Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ipee7ABV
Rumrunner

Re: Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Post by ipee7ABV »

my last 3 batches i was using ujssm at 65% after soaking for a month and mixing it 50/50 with a sugar wash. its so good i stopped oaking my ujssm now i put it on the sticks.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

So I had my 8 small cinnamon sticks on 96% for like 3 weeks. Couldn't wait no longer.

Made a syrup out of 750 mls of brita filtered water and 250 grams of sugar. Cane sugar actually. Boiled it for like 10 minutes, let it cool to room temp, added it to the 96%. Took the cinnamon sticks out. They are good for another generation (if not more).

It gives me a Fire Piss of around 35%. With an 18% sugar level. Less than Mr. P's original recipe, but that's because I am not a sweet mouth. Totals up to 1.3 liters.

Funny things are happening inside the bottle, as I mixed syrup and the hot cinnamon essence. It started sorta foaming! I took a picture and you can see it foam in the two bottles as well as in the glass I poured myself. The two bottles are being cooled right now. The big one in the fridge, the small one in the freezer. Just so I can compare them.

First taste impressions from the first glass I poured myself. On some ice. Creamy. This sh*t is creamy! Full of mouth feel. With depth and character. I know some others have posted that, but I could not really envision that. I was sure it would give a straight cinnamon taste. One dimensional. But it is much better than that. It has character!

It is not hot. Not at all. Okay let's rephrase that, now that I give it some time. It is not too hot to drink. But it does burn the lips. Maybe my pretty hot geneva has sorta adjusted my taste buts for this drink? Might need some more cinnamon next time. I will head down to the Turk this weekend (that's like your average Mexican food store over at the US of A, only with oriental instead of Central American stuff). I am sure they have less cultivated, bigger cinnamon sticks over there. More raw flavour is what I look for. And more sticks are needed. If I look at Mr. P's original pictures, he has much more cinnamon in than I did.

But why complain about it? It is great already! Thanx Mr. P! Great recipe! I like it better than my apple pie. And even though I started making apple pie only a few months ago, I like its freshness, its drinkability. But compared to this, apple pie is truely one dimensional. This is better, much better. An adult man's drink. To take a sip from when sitting in front of the fire place. It has some whisky complexity over it.

Amazing.

And I think even my wife might like this!

Odin.
Attachments
Looking good!
Looking good!
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Give it some more time on the cinamin Odin, it really picks up some heat in week 4 and 5 I've found.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Nice review Odin. :thumbup: Glad you like it. Sippin on ice in front of a fire on a nice chili night is the way I envision it. We had the annual Halloween bonfire party this past weekend. I filled a flask with some fire piss. Carried it around in my pocket the whole night. It was cold. When I would get a little chill I would take a nice swig. Warmed me right up.

I've decided to cut the sugar down myself. And I think I will try your measurements next time. They sound good to me. And yes if you want it a little hotter let it sit a little longer.

I also took a 750ml bottle to the party it was added to about 3 gallons of hot Apple cider in a cooler. It was some good stuff. And it ran out fast.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I told you it isn't hot. Or not too hot. Maybe my taste is off again. Because I could feel my gum all day!

For coming Friday I planned a drink with my co workers. Around 5 o'clock, when work is done. I will throw in some Fire Piss. Still looking for a good Dutch name.

Great recipe!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

"De heer p's brand pis drinken" IMO
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Durace, your translation into Dutch is too funny!

"Meneer P's vuur pis drinken" would come closer. Well "vuur pis" and "fire piss" do, don't they?

After a days rest in the freezer (bottle 1) and the fridge (bottle 2), I like the fridge better. It is better cooled, but "frozen" is too much. To my liking anyway.

And it is hotter now. Much hotter. The mss thought it too damn hot. But liked it anyhow. And now that I sip some more ... it is just right for me.

Odin.
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

I was originally thinking "vurr pissen" but decided to add the namesake for respect. I'm going to make up a few batches of Gerber or Wino's w/raisins so I can try both the black current vodka and some Vurr Pissen(fire piss). Both sound like great drinks to share around for a unique change of pace. I only have about 8 ounces left over from my last neutral batch so I'm not sure I could even cover 1 cinnamon stick in that amount.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

black currant vodka ... sounds interesting as well!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Okay, an update. I threw a "borrel" at my workplace. A Friday afternoon gathering with drinks & some food (chips, nuts, something to chew on). I took my essence based Malibu Coconut Rum Liquere and the Fire Piss. Fire Piss wan by far. And the Malibu ain't bad at all. I called "my" Fire Piss "Hete Bliksem" which can be translated into "Hot Lightning", but people felt that didn't cover it. It was not hot. Well ... until they tasted some more and their gums & lips started to burn. Yes it is HOT. So hot I actually added a little of 35% neutral. Product feels more balanced now. Dunno if Cinnamon Schnapps covers the name, either. It has a sorta whiskey resemblence. Cinnamon whiskey? It is like cursing in church, because I made it from neutral, but there is definately some whiskey taste there.

I took one liter of 35% FP to the "borrel" and 0.75 of Malibu. The FP is finished. The Malibu is still there (well, half of it).

Even though I used less sugar than the original recipe, I think in next batch I will lower the sugar content even further. It is still very sweet to my taste.

Next batch? O yes! I just covered my cinnamon sticks with some 96.5% I made yesterday. Maybe this time I will not let it "age" three weeks. Two should do the job, I guess. Well, depends on the sticks, I guess. Anyhow, this will be a great Xmass drink. Snow, cold, family, together. And a bottle of FP!

Odin.

Edit: I liked adding cane sugar rather than white crystal sugar. It gives of a nice golden brown colour.
rtalbigr
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rtalbigr »

Just to throw in a twist here, has any one tried this with ginger? I have some straight cinnamon FP (which is very popular) but I have also made some up with just ginger and some with cinnamon and ginger with a little vanilla. I haven't tried it yet, as most here know I like to give all my likker a nice rest.

Big R
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I've always wanted to try some ginger by itself. I bought some fresh ginger a while back to make some of your candied ginger. I forgot I bought it and never made it. I have a nice bottle of vanilla soaking. I forgot about it to. But I mite add a little to some FP I have made. And see how that turns out. Sounds good. I still want to try sweetening with honey and palm sugar.

I want to start another with a good wheat based likker. Something more of a whiskey. So many experiments so little time.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

Well the hardest part of this recipe seems to be the 4 weeks on the sticks! I have my first jar at just over 3 weeks that I robed to make 1 pint of fire piss. My wife loves it as do I. I diluted it down to 110 proof and used honey for sweetness. After adding the honey I guesstimate its is around 100 proof and sure does taste good. In the picture I am posting is what is left of my pint, then my first quart at three weeks then the jar I started last week.
Thanks for the recipe Mr.P this will be made at my place for a long time. :clap:
Attachments
DSCF2878postsize.jpg
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
warp1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by warp1 »

Diluted my first batch a few minutes ago....definitely a keeper. This will be the snowmobiling drink of choice...:)
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Glad you guys like it. I want to try honey as a sweetener. It sounds great. And it would be good for the snowmobile rides. I had some last year for a 4 wheeler ride in the snow. Nothing like tubing behind a 4 wheeler in the snow.

What does it take to get something in the tried and true? :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

Prairiepiss wrote: What does it take to get something in the tried and true? :lol:
100+ I second the nomination
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Yeah, get this recipe over to the tried & true!That would be my vote!

Odin.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

I tried it and it's true, good stuff! :thumbup: :clap:
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

rtalbigr wrote:Just to throw in a twist here, has any one tried this with ginger? I have some straight cinnamon FP (which is very popular) but I have also made some up with just ginger and some with cinnamon and ginger with a little vanilla. I haven't tried it yet, as most here know I like to give all my likker a nice rest.

