yourself. The hangover is not from the gin but from the base product.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

scotboy15 wrote:I didn't realise that distillate would start to come out quite so quickly so missed the 10ml cut off and had to dispose of more than 10mls which I was annoyed at myself about.
If you turn the heat off and let the still cool a bit, you can add it back and start over. You can do the same if it pukes.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

scotboy15 wrote:...the brown, sweet watery alcohol that is left at the end - I presume there is no goodness left in this and it should just be disposed of?
When I do a gin run, the backset is usually quite stinky from the botanicals in the boiler. It has a very "sharp" acidic (eye burning) smell. I dump it out.

But if you figure the collection volume and proof, you aren't really leaving much, if any alcohol behind in the boiler. So, dumping it and cleaning the boiler good should get rid of the leftover mess.
(volume x %ABV of boiler charge - volume x %ABV of collected product = volume of wasted alcohol @ 100% ABV)

In the end, it's the nice gin that you do collect that is your target...not the leftovers.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
scotboy15
Novice

Post by scotboy15 »

Excellent. Thanks very much for the replies guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Odin - apologies for not introducing myself, it was never my intention to come across as rude. Basically, I am a guy in Scotland who for the past couple of years has enjoyed gin and trying various different kinds. With the recentish emergence of a lot more small batch gins it has become increasingly more interesting for me how all of the different gins taste so different. I was fascinated with how they were made and what affects the taste and met with a local small batch gin distiller, talked with him a bit and found that he basically started off with a simple small still at home and experimented with different recipes. I was intrigued by it so here I am.

I have done some reading, infact it was a book I read that pointed me towards this site, but obviously there is a lot of information out there so sometimes it is hard to know what is good information and what isn't.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

NZChris wrote:
scotboy15 wrote:I didn't realise that distillate would start to come out quite so quickly so missed the 10ml cut off and had to dispose of more than 10mls which I was annoyed at myself about.
If you turn the heat off and let the still cool a bit, you can add it back and start over. You can do the same if it pukes.
let it cool quite a bit adding high proof booze to a hot mixture will boil on contact, with the possibility of injury or worse...keep your wits about you.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

Odin wrote:I'd go x/100 on the liquorice or its replacement: cloves.

x/10 will make you a very spicy gin. Think Indian Curry.

Regards, Odin.
Oh dear. I did a new run using a much improved proces which included ultrasound, same spice mix. Blind tasting with 6 store bought gins showed mine to have a smell which I would describe as "sawdust", and it's way to rooty/earthy. First I thought I got too much tails, but the numbers (temp measured) says I haven't. Now I remember I changed from liquorice stalks which where very difficult to cut up to chopped liquorice from a beer brewers shop. Could an overload of liquorice explain this?

Ma.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've used powdered, sliced and whole and not noticed much difference. Can you taste the earthy flavor if you chew it?
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

Nope, tried that, just the usual taste of liquorice. I tasted most of the other ingredients as well, no surprises there either.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I have put 1 Gallon of Odin's easy gin, it has been a week now, the maceration still in progress for another week, today I tasted to see what it is like, I have find out that the tangerine smell is dominant could not really taste the juniper berries at this stage, so after 1 week when I distill it with my pot still does the taste will change ? this is my first time and really wondering how it will turn out, also I need to diluate an bring the volume to 2 gallons to distill it is it ok to diluate it prior distilling ?

Thanks
kornflake
Novice

Post by kornflake »

Artooks

I found that my experience was the same that the Tangerine was a dominant flavor and smell. After I distilled it, it still had a powerful Tangerine smell and flavor. I let it age a month and the Juniper really started to be the dominant smell and taste. The Tangerine is still there but it is a more subtle and leaves a nice after taste. It just gets better the longer I sits. I love to just open the cork and smell it. Hope this helps.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:...it has been a week now....the maceration still in progress for another week...today I tasted to see what it is like, I have find out that the tangerine smell is dominant could not really taste the juniper berries at this stage...
A 2 week maceration is a long time. The alcohol will work hard to extract the citrus essences, especially the tangerine oils. This will make the character dominate the flavor and aroma. I typically macerate but an hour or two. And I put the citrus peel into the vapor path (not the boiler) when distilling.

