Odin's Easy Gin

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

artooks
Trainee

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by artooks »

Guys,

I want to understand something, I tried Odin's easy gin 2 times and it really is great after 4 weeks the smell is incredible, its just that the juniper is not dominant like in Gordon or Hendricks so I am trying to find the reason for that, this recipe calls for Juniperus Communis, but all I can find after visiting many botanical shops is the one in the picture it is red in color, all they tell me is this is the one that is suitable for consumption, but I would be happy if any of you know this type of juniper, and if this is suitable for Odin's Easy gin recipe,
Attachments
rsz_img_9363.jpg
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Try Wikipedia :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniperus_communis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi Pikey, I am trying to find out if anyone used this type of Juniper in their gin. from what I experienced it smells good after 5 weeks but the Juniper is not dominant. Maybe I have to increase the amount to get the same effect.
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

That looks a lot like Juniperus virginiana. It won't kill you, but it's rather lacking in flavor compared to J. communis. However, I wouldn't trust my ability to identify it definitely from a photo and if the store cannot tell you what specific variety it is, I would be cautious about using it.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

They just tell me that it is Juniper seeds, they sell it in a package for making Juniper Tea :) I wonder what would be their reaction if they knew that I used them to make 2 batches of gin, as you said sweeps it is lacking in Juniper flavour.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Judging by the picture it definitely is NOT Juniperus communis.
See for example: http://www.bremmer-boomkwekerijen.nl/pl ... is-/40/130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Of course is the ginrecipe versatile enough to experiment with new ingredients that replace the known ones. Like aniseseed and star anise or orange rind for tangerine. But that always forces you to change the amounts. No problem, if you are aware of that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

I find I need to chop the juniper out to get a realyl strong juniper/english liek gin... If left whole.. its not a dominant.. Both are great gin's just depends what your after.

I use the food processor to chop up the juniper berries. Not pulverizied, just chopped in 3-6 pieces.. then soak for about 4 weeks and stain and run. Also keep in mind different batches of juniper are different depending on when and were is was picked. The first stuff I got was nicer than the last few batches..

I also cut the Tangerines peal down. I did full recipe about 66% and then cut to about 50%.. 66% tangerine skins was a bit much and 50% was a little light for me..

Also keep in mind whatever setup you use will change things a little. I borrowed an air still to run small test batches and perfect the recipe for me.. but then when I upped the recipe and did 26l worth, It was a little softer gin than other batches. But because I needed to add a little water to ensure element did not go dry at end of run.

B
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

artooks wrote:Guys,

I want to understand something, I tried Odin's easy gin 2 times and it really is great after 4 weeks the smell is incredible, its just that the juniper is not dominant like in Gordon or Hendricks so I am trying to find the reason for that, this recipe calls for Juniperus Communis, but all I can find after visiting many botanical shops is the one in the picture it is red in color, all they tell me is this is the one that is suitable for consumption, but I would be happy if any of you know this type of juniper, and if this is suitable for Odin's Easy gin recipe,
I have no idea what it is, but if it doesn't make nice gin, then, obviously, it isn't suitable for Odin's Easy gin recipe and you are going to have to up your game and invent Artooks' Slightly More Difficult gin recipe.

Have you chewed one? If they don't have the flavor you need, you will have to find the right one. If it does, but it isn't strong, either use more or make a batch of essence to blend into your gins.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

NZChris wrote:....up your game and invent Artooks' Slightly More Difficult gin recipe.
:ebiggrin: :wtf: :clap:
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi NZ Chris, yes I chewed one actually yesterday a friend of mine brought me 50grams from Italy, the difference is like black and white, the red ones has taste but much less, so in this case I have to up the amount of red juniper berries, will try as you and Still_Stirrin recommended and you are %100 right gin is all about making it in a unique way that suite your taste its just that I have not much experience on how to decide what to keep and the amount but I read the thread and some other threads, I want to create a gin with a similar taste to Bombay so by using Zymury's formule and checking what they used in Bombay I come up with this amounts.

- Juniper Berries: 20 grams
- Lemon Peel: 0.2 grams
- Coriander: 10 grams - Arifoğlu
- Angelica Root: 2 grams
- Orris Root: 0.2 grams
- Grains of Paradise: 2 grams
- Cubeb Berries: 2 grams
- Cassia Bark: 2 grams
- Almonds: 2 grams
- Liquorice: 2 grams

I hope I am doing it right let's see
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Thanks Odin & Ma Flodder!
I am a newbie, fermenting virgin wash now.
But as the wife's favorite drink is Bombay Saphire, it might be the only way to let her know about my new hobby without her kicking my ENTIRE ass!
I have a small 5 gal copper pot with doubler.
Seems I could run sugar wash with thumper as stripping run.
Then run through again with botanicals in the thumper. ??
Any suggestions or changes in recipe above for the Saphire taste?
Thanks
BB
:mrgreen:
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you can get a nice neutral cut with one run, you should be ok.

If you want Bombay Sapphire, Odin's Easy Gin won't make it, neither will the above recipe. Search forums for a closer herb bill and method and don't forget to read the list printed on their bottles.
artooks
Trainee

Post by artooks »

Hi,

I have checked what they use in Bombay Sapphire, I also have a bottle it is also shown there as well,

these are the 10 botanicals they use:

Juniper Berries
- Lemon Peel
- Coriander
- Angelica Root
- Orris Root
- Grains of Paradise
- Cubeb Berries
- Cassia Bark
- Almonds
- Liquorice

ı am also attaching the image shot from the site, but all I could find is the Zymurgy Bobs Botanical calculations, this is what I did above but I know that is cannot be that simple, so if anyone could make a suggestion also about this recipe, if they tried, I would be grateful. I mean by extending Odin's Gin recipe.
Attachments
rsz_screen_shot_2017-06-20_at_103540.jpg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

if you want advice on Bombay gin, search the forum for a thread, or start a new one.
I have that botanical list etched in glass cut from a bottle that is part of a stained glass door at the entrance to my distillery, but I don't see Bombay as being a couple of tweaks away from Odin's Easy Gin, so I won't discuss it in this thread.
SAS777
Novice

Post by SAS777 »

I want to try making my first batch of gin next weekend, and I'm so glad I found this thread!

Over the last few months, I have been researching everywhere you could imagine on how to make gin, from books, YouTube, and the internet (including this site). I must have over looked this thread when I was searching, glad I found it now.

During my search, "Odin's Easy Gin" receipt is exactly the type of receipt I was hoping to fined!

The only thing I would like to add to the receipt, is pinion/pine nuts. I love pinion nuts, and think it would be a great addition (for me anyway).

Has anyone tried adding pinion/pine nuts instead of almonds to their gin?
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

The thing with gin is that *you* choose your botanicals, there isn't a fixed list to pick from. Can't comment on the pine, sorry.
Forest_Still
Novice

Post by Forest_Still »

Sorry it's not quite on topic as I have been trying to vapour infuse, I think this is the place to find gin experts :thumbup:

After taking the heads I put a bag of botanicals in the top of my column, I was getting great product out until about half way through when it started coming out yellow.

I kept the yellow to one side removed the bag and finished without the botanicals.

Did a second run with a much finer filter bag but exactly the same again, this time I left the yellow in because it was full of flavour and finished the run with no bag. The final product only had a slight yellow tinge by the end of the run.

I used a Plymouth gin mix of:

Juniper - 10g
Coriander - 5g
Angelica root - 1g
peel - pinch
Orris root - 1g
Cardamon - 1g

Small batch, just 10l of wash and small bag of flavour as you can see from the quantities.

All this was lightly crushed in a mortar and pestle and put in a bag at the very top of my column.

Anyone tried vapour infusion before? Do I need to give up and chuck the bag in the pot instead? Or do I just need to accept it will be yellow due to the oil and live with it?
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

20170810_161023.jpg
Not sure where Artooks is located but I found this juniper, coriander and cardamom at World Foods yesterday. certainly looks to be the right stuff and the Juniper was 2.99 for the one ounce bag, less for the other two. I also went to a local health food store which had loose Botanicals for $15 a pound. Bought half an ounce of licorice which seems to be more than enough. it cost $0.66 .
Happy Camper

:mrgreen:
Last edited by TDick on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Forest_Still wrote:Sorry it's not quite on topic as I have been trying to vapour infuse, I think this is the place to find gin experts :thumbup:
Your post is a good example of why Odin posted his Easy Gin method for us.

I suggest you find, or start, a thread on vapor infusion to get advice on that subject.
shakeme2
Novice

Post by shakeme2 »

Hi Pals,

serious Problems

As it's not time for tangerines I can't buy them. How about ...
Using Tangerine Oil made from peels, would it work? Will the oil dissolve in alcohol?
Replacing Tangerines with Oranges witch i can buy.

As my TPW Alc is already at 80% should I dilute it to 43% and distille it then?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

shakeme2 wrote:How about ...
Using Tangerine Oil made from peels,
Replacing Tangerines with Oranges witch i can buy. <--- best option

As my TPW Alc is already at 80% should I dilute it to 43% and distille it then?
Yes, that's what you do.
shakeme2
Novice

Post by shakeme2 »

@still_stirrin
Thanks for you fast responce. So i'll go with the oranges.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

shakeme2 wrote:...So, I'll go with the oranges...
Use the zest in the vapor path, not in the boiler. The citrus zest gives up its essence quite readily, so you don't need excessive amounts. Also, use a little lemon zest too...it'll compliments the orange zest in the finished gin (subtle complexity).

Tangerines are very flavorful with a subtle sweetness. They are nice to use in a gin. But orange and lemon zest work well too. So, give them a try now and when the tangerines are available, try those. After all, you can't have too much gin, right?
ss
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

still_stirrin wrote: After all, you can't have too much gin, right? ss
That is correct!!
guest5234
Novice

Post by guest5234 »

I used odins recipe and made a great gin, have started to experiment with more herbs and made even better gin, there is no magic recipe just your imagination and experience, I lightly crush my botanicals and leave them overnight after slightly heating the wash,I then do a slow spirit run with botanical left in except for the orange lemon peel which seemed to give a slight haze when finished gin was watered down.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Didn't like the look of my Mandarin on the day, so I decided on a last minute substitute with a mature Rangpur Lime (have a tree full of them going to waste).
Can highly recommend!
SAS777
Novice

Post by SAS777 »

SAS777 wrote:I want to try making my first batch of gin next weekend, and I'm so glad I found this thread!

Over the last few months, I have been researching everywhere you could imagine on how to make gin, from books, YouTube, and the internet (including this site). I must have over looked this thread when I was searching, glad I found it now.

During my search, "Odin's Easy Gin" receipt is exactly the type of receipt I was hoping to fined!

The only thing I would like to add to the receipt, is pinion/pine nuts. I love pinion nuts, and think it would be a great addition (for me anyway).

Has anyone tried adding pinion/pine nuts instead of almonds to their gin?
This is an update on my question about using pinion/pine nuts in gin.

What I learned, was use them sparingly, they are very oily! I added to many, and the flavor of the pine nuts overpowered some of the other botanical's. And the oil from the nuts made the gin cloudy, almost like lemonade.

Not only was it cloudy, it tasted horrible! I thought that I would have to through it out. Instead, I added more juniper berries and re-ran it slowly through my copper still.
It came out Great! I've shared some with some of my friends, and they loved it. My wife doesn't like hard liquor, but she loves the gin I made mixed with tonic and lime.

Next time, I wont go so crazy with the nuts! :crazy:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I miss Odin.

Geof
The Baker
ImperatorMing
Novice

Post by ImperatorMing »

@thebaker: Where is he then?
Just doing my first run with Odins recipe after a few I figured out on my own never really quite hit the mark... and it smells wonderfully. Maybe a bit too fruity, but I put Orange and Lemon zest in instead of tangerine...
I'm so happy because this looks (and smells) really promising... :)
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Been very busy, guys. Business is going like crazy. Opened a new educational center. Designed some new products for the distiller, yes, usable for gin distilling. Also, having been struck with pneumonia a year ago, it took me months to recover. And after recovery came priorities: become better at delegating (check), spend more time having fun in the "now" (check), and get my health and physical condition back up (work in progress).

Anyhow, here I am. I'll try to dive in every now and then to see how "my" threads are doing and if any help is needed.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.