Big R
I've done ginger - half a jar of sliced fresh root covered with 45% BW neutral. Left 6 months, is fair dry, but even better with just a hint of sweetness to it.

I also do a ginger bread one with ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, molasses and demuera sugar which mum and i think tastes fantastic and just like gingerbread - spicy and treacly, and dad thinks tastes like cough syrup!

Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Made me another batch of fire piss yesterday. Few things I did differently from the previous go.

I bought some cinnamon sticks from the local Turkish shop. The sticks are bigger and look less "refined", rougher, in a way. Did it change the taste? Not sure. Cinnamon here, cinnamon there, cinnamon everywhere.

Furthermore, I decided to cut down the sugar (cane sugar - light brown colour) a bit further. From 250 grams in 750 mls of water to 200 grams in 750 mls of water. That worked out very nicely! I am not much of a sweet mouth, and like this it is just a thad less sweet. To my palate: perfect!

Perfect? Doesn't mean there is no room for experimenting anymore, now is there?

Just thinking out loud: what would a vanilla bean do to the equasion? Together with a few weeks rest of course.

And maybe throw in a stick of medium or heavily toasted Am. white oak?

I somehow feel some vanilins may be interesting. But it will be an effort to get them shine thru so much cinnamon.

Odin.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Odin I think the vanilla would be a nice addition to the cinnamon. How to get a balanced medium that would be the hard part. I will have to play with it a bit. But I do have a jar with a bunch of vanilla beans soaking. I mite try blending the two. Oak would be a hole nother experiment. I wouldn't want to add the oak at high ABV. And I think the sugar content of the diluted product would interfere with the oak aging process. So the oak aging would need to happen before sugar addition. How do we get around this?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I think the soaking of vanilla beans and adding that to the fire piss makes sense. Ageing a 95% neutral doesn't. Or ageing a 35% ready fire piss; that doesn't make sense either.

I think.

Odin.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Odin wrote:I think the soaking of vanilla beans and adding that to the fire piss makes sense. Ageing a 95% neutral doesn't. Or ageing a 35% ready fire piss; that doesn't make sense either.

I think.

Odin.
Exactly. :think:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Odin wrote:I am not much of a sweet mouth.
Sweet tooth, not sweet mouth O :ewink: Thought i'de help you out here - the rest of your English is so good we tend 2 forget it's 2nd language for you :D

Slowninja
Swill Maker

Post by Slowninja »

PP: Ever tried cutting this with apple juice/ brown sugar?

I did your original recipe and loved it. Left it a full month and it burned a little even at 30% (g/f doesn't like strong stuff). It was just a bit too syrupy for me, so i'll be cutting back the sugar next round.

I'm thinking about a cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of apple juice (or cider, haven't decided) and a drop of vanilla extract for an apple pie effect. Going to shoot for 40% or so.
jarheadshiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jarheadshiner »

Great stuff! Gets my vote for tried and true!
Lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Slowninja wrote:PP: Ever tried cutting this with apple juice/ brown sugar?

I did your original recipe and loved it. Left it a full month and it burned a little even at 30% (g/f doesn't like strong stuff). It was just a bit too syrupy for me, so i'll be cutting back the sugar next round.

I'm thinking about a cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of apple juice (or cider, haven't decided) and a drop of vanilla extract for an apple pie effect. Going to shoot for 40% or so.
Just today I was thinking about using panela. But brown sugar sounds good. Not sure of the Apple juice? But the vanilla mite be a good addition. I'm getting ready to try out the new cinnamon sticks. Along with the different sugars. I need to get this next UJSSM and rum runs done. So I can do an all feints run to get some neutral to do it.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Slowninja
Swill Maker

Post by Slowninja »

I'll tell ya.. Didn't come out as I'd hoped.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Slowninja wrote:I'll tell ya.. Didn't come out as I'd hoped.
What didn't?
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Slowninja
Swill Maker

Post by Slowninja »

Apple juice

Something about the strength of the cinnamon flavor didn't mesh well with the apple juice