Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

SoMo
Distiller

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by SoMo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
woodshed wrote:Your results may vary.
My results taste good! :thumbup:
S Cack at my feed store they sell ground corn, the hard works done and I've had great conversion using enzymes or malt, way better than the cracked available here to me.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Thanks SoMo. I'll check into that. I have several Southern States within driving distance that might do the grinding. Don't hurt to ask.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I ordered my enzymes yesterday and picked up a bag of cracked corn today. I can't wait to give this a go.
Those who stay...
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

In my area there is cracked corn and there is corn meal and in between is called intermediate cracked corn. Its $3 or $4 more than cracked.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I went to grist mill and got their course grind white cornmeal to try this recipe with.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Nice to see this end up in tried and true! Good job and many thanks, woodshed.

Anyways, just a personal experience. I have been doing the spin-offs of this recipe, adding in some rye malt as my wife likes rye, turns out fantastic.

So over the weekend, I made up two batches of booners. As per recipe. Now here is the caveat: I know better and always convert US gallons to imperial being in Canada. Well, I wasn't thinking. I did two pounds per gallon. Ended up with 6.5% potential abv. What did I do wrong? That was the first. The second I boiled the crap outta the corn like I would a normal AG. Same thing. What did I do wrong? Doh! I went imperial gallons. That equates to over a gallon US more of water. So calculating, my ABV if done to recipe, would be more around 8%. I'm happy with that. No worries about stress on the yeast at the lower abv at least.

Just posting this should somebody else run into same homer Simpson moment I did. I've been diligent with converting values all along, but just goes to show a momentary lapse can happen. Two airlocks happily bubbling at least.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

I finally had an evening to work on my first Booner's mash. I used 14.4 lbs of cracked corn plus a couple grains I had in the fridge (1# flaked rye/.5# 6row) to 8gal boiled water/1 gal backset.

I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to AG so I need to hone my technique and knowledge.

I got 8 gallons of 1.024 after the initial steeping and subsequent sparge.
I'll come up with a solution tonight when I get home from work.
Those who stay...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Due51 wrote:I finally had an evening to work on my first Booner's mash. I used 14.4 lbs of cracked corn plus a couple grains I had in the fridge (1# flaked rye/.5# 6row) to 8gal boiled water/1 gal backset.

I'm still wet behind the ears when it comes to AG so I need to hone my technique and knowledge.

I got 8 gallons of 1.024 after the initial steeping and subsequent sparge.
I'll come up with a solution tonight when I get home from work.
Did you make sure to keep it up around 148F for a few hours? I often keep mine in the pot for awhile, warm while stirring to get it up a bit for the first two hours. A stir every 20 minutes for that first bit also helps. Then I transfer it to my fermenter which I wrap in reflectix to hold heat in overnight (some heavy blankets will do). By then it has cooled enough to pitch my yeast, if not, I toss my bucket in a bath of cold water while stirring til I get to temp. The rest and keeping it warm makes a difference in your conversion. Did you do a starch test?
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Did you check ph? Can't emphasize how important that is. With a gallon of backset I would guess you were way too acidic for the high temp enzymes to work. The enzymes work together. I don't add a gallon of backset to a mash three times that. Although a simple recipe it demands an exacting protocol.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

woodshed wrote:Did you check ph? Can't emphasize how important that is. With a gallon of backset I would guess you were way too acidic for the high temp enzymes to work. The enzymes work together. I don't add a gallon of backset to a mash three times that. Although a simple recipe it demands an exacting protocol.
The Ph was ok according to the strips. My problem was definitely the crush. I did a small batch tonight using 4 gallons of the 1.022 mash and 6lbs of corn. This time I used the food processor to crush the corn and cooked the mash on the stove top to make sure I was at the right temperature for each enzyme.

This has been a learning experience and I'll improve my technique based on what I learned.
Those who stay...
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

And what was the result?
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I have had two ferments of this that had a "rotten egg" odor after about the second day. There didn't appear to be infection, and within another day or two the odor went away, ferment happily bubbling along and finished off very well, smelled pleasant at the end, no other problems.

I used 2lbs cracked corn which I ran through my mill for more of a ground but not meal per Imperial gallon. This was for a five gallon batch.

I did cook the corn as per Big R's step process rather than just adding boiling water. When it cooled to 180F, I added the sebstar htl. pH was about 5.5. Stirred occasionally for a few hours til temp was at 148-150F. Adjusted pH to about 4 (I say about because I use test strips and color is more of a guess between numbers) using citric acid as I had no backset. I stirred occasionally for first few hours then let rest overnight, covered.

By morning, temp was just below 100F. Rather than risk infection, I pitch my yeast (regular bakers yeast) now and lock it up with airlock. I was diligent about sanitizing everything. My OG was 1.065.

Ferment temps consistently around 80F.

Now since they finish well, I assuming it is a bit of yeast strain from low nitrates from what I've found in other threads. Would adding dap help rid me of the temporary smell? I figured the corn would have enough nutrients. My wife isn't happy with the smell. At least it's only a day or two. I could always run a tube into a sealed mason jar of water and a vent tube from that out a Window.

But if any advice to help, or what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. Thanks! My first ferment of this smelled amazing g the entire way through!

Edit: before anybody asks, OG was temp corrected to that
Edit again. Added sebamyl at 148-150F. Forgot to say
Last edited by moosemilk on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

SoMo wrote:And what was the result?
I have 9 gallons of corn mash in 2 buckets - 1.050 OG. Not as high as I'd like, but for my first real attempt at mashing, it'll have to do. I also tried something else which may or may not be a mistake. I decided to use some of the trub from my wheat mash with US-05 rather than fresh yeast. This will be sort of a sour mash, I guess. So far, the air locks are percolating but not as vigorously as I like to see.
Those who stay...
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

I was going to soak my corn in hot backset as Big R mentioned in a different post. If that dropped my pH below 5.5 before adding the high temp stuff....what would you recommend adding to raise it? Or would you not recommend soaking in backset?

Thanks
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

warp1 wrote:I was going to soak my corn in hot backset as Big R mentioned in a different post. If that dropped my pH below 5.5 before adding the high temp stuff....what would you recommend adding to raise it? Or would you not recommend soaking in backset?

Thanks
Only one way to find out, and at $5 for a 50# bag, it's low very low risk.
Those who stay...
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I finally ran my first batch of this stuff. I couldn't believe how well the finished wash smelled! starting my run, the heads were much worse than other AG I did imo, but much less of them. Then the hearts started. Wow! This stuff is absolutely amazing, even off the spout! I ran a jar in quickly for my wife to sample and her reply "i knew there was a reason I didn't go to bed yet, and it is so worth staying up!". That corn butter sweet taste as described doesn't do it justice! And my shed now smells of buttery caramel corn! I can't wait for it to air and blend it. This is going to be my Christmas drink to bring to the in-laws and parents, along with the apple grappa to be used with an apple pie. Thanks so much for this recipe woodshed! I have found a new first place drink!

Typing as I admittedly am sipping on some hearts from the run. I could drink this like water it's so smooth and tasty, but chugging it back would be sacrilege to enjoying every small sip and prolonging the experience! Amazing!
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Moose, that's some testament. I gotta get some of this stuff going real soon.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

moosemilk wrote:I finally ran my first batch of this stuff. I couldn't believe how well the finished wash smelled! starting my run, the heads were much worse than other AG I did imo, but much less of them. Then the hearts started. Wow! This stuff is absolutely amazing, even off the spout! I ran a jar in quickly for my wife to sample and her reply "i knew there was a reason I didn't go to bed yet, and it is so worth staying up!". That corn butter sweet taste as described doesn't do it justice! And my shed now smells of buttery caramel corn! I can't wait for it to air and blend it. This is going to be my Christmas drink to bring to the in-laws and parents, along with the apple grappa to be used with an apple pie. Thanks so much for this recipe woodshed! I have found a new first place drink!

Typing as I admittedly am sipping on some hearts from the run. I could drink this like water it's so smooth and tasty, but chugging it back would be sacrilege to enjoying every small sip and prolonging the experience! Amazing!
The ultimate reward! Made my day moosemilk.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

SC: it really is that smooth and tasty. I would say it's like the perfect "liqueur" of whiskeys. It's sweet and smooth, but not that head splitting sugar rush type sweet. No burn on the tongue, hits the belly and warms it's way up.

Woodshed, the thanks is all to you! Still gotta get some shirts from ya, been working double shifts and no time for anything...went two weeks without seeing my kids (and they do live with me lol...just the time frame).
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Moose, I'm curious how you brought it off the still? Knowing so would only help others. Everyone trying the recipe with different protocols serves to further the recipe and variations of the theme.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

well, one step closer. I picked up a paper shredder today at Goodwill and will be converting it to a grain grinder over the next couple of weeks. Got my temp controller ready for my cold weather ferment box. Won't be long now.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

warp1 wrote:I was going to soak my corn in hot backset as Big R mentioned in a different post. If that dropped my pH below 5.5 before adding the high temp stuff....what would you recommend adding to raise it? Or would you not recommend soaking in backset?

