Pintoshine's Fast Fermenting Molasses Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pintoshine
Distiller

Pintoshine's Fast Fermenting Molasses Wash

Post by pintoshine »

Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKQfzutmf4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6R4_9-etY

I would like to contribute a recipe for a really vigorous fermenter with a very good taste. Best of all no long cook time.

I mix all my stuff in a large 25 gallon pot.

First I add 6.5 gallons rain water (important ingredient, no chlorine).
I then measure up the wall to twice the height to know when to stop adding water.
I add 3 gallons of GFS (Gordon’s Food Service) Black Strap Molasses.

In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the contents from the small pot to the large container. Add another cup of dry yeast. Top up with water to the mark. Stir everything thoroughly. I use a paint stirrer and a drill and aerate well.

This gets split between two 6.5 gallon carboys. The first time I tried this I had to drill out the holes in the fermentation locks to keep them from coming off the bottles. This stuff generates a bit of heat so I don’t have to supply any in a 68 degree F room. The last time I made this it fermented completely in 36 hours. This is pretty good for bakers yeast.

After this is distilled (I use a pot still with a glass doubler) this is a fine drink. Despite the aggressive taste of the molasses, it comes off really smooth for white rum. The vigorous and fast fermentation along with the rain water keep the off tastes to a minimum.

I usually get 2.3 gallons of 100P. I usually hit my expected yield.

The Rum recipe originated in trying to ferment HFCS 55 which I get for $0.25 per pound. The first time I used the GFS Blackstrap, it nearly stuck. I tried a heating pad and more nutrients. The resulting spirit was bad. I was pretty sure the Blackstrap was lacking some nutrients to get a faster and thus cleaner fermentation. So I tried my HFCS55 recipe and it worked better than expected. The only difference in the HFCS55 and the Blackstrap is that the Blackstrap already has enough acidity. For the HFCS55 I have to add about a teaspoon per 5 gallons of wash. I usually shoot for a PH of about 5.5 with the HFCS. It seems to not stress the yeast as bad. Also, I generally try to get a SP of 1.070 for the the sugar. When I make up a batch of HFCS I make whopper sized batches for vodka. The low yield is worth the extremely fast fermentation without having to by Turbos. I prefer to distill a lot rather than wait for long fermentations.

You will notice I mentioned rain water in this discussion a number of times. I have found that clean rain water has some sort of magical property about it that causes things to ferment frantically. It is slightly carbonated and mildly acidic once it sets in the barrel a day or two. It is very nice if you have a clean source because it requires no dechlorination and has no ground contaminants.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

So are you saying that this would not work if you don't use rain water? Or maybe not as well? What about spring water, or distilled water?
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

MisterSteve124 wrote:So are you saying that this would not work if you don't use rain water? Or maybe not as well? What about spring water, or distilled water?
Pint, along with the above question, will boiled (and re areated) water work?

H.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

Deathwish uses tap water but doesn't get as strong a fermentation, even after dechlorination. I our area we have chloramine and it is a bear to get rid of. We have tried L-ascorbic acid(vitamin C) without good results and also several fish tank dechlorinaters and potassium metabisulfite. Our tap water here is just bad stuff. If you can dechlorinate the water successfully or use spring water it should be fine as long as it is not store bought spring water with preservatives. I just prefer rain water because I am out in the country and collect it for washing cars and watering the garden and many other uses. It comes off the house pure and clean after the initial rain cleans off the roof.
My spring only runs half the year but it is wonderful water too being high in calcium and magnesium. It is 1200 yards from the house and down the hill. I almost need a deep well pump to get it up here. So I only use it once in a while.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Ok my water is pretty clean and we have filters that we change regularly so I think I might give it a try. That was one of the fastest ferments I have ever seen.
p_su
Novice

Post by p_su »

pinto -

Those videos look great - nice recipe. Do you think that the recipe would work if brown sugar was substituted for molasses? I can get light brown sugar for $2 more per 50lb sack than white sugar - but molasses here is more expensive than the GFS stuff you're able to get. I'm sure there is no straight across substitution (perhaps a fraction between molasses and brown sugar)- but if you have any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

if you use brown sugar, you have to add magnesium sulfate(USP Epsom Salt) at a rate of 1/8 tsp (small pinch) per gallon. 2 tsp per 13 gallons is what I use. In addition you will need acid. Preferably citric acid which is available in most wine and beer suppliers. I get mine locally at an Indian/Pakistani grocery. The citric acid is used at 2 tsp per 13 gallon also. Be careful of the acid it is really strong and will really acidify the stuff too much if you overdo it.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Wikipedia says that you can use 3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar to substitute for 1 cup of molasses.
pintoshine wrote: In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
When you say one a day stle multi-vitamins do you mean like the vitamins that people take? And sorry but what is DAP?
Last edited by MisterSteve124 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alice
Swill Maker

Post by alice »

I've never seen a ferment as wild as that before either. Last time I tried molasses the ferment was as slow as...well, molasses...
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Last time I did a molasses wash it was 100% molasses. I heated it to 145F or so then let it cool down on it's own. It took a long time to cool down. Then I pitched the yeast and it fermented out in about 24 hours.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

A full ferment in 24 hours? How'd it taste?
BW Redneck
Trainee

Post by BW Redneck »

MisterSteve124 wrote:When you say one a day stle multi-vitamins do you mean like the vitamins that people take? And sorry but what is DAP?
Yes, we mean the daily multivitamins that people would take. The multivitamin provides assorted minerals and vitamins (esp. the B-complex) that are either not present in the molasses or not enough in large quantities. A lot more is present in the 2 cups of dead yeast.

DAP=Diammonium Phosphate. More on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diammonium_phosphate

DAP is a commercial nitrogen source used in agriculture. Homebrewers use it as a yeast nutrient.
"If you can't dazzle them with brilliance... baffle them with bullshit."
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
"Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see"

20lt small pot still, working on keg
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Ok thanks BW Redneck and pint I will have to try this recipe out, a buddy of mine has been bugging me for some rum.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I still call it DAP out of habit. The stuff found in most brew and wine making supplies is like this.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products ... rodID=4953" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
this is exactly what I use but I can get it local to me.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Ok I think I should be able to get that at my brew store, if not I'll order it online. I am going to try this over christmas.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

When you put the molasses and rain water on the stove do you just heat it up or bring it to a boil? And how long do you keep it on for? Thanks
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

I only heat the nutrients and not the molasses. I boild the nutrients for about 15 to 20 minutes.
pintoshine wrote:In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add the contents from the small pot to the large container. Add another cup of dry yeast. Top up with water to the mark. Stir everything thoroughly. I use a paint stirrer and a drill and aerate well.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Oh ok I must have gotten confused so you just pour the molasses into the water in the fermenter? Do you mix it at all?
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

pintoshine wrote:I only heat the nutrients and not the molasses. I boild the nutrients for about 15 to 20 minutes.
pintoshine wrote:In a separate pot, on the stove, I put one gallon of rain water. To this I add 4 one a day style multi-vitamins that I have crushed thoroughly in mortar. I then add 13 teaspoons of DAP (one tsp per gallon of wash). I then add one cup (from GFS 2 pound bag) of Red Star active dry baking yeast. I bring this to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.

RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

Great to hear that the GFS blackstrap can make a fine product; it's a little more per gallon than I'd like to spend but it's certainly fit for human consumption (some animal feeds are not). And it just a few bucks, so why am I complaining? :lol:
p_su
Novice

Post by p_su »

Just made some of this wash subbing in brown sugar and Epsom salts - it's only been a few hours and already everything is bubbling away more quickly than any other recipe I've tried so far. Thanks Pinto!
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

RadicalEd1 wrote:Great to hear that the GFS blackstrap can make a fine product; it's a little more per gallon than I'd like to spend but it's certainly fit for human consumption (some animal feeds are not). And it just a few bucks, so why am I complaining? :lol:
You're not gunna consume the mollasses though?

You're only gunna consume the condensed steam from the finnished ferment. :wink:
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

Just started this recipe, took 8 jars of molasses from the store (I divided the recipe by 4). That was all the jars that they had on the shelf. I also added a little club soda to it since you said the rain water is slightly carbonated and acidic. I'll let you know how it turns out.
RadicalEd1
Bootlegger

Post by RadicalEd1 »

I stripped a 5 gallon batch of GFS blackstrap wash yesterday (I did cheat from your recipe a bit and used brewers yeast for the fermentation), and slowed it way down halfway through to collect 300mL @60% to see the difference between single and double distilled. I had a more knowledgeable friend come over and give it a try today; he's big on liquor but doesn't know much about the process. It was kinda funny because he was certain it tasted like good heavy dark rum, but the clear appearance told him to expect more bacardi like flavor. Believe you me, the expression on his face was priceless :D.

So now I'm torn between coloring it, spicing it, or leaving it as is :p. I've got a gallon or so a 40% to redistill, so maybe I'll play a bit :D.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Do half and half and compare in a few months.
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
noobstiller
Novice

Post by noobstiller »

Defiantly going to attempt this one when i collect enough rain water. I can see how the rain water would help, it has to have hella good nutrients in it, not to mention it would be pretty pure.
hoochinoo
Swill Maker

Post by hoochinoo »

... maybe its me. But I am not too keen on using any water coming from the sky anymore.
I get fresh snow for cooling down my condenser and after the water melts and I am done to clean up there is black residue at the bottom of my holding tank. Not sure.
Wilbl777
Novice

Re: Pintoshine's Fast Fermenting Molasses Wash

Post by Wilbl777 »

Im new to all of this, but followed the recipe to a tee..and it is ferminting like crazy..Just been readin other recipes, and wondering...once its done do i let it set to clear? or rack it off to clear? if so, how long just i let it settle? Thanks
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

This is one recipe that profits in flavor from distilling on a freshly fermented wash. As soon as it quits fermenting, it will usually settle in a matter of hours. Distill the racked of part if you are picky. I usually just dump it in, all but the yeast that is glued to the bottom of the carboy. It gives the rum a full flavor.
Wilbl777
Novice

Post by Wilbl777 »

Thanks a bunch for your help..This stuff is bubblin' like crazy,lol... One more quick question.. I see you said you have a glass doubler, Being new to this.. I just have a basic pot still, would you suggest double distillin this stuff?