Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Shine0n wrote:
Now here's the twist, I'm going to infect the backset with soil and potatoes trying to get some additional esters not really equated to bourbon but what the hell.

I'll then add 10-15% infected to low wines and see what happens, I'm not sure what the hell I'm thinking but I'll never know if I don't try.

If I'm not pleased with the blending I will not ruin my barrel but rerun as low wines with another proper ferment.

Shine0n
Why F with a tried and true? This recipe finally got here - please post your experiments in recipe development.

OVZ
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Tried and true means sacrosanct?
I don't think his experiment will move far away from the original. At least not more than the experiments in other t&t threads. Like what Rad did with adding fertilizers to birdwatchers for example.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Oldvine, I appreciate your attempt to keep things on topic. But the idea around HBB is meant to get people thinking of different ways to do things, rather than just "cook corn and stir for 2 hours, add barley and rye, age at 62.5".

I believe he is still using the backset from this recipe. I'm not one of those particular uptight fellows that have to have people do just like I do. I encourage free thought and experimentation. Don't want to stifle that.

Shineon and you were both huge proponents of this recipe early on, and I thank you both for your contributions :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

It's like sour mashing but with infected backset not the whole ferment.
I've seen many t&t that get modified and I'm not going off the deep end trying to reinvent this wonderful recipe just thought it would be interesting is all.

No need to apologize, I accept :lol:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Theres much more infection in commercial distilleries than hobby ones anyway, so I think it would add a nice touch. Well, the choice of potato probably wouldnt mimic a commercial infection, but still sounds interesting. Raw grain would probably mimic commercial infection rates, but would be less original. I wanna hear hiw it turns out.
ausibatla
Bootlegger

Post by ausibatla »

Will it be OK to pour the mash, grain and all, into the pot and distill it like that?
I intend making up a container out of stainless steel fly wire and contain it all in that.
when finished I can just pull out the basket with the spent grain in it, tip it out, then
pour the next batch in. The grain will be suspended in the wash during the whole distillation
process. I am thinking I'll get a better result and more flavour if this works. Any thoughts?

My last batch of Honey Bear was followed to the letter and worked really well. Got 10 liters
at 30% but am not tasting any honey flavour at all. At the moment I'm trying to locate a used 100 liter
oak barrel to put it in but am having trouble finding one in Australia.
Cheers. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Youths a mask but it don't last
Live it long and live it fast
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Are you distilling on a flame, internal element?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

yakattack wrote:Are you distilling on a flame, internal element?
Exactly. Ausibatla, you don't want to get a pot full of scorched grain!

Flavor: Honey will not be a dominant flavor, but rather a part of the rich, complex full-grain body of the drink.
Hopefully you are experiencing that? I think nothing else comes close to the nose, feel, and flavor of this grain combo.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

Semi off topic, but has anybody tried Rabbit Hole Bourbon. They have a very small distribution region in the midwest. Their grain bill is 70% corn, 10% honey malt, 10% wheat, 10% barley. Not sure if the wheat and barley are malted, but I would assume so.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

:esurprised: :evil:

Well, figured it was only a matter of time, really. Looks like they broke ground October '16, and opened sometime this year.

It's the risk we run. Not like I could trade mark an illegal recipe, lol. But, I don't not want to share the things I create, either. Ehh. C'est la vie. They could have at least send me a bottle, lol.

I have a new recipe that I'm going to put up soon that taste like toasted marshmallow :ebiggrin: . Stuff that in a bottle, Rabbit Hole :twisted: .

At least he did proper research :thumbup:

Edit to add* that there are other spirits using honey malt. I didn't, of course invent honey malt, but at least in my little world I was the one to throw it in a still. I hadn't heard anything of it before then, just saw it in a home brew store, asked what is was, went home and threw 1 beer recipe together and 1 bourbon recipe together that used it. I have shared both on HD. Rabbit Hole is just a little too much on the head, it seems.

In March I heard about these guys using it with rye, was the first time I had seen it commercially in liquor.

http://www.solspirits.com/american-spir ... ingle-malt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Last edited by ShineonCrazyDiamond on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

I didn't realize that they were actually open. They had been using a contract distiller, but had planned to open their own distillery. It would be interesting to get a report on it from someone here. I just put up my 1st batch of HBB and plan on running 2 batches total. I then planned on trying some thing similar to Rabbit Hole. 75# corn, 10# red wheat malt, 10# honey malt and 10# barley malt. I'll start with 2 row brewers malt then try pale ale malt. I could call it RHB (RedwoodHillbilly Bourbon :) ).

This is the 1st time playing with Honey malt. I grind all of my grains to flour and when tasting honey malt flour, it tasted much like malted milk powder.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Well, maybe they are not open yet. I just saw an article about them breaking ground, and product out. I made the assumption.
ausibatla
Bootlegger

Post by ausibatla »

yakattack wrote:Are you distilling on a flame, internal element?
I have a 30 liter boiler with an external element but the bottom does get hot, as one would expect, but
I intend keeping it about 3/4" off the bottom with the same SS fly wire.
Cheers. :thumbup:
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Oldvine, I appreciate your attempt to keep things on topic. But the idea around HBB is meant to get people thinking of different ways to do things, rather than just "cook corn and stir for 2 hours, add barley and rye, age at 62.5".

I believe he is still using the backset from this recipe. I'm not one of those particular uptight fellows that have to have people do just like I do. I encourage free thought and experimentation. Don't want to stifle that.

Shineon and you were both huge proponents of this recipe early on, and I thank you both for your contributions :thumbup:
Sorry SCD but I thought that when a recipe made it to tried and true ( many of us pushed to get your HBB here) it would be a set recipe ie tried and true! Recipe development would be the place to experiment with this great grain bill and be a free for all to experiment.

Thanks again SCD for this great recipe.

OVZ
ausibatla
Bootlegger

Post by ausibatla »

Here are a couple of photos to show you what I'm doing. I have just made up another 2 x 26 liter fermenters
of HB Bourbon. As you can see from the photos I have my boiler on a drum with the tap over the fermenter.
When it's boiling I just turn on the tap and start stirring. When its full I just switch to the next fermenter.
Also a shot of the paddle I made up for stirring the mash. It's made of pine and stands 1 meter tall X 80mm wide
x 20mm thick. It makes life so much easier. I finished adding the ingredients late yesterday afternoon when the
temperature was down to 67 deg. celsius. I had planned on pitching the yeast this morning but because the
fermenters are wrapped in blankets the temp. only dropped to 49 deg. overnight. I unwrapped them and
checked it again this afternoon but still around 40 deg. Hopefully they will be down to around 20 - 30 deg
in the morning and I can chuck the yeast in then.
Also added a photo of the grains I'm using, apart from the Corn and Honey Malt, these are what are supposed
to pass for Red wheat, White wheat and Pale wheat. What are your thoughts?
Been trying to get my hands on a 20 - 25 gallon Oak barrel but no luck so far. Everybody has 60 gal. or 80 gal.
and $500 - $600 for them. Nobody seems to have the smaller sizes.
Cheers. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Attachments
Brew 1.jpg
Brew 2.jpg
Brew 3.jpg
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I just want to express my sympathies at your barrel situation, that seems outrageous! At $600 it should already be full of bourbon!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

SCD, you know I've been a big supporter of HBB since I seen it and tried it and also threw out T&T From the first time it was mentioned.
I most certainly don't want to offend you or others as I have a great deal of respect for you and this recipe, as I stated though, I have no plans on altering the grain bill but I thought of the infection because I've had some good success with them and just seemed fitting to try on the backset. Hell, it may turn out like shit as a sour mash or it might be awesome.

I was thinking like sweet and sour goes well together so a controlled infection could isolate and condense those flavors. I've gotten a lacto in a couple and with my new barrel it would be under an air lock and more than likely no infection unless I opened it the last 2 days of fermentation but I'm trying to keep my new barrels from getting such a thing because of other recipes in the same barrel.

I have been sipping on the last bit of HBB that my son so graciously left me (still pissed) And I've just gotten home and plan to make a batch this am. only a 15 gal but what are you thoughts of a once used barrel for aging? New barrel would be better I know and will aquire one someday but I found some Balcones whiskey barrels for pretty cheap and now have 3 (mostly for rum)

Again, I ment absolutely no offense!

Shine0n
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Hey man, no offense taken at all. I think it's cool that people are inspired to try different things. I started a whiskey pit long ago, but there's the ph thing to consider, and I don't like having to think about ph. So, I just use other ways of getting complexity into the ferments :thumbup:

I have had one whiskey that was aged in my buddies 1 used barrel. IMO, it was just as awesome. Had plenty of goodness to still give up. Now, he did start the whiskey on sticks of, maple I believe, as he was building up stock. Then all went into the barrel and it came out excellent. The third use was a little slow during the spring, but when the deep of the summer hit, it caught up.

The way I see it, a barrel is always useful, as a storage device or simply to blend and air your whiskey. Even the third time through, there is just magic that happens in a barrel. If it gets on down the road, put it on fresh oak sticks while you build up stock ( in jars or kegs, or whatever). Then when you have all 5 gallons or whatever, put it all in the used up barrel. It will blend and finish it up for you.

The plans for my barrel ( just emptied HBB) is bourbon, bourbon, stout, rum, whiskey (either scotch or a Canadian). By then I could just use it for mass storage for 6 months at a time, or long term oaking for things like scotch or light rum. An all oat whiskey might find a rotation in there soon :thumbup:
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Not to get too far off topic, but I'm plotting out some barrel plans and am a bit torn. I'd like to go HB bourbon, scotch, rum. But the scotch will have a fair bit of peat, and I'm worried that might taint the rum. But doing rum first would put rum in my scotch, which seems even more blasphemous!
Looks like you aren't too worried about following your rum with a scotch, that's encouraging.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Aside from Honey Bear, I wanted to see what oats really do, so I cooked up 60% corn & 40% oats.

The mouth feel and flavor of the oats really stood out and made it clear why oats are important in Honey Bear.

I've said it before, and will say it again: Folks, make your Honey Bear with the recipe's optional 1 pound oats addition like I've been doing.
The difference oats make is outstanding.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I should use the pigs oats after eating my fn grains. lol
I have plenty :thumbup:
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I finished a Honey Bear Bourbon project that has been on my list all summer. :-) I've been wanting a set of collection jars from a great spirit run (all things relative) that I will save and use for future discussions/education on cuts. I've had several "cuts parties" with friends in the past and would like something like this jar set that I can use at any time. I decided to do this with my HBB since I've been doing so much of it.
Collection jar set in the boxs, aired collection in the back.
Collection jar set in the boxs, aired collection in the back.
The recipe is HBB w/oats, using aged backset and feints from my previous batch. I used some reflux to pull the foreshots then did the rest really slow in the pot still. 25 jars, 300 ml each. I pulled 40 ml from each collection jar for my cuts sample jars, leaving 260 ml in each jar and after cuts tonight, leaves me just enough to fill my 5l barrel tomorrow. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I am so happy to have filled my first barrel of Honey Bear Bourbon. I've enjoyed making this recipe all summer long and with this fella full now, I will move on to find a new bourbon recipe to work on next. Thanks SCD for the wonderful recipe.
5l of Honey Bear Bourbon and some hearts
5l of Honey Bear Bourbon and some hearts
I had just enough yield overall to steel my two favorite hearts jars from the cut to proof down and drink white. Jars 7 and 8 are very tasty, yet distinctly different. Today especially, I love stillin. :-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

lookin good Otis, congrats on a good run and I'm quite sure you will thoroughly enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I'm holding on to what's left of mine, sort of anyway.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Hoping you guys are have a great time at the S3 meeting this weekend. Wish I could have come. BTW, I have 2 @ used 10 gal barrels I need to get rid of.

Hope to see an update on the meeting soon.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Going today to an end-of-summer BBQ with work buddies.
Oh, what to take ... what to take.
Rum? Vodka? Odin's Cornflake? Rye? Corn/Oats?
Honey Bear!

Only 5 months in a new charred oak cask.
Proofed 750ml to 40%, and this is better than last month's 1/2-finger test sample.

Let's see if it's reception at the BBQ is as outstanding as my bragging about it!

(I have a feeling I'll be getting lit on it. Wife is designated driver.)
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Honey Bear, have a great time. Wish I could taste your stuff. PM me if you'd like to trade bottles.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

BoomTown wrote:Honey Bear, have a great time. Wish I could taste your stuff. PM me if you'd like to trade bottles.
Boom
I will take you up on that offer.
PM sent.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Still Life wrote:Going today to an end-of-summer BBQ with work buddies...
..Let's see if Honey Bear reception is as outstanding as my bragging about it!
Mostly curiosity seekers and 1 serious bourbon fan later:
With a shot, eyes lit up and I heard "Oh, that's good."
(free liquor from a friend. would you expect differently?)

The bourbon fan said after a few tastes:
"I was expecting a leather strap whipped across my shuddering back when I heard this bourbon was homemade.
But this is easy on the senses. What is that back flavor at the end?" (Oats, of course)

He came back twice for triple shots, bearing Blue Moon beers with orange slices as a barter.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

BoomTown wrote:Honey Bear, have a great time. Wish I could taste your stuff. PM me if you'd like to trade bottles.

Boom
Hey boom! We sure missed you this weekend! I don't feel like we see you enough around here these days. Of course I have a bottle for ya. Honey Bear on its way! :thumbup: