Odin's Easy Gin

Moderator: Site Moderator

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Odin »

So let's make some gin and let's not make it complicated. I know a complex gin or genever herbs bill can be pretty intimidating, but why make a gin with a herbs bill longer that the State of the Union? Okay, it sounds interesting, but does it taste interesting? Probably ... not so much. I mean, the more ingredients you add, the less "space" is left for other tastes. Distinguishing between more than 4 or 5 herbs ... I don't know many people who can do that. Another reason to keep it simple? Well, because many people use their gin to make a gin-tonic. So ... let's just make that. An easy gin that may well be perfect for your tonic. A starting point. Why? Because there are many people out there who like gin and/or gin-tonic. Yet, I do not see many easy gin recipes on HD. Especially no simple ones.

I think gin, as a world drink, deserves a recipe. A tried and true one. Well, that's my thinking. If you don't agree, we will find out soon enough. I mean, if nobody joins in on my goal to provide an easy recipe, it will never be a T&T recipe. Is that a problem? No. Because if there is no need for it, why bother? But if there are people out there interested in gin (and statistically there should be), know that I will make it easy for you.

Here we go:
- Take 1 liter of 43% neutral (made from the hearts of a BW, fractionated all bran, etc. fermentation);
- Eat a tangerine and keep the skin;
- Mildly crush 12 grams of juniper berries;
- Mildly crush 3 grams of coriander seeds;
- Add the tangerine skin, the berries and the seeds to the one liter of 43%;
- Let it macerate at room temperature for two weeks;
- After two weeks, filter out the herbs, berries, skins, whatever;
- Distill your one liter of macerated gin in a potstill, do it relatively slowly as in a spirit run;
- Discard the first 10 mls, collect the next 400 mls;
- You will end up with 400 mls at around 70 to 80%;
- Dilute to 45%;
- Give it up to 5 weeks rest in a glass demi-john;
- Drink it!

This recipe is perfectly scalable. If you want to "do" 5 liters, just multiply everything by 5. You can also go for 10, 20, whatever you like.

The only thing that does not need to be scaled up, is the first 10 mls cut. It can stay 10 mls up until 10 liters of 43% gin maceration. If you distill over 10 liters in one go, enlarge this first cut to 20 mls.

What juniper berries to buy?

Try these ones: http://www.amazon.com/Juniper-Berries-W ... B0001VWGK0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

What coriander seeds to buy?

Try these ones: http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Coriande ... B001VNGH4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

What tangerine to use? Does not really matter. Try to find a sort where the skin is relatively loose. Saves you work and will not give you excessive "inside white".

Now, go get them and start making it, so you can make those gin-tonics!

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Jimbo
retired

Re: Odin's Easy Gin

Post by Jimbo »

This is a cleaned up locked and stickied version of this thread. The full thread to comment or ask questions can be found here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48594
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion