Booner's Casual All Corn

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

woodshed
Master of Distillation

Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by woodshed »

It doesn't take much research into corn on this site to see the pattern of struggle brought on by all corn recipes. Malting, gelatinization, on and on.
Booner's Casual All Corn greatly simplifies the process. And you will see increased yield from your grain. The key is using liquid enzymes.

Available online and increasingly at HB shops, a simple combo of enzymes is all you need for conversion.
Inexpensive and very effective.

Mill in temps are at 7,000 ft. You May find it advantageous to take your water to a higher temp if you are lower. Shoot for boiling before you shut her down.

1.8 lbs. cracked corn per gallon straight from the bag.
No need to ph water if yours comes in at 7.
Heat water to 200f.
Add corn and stir to bring temp to 180. Check your ph. You want to be 5.6 > 6.5. The addition of the corn should get you there.
Your first enzyme goes in at this point. SEBStar is a high temp Alpha-Amalyse. 0.36ml per lb. of corn.
Stir on occasion until temp hits 148.
Check ph again and get it in the 2.8 > 5.5 range. I do this with backset.
Now add the SEBAmyl- GL, a high productivity Glucoamylase. 0.36ml per lb.
Stir it up and let it sit. I do an overnite rest. Cover it up if you are prone to lose temp fast.
Follow your normal protocol from here.

I use an in house yeast but for this I fermented off the grain and used DADY pitched at 90.
4 day ferments maintaining at 80f. FG of .994.

At 1.8 lbs. I pulled 9%. A test at 2.4 lbs. gave a yield of 11.6%. Pretty big numbers from an all corn at those grain ratios. Flavor extraction is amazing even at those numbers. This is in no way an endorsement of chasing those numbers as an acceptable OG. I stand at 8.2%.
The higher efficiency allows a smaller grain bill. That's a bonus.
I get 8.2% with my Smoke Shine with 1.8 per gallon milled to 1/8 th inch and smaller.

While this can and has been debated as to whether or not it is a true all corn the process sure is easy and eliminates some of the frustration many find with more traditional methods.
just sayin
Rumrunner

Re: Booner's Casual All Corn

Post by just sayin »

Thanks for your fine post, Woodshed! You make it sound simple. Had seen Pint's vids a few months back. Thanks again for sharing your method.
Just Sayin'
dirtymax731
Swill Maker

Post by dirtymax731 »

Haven't done all corn yet but its on my list. X2 on the liquid enzymes! They work sweet. I got no where to get malt and am on my second all grain mash using enzymes and its tits. Doing this all corn next week when I get some fermenter space. I've done the malt but its just to much of a hassle for me to get. I still consider it a all corn just with a modern twist
Sent while napping in a cherry orchard
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Sounds just about like how Dustin at Citrus Distillers might does it.
Says he never has a bit of trouble with corn.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Red Rim
Trainee

Post by Red Rim »

Thanks for this post. As you know I have had a recent crop failure in my malting process and I was thinking this very same thing, namely should I just use amylase and get right to it or should I continue to fight the all grain, all natural path. This makes me wonder as well, is this still all grain? I think the answer is yes, there is no added sugar, no sugar substitutes just a more efficient way of using enzymes.

So then I pose this question to you, Do you think it will change the flavor any, after all, you are the king of smoked malted corn?
Last edited by Red Rim on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a stupid question....... Unless you didn't research it first.
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Woodshed, out of curiosity have you seen a big advantage in carefully sourcing the cracked corn vs just grabbing a bag of cracked from your local farm big box store?
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

:clap: Great post Woodshed. Are you thinking that the unfermentables are what is making up the dif? Are you seeing any dif in the amts of heads and tails? Sounds like the enzymes are a no brainer. Good job Woodshed. :clap:
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Did I miss the part where you have to cook the corn for hours first? :)
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

He doesn't say how long but he says cover it up so it doesn't loose temps fast and follow normal protocol for corn. I think you didn't miss anything, its a no boil method. No cooking for hours.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm tags.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Red Rim, I would not give up on the normal protocol for corn. Very rewarding journey.
The flavor is different and this recipe will never replace my Smoke Shine. I started this experiment so I could offer an all corn without the smoke and to compliment my recent Juniper yeast which is not quite offering the flavor profile with the smoke. The Booner's is sweet and buttery as the Smoke is more assertive and complex, often compared to a very smooth tequila.
With the juniper yeast this will be our Cricket John Whiskey, to be released as a short age @ 6 months. This is aged with local charred and toasted scrub oak. Some is destined to hide in the barrel for a couple of years or more.

WhiteDevil504, my corn is sourced from northeast CO so can not accurately answer your question.

halfbaked, These little buggers are designed specifically for this job. Add in the advantage of a high temp enzyme and the branches don't stand a chance. Once the SEBStar is added your mash will thin instantly. You can watch the enzymes just shredding through the corn.
Smaller heads cut and corresponding larger tails cut. I'm good with that.

No cooking is required. With an overnite rest from 6 pm to 8 am I am at 110f. I then transfer a fermenter to the still, clean it then transfer mash to fermenter thru the chiller. So my day starts.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Looks like I'll have to find me some liquid enzymes and try this out.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Rev, here's the link to Pintoshine's website - http://www.enzymash.com/ProductDetails. ... 4OZMASHKIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow . The link is to the "kit" which is 4 ounces each of the high temp alpha amylase (SEBStar-HT) and the gluco amylase (SEBAmyl-GL). So far, this is the only retail source I've found for the high temp enzyme. Someone mentioned in another thread that Pinto is buying wholesale in large quantities and repackaging the product for retail. I paid $24 for the kit with free shipping.

Woodshed, I bought the enzymes for a go at the "Uncle Remus Rice Vodka" recipe, but now you have my interest peaked for using it in your simple all corn recipe. Thanks for posting it.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
DeepSouth
Swill Maker

Post by DeepSouth »

I've used the enzymes from enzymash before and have found great success. I was originally turned on to them through a craft distillery in Kentucky, MB Roland. I haven't really used SEBAmyl-GL as much as I've used the SEBStar-HT. I use them when I make bourbon. I'll still run my cracked corn through my corona mill to get a coarse corn meal. I treat my water with backset first, bring it to a boil, cut off the heat and add in my corn and stir it in with a drill mounted mixer. I stir it for a minute or two, let it cook and then as Woodshed said, add the SEBStar-HT at around 180-190 F. It really and truly does thin right before your eyes. I'll cool it with my wort chiller and then add regular malt for the conversion. I've gotten between 85-90% conversion efficiency using this method. I use 2# of grain per gallon of water. I have another project in the future where I'm going to try to create a sweet potato syrup by cooking down sweet potatoes and using the SEBAmyl-GL for conversion of the starch to sugar. Thumbs up for these enzymes.
Rich Grain Distilling Co., DSP-MS-20003
http://www.richdistilling.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
https://www.facebook.com/richgraindistillingco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

Most here know I am usually not very free with my recipes but this one has the potential to help many achieve a finer product and easier protocol.
In any corn heavy grain bill the addition of the SEBStar alone will improve your yield and IMO your flavor profile.
Prospekt
Novice

Post by Prospekt »

Woodshed, do you ever have problems with infections after your overnight cool down? I know it's considered desirable with a sour mash, but of course you can't always select the bacteria that decide to take over.
Learn from yesterday, live for today.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

I have been doing an overnite rest for years with my Smoke recipe and never had infection. At least not one I didn't introduce.
I should elaborate and state the SEBStar is derived from a fermentation of bacillus licheniformis, a bacteria. SEBAmyl is from a fermentation with aspergillus niger, a fungus you will see on fruit if it gets hold. In the past I have experimented with introducing infections. Got bored and wasn't benefitting. This is different.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Got my enzymes...can't wait for my fermentation bucket to free up so I can give this a shot. Was thinking of using 2lb/gal and want to have 24 gal of liquid left over to fill the keg for 2 stripping runs.

