Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Mr P's Hot Cinnamon Schnapps (fire piss).

Postby kimbodious » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 pm

I use Stevia for the syrup for my version of this.

Thanks for reminding me, I have a jar that needs diluting and bottling. I put an oak domino with the sticks this time around, will ve interesting to see if that adds more complexity to the flavour!
kimbodious
Swill Maker

Postby pounsfos » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:51 am

kimbodious wrote:I use Stevia for the syrup for my version of this.

Thanks for reminding me, I have a jar that needs diluting and bottling. I put an oak domino with the sticks this time around, will be interesting to see if that adds more complexity to the flavour!

Do keep us in the loop, I just put a cinnimon stick, vanilla bean, and some toasted oak away in dark place, will remove cinnimon after 2 weeks or so then let it go for a year. what does the Stevia taste like compared to normal sugar?

ufo8mycow wrote:So I just found a jar i had sitting for at least a couple years in the back of the cabinet and went ahead and mixed up a big batch and damn this is some good stuff. It came out a really dark red color even after mixing.
Before I mixed it I took a sip of the 95% and it was really smooth. Hot but smooth.

wow!! what a find, I've almost built my cupboard up to that level. take a picture if you can, mine are always a light red colour.

How many times do people recycle the sticks? I'm on gen 4 of cinnimon sticks (I infuse 1 month then bottle, I found gen 3 to be as tasy as gen 1, so I was just going to keep going until i notice, just wondering how long people use theres for, I use 2 sticks per litre i want to make, and i do it at 80%
pounsfos
Distiller

Postby kimbodious » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:03 am

Stevia has a different taste to sugar syrup but preferable in this household than cloying thick sucrose syrup.

I use the Stevia powder used for baking. 1/4 cup stevia powder dissolved in 1/2 a litre of boiling water straight from the kettle - no sign of recrystallation. It is more expensive than sugar syrup but much much easier to make.

I put a great handful of cinnamon sticks in a litre and a bit of 95% ABV. I soak those for at least two months. I hadn't bothered reusing the sticks - they are so cheap at the local asian foodstore.

Just bottled three litres of the oaked cinnamon liqueur (diluted to 40% ABV), intial taste is promising but the oak is very subtle.
kimbodious
Swill Maker

Postby C2H5O5 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:41 am

OK, I started my first batch, seeya in 30 days!!!!

20171030101 (Custom).jpg

Fire piss #1

• 32 oz of 190+
  • 4 Cassia cinnamon sticks
  • 4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
  • Steep 30 days
  • Simple syrup 2 cups sugar, 2 cups water.
  • Add 300 ml (11oz.) of alcohol to 500 ml (16 oz.) of simple syrup
  • Top off cinnamon jar with 190, repeat

Fire piss 2 (starting in 30 days)

• 32 oz of 190+
  • 4 Cassia cinnamon sticks
  • 4 Ceylon cinnamon sticks
  • Steep 30 days
  • Simple syrup 2 cups dark brown sugar, 2 cups water.
  • Add 300 ml (11oz.) of alcohol to 500 ml (16 oz.) of simple syrup
  • Top off cinnamon jar with 190, repeat

OK I need cinnamon sticks but after reading this what should I do?

Which to use? Ceylon, Cassia, Korintje or Saigon? Types of Cinnamon, biased towards Ceylon
Ceylon is technically the only true cinnamon.

From what I have researched (google), is that Concentrations of Coumarin vary, Ceylon @0.12g, Cassia@ 0.31g
Korintje@ 2.15g and the highest being Saigon @6.97g, these are based on grams per kilogram from my understanding. Ok now the technical BS is out of the way!

What is Coumarin?

Coumarin Wiki

Should I worry about Coumarin?
There are warnings that Coumarin can cause liver damage, the warnings are for large doses.

What is a large dose?
From what I have read, individuals that are taking it as a medicinal supplement (on a regular basis) should be concerned.

Should I be concerned for this Tried and True recipe?
I don't know how the alcohol is affected in a steeping environment. But personally, speaking for myself, I am not worried.

Does steeping the cinnamon sticks in alcohol draw out Coumarin?
I do not know. I would think that with steeping it wold be less than total consumption, I feel comfortable using in moderation, and I would think those of us that are worried about the Coumarin steeping into our liquor and adversely affecting our livers should be more worried about the alcohol affecting our livers.

What am I going to do?
I know McCormick uses cassia as most supermarkets do and I have purchased some cassia sticks that or in some 190+ right now and I am waiting on my Ceylon sticks to arrive that will be added next week.
With my information below I decided I will be using a 50/50 mix of Cassia (McCormick) and Ceylon

Ceylon is a bit sweeter and has a milder flavor
Cassia is not as sweet, a bit spicier and bitter,
Korintje is Spicy and pungent
Saigon is Spicy and sweet.

