Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oat,Wheat,Rye Whiskey/whisky

Post by StillerBoy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I've not done anything with enzymes before, can anyone elaborate on what I need to use please?
If you were to take the time to read the thread properly, you would see that there is a post (up above some 6 or 7 post) on the liquid enzymes..

Please take the time read, not be so quick asking questions which have already answered..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas "

– Albert Einstein

OtisT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by OtisT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I've not done anything with enzymes before, can anyone elaborate on what I need to use please?
I use “SEBStar HTL” as my high temp enzyme. My local stores don’t carry it and I ordered in-line. I believe a 4 oz bottle will last ya for about 120 gallons of ferment (from memory, so check the label).

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels

Twisted Brick
Distiller

Post by Twisted Brick » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:27 pm

I too, use SebStar HTL and SEBAmyl GL and love 'em. Easy to use and effective on AG mashes.

There are guidelines for use, including dosage, temp range and pH.

You can find them here: Enzymash.com
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun

still_chillin
Novice

Post by still_chillin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I learned a very hard lesson this weekend while running this recipe... I have been a bit lazy cleaning the tower on my pot still. Some kind of funk had built up. It wasn't noticeable while running, but after airing the whisky out for a day, it developed a very bad odor. I went to smell my column and it had the same nasty smell and medicinal taste.
Anyhow, I let the whisky air for a couple of days. It is still medicinal tasting, but the funky smell is gone. I also ran it very slow (a drop every second) since I only wanted one run. No flavor or body came over at all.
Well, at least I have the sugar piggyback finishing up. I've cleaned the still and hope for better results. Lesson learned.

dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 am

I also recently did this recipe
Its good
The only thing is i got a husky type taste a bit
Like the dry husk from corn
I used whole feed oats
It taste like the husk a bit
But with some time it is going away
I never used whole oats before
Btw its smooth and silky
But yes all the above
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed

Daniel Baker
Novice

Post by Daniel Baker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Is there any reason to start the mash at 180 F and let it cool down to hit the rest points? I'm planning on a BIAB multi-step mash. I would like to rest at 113–118 F (beta-glucanase/protein rest), then 140–149 (lower saccharization temp favors fermentable sugars over non-fermentable sugars for a better yield). I have added some 2-row malted barley as a source of enzymes.

This seems to me like it should work well, but I've never mashed an all-adjunct (from a beer brewer's point of view) grain bill. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

bentstick
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bentstick » Tue May 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Nope no reason,but is not what I did,the recipe is here, play as ya will and enjoy your makins,this was something I was lookin for and found it,take it as far as ya will and post your results :thumbup:
It is what you make it

loadie2004
Novice

Post by loadie2004 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 am

Hello everyone.

I am looking for some advice.

I have been trying a version of this recipe and I am getting very poor SG. I thought it may be my mash tun set up so I "improved" it but it didn't help. So now I am looking for some advice.

This is what I am using.

3.4 lbs oats
2.0 lbs wheat
1.3 lbs malted wheat
2.0 lbs rye
1.3 lbs malted rye

I heated 5 gallons of water up to 180 F, add the oats, wheat and rye to my mash tun and pour the strike water in. This lowers the water temp to about 160 F. I added 1/2 tsp of Alpha Amylase, stir to make sure I don't have any dough balls, turn on my recirculating pump and let it sit for 90 minutes. After 90 minutes I add the malted wheat and malted rye and another 3 gallons of water to bring the temp back up to 160 F. I then let it sit for another 90 minutes recirculating.

I drain my tun into a carboy and sparge the mash until my carboy is full.

Once everything has cooled (usually the next morning) I test my SG. I have only been getting around 1.020. My last attempt only got 1.015. So I end up adding 2 kgs of corn sugar, my yeast (ec1118) and let it go.

I would really like to get an SG high enough so I don't have to add sugar.

All my grains are milled. No flakes.

Thoughts?

Todd

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix » Fri May 24, 2019 11:47 am

Not enough initial heat and too short a time is my guess.
Get that water to a rolling boil and pour it onto your oats, wheat and rye, and insulate the bucket with blankets for 90 minutes.
Then let it come down to 180°F on its own, and pick it up from there. I betcha that solves the problem.

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc » Sat May 25, 2019 5:52 am

How big is your carboy? You start with 5 gallons strike water, then add 3 gallons, then add spare water. You've got 8+ gallons of water but only 10 lbs of grain if I'm following this right. Usually shoot for 2-2.5 lbs grain/gallon of mash for a decent SG. I think your grain bill is too low. Get a thumper and make life simple. Ferment on the grain (no sparge), put the liquid in your boiler and slop in the thump. No straining or squeezing needed and not a single drop of alcohol wasted. I'll never use a paint bag, mop bucket, or 400 micron strainer again.

gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg » Sat May 25, 2019 10:38 am

Loadie,

I know lots of guys on here get great results with no boil methods, just pouring the boiling water on and letting it do it's thing. In my personal experience, I have to hold a slow simmer for about an hour to maximize my yields. (With corn change that to a rolling boil for a couple of hours!). Also, since I use home made malts, I use backup enzymes for insurance. The malts are there more for flavor than anything else. Without that slow simmer, seems I lose a 1/3 or more of my potential yield. Doesn't bother me to simmer it as I'm not trying to beat any speed records since this is after all a hobby! (Plus, I've got a drill powered stirring device I made so not much work. Kind of like the one Pint uses in his Youtube video teaching the use of enzymes on corn) Just what works for me.

Greg

loadie2004
Novice

Post by loadie2004 » Mon May 27, 2019 12:09 pm

Tummydoc wrote:How big is your carboy? You start with 5 gallons strike water, then add 3 gallons, then add spare water. You've got 8+ gallons of water but only 10 lbs of grain if I'm following this right. Usually shoot for 2-2.5 lbs grain/gallon of mash for a decent SG. I think your grain bill is too low. Get a thumper and make life simple. Ferment on the grain (no sparge), put the liquid in your boiler and slop in the thump. No straining or squeezing needed and not a single drop of alcohol wasted. I'll never use a paint bag, mop bucket, or 400 micron strainer again.

Tummydoc, My carboy is 6 gallons. I loose a lot of water to the grains soaking them up. I was wondering if my grain bill was too small, so I am glad you mentioned it. I may up it by 25% next time. I don't have the room for a thumper. Maybe someday.

MichiganCornhusker
Master Distiller

Post by MichiganCornhusker » Mon May 27, 2019 6:23 pm

loadie, I suggest you give us a little info about your background with 'stillin to be able to help you out here.
I don't see any post in the Welcome Center, that would be a good place to pop in and tell us a bit about yourself.

Based on what I see I have to say that it looks like you're just in over your head here.

This is a very good recipe. It makes a damn fine white whiskey, IF you follow this recipe. It is designed for mashing, fermenting, and stripping, on-grain.

Oats tend to be sticky.
Wheat tends to be sticky.
Rye tends to be sticky. Oh, an prone to scorch.

You could triple your grain bill and get your OG up to 1.060, maybe, and still meet with disaster when you try to strip the ferment.

Like I say, I don't know your background, not trying to bash you, just letting you know that this is not a good recipe for a noob to improvise on.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...

mrblues4625
Novice

Post by mrblues4625 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:59 pm

I would love to do this but, I am having a hard time finding all the ingredients. I'm finding malted wheat and rye for around $25.00 per 10 lbs. so im looking at over $50.00 for just a part of the grains needed. Any one have a good sourcing for the ingredients needed?

StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by StillerBoy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:19 pm

This a great white whiskey.. as for the price of grains, that's about right.. I've paid a little less, but much.. I think, and would have to check my grain order for the prices, but from the top of head, it was in the neigborhood of about 55$ for 5 - 5 gal batches..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my ideas "

– Albert Einstein

mrblues4625
Novice

Post by mrblues4625 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:16 pm

Is it worth the money and the work????

Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:53 am

mrblues4625 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:16 pm
Is it worth the money and the work????
If you just want to get drunk, no it's not. Just get turbo yeast and make 20% sugar washes.

If you want a fine sipping drop and like rye, yes, deffo worth it
Don't be a dick

Twisted Brick
Distiller

Post by Twisted Brick » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:27 am

If you don't mind the work, try malting the wheat and rye at home. It's not difficult, and should cut your malt expense in half.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun

mrblues4625
Novice

Post by mrblues4625 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:34 am

I take pride in making the good stuff Swedish. I've seen a couple of videos on how to make tumblers for malting. One cool one from Bearded and Bored. I could use another toy in the shed!!!

cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:28 am

mrblues4625 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:59 pm
I would love to do this but, I am having a hard time finding all the ingredients. I'm finding malted wheat and rye for around $25.00 per 10 lbs. so im looking at over $50.00 for just a part of the grains needed. Any one have a good sourcing for the ingredients needed?
Can you buy whole grains cheaper and malt yourself to save $? This is not only fun but once you get in the flow of it, can work out so that you can malt enough grains between ferments. Once you learn how to do this it isn't hard.

Can you mill yourself or have a heavy duty blender that will do the job for now?

