Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Post by MartinCash » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:36 pm

You will probably find it harder to do cuts on a single pass, as they'll be more smeared than in a spirit run of a few combined strips.

Provided you didn't throw anything away, you always have the option of re-combining everything together and re-running it. Heads in your main product sounds to me more like a cuts mistake than anything else.

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm

yep - that's what sucks - threw all in the feints with the neutral feints - as per Pugi's instructions. Only kept the small amount of Oils aside. I think (may be biased) my cuts were great on blending day, as i mentioned, Heads, hearts and tails were all above 80% - which was what was throwing me out. Mind you, i have only really made neutral up until this point. So, my thoughts on what heads and tails were, (mainly heads) were somewhat different as I have never made rum. really what i went of was that kind of 'sting' that i would associate with the sweeter heads on a neutral/vodka to differentiate the cut, as up until the tails it was not as straight forward as i have done prior.

MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Did you dilute the cuts to 30% or so for tasting? I can tell you from experience that tasting anything much over 40% will quickly kill your taste buds. I've had to redistil a batch because of this. I started with the hearts, then by the time I got to where the tails ought to start, I couldn't taste them. Heads I go by smell and are a little easier.

If your product is coming out at 80%, you should be diluting at a minimum 1:1, I would go a little more because it seems to bring out smells better at lower ABV.

WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm

StriaghtJakket wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:21 pm
yep - that's what sucks - threw all in the feints with the neutral feints - as per Pugi's instructions. Only kept the small amount of Oils aside. I think (may be biased) my cuts were great on blending day, as i mentioned, Heads, hearts and tails were all above 80% - which was what was throwing me out. Mind you, i have only really made neutral up until this point. So, my thoughts on what heads and tails were, (mainly heads) were somewhat different as I have never made rum. really what i went of was that kind of 'sting' that i would associate with the sweeter heads on a neutral/vodka to differentiate the cut, as up until the tails it was not as straight forward as i have done prior.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Sounds like you know how to cuts for neutral. But with all the flavor that comes through with a Rum it will be trickier. The above link by YummyRum is a good write up to keep your cut samples abv consistent to help limit the ABV variable. He suggest 35% ABV is ideal. But I have heard others say as low as 20% can be useful. But I think the key is being consistent with whatever ABV you choose.

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:53 am

MartinCash wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Did you dilute the cuts to 30% or so for tasting?
If your product is coming out at 80%, you should be diluting at a minimum 1:1, I would go a little more because it seems to bring out smells better at lower ABV.
correct, yeah i always bring it down to to about 40 - it has never been 'scientific' i just use a syringe and eyeball it depending on the ABV of the jar.
WithOrWithoutU2 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Sounds like you know how to cuts for neutral. But with all the flavor that comes through with a Rum it will be trickier. The above link by YummyRum is a good write up to keep your cut samples abv consistent to help limit the ABV variable. He suggest 35% ABV is ideal. But I have heard others say as low as 20% can be useful. But I think the key is being consistent with whatever ABV you choose.
Mate, that is a good read! as above only use a syringe. it is not the cuts so much I am worried about. realistically from reading a tone of Rum posts, i will wait to see how it ages after a couple of months. what has thrown me was the very high ABV through the run up until the end, 6 or so litres of +80% up until the last few jars.