Knowing the corn soaks up some water....was thinking 28 total gallons (leaving 24 liquid), sound right? So should I do 2lb/gal on the 28 or the 24 gallons? 48lbs or 56lbs.

Thanks for the recipe woodshed....this will really help me determine if I prefer the corn flavor more or the malt flavor more and can help guide my grain bill in bourbons....or stick to single malts. (especially +++about the enzymes)
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Thank you for this.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Got my mash barrel insulated and a bag of corn ready. I'm just waiting on enzymes and a little time.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Picked up a fresh batch of cracked corn after work....starting this over the weekend. Thanks again Woodshed.

Gonna go a little over 2# per gallon as the Tractor Supply corn is cracked pretty coarse
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

We split a 50# bag of cracked into two 12 gal mashes over two days. Both fermented throughout the work week, but I noticed the second wash was less thin and not as vigorous of a ferment. As both washes completed I knew something was amiss. I am fairly sure the second wash didn't get the second PH adjustment prior to the addition of the second enzyme. Big mistake! :oops: The first run was great, collected way more than expected and it is the smoothest off the still sip ever. Missing adjusting the PH down retarded the quality and quantity of the second run. Lesson learned. :roll:
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

My focus is on enzymes and Protocol, how they may apply to the broad spectrum of starch conversion, ph, and temp. Our hobby can benefit, this is groundbreaking.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I too am focusing on Woodshed's protocols and I want to try see how easily his results can be reproduced. I got my enzymes and a sack o' cracked corn. Just need to collect some backset for pH management. Heck even got me some pH strips.

Seriously, I want to see if I can get good conversion without the pain of boiling corn down to mush. This is, as you say, groundbreaking and will carry over to a whole slew of starches. Heck, even throw away bread from all natural hippy bakery. Everyone has one around them somewhere, just gotta drive to "that" side of town. :)
scuba stiller
Swill Maker

Post by scuba stiller »

Agreed. Temp management is fairly easy given the high temp ability of the initial enzyme. Our unintended omission of PH management for the second enzyme in our second mash clearly shows the significance of PH management for full conversion.
woodshed
Master of Distillation

Post by woodshed »

"That" side of town. Funny.
Ph is critical for any mash but absolute here. A Ph pen will serve best and is more economical in the long run.
If you know what Ph is best for your yeast choice do not forget to adjust at this step as well.
Not a step that is critical. But super happy yeast make superior products.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

I've not given pH a lot of thought since the last all grain mash I did was an all grain ale with malted barley. That stuff pretty much takes care of itself and the yeast. (Yeah, I know, not always, but for the water where I live, yes it does.)
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

Just ran my first stripping run of this recipe. Almost no heads to speak of. (I start my strip runs in spirit mode to take off the worst of the heads then turn up the heat.)

Waiting for my next day to run the rest. Wow, the low wines even smell good.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

RevSpaminator wrote:Just ran my first stripping run of this recipe. Almost no heads to speak of. (I start my strip runs in spirit mode to take off the worst of the heads then turn up the heat.)

Waiting for my next day to run the rest. Wow, the low wines even smell good.

Lucky dog I'm still waiting on enzymes to get here.
What did you see as far as PH changes through the different steps?
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

SoMo wrote:What did you see as far as PH changes through the different steps?
Uh, well.. The pH strips were almost but not quite completely worthless. I'm guessing I had some pH issues that will need to be corrected when I try this next time. Fortunately I've purchased a pH meter that should be here sometime before Xmas. (I guess that's what "free shipping" means.) I know I didn't get as complete of a conversion as I would have hoped for. But another sack of corn and a few more teaspoons of enzymes and next time I'll get it right. :)

I know that Woodshed smokes corn for one of his recipes, but I'm wondering if toasting it would benefit flavor and/or starch conversion.