Honey Bear Bourbon

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Stillin-Hearts
Novice

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Post by Stillin-Hearts »

The malts are in the mail. Ordered from homebrewOhio. Got a 6.5 gal glass carboy also- for science. To the shed!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

SH use that carboy to store lowines but put it on a table so you can siphon off of it
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Stillin-Hearts
Novice

Post by Stillin-Hearts »

Durhommer wrote:SH use that carboy to store lowines but put it on a table so you can siphon off of it
Will do. Running out of jars. Lol.
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I am a little confused about pH control in this recipe. My understanding from reading I have done is that with corn mashes, the pH tends to be higher than all grain mashes so typically you would add backset or lactic acid or sour mash to drop it a bit. Oyster shells will buffer pH if it gets too low. How does this recipe work so well without adding something to drop the pH?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Backset is not required in all grain. Also, I'm not using enzymes. Backset was more for flavor before enzymes came along.

Why does it work so well? Becuase the truth is you don't need to sweat ph so much. You can chase perfection if so inclined by stressing over ph, but I made lots of great liquor without a meter.

Cook corn, add malts, chill and pitch yeast. Don't overcomplicate it :thumbup:

Or just call it magic. That's it. Honey bear magic :)
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Stillin-Hearts
Novice

Post by Stillin-Hearts »

I like Honey Bear Magic. [emoji23]
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

Thanks for the info. I am going to take the plunge in the next week or so depending on schedule.

One thing I can't finf in the recipe is the amount of water. I have a 20gal brute so am trying to scale up and need to know how much water to boil.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

You can estimate about 2# total grains per gallon (I think it's 1.9lbs). You'll probably want about 2/3 to 3/4 capacity for headspace in the fermenter.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

I wrote the recipe for a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon bucket. I would multiply by 3, as that fits in your fermenter and gives you either three strips fir a 5 gallon boiler, or 1 for a 15 gallon boiler. Add grains and fill to about the 18 gallon mark. This will leave head space and account for loss of liquid to grains and trub. :thumbup:
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

One more question (for now)- I have seen a couple of approaches to adding oats, either reduce the corn by an equal amout, or add it in addition to the recipe ingredients. Is there a verdict on which is better?
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Sk8brew wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:00 am One more question (for now)- I have seen a couple of approaches to adding oats, either reduce the corn by an equal amount, or add it in addition to the recipe ingredients. Is there a verdict on which is better?
As long as you are in the ballpark of your grain/water ratio and have sufficient DP, you can go either way.

FWIW, I mash/ferment in the same keg and add 26lbs of corn/wheat/barley to 12.5gal of water/backset/starter. The ferment surface starts maybe 2" from the top, forms a cap that stays an inch below the lid and falls nicely. The C02 produced fills this small space fully. No need to waste your fermenter capacity with open head space.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Sk8Brew, you’re going to love this recipe. I’ve been adding the oats per the recipe. Think I have three batches combined from the corona isolation days that are aging on toasted and charred Oak. They are only three months old and it’s all I can do to keep from drinking them.
Hope you enjoy it!
ats333
Novice

Post by ats333 »

Still Life wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:46 am Picked up some Simpson's peated malt to add to this next batch today.
It has the most pleasant earthy, grassy smell.
Will cook ½ pound with the corn, oats, and honey malt.
Then mash in another ½ pound with the red, pale, & white.

Peat has been on my mind lately. Have never used it before, so why not try it with one of the best recipes out there.
Give me a couple weeks and I'll report on this.
It has been a while, but I finally made it through the ENTIRE HBB thread!! what a read! I have learned so much! I was just curious how this experiment went.
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

Well, so far so good. I have 15 gals fermenting on the grain. OG was at 1.07, although I could not get a clear sample, so I am not 100% confident with the measurement. I picked up a mop bucket at HD and should be ready to strip this weekend. I would like to make another batch on the heels of this one. What is the best way to reuse the yeast? Do I just set aside some of the squeezed grains and pitch them in when the mash gets down to temp?
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Do a sugar head off your spent grain.heat you about 50 pound sugar in 25 gallon water till dissolved get to pitch temp and throw the old stuff on it
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

This looks like a great recipe. Is there any issues putting boiling water into the brute trashcan? Little nervous would get super thin. If running a 15.5g boiler a 32g brute should get around 3 charges after using mop bucket right?
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

I would say more like two stripping charges. By the time you leave headroom in the fermenter, leave some liquid in the grains that you won’t be able to squeeze out, and then leave headroom in your boiler to minimize puking, it looks more to me like 2, maybe 2 1/2 runs. If you end up with a partial charge, just put it in an airtight bucket with an airlock and it will keep while you do another ferment.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

GCB3 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 pm I would say more like two stripping charges. By the time you leave headroom in the fermenter, leave some liquid in the grains that you won’t be able to squeeze out, and then leave headroom in your boiler to minimize puking, it looks more to me like 2, maybe 2 1/2 runs. If you end up with a partial charge, just put it in an airtight bucket with an airlock and it will keep while you do another ferment.
Thanks so as far as pouring the boiling water over the grain in the brute you think an issue?
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

No prob with pouring boiling water into the 32g brute. Just be careful with any drill-mixers and mash paddles and don’t nick it. I’ve done that and developed a pinhole leak that will eventually open up with the heat. I use reflectix, packing blankets, and bungee cords to wrap the brute and a packing blanket folded over on top (with the lid) and it keeps temp to gelatanize and mash for 12-24h. Maybe longer. Makes mashing very easy.

