Deathwish Wheat germ recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Re: Deathwish Wheat germ recipe

Post by vajravarahi »

In the US at least, proof is twice tralles (or abv = % alcohol by volume). (Let's see if I just put my foot in my mouth or removed all doubt about the level of my ignorance.)
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Yes your right US 100 proof is 50% and British 100 proof is 57.15% witch is "true "proof that gunpowder will ignite at when soaked in spirits (they thought it 50% found out later that it was 57.15% ) that is where the difference came from
Candoublewide
Novice

Post by Candoublewide »

Well its working right now I have 3/4 of a gal colleced and it tastes great :D thanks for all the help cheers
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Dnderhead wrote:Yes your right US 100 proof is 50% and British 100 proof is 57.15% witch is "true "proof that gunpowder will ignite at when soaked in spirits (they thought it 50% found out later that it was 57.15% ) that is where the difference came from
which gunpowder, I wonder? there are so many different types out there that I sorta doubt this temperature is consistent across the spectrum. maybe they used black powder?
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I'm shore it was black powder it was done in 1700s -1800s .I do not thank they had smokeless then and they they did not have hydrometers either
used much like "beading"
Matty3241
Novice

Post by Matty3241 »

hay everyone one nebie here

i have written down the recipe and i cant find anywhere where it tells u how much backers yeast to use. (i am a baker so i have an endless supply) so if anyone can give me tips on how to get the most out of this recpie or just anything to help me with this recipe will be much apperacited.

Thanks everyone
cheers matty
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

Make a one liter starter with about a spoonful of yeast, and pitch it when it begins to get to lively.
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

If you really have an endless supply of bakers yeast pitch a quarter cup of yeast. Starts and finishes real fast! I bought some in bulk and that's what I do.
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
Barney Fife
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Barney Fife »

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but the amount of yeast we pitch won't make for a faster ferment, right? I was lead to believe that yeast multiply quickly at first, until they reach they max allowed by the dissolved oxygen, then stop reproducing and begin consuming sugars to keep from suffocating. With that in mind, how much we pitch only matters in the first couple hours as they reproduce. More would mean they max out sooner, but not by much.

When reusing my trubs/leese(leftovers in the ferment pail), I've not noticed a slower ferment on the second or even 3rd generations, despite not adding ANY new yeast. I keep roughly a gallon of trubs in the bottom of the pail when racking off into the boiler, and add 2 gallons of lukewarm(25C) water to keep the yeast alive during the distill.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Most pitch large amounts of yeast to git it started quick and prevent infections and check your PH it mite be getting low adjust a necessary or stop adding back set for a time or two
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

Barney Fife wrote:If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but the amount of yeast we pitch won't make for a faster ferment, right? I was lead to believe that yeast multiply quickly at first, until they reach they max allowed by the dissolved oxygen, then stop reproducing and begin consuming sugars to keep from suffocating. With that in mind, how much we pitch only matters in the first couple hours as they reproduce. More would mean they max out sooner, but not by much.
That is the theory as well as I know it too, however, I also heard that the reproduction of yeast can lead to a few off flavors, so the less they do so in a ferment the better. There is also a thread somewhere about using more yeast and it was pretty convincing test done by a few members and found pitching the larger amounts of yeast does in fact speed things up more then as is predicted by theory. Can't remember where it is though, but I can get my DWWG to ferment in 3-5 days pitching a quarter cup yeast to a 5 gallon ferment. If you check out a few distilleries sites they also seam to pitch very large amounts of yeast.

MHO: If you've got cheap bulk yeast pitch a good dose, if not make a starter, works almost the same.
Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive.
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

So I'm really new to forum and the hobby. I've seen alot of (seemingly) complicated recipes for washes. This one seems right up my novice alley.
My only question is, the wheat germ that you're using, is this just regular grocery store wheat germ or should I be looking elsewhere?
mbasketcase13
Novice

Post by mbasketcase13 »

just regular ole wheat germ found at most stores in the cereal section and it makes for some good tasting spirits
remember the 7 p's
prior proper planning prevents piss poor
performance
semper fi
jcrawf
Novice

Post by jcrawf »

haha. too easy. I'll be sure to add it to my grocery list. thanks for the help.
Matty3241
Novice

Post by Matty3241 »

Heres the plans the simplest way i can think of if anyone has any tips or want to change anything let me know

Ingredients

10lbs of sugar
16oz of wheat germ
1 tsp of citric
1/4 cup of bakers yeast

Instructions

Put all ingredients (accept yeast) into a 5 gallon pot fill it close to the top with water and let it boil for about 1 and 1/2 hours

Then pour it in your 6 and 1/2 gallon fermentor top it off to 6 gallons total with water let it cool then add yeast

it should ferment in about 3-4 days be careful I have had this recipe blow the bubbler out and put a dent in my ceiling

POT STILL I always throw away about a cup of the heads

I stop it at about 100 (50%) proof that is what I call the drinkable stuff

The tails I will take down to about 20 (40%) proof and rerun it later with a bunch of other tails with my reflux still I run it fast to about 20 (40%) proof get about 12 gallons and run it slow at 75 degrees celcuis at the top of my stack.

