Deathwish Wheat germ recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Make yourself a racking cane and stuff a scourer in the end, and syphon it out. It's quick, easy and effective.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Even after you have siphoned the wash into a clean container, it still pays to wait for a while, 1 or 3 days for the cloudy appearance to clear. This will give you a cleaner spirit with fewer off tastes.
I know how hard it is to resist the temptation to shove it straight in the still but patience is the keyword to good product.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
mikeac
Swill Maker

Post by mikeac »

I make wash the same way I make beer/wine. Start it in a primary fermenter. When foaming is done, rack into a carboy and airlock till clear. distill/bottle....I run on internal elements, so I usually wait till it's nice and clear before I run it.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Are you fellows and girls enjoying the flavor of the death wish wheat germ wash? I do. It is real good as long as you boil it long enough and age it on oak. Good stuff!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Still waiting for the twenty litre one i put down on the 6/10 to finnish fermenting :roll: :evil:
Last week when i checked it was still at 1025. It's still bubbling a couple of bubbles every 5 secs or so.
Might strip it tommorrow anyway, and add to the 6.5 litres of low wines i've got saved from the last lot. Need the fermenter.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

and I thought mine was taking its time, I put mine down on the 16th. Still bubbling away but I cant check the S.G. as my hydrometer lost some of its counterweight thru a hole in the bottom. Gotta wait now until I get to the big smoke.
It does still taste a bit sweet though.
2"x38" Bok mini and
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I like the flavor right before it is done. I have actually bottled the "wine" for friends. It is much better than Boone's farm or Suttter's hill. :D
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

I'm definitley going to make that cane, I read about a "cane" in UJSM but didn't know what it was, thanks for the picture.
Mines been fermenting for 6 days and 2 days ago it was down to 1.017.
I will let it clear then, does it matter what it clears in, plastic pail or glass carboy?
Can you really just bottle the wine from this juice? I will have to try a bit that way them. I did boil it for the 1.5 hours as mentioned in the instructions so I'm looking forward to the final product.
Hey Pintoshine, what type of oak do you reccomened, I don't have any barrels and was hoping to just add some into it for aging?
Thanks for all the help
ER70S-2
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

I'm going to have to try this recipe one of these days.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Re: hmm

Post by new_moonshiner »

Uncle Jesse wrote:I'm going to have to try this recipe one of these days.
you wont be sorry UJ.. since I found it I have threw out all the other sugar wash recipes...this is all there is as far as im concerned ..It works wonderfully. :D
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

I made the racking cane and have sucked as much as the juice out of the fermenting pail that I can. There is about 4" of mash/wheat germ in the bottom of the pail. Do I try to seperate the juice out of this or just throw this away. It seems like an awful waste. If you do deperate this please tell me how as I'm making quite the mess.
Thanks
ER70s-2
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

for separating that last amount, I use an ez-strainer and a 5 gallon bucket. You have to ladle about a quart at a time in the strainer and then shake it. The solids will stay in and you will end up with a ball of solids in the strainer. There will be some cloudiness go through but I have never had it interfere with my submersible element.

http://www.bascousa.com/store/item.aspx ... TEM_ID=469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
ER70S-2
Novice

Post by ER70S-2 »

Thanks Pintoshine,
I'll to get one of those. I used a pair of my wifes panty hoes and they seem to work not too bad, just a tad messy.
Do you reccomend letting it sit to clear before running or do you do straight away?
I like this recipe, my first mash of just sugar and water didn't work out, this one is working great so far!
Regards
ER70S-2
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

What does the product taste like? Is it reminiscent of a whiskey or what?

Everyone's raving about this recipe, and now I'm starting to think that I'm missing out on something... :lol:

Aidas
Nisi te iuvat cibus, plus bibe vini!
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

It is hard to describe. Once it is run it has a light grain taste. Because it is wheat, the grain flavor is very mild and not hot or harsh like corn or rye. Once it is aged on oak it is a very dry flavor. If you are going to age it on oak, make you heads cut early and your tails cut late. This will give it sufficient flavor to not be covered up by the oak. I have done conservative cuts on this before and it comes out more like blended whiskey than a full flavored variety. So you see you can tailor it to your liking.
I added a drop of liquid smoke to some once and it was "peaty" like Scotch.
Experimentation is the key.
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Ran the small fermenter on Friday. Musta been close to fully fermented cause i got 4.4 litres low wines from about 23-24 litre wash from 67% down to 20%.

I'll give it one more try and follow the recipe to a tee. Only thing is my biggest pot i can use inside is only about 8 litres? Can that make the difference not boiling it up in a 5 gal BOP? :?
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

Does anyone boilt their wheatgerm in a smaller pot?
Gotta know as i'm gunna do the cooking this afternoon....
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

I have been thinking about adding a bit of malted grain to this wash but the brew shop said to just sit a half cup of the cracked grain in some hot water for a while then strain the liquid into the wash.
I cant imagine this would make a lot of difference.
I was thinking more along the lines of boiling the malt grain with the wheat germ and leaving it to ferment all together.
Or am I not supposed to boil the grain at all.
Can anyone advise please?
grainhopper
Swill Maker

Post by grainhopper »

I boiled in smaller pot it will be ok. just topp up to recipe in fementer.
Read Please, Try it, Learn!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

grainhopper wrote:I boiled in smaller pot it will be ok. just topp up to recipe in fementer.
Thanks Grainhopper, i brewed it earlier in the week and tried to stick to the recipe as well as i could. Definately got the long boil right, and it's fermenting well, but certainly not the smop that others get. Maybe it's my wheatgerm or somethin, i dunno. See how long the ferment is i spose. :roll:

