Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Uncle Remus Rice Vodka

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:36 am

My rice has finished, all quiet and smells great. Tart like lemonade without the lemon flavor.
This is the driest fermentation I've ever had, FG 0.994.
Hoping to get time to sritp it this weekend.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby cranky » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I've done this recipe twice using amylase and was pretty happy with it but it can get a bit messy. I actually watered a bottle down to 21% and gave it to a Korean guy I work with who after trying it was surprised that it was actual soju, not rice wine. He shared it with some soju snobs all of whom were surprised that an American could make such good soju. It does make good rice wine too and if you add a bit of the vodka back to the rice wine it makes a very nice fortified rice wine :D
Sometimes I pretend to be normal but it gets boring so I go back to being me

A message to new members
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:38 am

I finally got around to running this.
I used my keg/thumper to strip, and then again, twice more, as spirit runs, tossing fores, early heads, and late tales each time.
I watered everything down to 35% each time and used water to charge the thumper.

I was going for a "potstiller's vodka" and I think I got there.
This stuff is very neutral compared to anything else I've ever made, reminds me more of vodka than anything else.
I'm very happy with the result considering what I was aiming at.

Problem is, I'm just not that big a fan of vodka. :roll: Just wanted to see if I could do it, I guess.

I really miss the rice flavor, I prefer flavored spirits.
The rice mash was delicious, so now I'm going to have to do it again ( :D )to see if I can keep a rice flavor in the spirit simply by distilling it fewer times.
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby cranky » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:11 pm

One thing I did once was save a few bottles of the wash then run the rest and added a bit back to the bottles of rice wine, It worked out very well.

A message to new members
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby MichiganCornhusker » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks, Cranky, I'm going to try a few different things with this batch.
I like the idea of trying to make a drinkable rice wine, simply fermented rice juice.
Did you add the spirit back to your wine to boost the % up to around 16%-18% for wine, or did you go higher?

Will also do something like a shochu, doing a one-run through my pot to see what I get.
Also going to try running low wines through some wash in the thumper.

Heck, I might even try shooting the thumper with something, seems like this rice shine would play very well with other flavors.
MichiganCornhusker
Site Mod

Postby cranky » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:22 pm

I can't remember exactly how high I made it, probably 18% maybe 20 but it blends in with the rice wine so well that you don't really notice the boost. I'll tall it again even though I think I already told the story of the Korean guy and the soju which is basically the Korean version of shochu. He had talked of soju many times and from talking to him about it I surmised it was made from distilled rice wine, but they often used other things to get conversion such as sweet potatoes, I know that is right up your alley, then it is tempered to 21%. He told me in America it is sold at 18% but in Korea it is always 21 so I tempered my URRV to 21% and gave him a bottle at Christmas when I gave out my Christmas wine to everybody else. Later after he tried it he was very surprised and excited that it was actual soju and not rice wine and was 21% and shared it with some of his soju snob friends who were all quite impressed. It is one of the few distilled things I have ever given out and it made me feel good that I could impress even the most discerning soju snob :D Every now and then I think about trying another batch but I messed one up once and although it made good spirits it was such a pain in the ass to do that I prefer to spend my time making brandy.

A message to new members
My Simple Controller
My Apple Brandy Recipe
cranky
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby aircarbonarc » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:22 pm

This is a great thread and very inspiring. So lastnight I made my first 12Gal of rice wheat Pilsner mash. I used a 20# sack of American long grain white rice, I was amazed how easily the rice turned to a startchy goop. Instead of using enzyme I used 17#s of a 71% wheat 39% pilsner blend I scored. It converted the rice starch so well and tasted like rice crispy squares! Added Ec1118 so I could have a vodka type liquor. I will add 10#s of sugar in a few days to fortify the mash and try running it through my reflux. Rice is a very impressive form of starch and I was thinking of making some rice malt whisky in the future using maybe 25-40% rice with 2 row as a basemalt as well as a little rye or something for flavor. I'd like to make a clean and mild grain liquor.
Rum!
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes