Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

singlewhitemalt
Novice

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by singlewhitemalt »

Alright, this first batch of mine fermented out dry to a FG of .993. The wash is delicious. I can really see where the "buttery" descriptor comes from. Really looking forward to sampling a bit from the hearts on this stripping run.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Biggest compliments yet took a bottle of Booners to a big family get together and some folks were sharing their store bought and I whipped out my Jug of Booners nuked on my fresh toasted oak. The group chose mine to be the best of what was there even beating out some 80$ bottle of some reserve I couldn't even pronounce. Thanks Woodshed, had 50 people ask for more who had their high dollar crap. A definite high point to my distilling tenure.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

In bulk, the enzyme cost is around 2.5 cents per fifth of 80 proof before the cuts depending on efficiency. That's awesome. Cracked corn is also crazy cheap...

I'm gonna see if, or how much cheaper this is than lets say a BW type sugar wash. I would much rather make vodka from an AG recipe not only from a quality standpoint, but maybe cost as well...:think:

Edit: At my market prices the ingredients used for Booner's Casual are 23 cents per fifth before cuts
BW cost is 20 cents per fifth for its ingredients, before cuts.

That makes AG recipes like this that much more attractive...
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

SoMo wrote:Woodshed it speaks for itself, no shit I had two family members offer size able sums of cash for bonds and what not for a 10% stake in a craft distillery if I wanted to go that route with that as the flagship product. I was proud and flabbergasted at the same time, when you live in the dark as we have to here when that light shines that bright it truly is awesome to do what we do. Thanks man credit to you!!
Didn't I say it was good stuff? :)

Many thanks to Woodshed for sharing this recipe/process. Definitely a game changer.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

RevSpaminator wrote:
SoMo wrote:Woodshed it speaks for itself, no shit I had two family members offer size able sums of cash for bonds and what not for a 10% stake in a craft distillery if I wanted to go that route with that as the flagship product. I was proud and flabbergasted at the same time, when you live in the dark as we have to here when that light shines that bright it truly is awesome to do what we do. Thanks man credit to you!!
Didn't I say it was good stuff? :)

Many thanks to Woodshed for sharing this recipe/process. Definitely a game changer.
Absolutely delicious, going to do another mash this week using AG backset that's heavy on the corn to see what kind of carry over there is. I have some feints I may add just to up the depth a bit. Should be good.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

The ultimate reward is making those around you happier. All I need.

Booner was my nickname from my grandpa when I was a kid.
A few people still use it. He would have loved this process.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Are we going to get the other post to this thread back? There were a lot of questions ask, but not answered.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Unfortunately not. I screwed it up last night by getting ahead of my self and skipping an important step. Sorry about that ya'll.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

SoMo wrote:Biggest compliments yet took a bottle of Booners to a big family get together and some folks were sharing their store bought and I whipped out my Jug of Booners nuked on my fresh toasted oak. The group chose mine to be the best of what was there even beating out some 80$ bottle of some reserve I couldn't even pronounce. Thanks Woodshed, had 50 people ask for more who had their high dollar crap. A definite high point to my distilling tenure.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but SoMo, can you explain what you mean by "nuked on my fresh toasted oak"?
Those who stay...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Nuclear aging, look it up. Uses the microwave to rapid age. My fresh toasted oak is from oak trees on my property, fresh cut and toasted in the oven at 375*f for an hour and a half or two hours. Once the house smells like sugar cookies it's done. I've got hundreds of white oaks growing on my little piece of heaven.
Edit: I've found I prefer a good toast to char on my aging woods, not such a prominent wood taste, I save that for smoked meats.
Attachments
The view from my kitchen window of beautiful white oaks.
The view from my kitchen window of beautiful white oaks.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Several folks are looking for some answers to previous post. How shall we reconstruct the missing post?
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Tell me if I am wrong; but, everything missing has to do with questing the veracity of the conversions claims we were given. Only you and SoMo reported your conversion rates near what you originally indicated were achievable. Your first post offered conversion levels that no one else has confirmed. Could you explain the steps you followed in your initial post that offered such high yields?
Last edited by scuba stiller on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I can't speak for woodshed but I can tell you I've gone to using feed store ground corn like a mix of flour and fine flakes or crumbs, that's been my answer to poor conversion from cracked corn that I had to use 3-3.5# per gallon and it was a bitch to deal with. I'm going to suggest watching Pints video on using enzymes as they do, not to take away from Shed but to highlight how they say the enzymes work the best, adding to cold water and heating to 190 then holding at that temp for some time to get max yield from corn and enzymes.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

SoMo I have looked at Pintoshins video several times before woodshed did. I am now using an adaptiation of Pintoshine and woodsheads approach and I find the blend of both to bring me a higher yeald. I just think most folks using the "no boil method" are not getting good conversion. Corn is tough to break up the starch and I don't think everyone is telling exactly what is going on... ie. the missing post from folks other than me.
Last edited by scuba stiller on Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

scuba stiller wrote:SoMo I have looked at Pintoshins video several times before woodshed did. I am now using an adaptiation of Pintoshine and woodsheads approach and I find the blend of both to bring me a higher yeald. I just don't think most folks using the "no boil method" are not getting good conversion. Corn is tough to break up the starch and I don't think everyone is telling exactly what is going on... ie. the missing post from folks other than me.
Dont know what your implying but we are making t and t into two parts one the recipe the second for discussion of it .As wood stated he screwed up on not making a original copy first before editing for content for the locked one. .Agreed that that is a loss but all who posted originally are well able to re-post.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

You are right Tater, they all can come in and post something similar to what we were discussing; but that isn't what we were talking about, and those that had failed runs won't come back to discuss what happened. I've been open with you and woodshed in PM comments, I just find this a rush to conclusion when it was simply several moves into using new tools.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Scuba I've followed this one pretty close all along as an all corn has been my goal since I joined last winter. This has been my favorite of all my projects, that said my allegiance is to me only and no one else. Unfortunately the variables prevent the true scientific process from working here. Pm or get the attention of those whose posts were deleted and have them rejoin the conversation to fill in those gaps that you feel were left in this thread and fill them back in that's the best that can be done to keep you or anyone else from feeling jaded.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

SoMo, I don't have the ability to recapture what is no longer here. Mods have that ability. As non comupter users learned, IRS hard=drives didn't remove information for the real world. I really want this thread to be a defining blog spot that teaches quality control and good production methods. I really tried to sort this out vis PM to no avail.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I hear ya bro, just too bad shit happens that we don't have control over. Try to pick it back up where we can or walk away it's up to you. I'm standing over my stove doing 2#s cracked corn to 1g water started cold brought to 190*f cooking for an hour over heat then cooling to 150*f add sebamyl etc to establish a baseline that's independent from Woodsheds results. Then I'm going to do 1.75# to 1g cracked the same way to compare that's the best I can come up with to see if cooking vs steeping makes that big of a difference.
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Re started this reply several times. You have offered yet another recipe to cooking cracked corn. I recon I will look at it again in the morning. Thanks for holding a dialog. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

scuba stiller wrote:SoMo, I don't have the ability to recapture what is no longer here. Mods have that ability. As non comupter users learned, IRS hard=drives didn't remove information for the real world. I really want this thread to be a defining blog spot that teaches quality control and good production methods. I really tried to sort this out vis PM to no avail.
No mods don't and As far as I know I cant either .My q reads once a post is deleted its not retrievable Someone like husker might know how I don't ..Now as far as trying to handle with pms you pm me at 749 and again at 830 then posted this post . So you've given it what 2 hrs. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Sorry Tater, this has been in a condition to not post anything to for several days. If I'm doing something wrong, please 'splain it to me.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

scuba stiller wrote:Re started this reply several times. You have offered yet another recipe to cooking cracked corn. I recon I will look at it again in the morning. Thanks for holding a dialog. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
Actually it's using these same ingredients ie enzymes in the manner that the retailer advertises. By cooking the corn this way it gives us what the optimum conversion can be using the known variables of grain to water ratio, we can then work out where the inefficiency folks are experiencing is coming from. In my original mashes I deviated from Sheds recipe by using ground corn it worked out great for me.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

scuba stiller wrote:Sorry Tater, this has been in a condition to not post anything to for several days. If I'm doing something wrong, please 'splain it to me.
I moved this topic to t and t on the 6th he edited it on the 7th and I opened a copy tonight the 8th so I don't know what your talking about.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

SoMo wrote:
scuba stiller wrote:Re started this reply several times. You have offered yet another recipe to cooking cracked corn. I recon I will look at it again in the morning. Thanks for holding a dialog. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
Actually it's using these same ingredients ie enzymes in the manner that the retailer advertises. By cooking the corn this way it gives us what the optimum conversion can be using the known variables of grain to water ratio, we can then work out where the inefficiency folks are experiencing is coming from. In my original mashes I deviated from Sheds recipe by using ground corn it worked out great for me.
I got 1.055 using the cook it method with this cracked corn, previously I was having to use 3-3.5#g to get close to 1.060. This shows me that the starch isn't getting released to be converted by the enzymes just steeping.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I offered this up as simply an alternative recipe.
Whether it ever ended up in the T&T matters not at all to me.

Scuba, I answered your pms as honestly as possible. If it was not what you were looking for I can't help that.

Went through my notes on that first run. OG of 1.064. FG of .994. 9.03%.

Try this when sampling for OG. Pull a sample off the top. Note this reading. Pull a sample off of the bottom filtering to remove solids. Note this reading. Holy shit, big difference. Average the two. That's what I do.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

I still don't see what the fuss is but oh well, let a sleeping lie.
The process is good, I still think the cracked corn is the deviation every ones seeing just my .02$ and still my favorite recipe or mash bill whatever.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

To answer all the questions about not achieving the same numbers I am I will say this.

I have intimate knowledge of my corn supply and water quality which I adjust to help maximize efficiency. Your corn and water quality will certainly vary. In other words too many variables to give definitive answers. No claims were made that you could accomplish the same.

My numbers are solid with final verification made by return at the still. Since here in the US we live in a disclaimer society I will finish with
Your results may vary.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

woodshed wrote:Your results may vary.
My results taste good! :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Woodshed, thank you for outlining this method here. I haven't tried it yet, but hope to sometime this winter. Sounds like I should look for a way to grind my corn before steeping.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else: