Pintoshine's Fast Fermenting Molasses Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greenthumb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pintoshine's Fast Fermenting Molasses Wash

Post by greenthumb »

Great vids pintoshine, especially like the corn starch conversion, something im very interested in, once the new rig has been mastered I will delve deeper into this matter :D

I dont have easy access to rain water ( never thought id hear myself say that in the uk ) I mean I dont have a way to collect it, I do have a 15 feet well that I dug on my allotment would this water surfice, once its been flushed at start of season I drink it most of the year, pretty good drop!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

casper the Irish wrote:Temp is constant 24degC day and night.
That's pretty cool for a Rum Wash in my opinion, bump it up to 38C and watch it go.
casper the Irish
Swill Maker

Post by casper the Irish »

What about pH? I measure my raw Molly at 3.7 and Aryo says keep it around 5.5 for the microbes, otherwise 4.8

So I prep the Molly by clarifying and adding milk of lime. Also since I boil the sugar with trub and dunder, the pot ale needs its pH balanced. But then I read that yeast flocs with Calcium. So after clarifying at 190° it should ppt out on cooling

Did I read Is that what the Epsom Mg is for, to heal the yeast from calcium?
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Started a 1G test of this wash using feed molasses

OG turned out at 1.069 and ph was 6.2 when pitched yeast.

I used mostly RO water but used some Tap water to ensure some minerals etc..

This will let me know also how much sugar is in the molasses from the feed store has and if there will be any issues before wasting a larger ferment.

So far its sure fermenting fast!

B
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

This was done in 24hours or less. The FG was 1.030 so based on that the molasses was 56% suger... pretty normal for blackstrap from a feed place I guess. Ph was right at 6 when do also.

What FG do you normally end up with. Looks like you are using Higher Sugar Percentage Molasses? About what %

B
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

I just want to bump this recipe. Because it fits to the nutrients dispute we had yesterday. I don't want to jump into the main thread of the other recipe, because it would cause only more trouble.

Pintos recipe is also an all molasses wash, and uses DAP but no epsom salt. Pintoshine doesn't say, why no epsom salt. But it's obvious I think: Blackstrap molasses contains 0.2 - 0.5% magnesium and is also rich in sulfuric compounds. So there is no need to add further epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).
Later Pinto writes "if you use brown sugar, you have to add magnesium sulfate(USP Epsom Salt)". Yes. This shows, Pinto has understood where the differences between an all molly wash and a sugarhead Rum wash are. And this 11 years ago! I know, he isn't here anymore unfortunately.

But molasses don't have easy consumable nitrogen, only amino acids, which the yeast has to destroy first before consuming their nitrogen. And this produces fusel alcohols and the wash won't get 100% dry. Good or bad? I think, if you make esters from the fusels, it's good (but this demands a more complicated recipe), if not, it's bad. A simple Rum recipe should avoid fusel alcohols.

Does the Rum industry add nutrients? Of course. Or what do you think, how they get their ferments dry in 24h? Which nutrients? The only source I have is from Arroyo: He used ammonium hydroxide. First for multiplying the yeast (then it doesn't need to multiply in the wash. So it can ferment very fast and also without other nutrients like vitamine B without issues). And then also in the wash.
But probably there s no great difference if one uses ammonium hydroxide or amm sulfate or DAP or fertilizer. The real difference is if you use something with easy accessable nitrogen or not.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

pintoshine wrote: In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
:thumbup: