Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr Clean
Novice

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash

Post by Mr Clean »

What about dextrose, any issues with WPOSW?
4" 10 plate column
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

The dextrose{corn sugar} will work just fine,but you would want to use an extra pound of it.IMO,its not worth using because of the price.Dont get me wrong,it will work fine,and it may make a little smoother drink,but theres not enough difference to justify the cost.I have tried it,but bought a 55 pound bag of the stuff.It was'nt much different.
Mr Clean
Novice

Post by Mr Clean »

wineo wrote:,but theres not enough difference to justify the cost.I have tried it,but bought a 55 pound bag of the stuff.It was'nt much different.
I'm getting a 50# bag of it for $17.50 which is cheaper than regular sugar, I have a 120# sitting here and want to use it.
4" 10 plate column
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I just ran 3 stripped washes of wineo's plain Ol sugar wash .. and after adding a small amout of bicarb I gave them a pass through the reflux collecting at 95+ , I have yet to find anything even close to this recipe .. Its odor less , tasteless and if it wasnt for the hot tingle in your mouth you would not know what it was not water .. and its not even aired any yet at all ... from now on this is the only recipe I will ever need for neutral for sure .. Thanks again wineo for sharing the recipe , im sure alot of trial and error went into this one ... no one just stumbles up on a recipe like this .. :D :D :D :D
Mr Clean
Novice

Post by Mr Clean »

I've got two fermenting right now, one is going for a week, SG is at 1.024, started at 1.078 seems very slow, followed recipe to the letter. How much bicard did you use in you reflux run? How much volume did you distill?
4" 10 plate column
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

1 teaspoon per qt. after I stripped 3 fifteen gallon washes that i saved up over some time .giving me right at 6 gallon for a reflux charge . ended up just a tad shy of 3 gallons @ 96 least close as i could read it . total reflux time 12 hours , I could have ran it little faster . I took it off kinda slow . time was no big deal. this is the cleanest neut. I think there is . soaking some fruit now.thats enough to last me a long time ..
Mr Clean
Novice

Post by Mr Clean »

new_moonshiner wrote:1 teaspoon per qt. after I stripped 3 fifteen gallon washes
Wow, that seems like a lot or am I missing something here, thats like a cup or more of baking soda. I did a reflux run with a few gallons and put in 2 tsp of soda and it had some taste but not sure if it was the soda or the wash. The left over product in the still has a 7+ ph and is very yellow.
4" 10 plate column
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

edbarcik44 wrote:
new_moonshiner wrote:1 teaspoon per qt. after I stripped 3 fifteen gallon washes
Sounded a bit high to me too and thought I was reading it wrong... I'd think 1 tsp per gallon would be more than enough - maybe still a bit too much...
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

I cant remember who suggested to me using 1 teaspoon per qt. thats a total of 12 teaspoons for 3 gallon of stripped wash.im thinking around 48 teaspoons are in a US cup .I did not add 1 teaspoon per qt before I stripped the wash . giving me 6 gallon of low wines . thats when you add it you add it after you do a stripping run to the low wines. the thread is on here somewhere .. it may not have needed that much .. but there was no side effects at all... I really dont even think it was needed . compared to another was of the same .. I could not tell any difference .Ill try to locate the thread ..
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

new_moonshiner wrote: .Ill try to locate the thread ..
Here Tiz
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Thank you Sir.
nikkow
Novice

Post by nikkow »

i would just like to add that i used 50grams of bakers yeast to find out 3 weeks later im only down to 1040 about 5% abv so i pitched another cup of bakers yeast and it's bubling like crazy again. So half a cup or even 1 cup will really speed things up and is very important.

thanks.
Mr Clean
Novice

Post by Mr Clean »

I've got one batch that has been going for three weeks now and the SG is down to 1.002 and started at 1.078, the other batch going for a few days less is at 1.010 and that started at 1.080, still a few bubbles coming up in the second batch, when does the ferment end, should I wait longer or just rack them and let them settle out? :D
4" 10 plate column
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

edbarcik44 wrote:I've got one batch that has been going for three weeks now and the SG is down to 1.002 and started at 1.078, the other batch going for a few days less is at 1.010 and that started at 1.080, still a few bubbles coming up in the second batch, when does the ferment end, should I wait longer or just rack them and let them settle out? :D
According to the calculator on the parent site you're at 9.8% and 9.0% so it all depends on how much more gain you'll get by waiting longer... If the bubbles are quite far apart then you probably don't have much to gain by waiting... If they are close together and regular then you might be able to realize marginal gains... Your choice...
jdonly1
Swill Maker

