Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

wineo
Distiller

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by wineo »

I threw it in during the development stage of the recipe,and it worked better with it than without it.Everyones water is different,and the recipe will work without it.
I have ran quite a few of these washes now with different yeasts,and IMO,the superstart distillers yeast is the most neutral,and clears out faster than the bakers yeast.I used the SAF instant bakers yeast,and I have one going now with red star,but I dont expect it to be different than the SAF.I have been potstilling all of these,so if your using a reflux,you probably wont see much difference in flavors.It does make a big difference clearing the wash of most of the yeast,as it comes out alot cleaner because of less ester production.Im saving all this neutral up for a 12 gallon spirit run in the potstill,and will be done with neutrals for a while.Its off to rum development.If I come up with a unique rum recipe{I will},I will share it with the forum.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

I have had mine clearing for about a month, I might even try and get it in the refrigerator. Can't wait to run it and see how it turns out.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

stir it--- it will clear quicker
Ftero
Bootlegger

Post by Ftero »

Ad my name to the list of happy consumers of Wineo's Plain Ol Sugar Wash recipe. Nice and clean!

I just got done making a batch of Strawberry Panty-Dropper, using WIneo's Plain Ol Sugar Wash recipe. A local supermarket had a special on strawberries; 4 pounds for $3! I bought 3 of the boxes. My wife was eating them almost as quickly as I was slicing em and putting em in the steeping jars :lol: She is sipping on a glass right now.

My thanks and compliments to WIneo and Pothead for your recipes.

I've got another wash clearing in the fridge right now. My better half wants me to make a panty-dropper using our local Marionberries. Who am I to argue? :wink:
ModernDayShiner
Novice

Post by ModernDayShiner »

MisterSteve124 wrote:I have had mine clearing for about a month, I might even try and get it in the refrigerator. Can't wait to run it and see how it turns out.

Clearing for a month???? I believe thats alittle over kill, try racking it 2 twice over a span of 10-14 days...should be supper clear, Also when i rack all my recipes in to the keg i have it filtered through activated carbon 4 inches thick by 5 inches deep. this way its clean clean and there are no solids or small particles boiled to give off flavours.
You must learn to crawl before you can walk and from there your a far way from running.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Clearing it for a month isnt going to hurt anything,but it is slow.Racking it a few times over a week or so should speed it up alot.It doesnt have to be super clear to run it,but clearer=cleaner with any of the neutrals,or vodka runs.I have let some of my washes set for months,after being racked a few times simply because I couldnt get around to running them.When it gets too hot around here to do a run,I will probably have alot of wash clearing for a month.At least it will be good and clear when I get around to it.
MisterSteve124
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MisterSteve124 »

exactly my scenario, haven't had time to run it so it'll be clearing until I get a free day.
Asohosy
Novice

Post by Asohosy »

Did a 110 L wash, 4 28 L stripping runs, added 2Tbs salt for 1 spirit run. Collected 7.5 L at 93 abv, clean, no taste spirit. Cost: less than US $20.00.

My only problem is that it took 2 weeks to ferment. The only thing I didn't do as stated in the recipe was to convert the white sugar. I merely added the sugar in the fermenter and diluted with well water.

Could that be why it took longer to ferment?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

What was your starting SG? How much yeast did you use,and what size wash?What else did you use in the wash,and how much?
I ask alot of questions.
Asohosy
Novice

Post by Asohosy »

wineo wrote:What was your starting SG? How much yeast did you use,and what size wash?What else did you use in the wash,and how much?
I ask alot of questions.
110 liter wash. Starting SG 1.07 and got stuck at 1.005 when I ran it. My notes, memory are not that great for the amount of yeast used but I beleived that I started with 2 redstar packets and added about 2 tablespoons of baker's yeast 2 days later to try to speed it up.

the only thing that I used for the first time in a wash was the gypsum. I use well water, maybe my water was too hard.
Hawke
retired

Post by Hawke »

Asohosy wrote: the only thing that I used for the first time in a wash was the gypsum. I use well water, maybe my water was too hard.
Hard water and gypsum probably made the wash too neutral of ph.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Everyones water is different.I use the gypsum for hardness.It sounds like you dont need it.I would loose the gypsum on the next one,make sure to stay between 1060-1070SG,and use more yeast.If you have a GFS store around,you can buy red star in 2 pound bags for $4.26 a bag.Thats 8 cups.
Asohosy
Novice

Post by Asohosy »

Yes, I think I am done with gypsum. No more of that.

