Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Birdwatchers sugar wash recipe

Post by NZChris »

Royco wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 amYes Chris I read a lot and some posters recommend just running it anyway.
Some posters are wrong. That is poor advice.
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

Started this wash today, 2.5 hours in it's bubbling nicely. Not ferociously, just a nice steady purr.

I used a champagne yeast instead of baker's yeast, because I can't easily keep my temperature above 30 this time of year.

I might try baker's yeast next time though. I see that some say 20-30C, and I can hit the bottom of that if the weather stays nice, or come in just under that if it gets cold again. I've done a fair bit of fermenting at or just below recommended temps, and the slow ferments have only helped the flavors. Oh, and I don't really mind waiting.

What do you think? Will baker's yeast ferment, slowly, at ~18C? I start around 30C.
CoogeeBoy
Rumrunner

Post by CoogeeBoy »

HDTV wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:04 am
What do you think? Will baker's yeast ferment, slowly, at ~18C? I start around 30C.
Too slowly, I was going around 22C and it took way too long.
Taking a break while I get a new still completed....
HDTV
Novice

Post by HDTV »

CoogeeBoy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm Too slowly, I was going around 22C and it took way too long.
Makes sense. My Turbo washes take 2 weeks, I guess I don't really wanna know how long it will take with bakers yeast. I guess it's champagne yeast until the weather warms up.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Post by Squirrel_Ess_Gen »

I'm in day 16 of my 1st two attempts at Birdeatchers. Checked my gravity a few mins ago and thankfully it will be done tommrow. It's fairly close to 1.000. SG was 1.090 ( I know a bit high)

I used 2 separate 5g buckets: one with Fleishmans the other with Red Star.

Fleishemans seems to be further ahead and cleaner looking.

Checked my temp and I'm at 76F. So I will probably be going out today to buy a light or a small heater.
Tasgrasshopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tasgrasshopper »

Started my first birdwatchers today ended up 26 Litres SG at 1.073, ferment heater set at 25 C, Rain water and bakers yeast, used the recipe from the first post and it's rolling along at a steady pace 5 hours in.
Tasgrasshopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tasgrasshopper »

Day 4 SG at 1.010 PH at 4.5 after addition of 2 teaspoons of calcium carbonate on day 2, I would have used oyster shells as i live by the coast but i have a 25kg bag of calcium carbonate to use up.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Ran my 1st Birdwatchers a few days ago with my new controller from Stilldragon.

I initially came here and pulled the trigger because of George, so naturally I had a PID. I've read all the the threads and took heed to what everyone says.

Anywho.

Man...the speed at which my still was pumping out product was great ( Stripping run)

I dont know exactly how long it took my ferment to finish because it was in an air conditioned environment, my guess is 2.5 werks. Since then I have found a better place.

Got rid of 300ml forshots and starting practicing on my cuts. I know this is a strip but I touched/smelled/tasted alot.

What I'm sure is the hearts had a blackberry/blueberry character and an abv of 140. From a 5 gallon ferment at 1.090 I ended up keeping a little over a half gallon. I know i left alot of alcohol still in there . I have 2 more finished ferments to strip so I can do s spirit run.

The taste of the heats were Very Very Very neutral.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Did my 2nd strip run. Looks like I have about about 1.5gallons of low wines. Getting to impatient to wait for another stripping run on a new bsch ( I know, patient mans game)

I plan on refluxing it.

My question is should I let the low wines air out for a few days before spirit3eun? Or eff it and let her RIP?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Let it rip. :thumbup:
No benifit in airing low wines that im aware of.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Redluxed to 190 and proofed down to 80.

It taste like vodka, albeit sweet, it smells like vodka but I have to drink alot! To get s buzz. Wiered.

Let the lady folk taste it to make a lemon drop and got good reviews but she said she also didnt feel anything.

Have 3 literes making SPD.

Another batch I have 1.5 gallons of low wines waiting on some ferments to finish. I may distill this one 4x....I had some tails in my 1st batch.

But for less than 20.00 in materials not bad. I need to start looking for a method to heat my fermenters...
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Squirrel_Ess_Gen wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:29 am
It taste like vodka, albeit sweet, it smells like vodka but I have to drink alot! To get s buzz. Wiered.

Let the lady folk taste it to make a lemon drop and got good reviews but she said she also didnt feel anything.
I have found the effects of homemade hooch with good cuts / processes differ from commercial product a fair bit. You feel less buzz but I assure you you are plenty impaired. I learned the hard way how quick my likker would be down the road with my dignity without my knowledge or consent.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

I just put a trial wash into a 25ltr bucket to try.its my 1st time. Liquid was about 110mm from the lid.after an hour I have already got foam upto about half that distance. I have a bubbler so have put that on the lid also and closed it,does this matter? Op says to just leave lid on top loosely.
Will this foam over? If it gets too high is it ok to scoop some of the foam off the top?
PS: it's too late,I had to scoop some of it off the top. It was touching the lid
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Don't put a bubbler on a wash with a chance of puking as it can cause the puke to hit the ceiling.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It shouldnt matter to much, ive always used fermeters with lids and airlocks when making Birdwatchers... never had a problem.
Might be an idea to lower the level of the liquid in the fermenter some though.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

It's all good now guys. Just checked this morning and it's still bubbling away nicely. One thing,should it be gently stirred each day just now?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

No need at all to stir.....keep it warm and leave it be till it doesn't taste sweet any more.
Poke a finger in and have a taste now so that you have something to compare to in coming days.
Alkyholik
Novice

Post by Alkyholik »

Thanks bill.appreciate it
LaissezPasser
Novice

Post by LaissezPasser »

Does anyone have any insight as to why my SG is going up? I’m on day 2 of a birdwatcher’s ferment using EC-1118; my starting SG was 1.08, and today it’s 1.09. The wash was the same temperature each day at the time of measurement, and has been kept stable with an aquarium heater. I took a picture of the hydrometer each time, so I know so I know it’s not a recording error.

The only hypothesis I have — unsupported by any evidence — is that the bubbles are nucleating on the hydrometer, generating lift. I don’t actually see this happening in the graduated cylinder, though.

The same thing happened to me several months ago with a previous birdwatcher’s wash, also using EC-1118, where the SG increased for several days despite nothing being added and a consistent temperature.

Anyone have insights on why my SG is increasing?
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Hi All.
Just started my first batch of BWs five days ago.
Hoping to get away from the cost and taste of the turbos.
Here is my material list..... 26L batch

6kg white sugar
310 ml tomato paste
1 large pinch Epsom salt
Liquid from 1 lemon
1/2cup bakers yeast.

SG . 1.082
Pitched yeast at 35c
Maintaining between 32c to 35c
Constant bubbling for last 4days every 1 to 3 seconds

I'm excited. This is my first non turbo sugar wash

1 question.
Roughly how long should my ferment last ?

Thanks.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

2ndstill wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:41 am 6kg white sugar
310 ml tomato paste
1 large pinch Epsom salt
Liquid from 1 lemon
1/2cup bakers yeast.

Maintaining between 32c to 35c
Constant bubbling for last 4days every 1 to 3 seconds

1 question.
Roughly how long should my ferment last ?
You will get better result using 4.5 - 5 K sugar.. temp on the high side somewhat, best maintain at 30 - 32c for bread yeast..
At 6K of sugar, expect at least 7 - 8 days if not more due to high sugar level being so high..
Check Ph of water, and lemon juice requires very little since tomato paste is acidic on it own already..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Undies
Bootlegger

Post by Undies »

StillerBoy wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:23 pmYou will get better result using 4.5 - 5 K sugar..
True. If you're using the calculator online, this sugar qty is for a maximum only. Rarely would you need that much per batch.

IE for your 26l batch, the calculator indicates 5.9kg, but as SB said, under 5kg is more likely ideal for you.
Birdwatchers ingredients calculator: https://birdwatchers.info/
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Ok thanks for tips. I know I was on the higher end of the sugar amount , just hoping with the added water that it will workout. I think I'm actually at 27 litres.
I think it is almost done. I'll probably distill it in about a week. Just trying to Source some electrical parts for my keg.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Update..
So it seems it is completely done.
It has fermented down to 0.093 including temp correction. But the bubbler is still bubbling about every 30seconds . Should I give it a few more days ?
I'm in no rush. Or does it matter ?
Thanks.
Undies
Bootlegger

Post by Undies »

I'd let it finish. I let is sit for a a few weeks to a month to let it all settle so you don't get sediment in your boiler.
Also, if you use too much sugar, you get a higher alcohol yield, but you'll start to get off flavors coming through. I think general consensus is to aim for 1.070 SG.
Birdwatchers ingredients calculator: https://birdwatchers.info/
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

The original recipe had a 1.090 sg. (Pg1)
I think I'll be ok.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Well this guy is super happy with the outcome.
Ran this today. I WILL NEVER BUY TURBO YEAST AGAIN.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

LaissezPasser wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:12 pm Does anyone have any insight as to why my SG is going up? I’m on day 2 of a birdwatcher’s ferment using EC-1118; my starting SG was 1.08, and today it’s 1.09.
The C02 is pushing the the hydrometer up..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
elkay2882
Novice

Post by elkay2882 »

Why do we use tomato paste and lemon in the wash? What is the significance?
Yeast dont do well without some form of nutrients.
LaissezPasser
Novice

Post by LaissezPasser »

I just finished my eighth run of Birdwatcher's and, having experimented with a few things, I just want to share my experiences:

1) My setup has always been a 5 gallon still with a worm condenser. On stripping runs, it maxes out at 60 percent ABV; spirit runs max out at 91 percent ABV. Bottom line: With this setup, Birdwatcher's has a flavor, and that flavor makes it into the distillate. The first few times I distilled BW, friends said the distillate smelled and tasted "yeasty." Since then, I've been much more careful, when pouring wash from fermenting buckets into the stock pot, to remove any floating bits of tomato paste or yeast that's sunk to the bottom. Clearing the wash, I've found, is crucial.

2) EC-1118 takes long AF to finish fermenting. Even when I use an aquarium heater, pitch it according to manufacturer specs, and give it ideal conditions for fermentation, it takes at least 20 days to reach 1.0 SG. Baker's yeast finishes faster, given the right conditions. However, I've found that distillate from EC-1118 tastes *so* much better.

3) For cuts, I've found that 200ml for heads is insufficient. I discard the first 400ml of a 5 gallon run.

4) 2–3 tablespoons of calcium carbonate for a 5 gallon wash *before pitching* works wonders in preventing a pH crash.

Your results may vary, but this is what I've learned so far.