Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks for the input, woodshed. I am using feed corn so it is a possibility. I'll give the vitamin a try next mash. Although like I said, it doesn't seem to be a problem after day three and finishes off well.

Nice website, btw. You going to have any pics up of your distillery at some point? Would love to see it! (hopefully in person for meeting of the minds).
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

moosemilk wrote:
woodshed wrote:Moose, I'm curious how you brought it off the still? Knowing so would only help others. Everyone trying the recipe with different protocols serves to further the recipe and variations of the theme.
I can't quote temps as I don't use therm. I run a simple pot still, no thumper.

Started the run with 10 gallon wash. My ABV of the wash (based on my OG) was low at 5% due to a momentary lapse and used imperial gallons of water without compensating for extra corn.

I cranked the heat up high (propane turkey burner) until I felt the vapor just hitting the lyne arm. Then I turn it down low and collect my fors at a very slow broken stream. Just to be safe, I always toss 1 cup (250ml) per 5 gallons of wash (approx 20L), so 500ml or 2 cups in this case. I probably could have gone less, but a little more early heads tossed is no biggie (just more lighter fluid) .

After the fors, the heat is turned up to a thin stream, about as thick as a wooden match/pencil lead. I collected about 3 1/2 pints (1.75 L) of heads. Jar three wasn't bad, but for some reason the 250ml (1/2 pint) that came next did not taste good at all. There was a real bite to it, but not hot on the tongue, perhaps some smearing of late heads to hearts cut.

The next was the beginning of hearts, with just a touch of late heads but not the unpleasant taste that just finished. I collected about 3 pints (1.5L) of hearts that were almost like water/ethanol but a slight caramel sweetness to them.

The next two pints collected were absolutely full of that buttery sweet corn flavor and aroma. I could drink those alone! But they deserve to be blended to share the flavor. The next half pint the flavor started dropping but still enough that I'll probably use it.

After this, the next jar started to show the oils on top and begin to get cloudy, so I turned the heat back up and collected a little over a quart and half (about 1.75L) before it pretty much tasted like water and shut down.

After letting the jars air for a bit, jar #3 actually mellowed out a lot and while I don't t like heads, I may use a little if it blends well as there are some nice flavors. I usually double pot distill now, but wanted to try single run on this first. I have more bubbling waiting to run where I will save enough to double. I'm hoping it holds that sweet butter flavor towards the end when I do. I figure it should as I do strip runs deep into the tails, so my total collected ends up 25-30% over-all, and no need to dilute to double.

As for abv collected, I haven't checked. I have a proof and tralle, but rarely use it until after blending.
Great write up moosemilk. Thanks for that. We run our product through vastly different protocols yet achieve the same end result, goodness.
I run through a 4 plate 4" column and find the best product at 67% ABV.
That number is a reoccurring theme through most of my likker. Blended with 80% and 40% gives me just the flavor profile I look for.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Woodshed, is your product available in Minnesota at all? I do frequent trips to Minneapolis/St.Paul and would really like to try your product if possible. That's without waiting for the S3 meet. My wife has given me the go-ahead even if on my own (taking her to Cher, sending her and her sis to bon Jovi, sending her to Reba, motley crue...all paid off for me...take notes guys lol). Trying your product I feel would benefit how this recipe should come out.
surfanarchist
Novice

Post by surfanarchist »

Hi all, I'm new, introduced myself a month ago, and this is my second post. I have a fair amount of alpha amylase & gluco amylase powdered enzymes that I picked up to do a run of Uncle Remus Rice Vodka. Has anyone tried using the powdered enzymes for this recipe? Any opinion on whether powdered enzymes would work for this? If so what would be the conversion factor from the recommended amount of liquid to powdered enzyme?

Just as a side note a followed the recipe for Birdwatchers suger wash and I had great results - in fermenting, stripping and spirit running. Gleaned about 2+ gallons of very nice vodka. It was a good project to learn from. Thanks to all who built this repository of information.

Elwood
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I cannot get good conversion on this mash. I am stuck in the mid-30s to mid-40s.
16.5# cracked corn into a 6 gallon round igloo cooler. Poured 3 gallons boiling washback (not back set, but washback - the final sparging I did from the previous mashing.)
Let set 4 hours in sealed cooler.
Poured that hot mess into my 30gal, insulated mash tun. Added 9 gallons of boiling liquid (3 more gallons of washback + 6 gallons water).
When it got to 180, added 1st enzyme. Stirred.
Let set for 6 hours.
at 152, added 3# flaked rye + 3# 6row and the 2nd enzyme (just for peace of mind). Stirred.
Let that set overnight.
Drained fermenter which yielded about 6-7 gallons of mash.
Poured 5 gallons 180 water over grains.
Let set for an hour
Drained.
Now I have about 11 gallons of mash, none of which has a decent SG.

Any tips for this frustrated masher?
Those who stay...
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Due51, looks like you need more corn, less water.
You have used 21 lbs grain and 17 gallons of water.
I would go for 3 lbs corn per gal water, and 2 lbs grains per gal water and see where that gets you.
Also, pH important, especially with enzymes.
Oh, and I would grind that corn up to meal.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Everything MC said. How do you check temp? Stir before checking? 152 is just past max temp for 2nd enzyme. 148 is top end but you probably got there with rye/6 row addition. PH is critical in this recipe.
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

I am on my 3rd attempt on this recipe and am only hitting about 1.05 for my OG (<7%abv) using ground corn from a local feedstore at 2 lbs/gallon and tapwater. First couple of attempts, I sorta winged it on the ph since I didn't have any way of testing. This last one though, I got a drop kit and strips both and had it in the right ballpark. Still 1.05.

The output from the single run I did on my first two batches tastes great, just trying to figure out how to get my yield up to 8 or 9%. Followed the instructions in Woodshed's original post to the letter; could it be my tap water?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Could be the corn. I have found feed corn to be somewhat unreliable. With one bag, I'll get good numbers. Another, I'll get results like you experienced. Good numbers with booners, but also with using malts with same bag. Also, using backset has an effect for the better I have noticed. I've used citric acid to adjust pH, but when I use backset I seem to get better numbers.

Did you happen to do an iodine test as well to check for starches? Most drug stores sell an iodine or tincture that works just as well.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

moosemilk wrote:Did you happen to do an iodine test as well to check for starches? Most drug stores sell an iodine or tincture that works just as well.
I didn't. I want to get that and a digital Ph tester.

I've been doing 10 gallon batches and, being a complete AG newb, I need to slow my roll. I need to do 5 gallon batches and get everything correct amd manageable. I making messes and spending WAY too much time in the brew room trying to get this recipe right.

From this mashing, I got 10 gallons of 1.050 and 11 gallons of wash back for my future mashes. I used EC1118 for my yeast. It's bubbling away in sealed buckets now.
Those who stay...
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

Lol! Sounds like you and I are at about the same stage Due.

I have cut back to smaller batches as well trying to get it right and am looking at ph meters. Will pick up some iodine and do the starch test next batch.

Also somebody asked before about how much extra water to allow for absorption by the grain. I watched Pint ' s video and according to him .1 gallons per lb of grain.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Hey guys, keep in mind: 1.05 still makes the same great whiskey, just a little less! My conversions are also lower than some reported on here, and I am going to do some experimenting with some different mashing techniques. Seems like I'm doing what everyone else is doing, but maybe I'm overlooking something obvious like I'm stirring clockwise instead of counter clockwise. But, chasing perfect mash room efficiency, for me, is sort of a moot point, I have made lots of 1.05 OG spirits and enjoy them all. I've also made great 1.06 OG stuff simply by bumping up the grain/gallon ratio.
Sounds like you are making tasty hooch, don't get lost in a perfect mash red herring!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

Flintstone wrote:Lol! Sounds like you and I are at about the same stage Due.

I have cut back to smaller batches as well trying to get it right and am looking at ph meters. Will pick up some iodine and do the starch test next batch.