Two options you could do now while you continue your long maceration: 1) Strain out the citrus peels now (save and put into the vapor path of your riser when you distill it). 2) To increase the juniper quality...add more. Or, gently crush your berries now, if you haven't already.

When you distill the gin, the juniper oils will come over first. A small cut (10 ml) will allow much of them to progress to the product container. But if you keep the first 10 ml in a separate container, you could add a little back to the product (drop by drop) to increase the juniper flavor and aroma. Be careful doing this as the oils are big up front. This process can and likely will add a louche to your product. But, it will dramatically increase the character.

And you actually could run your gin now, instead of waiting another week for the maceration. If after the run the flavors are unbalanced, dilute to 45% and rerun, again adding botanicals to the boiler (long maceration period not necessary). Refrain from adding more citrus to the boiler and put the zest into the vapor path only. It will make it more delicate and less dominant.

And remember, you can always temper your gin with neutral spirit to "soften" the flavors. Finally, the "rest period" after you collect the product (Odin recommends 5 weeks) will help the flavors and aroma to integrate and mature, producing a smooth and complex gin which you'll love to "kiss"...
ss
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much SS, but I do not have a gin basket to put it in the vapor path, so is there anyway that I could do it differently ?, I exactly followed the recipe, do you think I should add more juniper berries, I actually crushed them and put it in the container since day 1 so it has been 1 week, should I distill now and dilute to 45 do you think this will be better ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:.. but I do not have a gin basket to put it in the vapor path, so is there anyway that I could do it differently ?
Sure. There's always a way to do things differently! I don't have a gin basket either.

But, I do have a little ball of copper scrubbie....I put that in the potstill riser just above the boiler attachment, then put the citrus on top of the scrubbie....in the vapor path. Or...you could get a "tea ball" and put your citrus in that and suspend it above the liquid level in the boiler. There have been many, many solutions to this described in these pages if you'd just search for the answers. I get the feeling you just like to be spoonfed all the time.
artooks wrote:I exactly followed the recipe, do you think I should add more juniper berries, I actually crushed them and put it in the container since day 1 so it has been 1 week, should I distill now and dilute to 45 do you think this will be better ?
So, you're the one who said the juniper flavor is low. I have not sampled your spirit with which to make judgement. I simply gave you options to increase the character if you want. I am NOT saying you must do anything. You've got to decide for yourself IF you need to do something and then TRY to do something.

C'mon man, don't be so afraid to try something. We've given you plenty of help to safely produce a product, a product which will help you build a foundation for improvement. Now, get with it....
ss
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

still_stirrin wrote: C'mon man, don't be so afraid to try something. We've given you plenty of help to safely produce a product, a product which will help you build a foundation for improvement. Now, get with it....
ss
We've said it before and will say it again. Don't be afraid to make mistakes (that don't get you in the news :wink: ), it's all part of learning.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Thank you very much SS, just trying to find out how peoples experience
With this recipe, not afraid to make mistakes already did many but finally
I am on track with everyones help in this forum.
KingE
Novice

Post by KingE »

ODIN!!! This is awesome! I just followed your recipe using birdwatchers base. Fantastic. Thanks so much!
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

Just realized that ı used red juniper berries, this is the only one i can find
in my country, would it change a taste it has been 2 weeks and when I taste
İt is still has a strong tangerine smell will the juniper taste come out after 5 weeks ?
This recipe uses Black Colombus juniper berries will this change the overall taste using red Juniper
Berries.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Guys,

I want to make gin but it is not the season for tangerine I can only find Orange can I use it as a substitute ?

Also, after trying and really liking Odin's easy gin, I want to try another recipe which more botanicals can someone please share a recipe that is tried and liked ?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

artooks wrote:Guys,

I want to make gin but it is not the season for tangerine I can only find Orange can I use it as a substitute ?
Sure..."grow a pair". It's time to begin your learning of recipe formulation. Since oranges are not as flavorful as tangerines, you may need slightly more zest. But you need to learn how to adjust a recipe for your taste. Practice and experience will help you hone your skills now. You don't need to be spoon fed by us anymore.
artooks wrote:Also, after trying and really liking Odin's easy gin, I want to try another recipe which more botanicals can someone please share a recipe that is tried and liked ?
Ditto above. It's time to "put on your big boy pants". From now on the best learning is for you to "try it and see". There is more than enough discussion in this thread alone to calm your "newby" jitters.

Welcome to "the club".
ss
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Dear SS,

Ok thank you very much.
thepopeofantelope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by thepopeofantelope »

Also, after trying and really liking Odin's easy gin, I want to try another recipe which more botanicals can someone please share a recipe that is tried and liked ?
I have been spoon fed from veterans of this forum and other forums through email that helped me build, rebuild, and tweak my current CCVM and pot still. I'm grateful for their patience and help. I'm sure some of their advice would start flame wars but it is solid and worked for me.

I scoured every forum for gin recipes and added certain ones to a spreadsheet to compare the ratio of top botanicals to ethanol, macerating time, and tasting notes. The information varied too wildly to be useful. Their gin was probably as good as they claimed but made on different stills, a factor I cannot compare. I did decide to use the median of 50g juniper and 25g coriander to 3l ETH. My first several batch tasted like Ozu from too much licorice, anise, and fennel. I cut the weight of these in half and knocked out an excellent gin(on my still). Ethbros beg for a to go jar. Here's the recipe:
3l 92% diluted to 35%
50g Juniper
25g Coriander
.5 grams Fennel seed
1 Star Anise arm
4 grams cimmanon bark
5 grams angelica root
5 grams Licorice root dried
.5 grams Orris Root powder
Macerate 18 hours in 600ml of neutral(of the 3l).
Botanicals in boiler.

After wasting a wash on licorice liquor, I decided to make 1l batches to dial in recipes. I switched to an 8l boiler and used Odin's recipe as a base to scale and used the botanicals on Plymouth's page with my ratio.
1 liter of 50% + .2l water
18g juniper berries
8g coriander
.4g cardamom
3g angelica root
.4g oris root
.5g lemon peel(peeled with a potato peeler - no pith)
.5g orange peel(a type of tangerine from a high-end organic food coop)
Throw away first 10ml. Collect 400ml and dilute to drinking strength(start with 50%).

It is very decent but not great nor anything like Plymouth. But I didn't make 8-10l of throw away.

I use these recipes to make a liter of gin for friends to take home when over for a bbq.

Ultimately SS is correct, you need to step up.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

thepopeofantelope wrote:

I have been spoon fed from veterans of this forum and other forums through email that helped me build, rebuild, and tweak my current CCVM and pot still. I'm grateful for their patience and help. I'm sure some of their advice would start flame wars but it is solid and worked for me.

I scoured every forum for gin recipes and added certain ones to a spreadsheet to compare the ratio of top botanicals to ethanol, macerating time, and tasting notes. The information varied too wildly to be useful. Their gin was probably as good as they claimed but made on different stills, a factor I cannot compare. I did decide to use the median of 50g juniper and 25g coriander to 3l ETH. My first several batch tasted like Ozu from too much licorice, anise, and fennel. I cut the weight of these in half and knocked out an excellent gin(on my still). Ethbros beg for a to go jar. Here's the recipe:
3l 92% diluted to 35%
50g Juniper
25g Coriander
.5 grams Fennel seed
1 Star Anise arm
4 grams cimmanon bark
5 grams angelica root
5 grams Licorice root dried
.5 grams Orris Root powder
Macerate 18 hours in 600ml of neutral(of the 3l).
Botanicals in boiler.

After wasting a wash on licorice liquor, I decided to make 1l batches to dial in recipes. I switched to an 8l boiler and used Odin's recipe as a base to scale and used the botanicals on Plymouth's page with my ratio.
1 liter of 50% + .2l water
18g juniper berries
8g coriander
.4g cardamom
3g angelica root
.4g oris root
.5g lemon peel(peeled with a potato peeler - no pith)
.5g orange peel(a type of tangerine from a high-end organic food coop)
Throw away first 10ml. Collect 400ml and dilute to drinking strength(start with 50%).

It is very decent but not great nor anything like Plymouth. But I didn't make 8-10l of throw away.

I use these recipes to make a liter of gin for friends to take home when over for a bbq.

Ultimately SS is correct, you need to step up.

Thanks I will try do create my unique gin, lets see thank you very much for the recipe, it will also help me.