Post by jdonly1 »

Done another 2 batches of this up on Sunday(10 gallon lots)Its the first time it has ever foamed over every where :shock: .One was worse than the other.
Still I can handle that,one is nearly finished already :wink:
Mr Clean
Novice

Post by Mr Clean »

Finally finished my first batch of this recipe and right, it is clean, I didn't even do a strip run, rant it through the pot still, got around 85% and it tasted just fine.
4" 10 plate column
smeag
Novice

wineo's sugar wash gone wrong

Post by smeag »

Followed WPOSW to the letter... but used 2 packs of lalvin EC-1118 in a total 25L wash did everything to the letter but sugar content, I added 15.4lb sugar to yield 17% not to push it to the max of 18% starting SG 1.118 constant temp of 78-79°F after 5 days I'm at 1.110 with a bubble every 5-10 seconds. So yesterday I rehydrated 2 more packs of EC-1118 in 4 oz of water and threw it in, today no change in speed of bubbles. I went back to the brew shop that sold me the yeast and DAP, turns out it wasn't DAP it was ammonium phosphate with food grade urea. Wineos recipe calls for 1 tsp of DAP instead I put 1 tsp of the stuff the brew shop told me was DAP, I've found nowhere else in town that has DAP. My PH seems too low at 3.2, which may be my meter so I bought some test strips to see if calibrated right. What should I do now, chuck the whole mess? Add more of the nutrients that the brew shop sold me since I threw in 2 more packs of the 1118? I have an air stone should I aerate since I only have 1% alcohol after 5 days I shouldn't have to worry about turning vinegar. Will the urea make it taste like piss :cry:
thanks

Sorry if this seems similar to a post I made in another thread, felt like I was hijacking getting off topic of that thread.
“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

If you can,get 2 more containers,and rack 1/2 of your stuck wash into each bucket,then fill them both with water to top them off.By dropping the gravity,they should work,but your yeast thats in there is stunted,so add more.If you can,buy a pound of bakers yeast,and put a 1/2 cup in each one,and dont add anything else.It should ferment out fine.Next time follow the recipe. :lol: :lol:
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

smeag, what wineo said... I was gonna mention splitting the wash in the other thread... The lesson to learn is to not be so greedy about ABV... Get that idea of high ABV ferments out of your head, scrap any ideas about using Turbos, and just make more good clean low ABV wash... You'll save time, money, and aggravation (both yours and ours) in the long run...
smeag
Novice

derailed WPOSW back on track

Post by smeag »

Thanks for the help, and yes I'm a hard head that seems to have to learn the hard way sometimes. Believe me next WPOSW I follow the recipe!....just having a hard time finding plain distiller's yeast local and also only finding DAP only in a 50# bags so far, so an internet order will be sent out for the right ingredients. Anyway thats why the EC-1118 and the ammonium phosphate instead of DAP and distiller's yeast.
Here's what happened:
Monday diluted to SG 1.078 added 2 more packs of EC-1118
Tuesday SG went up so...
Tuesday added 250ml water with 2 tsp of yeast energizer and also added 250ml water with 1 and 1/2 tsp of calcium carbonate.
Wed SG is 1.068 and constant bubble thru air lock (1 per sec at least) so it sounds like my wash is saved.
“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It sounds like you saved it!For these washes to ferment clean and fast,you have to keep the starting gravity under 1080sg,or lower,and keep the additives to the minimum,and use a large amount of yeast.You should be able to find red star bakers yeast in 2 pound bricks for cheap locally.It does fine,just dont be afraid to use alot of it.I start mine about 1065sg.I do the same with rum washes.
Aussie Beamophile
Novice

Post by Aussie Beamophile »

Howdy y'all!

I put down my first WPOSW this afternoon and I am looking forward to running it through my new reflux column.

I went out for a few hours and came back to a yeasty wort fountain. I must have filled the fermenter a bit to much and she was blowin out the airlock at a huge rate. So the house smells like yeast and "her in doors" is grumpy.

This will be my first run on the reflux, must first neutral, my first WPOSW................. in fact. if it aint UJSM, then I aint done it yet, so wish me luck.

I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers,

Scott.
I'm a simple man with a heart of gold in a complicated land..................
Jimmy Barnes
smeag
Novice

update on WPOSW gone wrong

Post by smeag »

Just for a quick update:after 18 days 1.028 but still bubbling....the distiller Gods are teaching me a valueable lesson the slow way -"follow the recipe!"
Aussie Beamophile
Novice

Post by Aussie Beamophile »

howdy y'all

my first wposw ran like a dream.

I took off approximately 20 litres, from a 25 litre fermenter, after it settled out.

to get my second wash going I disolved my sugar, dap, citric, calcium and epsom in 10 liters of hot water in a seperate bucket.

added 10 liters of cold to this then tipped the lot back into the fermenter with the old yeast and sprinkled another 1/4 cup of yeast on top for good measure.

it got a light foam on top then stopped.

i started another 1/4 cup in warm water and sugar unti it foamed right up then added this to the fermenter.

still nothing.

it is either stuck or running so slow it is not bothering the airlock.

any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Scott
I'm a simple man with a heart of gold in a complicated land..................
Jimmy Barnes
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

to acid? you used "backset" and citric acid. I dont thank you want both. if you have a way to check PH do so.
add some calcem carbonat or other , to bing back to 5-6 ph
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

What Dnderhead said... He beat me to the post... You don't need to tweak your pH as much when using backset... With some sugar washes its best to just gather up and boil the old yeast and add it to your standard wash recipe... Or, considering how sugar washes are relatively inexpensive and somewhat consistent, it may not pay to reuse any portion of a previous wash...
Keyser Soze
Novice

Post by Keyser Soze »

I started my second batch of WPOSW yesterday night and I inverted the sugar and went with 3 lbs white sugar and 4 lbs dark brown sugar. The first batch I followed the recipe to the letter. I don't get that furious boiling that I always read about. It started fast ( kept the airlock in the air) but it would never have jumped out of the bucket in either wash. Both batches started at sg 1.065 I don't know the ph and the temp was a hair below 95 F. and are 5 gals. Am I doing something wrong, or does it not always get violent. I never had a cap form on any of the batches of anything I've made so far, and I don't know whether to stir it or leave it alone or .... Any suggestions.

E
There are none so blind as those who will not shut up and listen.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

It sounds like your right on track.Did you use the amount of yeast the recipe calls for?Depending on your water chemistry,and alot of factors,you may,or may not get the violent ferment.The key to success with this recipe is to follow the recipe to the letter,and dont add or change anything.I usually stir mine a few times in the first day or two.If you followed the recipe,it will do fine.It is also very important to let it clear real good,if you want it to be as clean as it can be.The yeast will cause some esters in the still,so get rid of as much as you can before running it.If you use all brown sugar,It will make a nice white rum.Add some fancy grade molassus,and it will be even better.Just stay with the low gravity.
Keyser Soze
Novice

Post by Keyser Soze »

Thanks Wineo,
I was curious about the ferment temp as well. When I start, it's right where it should be, but as the NY weather is cold, so is the house and it seems to do ok in about 72-75 f. I have been told that the water is high in iron, though I don't know how high. Other than that it is really tasty and crisp. No sulphur, hardly any residue when boiled off, seems to be low in minerals. I do like the recipie though, easy to follow. Does inverting the sugar in this wash make any difference or is it not really necessary ?
Also, used the right amount of non-distillers yeast, but should I have made a starter out of it or right in the bucket?

Thanks,
E
There are none so blind as those who will not shut up and listen.
Bootliquor
Novice

Post by Bootliquor »

Less filling and tastes great! My first effort is currently settling and 50% clear...the second using backset and the original formula (less yeast) is working at a normal pace. The taste of the first wash is pleasant...just alcohol and water. I have a hunch that using the finished wash with concentrated frozen fruit juice, lemonade for example, would make an excellent hard lemonade. Or cider. The possibilities abound. Just substitute the wash for water when mixing up. I haven't experimented yet, as I am waiting for the wash to clear.
To err is human, to moo, bovine
To err is human, to oink, porcine