Thanks
Figure out how much backset you need to put it right. Details.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

woodshed wrote:Moose, I'm curious how you brought it off the still? Knowing so would only help others. Everyone trying the recipe with different protocols serves to further the recipe and variations of the theme.
I can't quote temps as I don't use therm. I run a simple pot still, no thumper.

Started the run with 10 gallon wash. My ABV of the wash (based on my OG) was low at 5% due to a momentary lapse and used imperial gallons of water without compensating for extra corn.

I cranked the heat up high (propane turkey burner) until I felt the vapor just hitting the lyne arm. Then I turn it down low and collect my fors at a very slow broken stream. Just to be safe, I always toss 1 cup (250ml) per 5 gallons of wash (approx 20L), so 500ml or 2 cups in this case. I probably could have gone less, but a little more early heads tossed is no biggie (just more lighter fluid) .

After the fors, the heat is turned up to a thin stream, about as thick as a wooden match/pencil lead. I collected about 3 1/2 pints (1.75 L) of heads. Jar three wasn't bad, but for some reason the 250ml (1/2 pint) that came next did not taste good at all. There was a real bite to it, but not hot on the tongue, perhaps some smearing of late heads to hearts cut.

The next was the beginning of hearts, with just a touch of late heads but not the unpleasant taste that just finished. I collected about 3 pints (1.5L) of hearts that were almost like water/ethanol but a slight caramel sweetness to them.

The next two pints collected were absolutely full of that buttery sweet corn flavor and aroma. I could drink those alone! But they deserve to be blended to share the flavor. The next half pint the flavor started dropping but still enough that I'll probably use it.

After this, the next jar started to show the oils on top and begin to get cloudy, so I turned the heat back up and collected a little over a quart and half (about 1.75L) before it pretty much tasted like water and shut down.

After letting the jars air for a bit, jar #3 actually mellowed out a lot and while I don't t like heads, I may use a little if it blends well as there are some nice flavors. I usually double pot distill now, but wanted to try single run on this first. I have more bubbling waiting to run where I will save enough to double. I'm hoping it holds that sweet butter flavor towards the end when I do. I figure it should as I do strip runs deep into the tails, so my total collected ends up 25-30% over-all, and no need to dilute to double.

As for abv collected, I haven't checked. I have a proof and tralle, but rarely use it until after blending.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Nice write up, Moose! I've got a batch finishing ferment right now, looking forward to my first booner's run.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

woodshed wrote:

Thanks
Woodshed, I use just enough to cover the dry cracked corn, so hopefully it soaks it all up with no liquid remaining the next morning. After Big R mentioned doing this with backset....I realized that's exactly what the big ethanol plants do (at least the ones that wet mill)...they soak/steep in acidic solution for 19hrs or so.

I think I'm just going to soak with plain H2o future batches....I'd rather keep it simple versus screwing my Ph and happy enzymes. I'm getting there....small mistakes each batch but getting my routine dialed in :)
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Nice write up, Moose! I've got a batch finishing ferment right now, looking forward to my first booner's run.
You are in for a treat! Hope yours goes very well.

Just curious as nobody commented yet on my post about the sulphur type (rotten egg) smell I had from a couple ferments of this at day two and three, but went away. I'm attributing it to lack of nitrates causing yeast strain until they start munching on the corn, since my ferments finished well and smelled wonderful after.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Probably an insignificant bacteria taking hold until over powered by the yeast and alcohol production, it may very well be adding some of that wonderful taste and nose.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks SoMo. I was just thinking anyways, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Whatever it is sure doesn't seem to be harming the end result by any means.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Have not experienced that moosemilk.
The enzymes are an introduction of a bacteria and a fungus. Maybe one or the other had a reaction to something in your corn? May not be enough nutrients in your corn for the yeast. I like to add a pre natal vitamin to the mix.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

warp1 wrote:
woodshed wrote:

Thanks
Woodshed, I use just enough to cover the dry cracked corn, so hopefully it soaks it all up with no liquid remaining the next morning. After Big R mentioned doing this with backset....I realized that's exactly what the big ethanol plants do (at least the ones that wet mill)...they soak/steep in acidic solution for 19hrs or so.

I think I'm just going to soak with plain H2o future batches....I'd rather keep it simple versus screwing my Ph and happy enzymes. I'm getting there....small mistakes each batch but getting my routine dialed in :)
The addition of corn should get you close to proper ph or spot on for the first enzyme. If needed ph can be adjusted here with backset. Then again for the second addition. Presoaking in backset will certainly get you low for first enzyme, at least with my backset.
I do not like to chase ph so take steps to not over shoot it.