Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by EuroStiller »

Good, because at this point I need to make neutral spirits as a base for my liqueurs. I'm tired of forking out $32.00 for 1,75 L of 96% Rectified Spirits at my local MEGA MEGA liquor store. And dont get me wrong, I love my copper pot still! I wish I could even get a larger one :twisted: But I got the reflux still for nothing, so hey, mey as well make the best of it right?? When you posted your wash formula I was very happy because of it's simplicity and its source. I can't wait to see just how well wour wash finishes. One small note. I used a combination of yeasts. I made the full batch but I put in 1/4 cup of bakers yeast ant 1/4 cup of EC-1118. I buy my EC-1118 by the 500g bag, got tired of those little envelopes. So this should be very interesting. And yes, It did get quite foamy, quite fast! It did not over run the bucket though :lol:

Later

EuroStiller- The Doctor
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Just a note on this sugar wash.I started a new one tuesday night,but used more yeast.
I used 1 cup of bakers yeast in 6 gallons of 1070SG wash with the same amounts of everything else.It fermented to 1000Sg in 4 days and is past 990 today.Im going to rack it tuesday,and let it clear for a week.Im going to start another one with the same yeast.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

Is that much yeast actually needed for this recipe?

I have little experience with sugarhead. I've only ran it helpin' out friends learn new stills.

So, is that much yeast necessary? How does a half-cup, or a cup of bakers yeast compair to say, 3 tablespoons of bakers yeast in a 6 gallon wash?
McGyver
Novice

Post by McGyver »

I was always told that the amount of yeast really don't much matter, just the type used. I've used a 1 oz. packet on a 20gal. batch of mash and it worked out the same as using a 1/2cup! Yeast will multiply by itself if it's environment requires it, so actual fermenting time is the same or real close. IE: more yeast doesn't equal faster ferment time!
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

A cup of yeast isnt nessasary,but does speed up the fermentation time.Kinda like a homeade turbo without the bad flavors.The 3 tablespoons method will work with extra neutrents added as long as the gravity isnt too high,but the extra neutrents also add flavors.
By using a 1/4 cup of distillers,or a 1/2 cup of bakers yeast,You can keep the added neutrents to a minimum which will make a cleaner wash.Some of the yeast always dies in the wash,and add the needed neutrents for the cells that survive.
The 1 cup per 6 gallons Just works faster.I will let you all know if there is any flavor difference.Ive been buying bakers yeast for $2.19 a pound so its only about .60 cents worth of yeast,and I plan on using over and over also.
Im always monkeying around with things.Ive learned alot that way.
theholymackerel
retired

Post by theholymackerel »

So, in brewer's terms, it's like gettin' a HUGE starter goin', or pitchin' back on the yeast cake?

Humm...

I see the point, but I'm cheap and I believe I'd just let the first ferment take a bit longer and use less yeast the first iteration, and pitch back on the yeast cake for succesive batches.

I do see the point though. Alot of folks don't have an open schedule like me... they gotta plan their stillin' time ahead of time.

I don't like sugarhead, but I'm gonna give yer recipe a try wineo. I'm curious.
Ftero
Bootlegger

Post by Ftero »

I've got 2 of these washes going right now. One, I started at 1.062 and the other at 1.074
Both have identical ingredients, but the one with the higher sg has been a slower fermenter. The next time I do this wash, I am going to put in the 1 cup of baker's yeast you suggest Wineo. I have a feeling, that even if all of that yeast does not get going, what dies will be great nutrition for the the living yeast, and speed up the fermentation.

Wineo, you either have some magical water, or your basement is nice and warm! My washes have been going for 10 days now, and they are still @ 1.030. This weekend, it finally got warm here in the PNW, and the washes sped up quite a bit. It's amazing to me what a few degrees will make.

I've got a dozen Mason jars lined up, ready to turn this stuff into various LPR's (Liquid Panty Remover)
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I have to agree This wash is about as neutral as it gets. run it through a reflux and it tastes almost like water ... very nice recipe Wineo and thanks for sharing . :D
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Is it dried bakers yeast you are using or is it the fresh stuff :?: :?:
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Thanks for the complement.I worked for quite a while to come up with a clean,bulletproof recipe that I could share with everyone.If anyone else has run this,let me know how it turned out.I should be running mine next week.I still have 13 gallons of lite rum to run tomorow night.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Its the dried stuff.SAF instant is what Im using now.I also have some red star,but havent used it on this recipe yet.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

wineo wrote:Its the dried stuff.SAF instant is what Im using now.I also have some red star,but havent used it on this recipe yet.
Thanks,can get that easy through my old business :wink:
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Ok I just bought Epsom salts,bakers yeast,dap.Is gypson the stuff they sell to break down clay????I could not buy this from the brew shop.
Also what can I use as citric acid???I had trouble finding this also.Will lemon juice work????
Rudi
Rumrunner

Post by Rudi »

Woolworths or coles or the like sell citric acid in the baking section.
Such is life
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

jdonly1 wrote:Ok I just bought Epsom salts,bakers yeast,dap.
Is gypson the stuff they sell to break down clay????I could not buy this from the brew shop.
Also what can I use as citric acid???I had trouble finding this also.Will lemon juice work????
Is gypson the stuff they sell to break down clay????I could not buy this from the brew shop
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

jdonly1 wrote:Is gypson the stuff they sell to break down clay????
Yup. Gypsum is calcium sulphate, it is used as both a fertiliser and soil conditioner. It is also what plasterboard (called Gyprock in Oz) is made from.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

HookLine wrote:
jdonly1 wrote:Is gypson the stuff they sell to break down clay????
Yup. Gypsum is calcium sulphate, it is used as both a fertiliser and soil conditioner. It is also what plasterboard (called Gyprock in Oz) is made from.
Rippa,got a 10kg bag for $8.50 :lol:
Now all I have to do is get the citric acid and Im read to roll :wink:
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

You can find citric acid anywhere that sells canning jars and supplys.Lemon juice will work,but it will flavor the wash some,and it wont be as clean.Use the citric.
Gypsum is sold at most brewshops over here,but the other stuff will work.Just make sure to read the lable to make sure its just gypsum with nothing added.
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Just got one of these going,man it takes off like a turbo wash :shock: :shock:
potbelly
Novice

Post by potbelly »

I just got one of these on too but with 4 kg of sugar and no gypsum, everything else the same. Couldn't find the gypsum anywhere but didn't seem to matter; it's going off like a rocket. Starting SG of 1.070. I pitched the yeast less than 2 hrs ago and getting a nice big bloop on the airlock about every 4 seconds and temp has gone up from about 24 to 26 deg C. I'm impressed! Can't wait for this to work out so I can try it.

This is just my second wash, did a turbo the first time (noob, didn't know the difference) and got some reasonably drinkable "white rum" from my pot still although I was looking for a more neutral liquor. Hopefully this foots the bill and I can try a real rum wash the next time.

Thanks Wineo! :)
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

What is the best way to clear this???
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

I would say as any wash 1) what till it is don 2) stir to remove carbonation 3) place in cool place and Waite
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The bakers yeast doesnt clear as fast as the distiller yeast,but they will usually clear by themselfs in a week or so.
Like Dunderhead said,degassing it once its done will speed things up alot.It also helps to rack it off the yeast sediment.
I let mine clear for 4-5 days,and rack it into a clean container,and leave it for a few more days.It will clear fast after racking.
I have one clearing now that I started on the 15th.Its been done for a few days.I will rack it tonight,and let it set till tuesday when I will run 1/2 of it.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

wineo wrote:Like Dunderhead said,degassing it once its done will speed things up alot.It also helps to rack it off the yeast sediment.
I let mine clear for 4-5 days,and rack it into a clean container,and leave it for a few more days.It will clear fast after racking.
That has been my experience.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
ModernDayShiner
Novice

Post by ModernDayShiner »

Hey Wineo!

Tried it out, found it had a allitle bit of a yeasty taste, but it was over all pretty even!

I would stronly suggest the distillers yeast, yet i know its hard to come by. Bakers yeast in such a quantity will most def, be the demise of this recipe as it ages if not fltered for ditilled slowly it will come out in a much stronger presence. Maybe air it out a few more days than usual?!

Has anyone tried it but substitute with EC-1118?
You must learn to crawl before you can walk and from there your a far way from running.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The distillers yeast did great on it.I have a batch made with SAF instant bread yeast loaded in the boiler now.I will run it tonight and let you know how it compared.The only drawback with the bakers yeast is that it doesnt clear as easy as the distillers yeast.I let mine set for a week to settle,and racked 1/2 of it in the boiler,and the other half in buckets to settle until next week.The clearer you can get it,the better.I started my fermenter back up with the same recipe,and the same yeast.I will let it set longer,since I still have lots of stuff in the works to run.I always run everything pretty slow,so we will see if mine is yeasty or not.Its destined to get ran again anyway.Im saving it up for a big 2nd run before it gets too hot to run.
ModernDayShiner
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Let me know!

I Also let it all my washs clear till im satisfied, if you dont start wih a good product you dont end with one either!

Very easy taste though, id like to make a true voldka with potatoes some day but have had problems in the past with the starch conversion.
You must learn to crawl before you can walk and from there your a far way from running.
ModernDayShiner
Novice

Mine stopped bubbling last night dont know if i wanna run it this weekend, i think ill clear it for a week and run it next weekend!!!
sconly
Novice

Post by sconly »

just put one of these on piece off piss quick and easy thanks wineo :mrgreen:
50 litre keg pot still
25 litre ultra reflux still
ModernDayShiner
Novice

Wineo... do you add the gypsum because your water is low in sulfur!!!. Id like to add for people that use tap water high in sulfur myabe gypsum wouldnt be a good idea! Ive read its also a laxative!!!! lol. If you have low sulfur in your water the gypsum would be a good it will bring out the tastes alot more, id say try it either way!