My reasoning is I think the heat/spicy will come more from the Cassia than the Ceylon

I hope this info helps.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Postby still_stirrin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am

C2H5O5, you worry too much.

Go to the Latin or Oriental grocery and get the cheap cinnamon sticks. Your regular grocer would have them too, but they'll be even less expensive at the ethnic markets. You could buy the McCormick sticks in the spice section of your store, but they'll be much more expensive (unnecessary). Just get the "woody" sticks from the ethnic section...better value (less expensive).

Use those sticks, and just monitor the progress. If you need more cinnamon, then add another stick. If you need less cinnamon, then pull the liquor off the sticks sooner. It's as simple as that.

Do what you like....but like what you do.

And stop worrying so much...it'll kill you before the liquor does.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Postby C2H5O5 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 am

still_stirrin wrote:C2H5O5, you worry too much.

Go to the Latin or Oriental grocery and get the cheap cinnamon sticks. Your regular grocer would have them too, but they'll be even less expensive at the ethnic markets. You could buy the McCormick sticks in the spice section of your store, but they'll be much more expensive (unnecessary). Just get the "woody" sticks from the ethnic section...better value (less expensive).

Use those sticks, and just monitor the progress. If you need more cinnamon, then add another stick. If you need less cinnamon, then pull the liquor off the sticks sooner. It's as simple as that.

Do what you like....but like what you do.

And stop worrying so much...it'll kill you before the liquor does.
ss

:eh:

That wasn't me worrying, that was me trying to take the worry out of the folks that are worried. :egeek: The questions were for the benefit of others, I was approaching it like a FAQ type of page, sorry my point wasn't taken how I intended. :esad:

Does steeping the cinnamon sticks in alcohol draw out Coumarin?
I do not know. I would think that with steeping it wold be less than total consumption, I feel comfortable using in moderation, and I would think those of us that are worried about the Coumarin steeping into our liquor and adversely affecting our livers should be more worried about the alcohol affecting our livers
Should I be concerned for this Tried and True recipe?
I don't know how the alcohol is affected in a steeping environment. But personally, speaking for myself, I am not worried.

I chose my sticks based on flavor profile not out of fear.

:)
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Postby pounsfos » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Great Write up there C2H5O5

If you're on a little island likie me or in some remote area where you can't just walk into a shop and get 3 different types of cinnimon sticks (like myself)
E-bay should sort ya out, otherwise just take what they got, it'l do the trick, I was thinking of trying cinnimon powder but I figured it might not work as well.

Filtering should be fine.

I'm about to run another batch, might do a side by side comparison between sticks and powder.

I'm not a fan off sugar in my drinks, i'm more el-naturaal , but might try stevia and a few other artificial, and some safe sugar alternatives for my diabetic friends.

the sticks im using now arent giving out as much colour as last time, but the spirit is definitly darkening, this is the 4th time I've used them, maybe 3 uses is the limit?
pounsfos
Distiller

Postby hpby98 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:32 am

Was hunting up more information on cinnamon and came across this:

http://www.silkroadspices.ca/products/cinnamon

They had writeups on the different types. Now where to find the different ones around me?
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Forest Beekeeper » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Today we visited the Distillery of MB.Roland near Fort Campbell. They produce a cinnamon 'hot' that includes cayenne pepper in the recipe.
Forest Beekeeper
Novice

Postby CaptMorgan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 am

Fire Piss sounds like a drink I would enjoy. I have a couple of jars soaking on sticks right now. After a couple of weeks, the color looks great and the smell is amazing! Do you guys filter/strain before adding syrup? My sticks seem to have been leaving some chunks of bark in my jars. I read the entire thread and the only mention of filtering was with ground cinnamon.
Lord, give me patience, but give it to me NOW!

2" x 38" Bokakob column head, 15 gallon keg boiler
CaptMorgan
Novice

Postby still_stirrin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:10 am

CaptMorgan wrote:...Do you guys filter/strain before adding syrup? My sticks seem to have been leaving some chunks of bark in my jars...

Yes, I've had to....for the very reason you mentioned.

Run it through a coffee filter before you try to add the syrup. Otherwise it'll plug the filter.
ss
Attention new distillers: Cranky's spoon feed info
What is a Proof & Traille hydrometer: Alcohol-meter
Enzyme info: SebStar
HD Google search info: HD Google-how to
All about mashing grains: Braukaiser
still_stirrin
Master Distiller

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes