Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Durhommer
Distiller

Re: Jimbo's Single Malt AG Recipe

Post by Durhommer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:22 am

20201004_092013.jpg
This is my cap on day one is this right
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:39 am

Looks fine, whats your temperature? Keep it under 75F
Two hours after pitching
Two hours after pitching
14 hours after.
14 hours after.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:47 am

It was warmer than the room but 67. I can feel the propagation of yeast when I touch the barrel take more pics of the process along your way would ya its always nice to have visual learning with the words I whipped the shit out of mine to get air into it

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:56 am

Looks fine. Your ferment would have been faster if you made a starter, but its fine. My cap has completely fallen, and its down to 1.005 and still bubbling but starting to clear. I'll run it next weekend.
20201003_193110.jpg

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:15 am

Looks good there I like to rack and let it settle before I run what do you do and your cap just fell no meddling with it?

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am

Fell in slowly on its own. I won't rack, the first 10 gallons off the top will go straight into the still. I'll pull off the rest while that strips, squeeze the grains and run the rest cloudy. Low wines will get run the next day or whenever I have time. This my first AG, so I'm still not sure what to expect other than what I've read here. I run propane so I'm not concerned with a scorch from cloudy runs.

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:34 am

I use electric and I run them slow it works for me it's just the first time I've followed this recipe I've always squeeze before fermenting

cg81
Novice

Post by cg81 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently working through my first attempt at this recipe and am wondering if I have an issue.
12g water
24lbs malt
4.5 tsp gypsum
18-20g DADY

Like a bonehead I forgot to take an OG. I posted some pics in another thread about some mold/powder that has formed on top and the consensus seems to be that it is fine. Its been around 75degrees the whole time. Today, the SG is about 1.02 and has a PH of 3.75. Normally I ferment in carboys with airlocks so can use those to gauge co2 but I did this batch in a brute can so its tough to tell. I don't really see any bubbling anymore. Have I stalled it out? Thoughts? Thanks!

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:07 pm

My first 23 gallons finished at 1.000 and the 2nd at 1.002. Starting my 3rd tomorrow. Havent had a problem yet with one stalling. But I haven't had any growth in mine yet either.

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:52 am

cg81 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm
Have I stalled it out? Thoughts? Thanks!
The pH is low and the temperature is too cool for DADY. I'd run it with a FG of 1.002 but you should better manage both properties in your next batch.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:52 am

:lolno: What they said run the clear beer then figure on how you're gonna get the slop beer clear

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:03 am

I use this loosely as my base for my ag runs and it works

cees
Novice

Post by cees » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:47 am

Hi, so I've tried this recipe for the 3rd time now but have some different strip run results than before..

I started with 40 liters of peated malt (on the grain) with an OG of 1.06, it finished fermenting in about 10 days at 1.008 so time to strip (and I might have been a little impatient waiting for the settlement of the 2nd pull from the mash) with my ss keg packed with 2 pieces of copper mesh.

Strip run started as clear distillate and after an hour or so it turned a little blueish (hard to notice, like a hue). I decided to stop and check my copper. The lowest copper mesh pack had all some sort of grayish droplets on it, it looked like tin solder droplets but then very 'watery'. I tried to search what it could be but found nothing, or maybe I'm using the wrong keywords :?
The gray 'droplets' on the copper.
The gray 'droplets' on the copper.
My first and only thought was, there is too much yeast in the still (as I read before this can result in blue distillate?) so I decided to remove the copper from the still and see what happens... Pfff, the smell was unbearable, maybe like rotten eggs? Sulfite. So as a test (don't think this distillate is drinkable anymore) I returned the now rinsed copper and the stinky smell disappeared but as I expected the same grayish gunk was also on the copper again after the run finished.
Copper after rinsing with water.
Copper after rinsing with water.
The resulting distillate is not blue, a little hazy but that is to be expected. Afterwards I cleaned the copper with vinegar/water and this resulted in quite a blue hue in the water.
Copper in vinegar 30 minutes or so.
Copper in vinegar 30 minutes or so.

So I'm guessing too many yeast in the still, but I really have no clue what the grayish gunk is.. Between neutral runs I only clean the copper with water and dry it, maybe I should clean it more often with vinegar :eh:

What do you guys think?

Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:07 pm

I'd clean my entire still out steam run it with vinegar and water then do another sacrifice run that's about all I can say about that I've not had that cept for on my initial cleaning run a long time ago