Definitely more yeast next time.

To be frank, 2 weeks is the best time I've had on a pure sugar wash but I guess I am now spoiled by 3 - 5 day ferment on molasses, raw sugar/panela, ujsm and the likes.
darel
Novice

Post by darel »

wineo wrote:Clearing it for a month isnt going to hurt anything,but it is slow.Racking it a few times over a week or so should speed it up alot.It doesnt have to be super clear to run it,but clearer=cleaner with any of the neutrals,or vodka runs.I have let some of my washes set for months,after being racked a few times simply because I couldnt get around to running them.When it gets too hot around here to do a run,I will probably have alot of wash clearing for a month.At least it will be good and clear when I get around to it.

If you are to leave it sitting for a long time, what type of container should you do it in? Does it matter?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

You should use a container with a airlock so it wont get infected.I use glass carboys if its going to be in there for a long time.
potbelly
Novice

Post by potbelly »

Today I did a spirit run on this recipe that I stripped a few weeks ago. Started with about 7L of 37% low wines. Took off 200ml fores, plus 11 parts of 250ml each which started at about 80% and stopped it at about 27%. I tossed the last part into tails and the one previous has some tails but drinkable with orange or lemonade. I was very surprised that everything else was very neutral, even the first 250ml, basically no heads that I could taste so a very nice vodka; great for making gin or liquers. This recipe is definitely a keeper. :D
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Im glad you guys are enjoying the recipe.I knew it was a keeper. :lol:
shane79
Novice

Post by shane79 »

Hey guys,
Just put my first wineo brew down. Was amazed at how quick it started to bubble away. It was almost instant. Hopefully all goes well as im flying blind other than this awesome forum.
I forgot to measure the sg but im sure this wont matter to much.
I only have a reflux still at moment so will see how we end up with this recipe.
Im looking forward to the end result.
Keep up the good work to all, and thanks for imparting your wealth of knowledge.
CoopsOz
Distiller

Post by CoopsOz »

Shane, my only advice.....wait till it finishes fermenting fully, and run it slow. Nothing happens quickly in this hobby!
It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
carlos castenada
Novice

Post by carlos castenada »

Just finished refluxing wineos sugar wash last night, with great results. :D

i've now had a go at birdwatchers and wineos washes, both resulted in a great neutral spirit.
the only diference that i could note was that the tails in the tomato based wash were a stronger smell ?.

what can you say !!. cheers to you both.
RobM
Novice

Post by RobM »

Mr Wineo.

I have some Distiller's Nutrients from Brewhaus.

Ingredients:

Ammonium Phosphate, Magnesium Phosphate, micro nutrients, Trace Vitamins and Minerals.

Will this work or should I go buy some DAP?

Rob
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It will work,but it might not be as clean.I havent tried that stuff.
hsthompson
Novice

Post by hsthompson »

I was wondering I i could run this through a household type water filter to remove the spent yeast and whatnot? I have very limited space and time (roommates want there bathtub back)
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It would clog that filter up really fast.You can run it through some coffee filters.That will grab some of it,but you will have to change the filter often.Simply racking it off the yeast cake will make it clear much faster,and get rid of some of the co2,which will speed clearing.It doesnt have to be real clear to run it,but it will be cleaner if it is.I have some thats been setting for over a month and its clear as a bell.
hsthompson
Novice

Post by hsthompson »

thanks, what does" racking it off the yeast cake mean" I am not soo adept at all the lingo quite yet. Sorry if I am asking a simplistic question.
Also I am 36 hours in and the yeast seems to be going along at the same rate as the first 12( 1 good burp every 2 seconds) is this normal ?
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It sounds like its fermenting fine.Racking it is simply syphoning it into a clean container,but leaving the last inch of sediment behind.Wait until it stops bubling,and settles some before doing this.It will clear alot faster after racking,as long as its done fermenting,and dry.
vajravarahi
Bootlegger

Post by vajravarahi »

Well, I've fallen for the spell now. Running my first WPOSW. This is day 3, and getting one good plop every 3-4 seconds, nice amounts of bubbles, no foaming to speak of. Ambient temp about 77*F. Being a new bee, I couldn't exactly follow directions, but I think it'll be fine. What I did different was:

*used a mixture of FermAid and DAP
*used chalk (calcium carbonate) (a fine grade of artists chalk, no additives) instead of gypsum (because it was what I had lying around)
*used a blend of citric, malic, tartaric acids (cause that's what I had sitting around :D ), and 1 tbl instead of 1 tsp as that seemed to bring the pH closer to the 4.0-4.5 range (someone recommended this in a post as being a good pH range for sugar washes)
*used one packet of EC-1118, rehydrated and energized in a one gallon starter (5 hours before pitching it)

OG was only 1062. I weighed the sugar, I probably wasn't as accurate on measuring the water.

I want to thank everyone for their posts, as I think all the reading helped me understand the process better. I'll let you know how it comes out. (And if it comes out bad, I know I won't be blaming anyone here. :roll: )
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

So I want to try this one next. Got my sour plum mash going Tater's way and want to get something on the back burner. Something neutral for a change. Wineo, do I use gypsum if my well water is already hard? I'm expecting an obvious answer but I gotta know for sure.

Thanks
BD
I do all my own stunts
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It should be fine without it if your water is hard.
EuroStiller
Swill Maker

Post by EuroStiller »

Stupid Question to Follow
Although I know they say that know question is stupid. My fiancé got a brand new food grade HDPE (believe me I looked all over the thing to find that stupid number 2 with the HDPE triangle around it, only to hear her say “told ya so”) 30-gallon tank. Kinda like a Rubbermaid garbage can on wheels. It's even pre-drilled and has a grommet for an airlock! I'd be afraid to air lock that thing for the first few days. At any rate, we now have the ability to make a quadruple batch of WPOSW at a time. Up until this point, we have been making batches one after another and it’s been somewhat slow at times, and other times I’ll have batched of finished and cleared wash that need to be distilled, but no time to do it. So I have a few questions for you Mr. W. I've wanted to cut back on the amount of yeast that I use, even in a single batch, but I've been too much of a chicken shit to do it with talking to the master of the recipe! The last batch, we made a culture using only 1/4 cup (about gr. 25) of Red Star Active Dry bakers yeast and 3 packets of Lavalin EC-1118 (gr.15). We let the starter grow with in 5 dl (about ~17 ounces) of the wash base at 1075sg. We cultured the yeast for a good hour, at about 24°C/ ~75°F. During that time the wash base was kept tightly covered outside in the sun to stay warm. The yeast culture was integrated into the sugar wash base thoroughly and the pail covered loosely. Fermentation was carried out by day outdoors, as we had a good week of temperatures in the upper 80's. By night, the pail was brought in and kept warm with the addition of a couple of heating pads and some elastic cord. Fermentation finished in about 8 days due to the temperature and the fact that Saccharomyces cerevisiae likes a warmer environment. All I could think of was “It’s baker's yeast, it needs heat to multiply. So long as I don’t over do it, this will work out”. I made a few other changes/ additions to your recipe. The first was to add a bit of Saccharomyces bayanus (Lavalin). After de-gassing and racking the wash has a nice wine smell to it. We have done batches using half bakers and half Lavalin EC-1118, but I'm afraid that that the nature of this wash would kill an all Lavalin wash. I'm not sure and right now I'm waiting on 3- 500g bags to come in. Then I want to try an all EC- 1118 wash, just for s#its and giggles! Other changes: I replaced the Epsom Salt, which is actually Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate ( MgSO4·7H2O ), with pure Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4 ). I had to call the pharmacy one day to authorize refills for a patient. While I was doing that I was checking the message board/ form. I asked if the could get the pure form. They were able to order it I was shocked. So now I'm barely using a dusting of the stuff. I tried omitting it all together in one batch and it made a huge difference! Apart from that and the addition of the Lavalin, I think the only other change is my fiancé. After fermentation halts is when we do our first, major racking and de-gassing. She is like a crazed animal :lol: After the first racking she insists on de- gassing. She will pour the contents from one pail into another until the only bubbles that are left, are those from pouring, the kind that clear quickly. She just gets so into it. I want to film it and put it on YouTube or something. Freking hilarious. I don’t' know maybe you just gotta have a few in ya and see her doing it to truly appreciate it. :)

Okay so back to what I what to ask ya from the beginning. You have a terrific recipe, and I understand you put so much yeast in it to make it like a turbo. But…

A) If one wanted to cut back on the yeast, how far cut they cut back for a full batch?
B) And would that quantity be for Active Dry Yeast like Red Star OR Instant Yeast (SAF) where you use up to 25% less (In baked goods anyway)?

I know fermentation will take longer even if I start a culture first.

Sorry to go on, but I've been literally making GALLONS of WPOSW. We have already started making some of our liqueurs with your neutral as our base. Can't tell the difference! We just love the stuff :wink:

EuroStiller- The Doctor