Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by Tummydoc » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:09 am

Its been my go to recipe for a year, but now I'm on to chocolate sundae bourbon, love that!

jonnys_spirit
Distiller

Post by jonnys_spirit » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 am

gilmore-whiskey.jpg
Quite partial over here too!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i make stuff i break stuff
water into whiskey into water
just getting started in home distilling - been drinking for decades
16g copper pot still, 10l alembic, and a column or two
————

Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:04 pm

Milled or not to be Milled: I'm looking at a few websites for the ingredients needed to make this potion and a couple of them offer the product milled or whole. Yes I do have a grain grinder however is it just easier to have the company do it? Thank you in advance...

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 pm

I grind my own, because i order grain in multiple batch volumes. Their grind will be a crack for beer but i want flour. Also unground will last longer without oxidizing if you're not going to use it all soon

Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:26 am

Tummydoc wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:16 pm
I grind my own, because i order grain in multiple batch volumes. Their grind will be a crack for beer but i want flour. Also unground will last longer without oxidizing if you're not going to use it all soon
Thanks Tummydoc, I appreciate the advice and it makes sense...

Opiosrex
Novice

Post by Opiosrex » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:46 pm

Noob question should the wheat be mealed or no????

StriaghtJakket
Novice

Post by StriaghtJakket » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Do you mean Mealed or Milled, as in using wheat germ or meal - or whole wheat and Milling it?
sorry mate cant help with that. I have not done any whole grains as of yet. mainly washes and Rum.

Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Mealed??? Malted? Milled? Yes use malted wheat and mill it, I fine grind to at least a "meal" if not flour.

just_still
Novice

Post by just_still » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 am

I've done one small 6gal wash/ferment of this honey bear recipe and it went far from smoothly. I'm new to distilling, and still dealing with the logistics of all that corn, and I still haven't come to terms with the idea of fermenting on grain. I tried to mash in a bag and remove the grain prior to fermenting like I would with a beer and what a mess that was. I significantly underestimated the water retention of the corn. I didn't have any rice hulls or anything on hand to help it drain, and trying to squeeze out a large suspended bag of corn goop left me with a sticky mess all over my floor. I ended up with 4.5 of my target 6 gal and decided to top up with fresh water. OG ended up at 1.049. I considered bumping that up with some sugar and decided against it, so after stripping down to 20% abv I only ended up with a little less than 3/4 gal of low wines.

The next batch of this I'm looking to ferment on the grain in a large enough vessel to get 2 or 3 boiler charges at once, probably going to go the trash can route with the easy large mash technique described by ShineonCrazyDiamond. I can be stripping the clear wash off the top while scooping out smaller amounts of grain at a time to squeeze the heck out of and reclaim as much volume as possible. I'll probably be doing this by hand until I can get a mop bucket, wine press, or something of that sort to facilitate the process.

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:37 am

just_still wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 am

The next batch of this I'm looking to ferment on the grain in a large enough vessel to get 2 or 3 boiler charges at once, probably going to go the trash can route with the easy large mash technique described by ShineonCrazyDiamond. I can be stripping the clear wash off the top while scooping out smaller amounts of grain at a time to squeeze the heck out of and reclaim as much volume as possible. I'll probably be doing this by hand until I can get a mop bucket, wine press, or something of that sort to facilitate the process.
This seems to be the preferred method around here, and it's worked for me so far. I'll be diving in to AG ferments this weekend with a Single Malt project to fill a 5 gallon barrel. Once that's done, I'll tackle a bourbon mash bill.
Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:13 pm

So just sitting here with a wee drop of HBB aged three years, Thank you shine on for this great recipe and method :thumbup:
hbb.JPG
Stay safe everyone
OVZ

BlueSasquatch
Novice

Post by BlueSasquatch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:01 am

I see now that It was 0.5# of Honey Malt, not a full 1.0# and looks like I'm at a 50/50 Corn/Other Mash bill, not quite 51% but I'll toss a corn kernel or two in there and we'll call it good.

-Mash Bill (x4)-
5 Gallons of High Quality H20
4# - Rahr Red Wheat Malt, Crushed
4# Rahr White Wheat Malt, Crushed
4# MaltEurop American 2-Row Pale Malt, Crushed
4# Flaked Oats; Unmilled
24# Flaked Maize, Unmilled
4# Honey Malt, Crushed
15g Red Star Distillers Active Dried Yeast
------------------------------------------------------
20 Gallons, 44# Grain*

*I was short-changed on the Corn, only ended up having enough for 5# per batch (20# Corn + 20# Others = 40# Total)
Forgot/Skipped the Oyster Shells.
Fermenting with Grains in 4; 5-gal Buckets with excess in 6-gallon Carboy.
S.G. of the 4 brews was around each 1.061

None of the corn really gelled up for me, so far only one time has it been noticeable, doesn't seem to impact my SG significantly? I tend to heat to 165, add corn (and others when called for) then stir until 153 and add the malt. . Started re-heating back to 165 for twice the time at temp, especially with it being 40 degrees F outside all day.

I plan on picking up a few brew bags to help speed up straining the mash into wash, My current method is literally a strainer and I don't squeeze, so I know I'm leaving liquid gold behind, is there a rough estimate on liquid loss due to grain expansion? Like 10% or some general number?

I would like to age some of this in a barrel, at around 40% ABV. If you wanted the best quality, you'd age only the hearts, correct? I'm contemplating two barrels, and aging the Hearts in one, and a mix of heads/tail in the other, to see if 3-6 months later there is a noticeable difference. I've never done a secondary spirit run, only a stripping run, may give that a go with this batch.

If the SG falls to 1, that's a 8% ABV wash, for simple math, keep it at 20 gallons. What do you think a good estimate is for the stripping run volume? What would a Spirit Run volume be? I've been reading different threads/sites on calculations and starting to get a tad lost, when someone is giving a % on these topics Im not always certain if they are talking ABV or Volume.

20 Gallons at 8% with 85% efficiency and target proof of 80, looking at 3 gallons before cuts, maybe 1 gallon of final hearts only product?

Thanks!

Halfbaked
Master Distiller

Post by Halfbaked » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:50 pm

Looks like you got yourself a hit shine on. I might have to try this

Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:11 am

Oldvine Zin wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:57 pm
Did a new years barrel drain of the HBB-O
HBB_O1.JPG
19 liters @ 67ABV when it went in
HBB-O2.JPG
15 liters (that includes the sample that I pulled the other day) @ 65ABV is what I collected
So around 20% to the angel's

Happy New Year
OVZ
OZ, what level char do you purchase with your barrels, just curious and by the way, your final product looked great...

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:36 am

Dutch41 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:11 am

OZ, what level char do you purchase with your barrels, just curious and by the way, your final product looked great...
My go to barrel is a 5 gal Gibbs, med toast and a #2 char. And the color was great, setting that glass on a brown desk might of given it a richer color lol

Stay safe
OVZ

BlueSasquatch
Novice

Post by BlueSasquatch » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:07 am

To continue my post above, made a 20 gallon mash, had to split it into 4 buckets and 1 carboy. SG to start was 1.061 the fermentation went well, slowed down considerably the 2nd week. Bought a brew-bag to help strain the grain, ended up doing 5 runs through a 6 gallon pot still. Ending SG was 0.996 which is a first for me.
Leg gave out on my cheap boiler, entire still fell over, lost pretty much an entire batch. Bent the leg back into shape and proceeded with caution the rest of the day. Discarded Foreshots but made no cuts the rest of the day apart from tails.
In the end managed to collect 4 gallons from the 4 successful runs, each at 50% ABV and then 1/5th of Tails at 20% (Might have about 3-4 gallons of tails from various stripping runs, will try an all-feints run before the end of the year) Took me about 1 hour from start heating to start of tails for each run.

So the next step is a Spirit run, I've only done about 8 stripping runs, not yet a Spirit run. if I have 4-gallons at 50% I need to add water until it gets to about 30-40% reading up on the forums about making better cuts, unsure what to expect for the yield, I would like to age most of this on oak and wanted to get an idea of what barrel size to buy.

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:53 am

I made a few batches of this to get 4.5 gallons of 130proof that went into a new 5 gallon bbl. 13 months later it came out at 140 proof and a rich dark color with lots of sweetness, vanilla and caramel flavors. I have a lot of good commercial bourbon and I can say this holds up to some very highly regarded bottles and far surpasses most of them. If you are wanting to make bourbon this is the one. Make 5 gallons and buy a barrel it’s worth the time and effort. Thanks Shine on !!!
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736

ShineonCrazyDiamond
Site Mod

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 am

Thank you stogie. Makes me happy to see it hold up to expectations, even still.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."

Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 pm

tasting it every month was the real interesting part and how very different it was every month. i will say month 8 was very hard not to drain the barrel it was sweet and super smooth. it has more bite now and a little more oak but not too much. i compared it to some commercial bottles and i am very pleased. doing a blind taste test with some whiskey snobs tonight, will report back
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:09 pm

So sipping on some three year old hbb , Happy t day to all the usa folks here and a happy day to every one else
hbb.JPG
Stay safe
OVZ