While not exactly this recipe per say you can check you local super market for whole grain flour made from wheat and rye and use this as part of the unmalted portions to get your costs lower and get a "taste" of this true recipe. You'll have more work during the sparging but it costs you zero.

Have you checked or googled to see if there is any local or semi local malt houses in your area? Or whole grain operations?
For example anyone in my area can get a full load of wheat (pickup truck bed) for $50 but then need to clean it within 5 miles from my house.

Without giving to much info out, lets just say anyone in my area can get whole grains (2 row, wheat, rye) at about 50 cent per pound unmalted and about $1.05 per lb malted (9/2019). If the person can't mill themselves then add 3 to 5 cents per pound depending on grain for milling. The same exact grains are sold at local brew stores for $2+ per pound and usually at $2.50 or so.

So my point is to shop around and see if there are any local malt shops/farms or wholesale grain dealers near you. Or think about giving the recipe a "rough" try using flour for the unmalted parts.

All grains are more work then sugar washes but can be cheaper overall as "sugar washes" aren't exactly cheap when you know how to convert starches to sugars properly and offer a far more complex taste. This is especially true for "corn mashes" which isn't called for in this recipe.

Personally I don't find it worthwhile to malt corn or oats but barley and wheat are far better malted IMHO. Rye can be used malted or not depending on beer profile but that's just me.

So my point is to check and see if you have "alternate" sources of grains you can use and possibly malt yourself to lower costs.

At the end of the day you DO need to CALCULATE RETURN on oak vs cost but even with high costs I think you'll find the cost to be less then half of a good drop purchased from the local store. Knowing your drop can be much better in a couple of years on ageing hopefully plays into your calculations.
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.

madmace
Novice

Post by madmace » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Maybe I missed it.
Anybody have a scaled down version of this say 5-10 gallon mash.
If so I’de appreciate it.
Happy distilling brothers
Stay safe

HomerD
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HomerD » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Use 1/5 the amount of everything in the original recipe for a 7 gallon mash.

Homer
[align=][/align]Stay strapped or get clapped.
15.5 gallon boiler, 5 gallon thumper, shotgun condenser, 57” spiraled liebig,
mash steam cooker head, 5.5 kW element with SCR controller
All modular

StillerBoy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by StillerBoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:48 pm

madmace wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm
Anybody have a scaled down version of this say 5-10 gallon mash.
This the scaled version that I've used to make Bendstick's..

The scale is for a 1 gal mash.. so for 5 gal just multiply by 5, so on.. and milled all the grains to coarse meal size, mashed high temp first part, and mashed malted one at 150*..

Oats.. .714 lb whole berries milled/crushed
Wheat.. .428 lb wheat berries / .285 lb malted milled
Rye.. .428 lb wheat berries / .285 lb malted milled

Then just follow the mashing process he used..

Mars

– Albert Einstein

madmace
Novice

Post by madmace » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm

Maybe I missed it Dies anybody have a scaled down version
Maybe 5-10 gal mash
Thank you

madmace
Novice

Post by madmace » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Sorry just saw response
Happy dustilling

TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 pm

madmace wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:13 pm
Maybe I missed it Dies anybody have a scaled down version
Maybe 5-10 gal mash
Thank you
I see that you are NOT a noob.
One of the first things I learned it takes just a little more effort to make a large enough mash for 3-4 stripping runs for a good spirit run.

Plus, it'll keep for a while.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:11 am

TDick wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 pm
I see that you are NOT a noob.
One of the first things I learned it takes just a little more effort to make a large enough mash for 3-4 stripping runs for a good spirit run.

Plus, it'll keep for a while.
[/quote]

This was my thought given what I'm learning the more I read here while I wait for the brown van Santa.
My goal in this adventure is to make whiskey. Good whiskey. Not hoards of it, but enough to keep me happy and share with close friends. I figure I'll make 15 gallon mashes and run 5 gallons at a time through my 8 gallon boiler, combining the three stripping runs to make a final Spirit run. If I end up with 6 qts of pleasant 80 proof spirit from a 15 gallon mash, I figure I'm a winner. Otherwise it'll all be hand sanitizer, lighter fluid, and weed killer. :lol:
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

VLAGAVULVIN
Trainee

Post by VLAGAVULVIN » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 am

Got it cloudy after proofing down to 40%AbV. But I don't care: no charcoal, no cold filtration, no adding neutral alco to get it back transparent.

As good as is. Thank you bentstick, cheers!

Never make banana brandy. And never ferment potatoes: better make banana brandy... Oct.20, 2019

Watching your run is making me lazy (c) James LaBrie