I stop pulling it as soon as it starts to drop the rest is tails to me. I feel that this has a very clean smooth scotch flavour this is the most drinkable recipe I have
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Matty3241 wrote: POT STILL I always throw away about a cup of the heads
I for one get more than 250mls of heads, more like a litre and a bit!
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Post by thepatchworkdoll »

Hi Tater tried the DWWG recipe. Going like a bomb. Never seen such a fast and frantic fermentation. looking forward to distilling it soon.
frikz
Novice

Post by frikz »

Started my first batch yesterday but it still aint bubbling. I used one 5 g pack of ec-1118, rehadrated properly and then pitched it in the 25 deg C wash. Now, 18 hours later, it still pretty much doesn't do anything. I know some say the 1118 tends to lag a bit, but I'd say that this is a bit to much? The same happened with some UJSM a few weeks ago. The 1118 didn't do anything but when I sprinkled on some baker's yeast it kicked off in like 2 hours or so, I don't get it.
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Hi Frikz
Put on two batches last weekend . First one on the Saturday morning with the equivalent yeast to the 1118. Secong batch on the Monday morning with plain old bread yeast. Second batch almost finished when tested this morning at 0999. First batch still going at around 1015. Bread yeast is definately faster and much more lively. Will continue to make this lovely wash with the bread yeast.
Regards
thepatchworkdoll
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

I last made DWWG about a year ago and decided that today I'll make some more. Unfortunately I'd forgotten how it foams just on the boil. Anyway, I cleaned the stove and kitchen before the missus came in - she was splitting wood :) - and when she walked in there was some comment about pissheads and their hobbies. :oops:
She seems to have forgotten that she drank it all last time, but I decided not to mention that. Why invite more trouble? :lol:
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

Tater, do you have to boil the sugar for 1-1/2 hrs. along with the wheat germ? (5 gals) Is this inverting the sugar (with the lemon juice).

Is inverting the sugar causing the foam over? would a pinch of Epson Salts help reduce the foam over?

Is this part the key to the recipe, or can I dissolve the sugar in 4 pint batches in warm water then boil up the wheat germ & then add them together in the fermenter?

I ask, because I don’t yet have the facilities to boil safely 5 gal at once.

I was also looking into boiling the wheat germ in a pressure cooker, (at 4 pints) this super heats the steam therefore reducing boiling times? (potatoes boiling at 20 minutes, would take 6 minutes in the pressure cooker)

Or for best results will I have to wait until I have the facilities to boil up 5 gals at one go?

Regards Travis

Hopefully “Still” learning as I go along.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Most stuff forms/ boils over because of solids/surface tension, watch that pressure cooker with cereals!
because of that and swelling then plugging vent!! it is not recommended to cook cereals in one!
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Travis, what I do is very similar to tracker's method as posted on page one of this thread.
I use an eight litre pot and boil the wheat germ, half the sugar and citric acid for 1.5 hours - cleaning up the mess as I go - and pour this into the fermenter. Then I do the same with the rest of the sugar plus citric acid ( but only for around twenty minutes or so) to ensure I have all invert sugar in the ferment. I then top it up with cold water.
I make a bakers yeast starter while the first boil is underway and by the time the wash is cool I have tons of active yeast to add. This way I find that a strong ferment is well under way within a few hours, and is usually finished in a few days.

Maybe this isn't the best way to do it but when we only have a medium size boiler it's the only way to do it. It seems to work for me, but others may have a better solution.

blanik
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)

Cumudgeon and loving it.
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

Has anyone tried making this with dextrose instead of sugar?
Less oak longer
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

Thanks Dnderhead, now I have the idea of using a straining bag tied off to keep the wheat germ together while in the pressure cooker.

Regards Travis
thepatchworkdoll
Swill Maker

Hi Guys
made 8 batches of the DWWG recipe with great success. Lovely recipe. Whats your opinions on fermenting on the wheat germ as opposed to straining it off prior to fermemntation. Your opinions on this matter will be very much appreciated.
thepatchworkdoll
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Wheat germ ends up very much like porridge and I would think it could be very easy to burn, besides, I usually do 2 or 3 ferments from the one batch so I just throw mine out at the end.

Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

Thanks Blanikdog, for the suggestion, also the wheat germ tied in the straining bag has worked in the pressure cooker. The high pressure steam really sucks the goodness out of the wheat germ in a lot less time.

Regards Travis
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Interesting Travis. I'll try using a pressure cooker next time. How long did you cook it for?

blanik

Cumudgeon and loving it.
travis
Novice

Post by travis »

I put 1lb of wheat germ in the straining bag & tied it off, I then added 2ltrs of water in the pressure cooker & boiled it up, as the pressure released (hissed) I ran it for 6 minutes & cooled it with the hose. I drained this then added another ltr. of water & repeated the process, (to sparge it) this rung out all the juice from the wheat germ.

I was pleased with the results, as there was no mess with the wheat germ being loose, the straining bag did a good job with no burning, (again) the high pressure steam really sucks the juice out of the wheat germ.

Regards Travis.