Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Re: Pugi's Rum or "Pugirum"

Postby Snackson » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Canaanite wrote:If this is your very first wash and you have no dunder, how is the recipe modified?

It's right in the original recipe, substitute water for the dunder.

I just threw down 25 gallons of it using 5 gallons of golden barrel blackstrap molasses and 8 pounds of raw cane sugar. The garage smells fantastic and I can't wait to run it this weekend.
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby Canaanite » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Snackson wrote:
Canaanite wrote:If this is your very first wash and you have no dunder, how is the recipe modified?

It's right in the original recipe, substitute water for the dunder.

I just threw down 25 gallons of it using 5 gallons of golden barrel blackstrap molasses and 8 pounds of raw cane sugar. The garage smells fantastic and I can't wait to run it this weekend.

Damn... read it 2 or 3 times and I skipped over that part every time. Thanks
I'm gonna invest in stocks and bonds. Lace stockings and "un"Bonded Whiskey.
Canaanite
Bootlegger

Postby youngdumbfullofrum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:59 pm

what would be the ratio's for your butter all brown sugar rum wash? any SG ratings to go by? sounds like a good recipe, bulk browns sugar is cheap as chips where I am. Molasses is attainable but requires a fair drive out into the country.
youngdumbfullofrum
Novice

Postby GSP » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:34 pm

On the stripping runs, just go to 20%, correct? All that is left in the still goes towards the dunder pit?
GSP
Novice

Postby shadylane » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:12 pm

GSP wrote:On the stripping runs, just go to 20%, correct?

20% probably is in the ball part. But I like to strip until the first fusel oil starts floating on the low-wines
Then save the tails in smaller increments. There maybe some good low proof flavors hiding in the tails

GSP wrote:All that is left in the still goes towards the dunder pit?

Rum distillers of old, would dump the spent boiler charge in a hole in the ground.
Then use the nasty water in the next still charge.
shadylane
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby BoisBlancBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 am

For a pot still/thumper combo what do you think would be the best to put into the thumper for a spirit run? I was thinking a 1-2 gallons of fresh wash because of the flavor.

Also do you collect the rum oils on stripping and spirit runs?
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Postby Windy City » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:50 am

Just collect rum oils on the spirit run.
Everything from the stripping run goes into the boiler for the spirit run.
The liver is evil and must be punished
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby wtfdskin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58 am

I use two thumpers for rum. One charged with tails one with heads from previous spirit runs, both diluted with dunder. If you dont have dunder fresh wash would work excellent if your looking for a heavy flavored rum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Postby BoisBlancBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 am

wtfdskin wrote:I use two thumpers for rum. One charged with tails one with heads from previous spirit runs, both diluted with dunder. If you dont have dunder fresh wash would work excellent if your looking for a heavy flavored rum.

Would have happen to be able to describe the difference between the flavor with the thumper charged with Dunder vs wash?
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Postby wtfdskin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:57 pm

I cant really say as far as a difference, ive never used wash for dilution.im assuming the flavor would be concentrated more with dunder since its been cooked, and aged, infected dunder has all kinds of funky esters goin on in there i couldnt even begin to describe

wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Postby buckwheat2016 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:42 am

PUGIDOGS wrote:Pugirum:

After many, many pounds of fermentables and different washes and procedures, I have come up with this recipe for Rum.

I want to say thanx to many people that have helped me and you may see some of there ideas in my recipe. THANX

I will start with my " Yeast Bomb "
2 vitamin B, crushed with mortor and pestal
5 teaspoons of 20-0-0, agrcultural fertalizer
1/4 teaspoon of epsom salt
1/4 cup bakers yeast
1 gallon water
Boil all for 15 minutes and strain.

The wash: 10 gallons total
2 gallons of feed molasses
4 LBS of cane brown sugar
the "yeast bomb" = 1 gallon
4 gallons water
3 gallons dunder or water for the first time you make the wash. Dunder is whats left in the still after a STRIPPING run!!!
1 cup bakers yeast

This will ferment out in less than 36 hours. So give it plenty of head room in fermenter or buy a good mop. Let sit for a day to settle.

Drain fermenter and leave about 1/2 gallon of wash in it. This leaves the yeast in there ready and willing to go with next wash. Strip this as fast as the still can go and I mean FAST. We are forcing the flavors through.

Make the wash again and pour on to the yeast left in the fermenter. Then strip again. Add the 2 stripped washes into still with equal amount of dunder that you have saved and the RUM OILS( see below )

Now for the tricky part. On the spirit run:
Run it easy, not to fast, not to slow.
Make the heads to hearts cut like normal and add heads to the vodka/neutral container, do NOT reuse these in your rum.
Run out hearts till you start to get the wet cardboard taste. On my still this is between 85% ABV and 50% ABV. Collect wet cardboard spirits and add to vodka/neutral container. Do NOT reuse these in you rum. For me this is from about 50% ABV down to 40% ABV.
Collect the 40% ABV down to 20% ABV in seperate container. These are your RUM OILS. Handle them with care and treat them special. Always add them to your still when you do a SPIRIT run and always collect them from the spirit run. The more times you use them the more concentrated they become. It wont take long and they will overflow into the hearts. This is the KEY to My rum.

To the full strength spirt run distillant I add:
One slice of pinapple per gallon
2 cloves per gallon
1/2 ounce of raisens per gallon
leave for a month shaking every now and then.
Cut to proof

I use home made carmalized sugar to color. Do not burn the camalized sugar but do make sure it colors up good. I have tried molasses but prefer the carmelized sugar.

This is a full body/taste rum. It is a fairly heavy rum and you will taste and smell the molasses.

Enjoy, Pugi

For the yeast bomb you boil the yeast to?
buckwheat2016
Novice

Postby Still Life » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:02 am

buckwheat2016 wrote: For the yeast bomb you boil the yeast to?

Yes. In "the bomb", the yeast is boiled (and killed) for its nutritional value only.
Pitch your live, fermenting yeast separately as usual.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Tried and True Recipes