SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Refined and tested recipes for all manner of distilled spirits.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: SBB's All Molasses Rum Recipe

Post by Yummyrum »

It will last just fine for months just in a seal top pale outside the fridge/freezer .
It won’t develop mould unless its constantly exposed to the air . I usually make Rum over Summer , so I often have Dunder sit in one of those pales for 6 months no worries . Its as fresh as when I put it in . Even better , a lot of crap has settled ti the bottom .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I just keep going generation after generation so have never tried to store the dunder. I'm guessing that freezing would be fine. Yummy has made a lot of all mollases rum so I'm sure his method will work also.
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Thanks to both of you!
rolling
Novice

Post by rolling »

Well, today I ran my 5th batch. I've saved a bunch of dunder and still have a 5 gallon pail of molasses on hand, but I've got to take a break for a few weeks to get other chores done. I put up about half with charred vs. unchared toasted oak in Ball jars. I used PTFE liners on all my jars with just the metal ring. For the angels share I put 4 holes in each lid with a pin. We'll see how that goes. It's been a great experience and I recommend it anyone. My plan is to let it sit in the attic of my shop and someday see if it was worth it. The whole Rum experience has been very rewarding so far.
crophopper
Novice

Post by crophopper »

Hey all!

I’m finally doing something other than a sugar/all bran wash. I’ve got my first 28L wash on and it’s hammering away - my garage smells amazing. I’m hoping to do 2-3 generations and get them on oak before I have to go away for work for a few months.

I have the typical still spirits setup with the t500 I was sold at the HBS a few years back and it has served me well but I also have their Alembic pot still to bang on top of the boiler. I’ve never run it so this will be my first crack. I’m hoping it works well because when I build my new shed (6-8 months away) I would love to have a go at building my own gear.

Anyways, as this is my first shot at the pot still ive been doing some (lots of) reading. The instructions that came with it recommended a stripping run and then a spirit run which sounds pretty standard but I just came across this again...

“I sometimes single run this wash through 4 plates , other times I strip a wash or two and then mix them 1/3 strip to 2/3 wash. Both ways give good results.”

Can anyone tell me, does this mean strip run off my low wines and then add them back into a wash to do a spirit run? I figure that might be to carry over extra flavour into the spirit run. But I’ve been wrong before. Any advice on how I should proceed would be fantastic.

Cheers! Adz
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

U
crophopper wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:15 pm “I sometimes single run this wash through 4 plates , other times I strip a wash or two and then mix them 1/3 strip to 2/3 wash. Both ways give good results.”

Can anyone tell me, does this mean strip run off my low wines and then add them back into a wash to do a spirit run?
Yup you read it right . But that is a guide for using a 4 plate still . Reason being is that 4 plate still works better with a higher AVB in the boiler .

If you are going to Pot still , you best to strip all your wash first , then do a spirit Run . All molasses wash has plenty of flavour ... don't you worry about that .
crophopper
Novice

Post by crophopper »

Excellent, thanks mate.
I was devising a plan this arv as I’m a bit short on time where I would split the remains of gen 1 into two FV’s and then run seperate full generations from there. Hoping to get essentially 5 gens worth in 3 runs so I have enough for a proper spirit run or two. Am I likely to run into any issues doing it that way? I know rushing things isn’t a good idea in this game but unfortunately it’s time to get my ass back to work soon.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Yummyrum said, ' don't you worry about that . ...'

Reminds me of a former Queensland premier.

Geoff
The Baker
crophopper
Novice

Post by crophopper »

Hey fellas,

Currently stripping off 50L of second generation but unfortunately - as with every time i get stuck right into having fun - I have to go back to the real world and head interstate for a few months of work.

I'm thinking i'll put all of my trub/old yeast bed into one fermenter and then throw 8L or so of hot dunder in on top to kill the yeast and set it aside for when I get back around august/september. I don't want to ruin my run at getting a few generations in and seeing how it affects the product. Can anyone see any problems with doing it this way?

Also, I'm going to age these two gens while I'm away. The Mrs has an old wine barrel I can cut some staves out of. These should do the trick yeah?

Cheers
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I seem to have missed a couple of posts here ,
crophopper wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:02 pm The Mrs has an old wine barrel I can cut some staves out of. These should do the trick yeah?
Yes that should work, old staves split easily, using a knife and hammer or chisel. Cut to length first before trying to split. I would use 1 stick about 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch x 4to5 inches per Litre. give the weathered side a bit of a clean.....if there is a red wine stain on the inside if the stave leave it there.....just adds flavour and colour imo
crophopper wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:02 pm I'm thinking i'll put all of my trub/old yeast bed into one fermenter and then throw 8L or so of hot dunder in on top to kill the yeast and set it aside for when I get back around august/september.
If you have fermenters with airlocks you could put down another wash and it will probably still be fine when you get home......just need to get someone to check the water in the airlock once a month.
Your call in the end how you do it.
On a side note if your running a t500 boiler you probably should use a controller to regulate the take off speed when you do the spirit run.....I use one of those boilers when making gi,n and at full power its way to fast to make a good rum in my opinion. You will get a lot of smearing at that take of speed I think.
crophopper
Novice

Post by crophopper »

Excellent Cheers Bill, and thanks for the recipe!
My first foray outside of just plain old sugar washes so I'm learning flat out.

Another quick question for you. How do you tell if the wash is properly cleared? That dark colour leads me to thinking that if I can see a good amount of sediment on the bottom thats as good as I might get. I suppose if I put another generation on and leave it a few months I will probably answer that one for myself though.

I have just managed to get a power controller through the post today - so I'm sunning it with my stripping runs to get a feel for how it performs. If I look for a good steady drip over the spirit run does that sound like about the right speed?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good that you already have the controller ...you wont need it for stripping ...just the spirit run.
I let mine sit for a week or so, then you can siphon off the wash ..99% of the sediment and yeast will be on the bottom by then. If you have fermenters with taps on them you can quickly flick the tap on to full with a container underneath. After about the first 400-500 ml the colour of the wash leaving the tap will change from a yeasty yellowish tinge to black. I toss the yellow bit into the yard then drain the fermenter via the tap. The tiny bit of sediment / yeast you get doing it that way doesn't really matter imo
peteturbo
Novice

Post by peteturbo »

Just trying my first rum wash.
My molasses has far more sugar content than expected!!! I used backset first and for various reasons used thehot backset to dissolve the sugar rather than the molasses. when it came to the molasses, i just dissolved them and made the whole set up to 21 litres (5 gallons +).
sg 1.10!!!!!
Bunged as much water as i dared into the tub and got it down to 1.094 with terrifying small headspace, but my washes rarely cream up loads, and this one behaved overnight.

Morale - know your molasses! I used 4L of horse molasses. Black, sugary, stinky - and thats the wash!!
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

peteturbo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 am I used backset first and for various reasons used thehot backset to dissolve the sugar rather than the molasses. when it came to the molasses,
Umm why did you add Sugar ? . Salty’s all molasses Rum uses ...all molasses .... don’t need to add sugar.
peteturbo wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 am sg 1.10!!!!!
Bunged as much water as i dared into the tub and got it down to 1.094
If you’ve ever made beer or wine or other sugar washes you probably would be freaking out . But don’t worry with Rum .

Salty’s all molasses Rum has an SG around 1.130
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

I have to wonder why you even posted in this thread if you used sugar......there are other threads and recipes out there for sugar washes...go find them.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

SBB,
Thanks for the recipe. Just made a bottle of 95 proof from some of my very young (6 months) aging stock that wouldn’t fit into the cask. Delicious, two fingers with a cube of ice. Really looking forward to how it will taste after 3 years in the used cask.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Good to hear that its been a success for you 8Ball, always good to get feedback, glad your enjoying it. :thumbup:
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

I just made a batch of this rum 2days ago and I am wondering what temperature I should ferment at ??
Thanks.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Depends on what yeast you used.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

30-35 C will keep bakers yeast happy, will go cooler but will be slower as well.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Ok. Thanks for the help.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Oh the yeast I'm trying is Lalvin EC-1118 . 2packets
And 10kg of fancy molasses.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

EC1118 wouldnt be my first choice of yeast. It's better suited to fermenting fruits and neutral sugar washes.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Sippin’ some this week that I laid up 8 months back. Honestly say it is amazing. Thanks SBB, for a grand sip.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Thank you for the compliment Yonder.....glad your enjoying it. It should continue to mellow and get better the longer it oaks.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

2ndstill wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 pm Oh the yeast I'm trying is Lalvin EC-1118 . 2packets
And 10kg of fancy molasses.
I suspect SBB didn't suggest using that yeast for very good reasons. I only use it for making bubbly champagne style products.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Ya I thought it may become a problem. It's still bubbling away after 5-1/2 days. But is slightly slowing down.
1-1/2 seconds between bubbles. Is there anything at this point that I could add to boost the fermentation a little ??
Or just leave it ?
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Just leave it . EC 1118 is a slow yeast . It will keep popping for weeks . Next time use Bakers ... it will be done in days .
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Pretty much agree with Yummy.....it will just be slower to finish.....just wait it out.
2ndstill
Novice

Post by 2ndstill »

Ok good. I'm in no rush. Next batch will be with the bakers yeast.. thanks again for the help