Also somebody asked before about how much extra water to allow for absorption by the grain. I watched Pint ' s video and according to him .1 gallons per lb of grain.
That's the figure I had in mind: .1gallon loss per lbs of grain. But after using a total of 12gallons hot liquor, I still only yielded about 6 of 7 gallons of mash. It's obviously my methods which is why I need to take a step back and figure out how to do this right.
Those who stay...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Bump that corn up to 3lbs per gallon, and see what you get. I still think it's quality of grain and course ness throwing alot of folks off, crush size makes a huge difference. It has in my experience.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

After 5 gens. of UJ I decided to try this as my first corn cook. I used 36 lbs. of "fine crack" for the corn in 20 gal. Of water.
The temp. Was a little high after reheat (200 degrees ) after I added corn ,so I threw in a gallon of frozen sweet corn from the freezer to help cool it. Added seb-star at 180
Had a pound of 2 row malted barley so I threw that in at 160 degrees also. Cooled to 148 added second enzyme and let sit overnight. (Adjusted ph during steps )
There was 6" of clear yellow liquid on top the following morning that tasted like sweet corn syrup!
My OG was 1.064 and the wash was still quite hot. ( reading without temp. Correction )
Evidently the small amount of sweet corn and barley added sugar. I was a little concerned about the higher OG and was considering adding water ,as I had room in my fermentor ,but I did not want to water down the great flavor so I decided to go with EC 1118 for yeast , readjusted ph and pitched with nutrients.( any opinions on this step are welcome as I was quite undecided what to do )
The fermentor is going like a machine gun !
Can't wait to taste this. Thanks for sharing this procedeure with us ! I can't believe how well it went. Anyone holding off on your first " cook " should give enzymes a try ! Thank you Woodshed !
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

moosemilk wrote:
Did you happen to do an iodine test as well to check for starches? Most drug stores sell an iodine or tincture that works just as well.

Don't want to hijack here but I have to ask. Moosemilk, the tincture I got is clear as water. Will this work ? When I tried it it did not change the mash color at all. Was going to try to get some pure iodine. My tincture is 90% alcohol.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

May not work. The one I have is the typical brown/yellow iodine color. Took a slice of potato and bread to see if it would go purple from starches and it did. Tested mash before and after enzymes. Purple before, very light red that faded away after. I'll check the composition of mine when I get home from work tonight.

Woodshed: just have to tell you. A good friend of mine is a well known chef in my area, mentored many other chefs who have gone on to great things. We exchange recipes and ideas. I gave him a taste of my booners and he commented how smooth and tasty it was, and asked me to make him some because it is something "(he) could sip on straight ". He used to do a bit of stilling, especially when he was training over in Europe. So I trust his reviews. Gave you credit on the recipe of course. Just thought you would like to hear the review of a very good chef.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Thanks for that moosemilk. The goal for me is to always make a drop that stands on it's own yet is versatile as a mixer. Makes a great Bloody Mary.
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

I think my low yield was caused by my corn. I experimented with 2 lbs of corn meal from the grocery store in 5 qts of water and hit 1.066. I did simmer it on the stove for an hour or so as well so that might have made some difference. I will try the rest of the bag tonight just steeped in hot water.

For my full scale runs I am dumping my boiling water on my corn in an ice chest which maintains the temp great if I leave the lid closed. Problem is that I have to stir for a long time to work out the clumps and this cools it off quicker than I want. Any suggestions? I am starting a fresh batch tonight and am presoaking the corn with .1 gal per lb to see if that does the trick.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Flintstone wrote:I think my low yield was caused by my corn. I experimented with 2 lbs of corn meal from the grocery store in 5 qts of water and hit 1.066. I did simmer it on the stove for an hour or so as well so that might have made some difference. I will try the rest of the bag tonight just steeped in hot water.