I have got 12 litres low wines from previous batches i might run it during the week as i'm getting pressure from my whiskey drinking neighbour to make her something.... :?
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

I've bought "wheatgerm" from woolies and also coles. For something that's supposed to be 100% natural, they are very different. I prefer the woolies variety. I guess I'm trying to say that our "wheatgerm" maybe different than our friends in the U.S. Mine don't ferment violently either.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

CoopsOz wrote:I've bought "wheatgerm" from woolies and also coles. For something that's supposed to be 100% natural, they are very different. I prefer the woolies variety. I guess I'm trying to say that our "wheatgerm" maybe different than our friends in the U.S. Mine don't ferment violently either.
Got the first two 1/2 kilo bags from the 'health food shop' @ about 6 bucks a bag.
Got the next few from woolies 'health food' aisle for about two bucks a bag.
Saw em last week in the breakfast aisle for half that again.

I'll try that next time if the product is ok. :shock:
newts
Novice

Post by newts »

A quiery on wheat germ is it the same as the pollard used as a stock feed
newts
Skymeat
Novice

Post by Skymeat »

I put this recipe together sunday night. WAY easier and faster than brewing beer:) As for explosive fermentation I haven't experienced it. The germ I used was local organic stuff, and bakers yeast.

the carboy has a blow off tube in it now and is puking at a regular pace, but nothing i don't see when doing beer.

When i tried to brew beer in the young days and stuck the airlock in right away I had some nasty spills. A blowoff is mandatory for violent fermentation. Perhaps everyone knows this. If not, I just attach a hose in place of the airlock and put it in a bucket of water till it calms down a bit.

Skymeat
I may be surrounded by insanity but I am not insane!
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

newts wrote:A quiery on wheat germ is it the same as the pollard used as a stock feed
newts
Wheat germ is not the same as either bran or pollard.
Get it from the breakfast cereal section of your grocery store.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Skymeat
Novice

Post by Skymeat »

I'm right now cooking another 5 gallon batch of this stuff. It's so easy and cheap it's hard not to.

This is strange, but quite a few of my friends are allergic to gluten. Would it still work if I substituted chick pea flour, or something else, for the wheat germ?

Skymeat
I may be surrounded by insanity but I am not insane!
mtnwalker2
Swill Maker

Post by mtnwalker2 »

Skymeat wrote:I'm right now cooking another 5 gallon batch of this stuff. It's so easy and cheap it's hard not to.

This is strange, but quite a few of my friends are allergic to gluten. Would it still work if I substituted chick pea flour, or something else, for the wheat germ?

Skymeat
As I understand it, wheat germ is extracted from the processing of regular flour (except whole wheat, as it would go rancid much quicker). I would be very surprised, if by its nature it contained gluten. I have tried 3 organic and untoasted varieties,and they didn't react or wern't as satisfying in the end product as Kretschmer toasted. Don't think they were as pure a germ, so possibly could contain some flour and gluten.

I just checked the label on the bottle, and gluten is not listed, which is not saying much, but they have a web site and question link to be able to check out. Then I would search, or ask some of the chemists and bakers here if any form of gluten would survive fermentation and thence distillation. I thiink you are safe, but its worth checking in depth to make sure.

It would be great if this is all true, for your friends enjoyement, but yes, this can be a serious allergy problem.

Pintoshine is the knowledgeable on this.
> "You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a
>habit" Aristotle
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

From the deep dark crevices of my mind, I believe that wheat germ is the endiosperm? (the central germination part of the grain) hence the term 'germ'.
The grain is cracked, the germ extracted and the outside parts of the grain seperated into bran (the outer layer) and pollard or ground into white flour.
Whole grain flour contains all parts of the seed.
This or something very similar.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Still_Crazy
Bootlegger

first DWG for me...

Post by Still_Crazy »

Is anyone using this for a vodka recipe? Just curious, I always make Oak and Vodka plus the Gin is really nice though I've only done one run/recipe of it.

Been off the site a while... but the DWG wheat germ post caught my eye yesterday and like many others I just had to try it. I never saw anything about aeration before adding the yeast. Once boiled, the water will have very little oxygen in it correct? Wouldn't that help get the little beggars going?

I used 3 gal rain water, 1 teaspoon citric acid, and 10lbs table sugar. Boiled it 1.5 hrs and dumped it in my 20gal trash can fermenter. Added rain water to bring it to 6 gal total volume. I did not aerate it but whipped some air in a couple of times and let it rest till cool enough to add the yeast (this morning). Had some RS champagne so trying that this time. Have EC1118 and distillers yeast so will experiment some more soon with another batch. I did not check the SG this time and did not use the chiller to get it down in temp much quicker. I'll keep better records/information on the second batch.

p.s. for this first batch I used Hodgson's Mill untoasted wheat germ. $2.99 / 12oz at the supermarket. It's what I could find in the nearest store. Hodgsons has a site http://www.hodgsonmill.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow and they sell yeast too though I have no idea about it, yet.
~ After all these years, a drop in time helps soothe my mind ~
bronzdragon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronzdragon »

This is still on my list of "recipes to try" but your question about aeration ... yes, aerating the wash/wort is a good thing to do. Boiling removes the O2 as you said. A lot of people either stir vigorously, inject pure O2 or run a air pump into their wash/wort for awhile.

It does help out.

cheers

~r~
"If it weren't for the alcohol, beer would be a healthfood."