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

ddizzle22 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:28 am ....as far as pouring the boiling water over the grain in the brute you think an issue?
I can’t say for sure because I’ve never seen any data to suggest it’s OK or it’s not OK. So, it really boils down to a matter of personal choice or comfort. There are many many folks here who use the Brutes and are perfectly comfortable and happy with it. I am a little concerned about putting boiling water into plastics containing dyes and use large stainless steel pots for mashing and fermenting on the grain. As Jonny says, if well insulated, either will do the job without needing to boil the corn.
Either way it’s a great recipe.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

My last mash was a "passive mash" . It was done in a plastic olive drum and was very successful and although it might not be ideal for every grain it was fine for my bill. That was a mixed grain bill of malt barley, barley grain, corn and oat berries. So I grist all the grain to meal and poured in boiling water stirring it at each pot added. Then as I got closer to the full volume I added cooler water to get my temp somewheres close to 64'c (147'f) and proceeded to add grist malt while stirring. I found this converted those grains as well as any stepped saccharification mash I done but of course I missed out on the effects of the lower temp enzymes. Perhaps that didn't break down the gluten and protein but it wasn't a noticeable difference. I did add some glucoamylase at the end of the mash which seemed to make a bigger difference than anticipated as I normally add this at pitching temps to dry out my ferment.
Not entirely relevant to this but as I couldn't find my sack of wheat I converted a couple of kilos of wholemeal flour in a pot using the same method where adding the glucoamylase was even more so noticeable.
As for adding hot water to plastics I can say for the drums I have there is not noticeable effect to the beer or spirit.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I have been mashing for years in brute cans for beer brewing which entails temps up to 170F. For this recipe, I have a 20gal brute, put all the corn, oats and honey malt in and add boiling water on top while mixing. This reduces the temp that the brute sees some. I think it settles out at 190F or so. As for volume, I used 13.5 gal of water for 26.5 total pounds of corn meal and grains. After fermenting and squeezing and racking I will have about 11 gals wash.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

So having a taste of this after 8 months in wood isn't terrible I'm still liking single malts too but this isn't bad glad there's 5 gallons of it to get old
Sk8brew
Novice

Post by Sk8brew »

I have done four stripping runs and should be doing a spirit run this weekend. Any advise on cuts with this recipe? Flavors to look for, any gems in the late tails...?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Late heads hold the honey.
GCB3
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GCB3 »

Well SCD, I finally bottled my first batch of ‘Wuhan virus quarantine” HBB. It is wonderful. :thumbup: it aged for] 6 months on sticks made from a once used rum barrel (yeah, I know, it’s not technically bourbon.) These are the 2 L it yielded. The good news is I have 15 gallons of low wines waiting for a spirit run to fill a new Gibbs 5 gallon barrel. I am so glad I discovered your recipe and appreciate the hard work you put into it. =
Take care
23CAA39E-3E74-46F3-8822-EF9439DC538B.jpeg
23CAA39E-3E74-46F3-8822-EF9439DC538B.jpeg (20.55 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

honetbear 3.JPG
Just bottled this for a good friends birthday

Stay safe everyone
OVZ
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

GCB3 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 am Well SCD, I finally bottled my first batch of ‘Wuhan virus quarantine” HBB. It is wonderful. :thumbup: it aged for] 6 months on sticks made from a once used rum barrel (yeah, I know, it’s not technically bourbon.) These are the 2 L it yielded. The good news is I have 15 gallons of low wines waiting for a spirit run to fill a new Gibbs 5 gallon barrel. I am so glad I discovered your recipe and appreciate the hard work you put into it. =
Take care

23CAA39E-3E74-46F3-8822-EF9439DC538B.jpeg
Great looking bottles :thumbup: . Glad to hear you enjoy it so. Labor of love, a good bottle is. Looks like you had the patience for something wonderful. Enjoy sir! :clap:
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Great color
Dutch41
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dutch41 »

I'm the new guy jumpin on board this train to Honey Bear Bourbonville. I read the HBB Thread a couple times now and have made the decision to attempt my first AG with ShineonCrazyDiamond's awesome looking recipe. I will be ordering the ingredients in the next couple days. I have one wash to run prior to take off...