For my full scale runs I am dumping my boiling water on my corn in an ice chest which maintains the temp great if I leave the lid closed. Problem is that I have to stir for a long time to work out the clumps and this cools it off quicker than I want. Any suggestions? I am starting a fresh batch tonight and am presoaking the corn with .1 gal per lb to see if that does the trick.
Are you using any enzymes to convert the starches into fermentable sugars...??? Boiling alone won't do it... What is your exact process...???
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

Yessir, I am following Woodshed 's instructions for the enzymes in his original post.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Tater wrote:I went to grist mill and got their course grind white cornmeal to try this recipe with.
How did it turn out Tater?
brick
Novice

Post by brick »

First Booner's All Corn
Thanks to all the contributors and moderators of this fine forum.
After many runs of UJSSM in my 3 inch pot still, I decided to give Booner's all corn a try, and got some enzymes from Mr. Pintoshine. Here's what I did.
Heated 8 gallons of water to approximately 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stirred in 16 pounds of coarsely ground corn- about as fine as I could get it with my Corona grain mill, dang nearly burned up my drill. Added 5 milliliters of SebStar-HTL high temperature amylase. Continued to heat with constant stirring to 190 degrees Fahrenheit. It was amazing to see the mash thin as it heated! Held at 190 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour with occasional stirring- tasted super sweet already. Allowed to cool to 150 degrees Fahrenheit with occasional stirring. Checked pH, added two tablespoons citric acid solid, and stirred to dissolve. Added 5 milliliters SEBAmyl- GL and mixed by stirring. Allowed to cool slowly overnight, covered. Can't tell you what kind of conversion was achieved, but mash was super-sweet. Transferred to fermenter, brought to 10 gallons volume with water, aerated vigorously and pitched rehydrated Red Star baker's yeast.
This enzyme mash was kind of a hybrid method of that of Woodshed and Pintoshine, modified for the equipment I have on hand. Can't wait to run it- I strongly suspect that this is going to be awesome!
HD Forum rocks!
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

Flintstone,
I have only done this once but when I added boiling water and corn the tempature was lower than the 180 degrees called for. I reheated and stirred with drill/mixer until it started to foam and shut off heat. Temp was 200. I then cooled to 180 and added enzyme. IMO your simmering the mash is what is making a difference. If you could reheat mash before transferring to the cooler it might make the difference. Just my .02$
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

+1 @ B 1
Flintstone
Novice

Post by Flintstone »

You may be right B1, I am going to repeat the small scale stove top experiment with some cracked corn when I get some fermenter space opened up to see if the additional time at elevated temps gets my yield up. I got acceptable results with corn meal both with simmering for a while and with bringing the water and meal to a boil, cutting the heat and steeping in the insulated pot. Only thing is that I will have to shop for a bigger pot. My wife will be thrilled at my purchase of more equipment LOL!
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I gotta go with B1 and add this. Get online and check out your water quality. It will at the least increase your knowledge and with some easy adjustments may increase yield, flavor, and on.
Maybe preheat your cooler as well? Is the cooler on an unheated hard surface?
The wife will be ok with it as long as she enjoys a solid corn likker.
Beginner 1
Novice

Post by Beginner 1 »

:thumbup: I believe it would be a good investment to go for the BOP. From what I read on here people are having good results steeping when malting (AG) but it seems like the people using the steeping method are having trouble getting good conversion using enzymes. I believe it is because of the higher temp. that the enzyme needs compared to malt. Steeping eliminates hours of stirring and possible scorching when doing the AG but because the enzymes eliminate the need for that , I believe cooking is best ( for the first step ) in this process. BOP for Christmas Flinstone ? :thumbup:
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Once again good input B1.
The coolest part of this thread is watching the progress or not people are making. After all, the thread is really about opening up to new ways of doing things with the craft. Many who have posted here have seen that and I am sure are running with it. Some are not and may be focusing too much on the potential ABV as opposed to the quality of product produced. Pretty fine drop.

Waiting for the next creative mind to step up with the goods on the next enzyme recipe.
SoMo, you out there?
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Yeah I'm around, not much to add right now been busy and not doing much mashing. Although I've been thinking about adding some rye bread in this recipe but actually mashing it with the enzymes. Did a corn, wheat, 6row but killed the six row and only used the enzymes for diastatic power and ended up with a really grainy raw spirit.
The booners is still my favorite hands down.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.